HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:38 PM

Chaffin's is actually already looking better. I was amazed to see how much of the original structure had been covered up.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:13 PM

Vacant westside Tucson land could soon be handed to Rio Nuevo

TUCSON - A fifteen acre patch of unused land west of downtown Tucson is once again in the spotlight. For years the space near the Mercado San Augustin has sat empty.

Now there’s a new push to get it developed.

"It's nice to have this kind of development here on this side of town," said Mercado San Augustin visitor, Dennis Bergquist.

The open air market is home to cafes and shops, like Mellow Lund's boutique 'Mast.'

From her corner unit, she can see even more space sitting vacant across the street, land just waiting for development. She says she's OK with it if it takes awhile for construction to begin.

“I’d rather it be done thoughtfully and with good aesthetics than something that just gets slapped up because it can."

Originally the developer, Gadsden Company, had planned to build 160 houses and a parking garage in the area. But a down economy stalled development, and now the bonds are up.

"It’s sad really, it needs to be built up and used," said Vonnie Bergquist, another Mercado San Augustin visitor.

The City of Tucson is considering handing its stake in the west side property over to the Rio Nuevo Downtown Development and Revitalization District.

Rio Nuevo has offered to pay the city for what it is due in exchange for the land, and then cut its own deal with Gadsden.

"I’m very excited about it. I think it's a great move and I think that it's going to move forward," said Lund.

If the project still does not produce, Council Member Steve Kozachik says Rio Nuevo could take over as sole owner of the property

http://www.kvoa.com/story/31297437/v...d-to-rio-nuevo

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:43 PM

Plans for the Monier apartments were submitted on Monday. No documents uploaded to PRO yet, though.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Plans for the Monier apartments were submitted on Monday. No documents uploaded to PRO yet, though.
Do you think it is really happening? I know the rumor is that funding was found, but I am always suspicious

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Do you think it is really happening? I know the rumor is that funding was found, but I am always suspicious
Construction permits have an expiration date, so this seems pretty serious.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 3:40 PM

I was over at La Placita yesterday and was told tenants will be shut down soon to prepare for demolition.

Any word on the University Marriott? Construction was originally planned to start in December and still nothing is going on over there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiller5 View Post
I was over at La Placita yesterday and was told tenants will be shut down soon to prepare for demolition.
Have they submitted plans for the lot, or are they going to tear it down first and then decided what to do? Given the track record of some downtown developers this could be another Thrifty block, vacant for years, but much larger.

Or potentially worse, they are just planning on throwing up some 3-story suburban apartment complex in the middle of downtown.

Also, any reason why they haven't done anything with Hotel Arizona/Holiday Inn/Raddison? Is it really in that bad shape that it couldn't be renovated? Given that they turned the Plaza into an Aloft, I would think that something could be done with it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:29 PM

Everyone I know in the business community agrees it's very difficult to get anything done here. The local developers don't have the resources, and major out of town money is not interested in taking on the huge risks involved with development here. Remember the Portland development company that was going to be involved with the Martin Luther King apartments and the Rialto? They took off running back to Portland within 6 months of arriving. The City Council usually makes the process much more cumbersome and difficult than necessary, and Karen Uhlich has demanded developers set as much as 30% of their projects for low income and subsidized housing. Remember Stone/Speedway empty lots? No developer is going to invest millions of dollars when they realize those conditions will guarantee the project is unprofitable. I would be thrilled if even half the downtown projects being considered right now make it to the development stage.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:16 PM

Renderings have been posted for the Westerner project at 10 E. Broadway. My only beef is the west facing elevation of the new 6-story structure. Looks prison-like.

EDIT: The top rendering has been superceded by the other renderings, which is unfortunate, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 7:51 PM

A chain out of Florida that recently got into the franchise game is converting the former gas station on the northeast corner of University and 4th into a restaurant.

http://jimmyhulas.com/

Yelp reviews seem pretty solid although I'm not sure how well a chain will do there.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 8:53 PM
Skyriser

That addition looks terrible. I would expect that sort of thing to be the "before" picture, not after.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 3:19 PM

http://tiboaz.biz/2016/03/08/florida...-onto-4th-ave/

Who are the "many . . . concerned" (yet uncited) business owners?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
http://tiboaz.biz/2016/03/08/florida...-onto-4th-ave/

Who are the "many . . . concerned" (yet uncited) business owners?
Dairy Queen, Bison Witches, Hippie Gypsy are all chains. The Maloney's near ASU and NAU had a similar vibe, that my be a chain too.

I think it's OK to distinguish between Chipotles or Burger Kings and something like a Chiba Hut or Silver Mine. Those are college town franchises, and mostly regional. Not a big threat to the appeal of 4th Ave.

Besides, I can't imagine that concept will thrive here.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:26 PM

The Westerner...I have to say its an improvement, however perspective-wise...look at its current state. That first rendering is okay, it has windows on the western wall. A little resemblance to the Federal Court house on Granada/Congress, but its alright. If the 2nd rendering(s) are the most current...I don't know what to think. What pool of architects do these downtown developers pull from? These reciprocal architects steal/borrow and are inspired by too many architectural features of other buildings in downtown...and they are not always the best features. Why can't we have new, slick, modern buildings like Austin, Texas or other parts of the country? As CRITICAL our fellow Tucsonans can be...its amazing how these guys put this stuff out. Overall, I'm glad they are putting in more density. I read somewhere that they could have gone as high as 12 stories, so I'm curious to know the details behind the decision to go 6.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 1:40 AM

Not impressed with the Westerner Project renderings. They should've hired the architects who renovated the Aloft Hotel. Sad. And so goes Tucson's obsession with the past when other cities are moving forward toward the future.

Tucson's Motto - Keep it ugly Tucson!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:01 PM

Looks like the Stone Avenue Homes project started today. Crews are removing the pavement as I type.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Looks like the Stone Avenue Homes project started today. Crews are removing the pavement as I type.
Have they released any floor plans or additional details? All i have seen is that elevation that has been floating around

Last edited by crzyabe; Mar 17, 2016 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Have they released any floor plans or additional details? All i have seen is that elevation that has been floating around
I haven't seen anything. I'm not connected or plugged-in at all, I can just see the site from my office.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen anything. I'm not connected or plugged-in at all, I can just see the site from my office.
My office is right by there too. I used to park in that parking lot before they fenced it off. Then we moved behind the Scottish Temple before they fenced that off. Now we're next to the Scottish Temple.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Here is their full development plan they submitted to the city. Has a lot more info, ground floor = parking and foyer, second floor = living and kitchen, third floor = bedrooms.
http://tucson.siretechnologies.com/S...6095518871.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest