HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:19 AM
http://www.archiseek.com

can someone give me a synopsis of any good architecture in fargo....
going to be down there later in the summer

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:19 AM
still here

Yup. It's being built now. On the picture in front of the site, it looks like it's going to have a glass foyer. It's right next to Ruby Tuesdays and the Storage Company.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:24 AM
still here

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=104164 Here is a link to SmileyBoy's photo thread. It has many pictures of Fargo's downtown buildings. Some are new and some are old. A lot of them are old so it has the architecture from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:34 AM
still here

By the way Smiley, what do you think the metropolitan population and Fargo's population are as of right now. I'm guessing 215,000 for the metro area and 103,000 for the city of Fargo.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
By the way Smiley, what do you think the metropolitan population and Fargo's population are as of right now. I'm guessing 215,000 for the metro area and 103,000 for the city of Fargo.
Well, if you take the annual percentage growth from 1990-2000 and apply that to this decade, Fargo at this moment should have somewhere between 103,000-104,000 people. I'm not sure if the rate of growth is faster or slower in the 2000's than in the 90's, so I'm making an assumption that it's the same. And I'm not concerned about the metro pop. too much, but I would think it's definitely over 210,000 now for the 4 counties. What I'm interested in though is the urban area, that is, the populations of all the cities that border each other (Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo, Dilworth, Horace, etc.). People on SSP agree that this category is the TRUE measurement to how big a city is compared with another. And I think that with West Fargo growing like it is (almost 22,000 at the last city estimate), I would think the urban area is approaching 170,000 by now. That's almost the population of Regina, Saskatchewan. So I think we're definitely on our way.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:51 AM
still here

I thought our urban population was 184,000.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:56 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
I thought our urban population was 184,000.
You must be thinking of an old metro area figure...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:04 AM
still here

Oh, probably. Anyways this new building by Ruby Tuesdays looks likes it's going to be something really nice. Also in the Eagle Run Plaza, a Cloud Nine Day Spa is going in as well as another Tannning thing. Another Anytime Fitness went in at the Shoppes on Highway 10 in Moorhead. Snap Fitness is now up on 19th and the new Bremer Bank they built up there is quite the structure. The new Middle School that they are building in West Fargo on 40th Ave. South (right north of Osgood) is coming along nicely as well as the Carl Ben Eielson Middle School in Fargo. Speaking of 40th Ave., they are starting to widen it as well as 45th Street. That's the one thing I hate about Fargo is that who ever is in charge of the roads always waits until the roads get driven on enough to widen them instead of making it 4 or 6 lanes right away.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 7:13 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Hey Archiseek,

We've got lots to offer if you're driving around looking for nice architecture.

Hotel Donaldson - Classic Brick Structure dating back to the early 1900's which has been completely rennovated on the outside and remodeled on the inside with a new chic/tech look.

Butler Manufacturing Training Center - Nice Modern Brick Design with clean lines and a heavy presence about it.

NDSU Downtown - This early 1900's building has been completely rennovated to house NDSU's Art and Architecture studio's. Original wooden floors have all been restored and the original building supports are still used as support columns. Very well done project ($10,000,000+).

Main Avenue Memorial Bridge - Yeah, I know, a bridge is a bridge, but it's definitely the best your going to see in North Dakota. It has towering steel pillars that glow with Neon colors at nighttime.

NDSU Research II (NDSU Research and Technology Park) - The second building housing the Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering as well as multiple startup companies. It's very clean simple and efficient looking. Green glass panels liven the building up nicely. You can request a tour in advanced I believe, but the building has controlled access.

Plains Art Museum - Downtown Fargo. I believe it's the largest museum in the state, and one of the cooler looking ones. It should be twice as large as it is though.

Microsoft Campus - It currently has two large buildings, the newest one to the north end of the campus has all the high tech anemities from windows automatically adjusting light input into the building based on temp and ambient light to other cool security things. Keep in mind this campus has it's own security so you will only be able to drive by.

For most of the classics though, stick downtown. You can usually turn around a corner and see original buildings from the early 1900's. Many are currently being restored and other are also planned in the future. I hope you enjoy your visit Archiseek and that we don't disappoint. Ask the locals when you get here, for their opinions too. They are quite friendly.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
Hey Archiseek,

We've got lots to offer if you're driving around looking for nice architecture.

Hotel Donaldson - Classic Brick Structure dating back to the early 1900's which has been completely rennovated on the outside and remodeled on the inside with a new chic/tech look.

Butler Manufacturing Training Center - Nice Modern Brick Design with clean lines and a heavy presence about it.

NDSU Downtown - This early 1900's building has been completely rennovated to house NDSU's Art and Architecture studio's. Original wooden floors have all been restored and the original building supports are still used as support columns. Very well done project ($10,000,000+).

Main Avenue Memorial Bridge - Yeah, I know, a bridge is a bridge, but it's definitely the best your going to see in North Dakota. It has towering steel pillars that glow with Neon colors at nighttime.

NDSU Research II (NDSU Research and Technology Park) - The second building housing the Center for Nanoscale Science and Engineering as well as multiple startup companies. It's very clean simple and efficient looking. Green glass panels liven the building up nicely. You can request a tour in advanced I believe, but the building has controlled access.

Plains Art Museum - Downtown Fargo. I believe it's the largest museum in the state, and one of the cooler looking ones. It should be twice as large as it is though.

Microsoft Campus - It currently has two large buildings, the newest one to the north end of the campus has all the high tech anemities from windows automatically adjusting light input into the building based on temp and ambient light to other cool security things. Keep in mind this campus has it's own security so you will only be able to drive by.

For most of the classics though, stick downtown. You can usually turn around a corner and see original buildings from the early 1900's. Many are currently being restored and other are also planned in the future. I hope you enjoy your visit Archiseek and that we don't disappoint. Ask the locals when you get here, for their opinions too. They are quite friendly.

cheers... planning on adding fargo to the website

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 3:47 PM
Steel City USA

I was gonna say i thought that Fargo had a bigger population in its urban area than 150,000. Someone is the city-data forum said that FM area had about 150,000. This is what they said.

Quote:
About Fargo and Bismarck....both are growing cities...in an area where overall rural population has been slowly declining. Lots of shopping, businesses, etc in both cities (as well as in Grand Forks and Minot too). Fargo is larger, with its entire metro area (including West Fargo and Moorhead MN) about a pop of 150,000....and Bismarck-Mandan having a pop of about 80,000 +/-.

Both cities are clean and have good public schools and new housing construction. Fargo is in the Red River Valley and is flat (same as Grand Forks) and we have typically very cold winters with frequent light snows and blowing snow...cold meaning average highs in January from zero to 15 above and lows 10 below to 30 below. But conditons are variable, and some winters have only very short cold periods....much even the warmest winter up here is much colder than winters in Bowling Green. Once it snows the snow is on the ground in Fargo area for the balance of the winter season (Dec 1-Mar 15) so snowmobiling and ice fishing are things a lot of people do in the Red River valley and northwest Minnesota. Now in Bismarck....they warm up to 32 or higher much more frequently (we call that area from Bismarck to Dickinson the banana belt) and snow cover is much less there...but they can get very cold too, but just less times.
The person was interested in moving to North Dakota from Bowling Green, KY. I guess the guy who wrote it was also from KY. Just wanted to clear that up. FM is around 170,000 then.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:01 PM

when i'm here, whats the nicest hotels in town?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:03 PM

The nicest hotels in town are in this order :

Hotel Donaldson
Ramada Plaza Suites
Radisson
Holiday Inn near the Mall

after that it's your normal typical hotel...

If you want to stay in a brand new hotel, you can stay at the Candle Wood Suites located in NDSU's Tech Park, but you sound like you want a nicer hotel.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:31 PM

thanks for that... looking forward to visiting your city

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 4:59 PM

I drove by that development FMisthebest on 23rd Ave S and 25th St. It's advertised as available class A office space, so it will be quite nice. From the images of the it on the Billboard it will be a decent looking place. Right now, only the foundation is poured.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:50 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
The nicest hotels in town are in this order :

Hotel Donaldson
Ramada Plaza Suites
Radisson
Holiday Inn near the Mall

after that it's your normal typical hotel...

If you want to stay in a brand new hotel, you can stay at the Candle Wood Suites located in NDSU's Tech Park, but you sound like you want a nicer hotel.
Don't forget Staybridge Suites and Homewood Suites. They are nice as well.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2006, 5:53 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer1708
I was gonna say i thought that Fargo had a bigger population in its urban area than 150,000. Someone is the city-data forum said that FM area had about 150,000. This is what they said.

The person was interested in moving to North Dakota from Bowling Green, KY. I guess the guy who wrote it was also from KY. Just wanted to clear that up. FM is around 170,000 then.
The urban area is around 170,000 with the metro population around 215,000 (or 210,000). It was around 150,000 a long time ago. I don't no the exact year though.

By the way Archiseek, you can visit www.fargomoorhead.org . It's the CVB's website. They don't have everything on the website, like all the restaurants, but it's a good website.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 6:20 AM
still here

Here's a picture of Grand Forks and Fargo from Google Earth. I didn't relize how big Fargo-Moorhead is compared to Grand Forks, until I saw this picture.

I call it "Fargo vs. Grand Forks."

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 5:05 PM
Steel City USA

Ok the time is coming for me to head over to Fargo. I remember telling everyone that i was heading there in August. Im looking into flying over there. Driving through the plain states is quite boring and i dont want to go through that again, lol. Are there flights from Fargo to Pittsburgh Int'l? If not are there other places around here that i can fly out of? If not looks like i will be driving. Also what are some good areas to visit and good ideas for a hotel?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2006, 5:55 PM

Hey Paintballer, you're best bet is to go the NWA or United route. Our direct flights are limited to :

Minneapolis (NWA)
Chicago (United)
Denver (United)
Salt Lake City (Delta)
Las Vegas (NWA, Allegiant)

So you would probably be making one stop, but shouldn't be more than that. In terms of Hotels :

More Luxurious------
Hotel Donaldson (Fargo Downtown)
Ramada Plaza Suites (Fargo, West Acres Mall Area)
Radisson (Fargo Downtown)

Slightly Higher End--
CourtYard by Marriott (Moorhead)
Holiday Inn (Fargo, West Acres Mall Area)

Normal Hotels-------
Candlewood Hotel (Fargo, NDSU Research Park (Just Opened))
Howard Johnson (Fargo, Downtown)

Here's a listing of all hotels in the area :

http://www.fargomoorhead.org/lodging...p?page=listing

You can also find all the restaurants listed on that site as well.

If you'd like some suggestions, let us know what you're interested in (American, Steak, Italian, etc...) and will point you in the right direction...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest