HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 5:57 PM

Whatever it is, the economy is not a negative externality on this project at least not currently.

Here's the revealing bit of information that came from them:
Quote:
"As we get that hotel operator online, they are going to have a lot of impact on the function of the building, and ultimately the height of the building," Guziewicz said.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/proper...ped?q=autoplay

They also contracted a brokerage for the office component. So I guess we'll see what happens with this hotel. God knows this city needs major hotel space so I don't think this looks too bad. I mean they've been drilling major caissons into the foundation already, this will be a tall building of some sort.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 5:59 PM

So I remember telling people that there are no concrete plans for this tower, and also remember being roundly criticized, called anti-Detroit, etc.

As Bedrock makes very clear, they have no specific designs for the tower portion of this project and aren't even sure of the uses and tenant mix. Right now they're just working on the retail podium.

IMO this thread should probably just be "Hudsons redevelopment" and leave it at that. And definitely shouldn't be u/c.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:04 PM

Bummer. That last tower design was sweet.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

IMO this thread should probably just be "Hudsons redevelopment" and leave it at that. And definitely shouldn't be u/c.
Good thing not a soul on here cares about your opinions. It's undeniably under construction.

Video Link

I'm sure every tower caisson drilled physically hurts you.

And you're still wrong, the plan has been hotel+residential since the height increase, that hasn't changed.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:34 PM
Ex Houstonian

Hold on, did this get reduced in height or something?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
No it didn't, they had an update at the site with some journalists and they asked loaded questions for headlines. Bedrock doesn't confirm or deny anything, they say the final height will depend on the needs of the hotel.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, the height was never finalized (and still isn't), but it's now less likely to be the tallest building in the city and the state. Chances are it will be shorter than the Ren Cen or about 727 feet. A lot depends on the hotel portion of the tower.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:52 PM

The height has not been officially reduced. Bedrock stated that the height of the tower will ultimately depend on the needs of the hotel that ends up occupying the tower. If the hotel ends up being smaller than expected, the tower will most likely be shorter than expected as well.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Good thing not a soul on here cares about your opinions. It's undeniably under construction.
No, it actually isn't, per Bedrock. Are you claiming the developer is lying about their own project?

The retail platform is u/c, but this thread isn't about a retail platform. There is no tower u/c on this site, so this thread shouldn't be in the "skyscraper and highrise construction" section.

And there are no official plans for any tower, yet. The details, at this point, are purely speculative. There are no tenants, no specs, nothing.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
The height has not been officially reduced.
This is true, but misleading. The height has not been reduced because there is no official height, yet.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
No, it actually isn't, per Bedrock. Are you claiming the developer is lying about their own project?

The retail platform is u/c, but this thread isn't about a retail platform. There is no tower u/c on this site, so this thread shouldn't be in the "skyscraper and highrise construction" section.

And there are no official plans for any tower, yet. The details, at this point, are purely speculative. There are no tenants, no specs, nothing.
October 09, 2018

Hudson's site tower details revealed in city documents

So I guess Bedrock sent this to the city just for funsies.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:25 PM

SIGH, my main reason for checking this site almost daily is to learn the latest news on this building. We have had mostly good news in the past couple years, but finally get this bad news. Strictly speaking this is still just *potentially* bad news, but we all know that the likelihood of a height reduction has now gone way up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ not just a height reduction; the article makes it sound like the new tower probably won't even beat the ren cen's 727' height to take the tallest in the city crown.

i mean, it's one thing to go from 912' down to 790' or so, but to go from 912' all the way down to something like 650', that would be disappointing.
This is my concern as well. Hopefully it will still be at least 728 ft, even with the help of a spire. I just hope its structural height will beat the Ren Cen's, even though its roof height may not, similar to how L.A. got a new tallest building when the Wilshire Grand Tower's spire surpassed the US Bank Tower's roof. If the Hudson Tower does rely on a spire, I hope it would be much more prominent than Wilshire Grand's.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:27 AM

The tower portion is 100% under construction, as they've been installing massive caissons at the tower side for a while now. It would make zero sense to keep doing this if the project was just a retail platform. It might not be 900+ feet tall, but the tower is happening. Amazing how quick people are to say this project won't even happen just because Bedrock didn't confirm a leading question from a reporter.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
The tower portion is 100% under construction, as they've been installing massive caissons at the tower side for a while now. It would make zero sense to keep doing this if the project was just a retail platform. It might not be 900+ feet tall, but the tower is happening. Amazing how quick people are to say this project won't even happen just because Bedrock didn't confirm a leading question from a reporter.
Regardless the fact that Gilbert is constructing this and his other projects at all is a major win for Detroit seeing how it was just 10 years ago and yes I agree people tend to be much more cynical about Detroit for good reason but I think we should be fine

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:51 PM
The Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
Agreed.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
October 09, 2018

Hudson's site tower details revealed in city documents

So I guess Bedrock sent this to the city just for funsies.
I don't know what you're referring to. When did anyone claim that Bedrock has never submitted any sort of documentation?

Again, what I have repeatedly said, is that, as of now, there are no official, public plans for this site and no building permits pulled. Bedrock doesn't appear to have finalized plans. Maybe they're just teasing us, but there have been like 10 different versions of this tower over the last few years, so it doesn't seem like they're playing coy. In 2016 there was supposed to be a university and no mention of a hotel. Oh, and construction was imminent then, too.

The site, at least how I read SSP rules, isn't even u/c. The caissons are to stabilize the foundation, which has been there for 20 freakin years. If it's technically u/c because the foundation is complete than it should be u/c already for 20 years, since the garage opened in 1999.

When the former building was demolished, they built a huge underground garage, which was the foundation for a future building. But they screwed up the garage engineering, so in order to building anything on the site, the foundation has to be rebuilt. But the fact that the foundation is finally being fixed does not mean that tower plans are finalized.

I do think a tower will eventually rise, and I do think it will be a landmark. But, right now, it's speculative.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 9:19 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
I don't know what you're referring to. When did anyone claim that Bedrock has never submitted any sort of documentation?

Again, what I have repeatedly said, is that, as of now, there are no official, public plans for this site and no building permits pulled. Bedrock doesn't appear to have finalized plans. Maybe they're just teasing us, but there have been like 10 different versions of this tower over the last few years, so it doesn't seem like they're playing coy. In 2016 there was supposed to be a university and no mention of a hotel. Oh, and construction was imminent then, too.

The site, at least how I read SSP rules, isn't even u/c. The caissons are to stabilize the foundation, which has been there for 20 freakin years. If it's technically u/c because the foundation is complete than it should be u/c already for 20 years, since the garage opened in 1999.

When the former building was demolished, they built a huge underground garage, which was the foundation for a future building. But they screwed up the garage engineering, so in order to building anything on the site, the foundation has to be rebuilt. But the fact that the foundation is finally being fixed does not mean that tower plans are finalized.

I do think a tower will eventually rise, and I do think it will be a landmark. But, right now, it's speculative.
This guy clearly missed the reason for the demolition of the garage and its foundation that's been going on over the last year and the drilling of completely new caissons for the tower.

The whole reason it was demolished was because the existing foundation (which was built and ready for a tower of like ~16-20 stories) was to accommodate a much, much larger development. It did not have such terrible structural issues that it could not have been prepared at a much lower cost than demolishing the whole damn thing and starting from scratch.

Do you even read, man? It's like you keep popping your head into a theater at different parts of a movie and shouting at the people that have followed the plot from the start that they are all just lucid dreaming and it's all just a figment of their goddamn imagination.

Maybe if you just keep repeating it, it'll come true? Want an eyelash to blow on to make a wish?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:

Again, what I have repeatedly said, is that, as of now, there are no official, public plans for this site and no building permits pulled. Bedrock doesn't appear to have finalized plans.
Cassions can't be drilled unless there are plans for a building approved by the city. The documentation linked is the plan approved by the city for construction. This occured in 2017.

Proposals that are approved for construction don't have to be built as originally planned, they just have to be built to city code. Bedrock doesn't need a finalized design for the Hudson's so as long as any newly proposed designs adhere to the city's zoning code.

The city gave Bedrock permission to build a skyscraper and Bedrock could decide not to build it, but that doesn't change the fact the city gave them permission to do so.

Quote:

It's pretty much an entirely new foundation but instead of an excavation period into dirt, it was the demolition of an existing underground parking structure.

The current cassions extend deeper than the foundations of the parking garage. The only thing reinforced or "stabilized" was the existing foundation walls.

It's basically the same as if any structure was demolished to be replaced with a new one. As soon as the parking garage was completely demolished and they started drilling cassions, this project was u/c almost immediately.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:12 PM

Looks like FAA is looking at a crane height proposal for Hudson Site

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...16118603&row=4

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:15 AM
Ex Houstonian

Any news?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction