HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 10:09 PM

Permist filed For 19-Story Marriott Hotel In Downtown

https://whatnowatlanta.com/rendering...ntown-atlanta/
Quote:
Designed by Atlanta-based architecture firm Niles Bolton Associates, the hotel development would rise about 166 feet and total more than 200,000 square feet of floor area.

The developer leading the project is Houston-based investment and development company HarDam Hotels. It is listed in SAP filings alongside High End Investments LLC, which county records show acquired the project site of 355 Centennial Olympic Park Dr. for $3.8 million in March of 2019.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 12:22 AM

Atlanta. Part city. Part parking deck.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon. And this is a Hotel, what exactly would you have out of town guests do?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 5:17 PM

There are also folks that live in the metro area that stay in the city for events or to have a night out. A hotel without parking would be a hotel out of business.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Which would you prefer a parking deck or surface parking?

Maybe you would prefer a city without on-street parking or driveways for single family homes, and no garages for the suburbanites. IJS
Invest in a scooter, a bike or hoof it where you need to go...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Cars aren't going anywhere anytime soon. And this is a Hotel, what exactly would you have out of town guests do?
Lmao they can either pay for parking at one of numerous existing parking locations. And with one of the world’s busiest airports, I expect not everyone to have a car.

Not every project needs parking. We have an over abundance downtown.

Y’all are wild for thinking “what would out of town guests do” just assuming people have a car, are bringing one, or would want to pay to store it downtown. You’re not thinking through basic functionalities of a city and highlight how suburban your mindsets are.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Lmao they can either pay for parking at one of numerous existing parking locations. And with one of the world’s busiest airports, I expect not everyone to have a car.

Y’all are wild for thinking “what would out of town guests do” just assuming people have a car, are bringing one, or would want to pay to store it downtown. You’re not thinking through basic functionalities of a city and highlight how suburban your mindsets are.
Well bless your heart. Since you are comfortable hurling insults at multiple realists, I consider you to be a hard core urbanista that lives in some alternative universe. You are totally out of whack with reality.

A huge portion of our tourism and business is of the regional drive-to sort. Do you honestly believe visitors up from Tampa for the weekend arriving at night would seek out off-site parking Downtown? And so what if they flew? Do you want to shlep bags and maybe have kids in tow from the train at Civic Center Station to here? You may, but I can guarantee you that the large majority of people wouldn't even consider it.

You need to realize that without adequate parking lenders won't finance hardly any development, whether it be hotels, fantastic mixed-use projects, retail - or practically anything. Until there are robust alternatives in place, this will not change.

We don't live in an ideal world. It would be nice, but trying to separate people from their preferred method of mobility isn't going to work until there are safe and comfortable real options. Period.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:

I moved to NYC to live a car free lifestyle. When I visit ATL, I take MARTA to my parents house, then pick up a loaner car for my visit. Atlanta is not a car free city for 90% of people, yet, unfortunately. No hotel would receive funding without parking in 95% of situations. I believe the Hilton next to Mercedes Benz is such an exception

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 1:29 AM

Transit needs to happen. I would challenge many of you to think the opposite. I saw a video recently on YouTube from someone visiting Atlanta and trying out MARTA. When they actually tried to get out and walk like you would in any normal city, they kept getting mixed up and ending up on freeway ramps and roads designed as freeway ramps (141 connector in Buckhead).

The amount of the metro inaccessible by foot is unusually large, and in the course of human history, pretty bizarre.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And with the bolded comes one of the busiest rental car facilities

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:29 PM

Y’all are inflating cost of construction and passing it along to consumers by including parking when it isn’t needed in all projects. If you think every new hotel in the core of the city needs a new 5 story parking deck, you’re part of the problem.

Call me whatever you want.

This is just blatant ignorance and highlights how some of you are stuck in your ways and incapable of seeing the world through existing other lenses:
Quote:
trying to separate people from their preferred method of mobility isn't going to work until there are safe and comfortable real options
Less than a 30 minute trip from airport station to the hotel. 4 blocks away from the transit station.

To think some of you cannot even imagine not requiring parking is absurd. Where are each of you from?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Y’all are inflating cost of construction and passing it along to consumers by including parking when it isn’t needed in all projects. If you think every new hotel in the core of the city needs a new 5 story parking deck, you’re part of the problem.

Call me whatever you want.

This is just blatant ignorance and highlights how some of you are stuck in your ways and incapable of seeing the world through existing other lenses:
Tell it to the bankers that finance projects. You obviously haven't been out of school long enough to understand how the real world works yet. Until then, you need to move somewhere older and colder.

Until then, I take it you will be self-financing your utopia?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:44 PM

Answer me this, y’all haven’t gone on vacation to another auto centric American city where you didn’t rent a car?

Like you nor none of your friends haven’t been to another city where you only took lyft, Uber, transits, or a mobility device like bike share or e-scooter the whole time?

Is this a strange concept to you? If you haven’t, look into it. You’ll save a few hundred dollars on your next trip if it’s coming up soon. Most rental agencies are price gouging due to selling off their fleets at the beginning of the pandemic and now having little to no vehicular supply.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Tell it to the bankers that finance projects. You obviously haven't been out of school long enough to understand how the real world works yet. Until then, you need to move somewhere older and colder.

Until then, I take it you will be self-financing your utopia?
You’re ignorant enough to think if Atlanta lowers parking maximums that banks won’t finance more hotels in the city? Is your business exposure that limited?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:
You’re ignorant enough to think if Atlanta lowers parking maximums that banks won’t finance more hotels in the city? Is your business exposure that limited?
That hasn't happened yet, has it kid? I deal in the here and now, asshole. You would be much happier in Boston. You'll fit right in with that sparkling personality of yours.

Last edited by atlantaguy; Jun 20, 2021 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 11:37 PM

For the record, I think the city should have eliminated all parking minimums years ago, however I am just skeptical developers would want to build projects (right now) without parking due to financing and potential demand issues. I hope this will change in the near future. I also believe most convention tourists do not need a car when visiting downtown from the airport, however, many events, particularly sporting events, are visited by locals from the southeast, many of whom travel by car.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
That hasn't happened yet, has it kid? I deal in the here and now, asshole. You would be much happier in Boston. You'll fit right in with that sparkling personality of yours.
As said previously, call me whatever you want.

It’s been a national trend for years for hotels in urban cores to be built without parking due to lower construction costs and due to abundance of oversupply of parking in urban cores. Specifically, transit oriented places don’t need additional parking.

Some projects do share parking or offer a valet service to existing spaces. Point being, you don’t have to supply what already exists.

Related, Atlanta and Georgia Tech have had multiple parking studies for downtown confirming this over abundance.

Suggesting every project must have parking is pretty antiquated.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
For the record, I think the city should have eliminated all parking minimums years ago
There are no parking minimums for downtown, however the maximums allow for up to one parking space per room. This is the issue, where too much new parking is added by conservative developers and the city’s oversupply continues to grow unabated, impacting other modes of transportation and the livability of the neighborhood and connectivity of the city. Hotels have also been allocating less area to event and conference room space, meaning fewer people driving to the hotel for work related events. Meaning, less parking spaces are needed overall.

I do think the city needs to expand its no parking minimums across the entire city. In the same vein, the city should reduce parking maximums across the city. Or at least from the outer extend of the BeltLine overlay district and everything within back to Five Points.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Jun 21, 2021 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
For the record, I think the city should have eliminated all parking minimums years ago, however I am just skeptical developers would want to build projects (right now) without parking due to financing and potential demand issues. I hope this will change in the near future. I also believe most convention tourists do not need a car when visiting downtown from the airport, however, many events, particularly sporting events, are visited by locals from the southeast, many of whom travel by car.
A voice of reason.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 2:26 AM

Quote:
As said previously, call me whatever you want.
You're the one that started insulting multiple posters, I don't need your permission.

Quote:
It’s been a national trend for years for hotels in urban cores to be built without parking due to lower construction costs and due to abundance of oversupply of parking in urban cores. Specifically, transit oriented places don’t need additional parking.
Of course it's been a national trend for quite some time. That doesn't mean that one size fits all. The nearest off site parking to this particular hotel are the grungy surface lots across from the W. I wouldn't leave my car there overnight on a dare, and zero tourists with a functioning brain would either. This hotel is in an area dominated by tourism, specifically the Aquarium and related attractions around COP. The large majority of this market is arriving by car from surrounding States, or people passing through to or from Florida. They aren't taking the train.

Quote:
Some projects do share parking or offer a valet service to existing spaces. Point being, you don’t have to supply what already exists.
Yes, and lilli was a prime example of this. This hotel is not. There is no adjacent safe, secured excess parking. But you don't care.

Quote:
Related, Atlanta and Georgia Tech have had multiple parking studies for downtown confirming this over abundance.
What you conveniently fail to acknowledge is that parking spaces Downtown are shrinking, not growing. The two new apartment towers underway in Fairle-Poplar are erasing two blocks of surface lots.

Quote:
Suggesting every project must have parking is pretty antiquated.
If this particular hotel was forced to have zero parking, it would never be built. It would ensure failure in this particular location. But again, you don’t care. Your approach to urban planning is completely flawed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta