HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:09 PM

To be honest - I didn't like this building very much when it was just a concrete skeleton but now with the cladding on I think it looks superb! Great pictures everyone, keep updates coming!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:33 PM
Editor/Ilustrador/Mod

For me, looks more gorgeous every day, that human-made stalagmite shows the 3rd millenium new step for human architecture history, I'm glad to see how this new icon grows, Thanks again Imre for sharing

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:17 PM

Couple quick snapshots from today.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 11:28 PM
Ex Houstonian

God that thing is massive! Its incredible! I cant believe it at all!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
God that thing is massive! Its incredible! I cant believe it at all!

I can.

And yea this thing is huge. Some of those skyline pictures the burj dubai completely dominates.
Transportation

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 5:56 PM
Dubai

Four-month Burj delay due to interior design

by Dylan Bowman on Wednesday, 05 March 2008

INTERIOR DESIGN: Emaar said the delay to construction of the Burj Dubai was down to ensuring quality of the interior.
The four-month delay to construction of Emaar Properties' Burj Dubai is related to the interior design of the tower, the developer said late on Tuesday.

Emaar said in a statement it would rather see a "nominal" delay to the project than compromise the quality of building's interior.

"The company would rather opt for a nominal delay in total quality execution of the Burj Dubai interiors than compromise on any aspect of quality," the developer said.

"...several design considerations for the interiors were rejected at various stages of the project development."

The statement follows remarks by Emaar Chairman Mohamed Alabbar earlier on Tuesday that the Burj Dubai was four months behind schedule and might now not be finished by the end of this year as originally planned.

"We are about four months late," Alabbar said at a conference in Dubai, without going into further detail.

Emaar said last month construction on the tower had been stepped up to meet an "accelerated schedule", without giving further details.

An Emaar official said in July the Burj Dubai would open sometime before Christmas this year, which means the tower may not now be finished until spring 2009.

The Burj Dubai currently stands at just over 600 metres, over 90 metres higher than the world's tallest building, Taiwan's Taipei 101, and over 40 metres higher than the world's tallest free-standing structure, Toronto's CN Tower.

The only structure now left for the Burj to overtake is the KVLY/KTHI television mast in Blanchard, US, which measures 628.8 metres.

The Burj Dubai will not be officially recognised as the world's tallest structure until it is completed.

Emaar has remained tight lipped over the final height, but it is rumoured to be between 700 and 1,000 metres.

Local media reports last year said the final height would be 818 metres, citing architects drawings posted on the internet.

The Burj Dubai is to be the centrepiece of a city within a city, Downtown Burj Dubai. The $20 billion development as a whole will include 30,000 homes, nine hotels, 6.2 acres of parkland, 19 residential towers, the Dubai Mall, and a 30-acre manmade lake. The development will cost around $20 billion.

(arabianbusiness.com)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 7:35 PM

Can anyone tell me how many stories the metal part is going to be. It would be a pretty good-size building all by itself.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Will there be only one residence per floor in the steel section? What is the square footage?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 2:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I think there won't be any condos in the steel part and there aren't gonna be that many steel floors anyways.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 12:53 PM

Right now it´s a bit above 600m. So there gonne be round about 20-30 steel floors? It´s just a guess.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:47 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Will there be only one residence per floor in the steel section? What is the square footage?
Someone quoted earlier in the thread that the top floors will be around 2400 or 2500 square feet. I imagine these floors would be residences. Those would be the most desireable floors in the building!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSprawler View Post
Someone quoted earlier in the thread that the top floors will be around 2400 or 2500 square feet. I imagine these floors would be residences. Those would be the most desireable floors in the building!
maybe for some.....but to me why be THAT high? i would wanna be around the 1500 ft mark i think, but i probably never will have a choice anyways lol

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:47 PM

^
Yeah, me neither.
Besides, if it's close to 162 floors, then how can it be 2,500 ft?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:34 PM
HERO

the top floors are just structural support for the pinnacle, correct? there will be nothing in them, the top floor was already passed, wasnt it? maybe im wrong, but thats what i always thought...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:26 PM

Talking

I'm guessing it will be really exciting at the top during a thunderstorm. . Everybody hang on.

It will also be great for base jumping.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:21 AM

Thunderstorm.Maybe a sandstorm.They would be lucky to get any rain!
Cool looking building.It looks like 2 trump Chicago's one on top
of the other.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

The last habitable floor will be the office for the CEO of EMAAR. There cannot be over 20 steel floors, they wouldn't hold the weight of the Spire up.

Most will be mechanical anyways and they have a large square footage because they don't have as much concrete as the other floors. The core it's self takes up 2,500 square feet at the top and the steel floors will be built right on top of the core.

Base jumping would be extremely fun if you didn't land on one of the step sections. Or if the wind didn't push you towards the building and fell to a horrible death where your body would land on a Rolls Royce sending you all over the place.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 1:42 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

The top floor has NOT been passed yet, they have a few more to go, then its all mechanical and spire stuff.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 11:15 AM

It´s a bit old but what about this one?

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7325/bdoct10xl9.jpg

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 2:03 PM
Dubai

07/March/2008

Burj Dubai

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive