HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 10:35 AM
BANNED

Rising fast. Looks like that lot could have had a couple of these.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
New mixed-use development planned by Jamison Services at 3060 Olympic Boulevard. Seven stories, 226 apartments plus ground-floor retail. Architect is the KTGY Group.
I'm always in favor of more development, but it's sad that this building would take out one of the last remaining egyptian revival apartment buildings in LA, along with a few really great examples of bungalow courts.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:13 AM

L.A. Times

L.A. OKs Hollywood skyscrapers despite quake concerns

By Rosanna Xia

The Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety has signed off on geology reports that found that no active earthquake fault runs under the site of the Millennium Hollywood development, even though the state geologist last year concluded there was one.

The move ends a controversial two-year debate over whether two massive skyscrapers could be built safely due to seismic conditions.

New studies completed for the city by Millennium's geologist concluded an earthquake fault was probably located deep beneath the property. But city officials agreed with the developer that the fault was too old to be considered active.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...ry.html#page=1

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
L.A. OKs Hollywood skyscrapers despite quake concerns

By Rosanna Xia

The Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety has signed off on geology reports that found that no active earthquake fault runs under the site of the Millennium Hollywood development, even though the state geologist last year concluded there was one.

The move ends a controversial two-year debate over whether two massive skyscrapers could be built safely due to seismic conditions.

New studies completed for the city by Millennium's geologist concluded an earthquake fault was probably located deep beneath the property. But city officials agreed with the developer that the fault was too old to be considered active.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...ry.html#page=1
So the developer has cleared one giant hurdle. Now what? They have to redo the EIR to address the traffic concerns?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 2:37 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/large-multi-family-development-underway-marina-del-rey

AMLI Residential has broken ground on a 585-unit apartment complex in Marina Del Rey. Design is by TCA Architects.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 6:56 PM

I was wondering when construction is going to start in MDR. Glad to see it moving.

I think it is crazy that after 50 years, there are still a lot of land in MDR left for development. There is enough surface parking left in MDR to hold something like 15,000 cars. It's insane really.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 10, 2015 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 8:24 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

That's a nice project and a major transformation from what was there previously. Future developments on those piers must take advantage of the waterfront by providing promendades along the marina.

Also, why is there such a discrepancy in quality between a TCA-designed project such as this one and all their work in Downtown? I'm not entirely convinced that it's mostly due to budget constraints.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:48 PM

I hate to be the one whining about height but isn't Marina del Rey a prime place to allow for the construction of at least mid-rises? That seems like such valuable land and a place where people with $$$ would want to have a condo.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I hate to be the one whining about height but isn't Marina del Rey a prime place to allow for the construction of at least mid-rises? That seems like such valuable land and a place where people with $$$ would want to have a condo.
If MDR had better connectivity to mass transit, perhaps. As it is, MDR is already one of the denser parts of LA County thanks to it being unincorporated and not having quite so many hoops to jump through.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 10:55 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that a 6-story building is considered a mid-rise.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I'm pretty sure that a 6-story building is considered a mid-rise.
I guess I'm unfamiliar with the proper definitions. Maybe what I meant to say was something along the lines of "Shouldn't Marina del Rey get something better than waterfront 6-story shitboxes?"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 3:42 AM

I couldn't agree more, Steth.

Also, definition of Mid-Rise is not universal. Some say "4 to 11 stories", some say "4 to 8", over which it's a High-Rise. California Building Code definition of a High-Rise, though, is "75 feet or more".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:00 AM

Whether they're low-rise or mid-rise or whatever the point is that they don't make my dick-rise. Marina del Rey deserves much better.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Yeah, it'd be pretty incredible if all those piers were lined with glassy skyscrapers. Sort of like a grander, more modern version of the Venice canals.

It seems like LA has all the potential in the world to be truly incredible, but there are too many NIMBYs and not enough folks with the proper imagination/ambition. Sigh.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 11:31 AM
Ascension

Personally, I don't really want MDR to be lined with skyscrapers. MDR doesn't need them (not to mention the FAA not having any of it due to LAX nearby). If the piers of MDR were lined with buildings in the 6-10 story range, then that'll be more ideal than skyscrapers on the beach.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Personally, I don't really want MDR to be lined with skyscrapers. MDR doesn't need them (not to mention the FAA not having any of it due to LAX nearby). If the piers of MDR were lined with buildings in the 6-10 story range, then that'll be more ideal than skyscrapers on the beach.

True. Id rather see more high rises in Long Beach

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:09 PM
Ascension

Or Santa Monica. Like this thing.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wp-content...nveiled_01.jpg

What's the status of this anyway?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Or Santa Monica. Like this thing.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wp-content...nveiled_01.jpg

What's the status of this anyway?
But we all know that SaMo is probably th last place we can ever expect to see high-rises. That community will not allow it during our lifetimes.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
True. Id rather see more high rises in Long Beach
I'm a big Long Beach defender but it isn't hard to point out the many reasons why high rise condo living will never have the appeal that high rise living would have in other parts of LA. Breakwater with shitty beach, nearby port pollution (water and air), lower socioeconomics, kind of far removed from the more central parts of LA, etc. I lived there for a year and believe me high rises would be a great addition to an already nice skyline but who would pay those prices to live in Long Beach?!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 10:59 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
But we all know that SaMo is probably th last place we can ever expect to see high-rises. That community will not allow it during our lifetimes.
The 150 foot Herzog de Mueron one is moving ahead. I noticed demolition notices up for it the other day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations