HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there's no reason to freak out about a potential mayor CMB, she can't win city wide. if emanuel is thrown off the ballot for good, chico will get the lion's share of emanuel voters.
thats hardly a consolation.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:37 AM
BANNED

I wonder how big of a bribe CMB had to pay to buy the majority of the appellate judges on this case? Musta cost her upwards of a million dollars...

I wish I were joking, but this is Chicago and we are talking about CMB. I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if it turned out she bribed these judges. This is a blatantly incorrect ruling and I can't imagine how they would have made it under any other circumstances than bribery...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:09 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I wonder how big of a bribe CMB had to pay to buy the majority of the appellate judges on this case? Musta cost her upwards of a million dollars...

I wish I were joking, but this is Chicago and we are talking about CMB. I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if it turned out she bribed these judges. This is a blatantly incorrect ruling and I can't imagine how they would have made it under any other circumstances than bribery...
Bribery has nothing to do with it. All Illinois judges are popularly elected, and so they are political figures who think like politicians, in terms of strategic alliances and so forth. There doesn't need to be money changing hands - but if the judges believe that DQing Rahm will affect their chances of getting re-elected, then that will certainly figure into their decision.

The vast majority of state judges, in any state, are anything but impartial. At least with Federal judges, they don't need to worry about re-election, since they're appointed for life. Usually that tends to make them fairer interpreters of the law.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:16 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there's no reason to freak out about a potential mayor CMB, she can't win city wide. if emanuel is thrown off the ballot for good, chico will get the lion's share of emanuel voters.
I agree, there is no way Carol Mosely Braun will be mayor of Chicago with Rahm Emmanuel on the ballot or not. The next mayor of Chicago will be Rahm Emmanuel or Gery Chico, its that simple. If Rahm is not on the ballot it will definatly be Chico, if Rahm stays on it could be Rahm or Chico.

As far as these doomsday predicions of CMB, I dread her becoming mayor just as much as anyone else on here but God forbid she did somehow pull it off she would be a one term mayor and the city is not going to turn into Detroit in four years, life will go on in Chicago. Its kind of like showing up at the emergency room and you are saying "oh I am going to die" and the doctors tell you that you will be fine but nevertheless its not an experience you want to go through, thats what Braun will be like as Mayor. I am not into the sky is falling rhetoric, many people said that the city was doomed in 1983 when Harold Washington became Mayor, of course CMB is not Washington by any stretch and white racism fueled alot of fears about Washington but my point is that reports of the city's eminent demise is always greatly exadurated. I do believe that Washington was the cause of some white flight in the 1980's (motivated more by racial fear than reality) and I think potentially CMB could cause the city to lose serious momentum in regaining more of its historic population but I don't think her mayorality will cause a massive exodus within four years.

This is one hell of a crazy day though, I will watch Chicago Tonight in less than an hour to hear more about this. Prior to today I assumed this case was about 95% in the bag for Emmanuel to stay on the ballot, now I seriously think its 50/50. What gets me is if he is put back on the ballot will there be enough time to put him back on by next monday, January 31st when early voting starts? That would mean the Illinois Supreme Court would have to like make a ruling THIS WEEK! Otherwise there could be a weird situation where people who do early voting will not have Rahm on the ballot but those voting on February 22nd will. Now of course any intellegent Rahm supporter would wait things out and not vote until February 22nd if they can but nevertheless it seems inevitable that this decision today will cost him some votes.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:42 AM

Last edited by Loopy; Oct 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM. Reason: fixed links, etc.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Bribery has nothing to do with it. All Illinois judges are popularly elected, and so they are political figures who think like politicians, in terms of strategic alliances and so forth. There doesn't need to be money changing hands - but if the judges believe that DQing Rahm will affect their chances of getting re-elected, then that will certainly figure into their decision.

The vast majority of state judges, in any state, are anything but impartial. At least with Federal judges, they don't need to worry about re-election, since they're appointed for life. Usually that tends to make them fairer interpreters of the law.
Nope, this is Chicago where judges and juries have been paid off multiple times, just look at the Capone trial and bought judge and jury.

Its actually not true that all Illinois Judges are elected. A minority of them are appointed by the Supreme Court. You are probably right though, lets look at our appellate judges:

Justice Hoffman:

http://www.state.il.us/court/Appella...io_Hoffman.asp

Justice Shelvin Marie Hall:

http://www.state.il.us/court/Appella...s/Bio_Hall.asp

Justice Lampkin:

http://www.state.il.us/court/Appella...io_Lampkin.asp

All three were originally appointed and were subsequently elected multiple times to their posts. Its extremely rare that a judge not be reelected anyhow. You could be right, but whether they are acting in political self interest (I hope the machine rejects them after Rahm takes the helm) or were bribed, wouldn't be surprised either way.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:06 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Judges who ruled against Emanuel once slated by pol backing Chico

The Chicago Tribune
Judges who ruled against Emanuel once slated by pol backing Chico; Supporters of 2 on Appellate Court deny politics played any role
By David Kidwell, Tribune reporter
9:55 p.m. CST, January 24, 201

The two Appellate Court judges responsible for tossing Rahm Emanuel from the ballot in February's mayoral race both won their jobs after being anointed by a Chicago political power broker who openly supports an Emanuel opponent.

Whether or not their opinions are colored by politics, the case has recharged the debate among critics who decry a process of selecting judges that relies more heavily on political clout than merit.

Longtime Appellate Court Judges Thomas E. Hoffman and Shelvin Louise Marie Hall — who on Monday ruled that Emanuel's stay in Washington precludes him from running for mayor this year — were both judicial candidates slated for election by the Cook County Democratic Party judicial slating committee chaired by Ald. Edward Burke, 14th.....

Continue reading article here.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:10 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Emanuel asks Illinois Supreme Court for emergency stay

The Chicago Tribune
Emanuel asks Illinois Supreme Court for emergency stay
Posted by Kristen Mack, David Heinzmann, Hal Dardick and Dawn Rhodes; last updated at 6:01 p.m.

Attorneys for Rahm Emanuel late today asked the Illinois Supreme Court to prevent Chicago elections officials from printing ballots for the Feb. 22 mayor's election without his name.

Emanuel's legal team also said they will ask the state's highest court on Tuesday to hear their appeal of a decision by an appellate court today to knock him off the ballot on the grounds he doesn't meet residency requirements.

Chicago elections officials said today they have to begin printing the 2 million or so ballots needed for the election as well as preparing electronic voting machines for early voting that begins next Monday.....

Continue reading article here.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 8:21 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
The two Appellate Court judges responsible for tossing Rahm Emanuel from the ballot in February's mayoral race both won their jobs after being anointed by a Chicago political power broker who openly supports an Emanuel opponent.
Is there an "I told you so" smiley? I leave Chicago to come to New Orleans... will I ever escape the massive corruption?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:17 PM

Last edited by Loopy; Oct 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:54 PM

The timing seems a little odd. He gets kicked off the ballot literally just a few hours before they start printing them?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
^I think that there was more corruption evident in Rahm's confidence that he could steamroll the elections board and courts into accepting his broad and generous reading of the residency laws for candidates. He bears the responsibility now of having taken his supporters and contributors for a wild and stupid ride.

Hey Rahm and Company, who are the "fucking retards" now?
This is bullshit. He should have the right to run for mayor because he is a Chicagoan. If he's not a Chicagoan, than what the hell is he? He rented an apartment in DC for a temporary job... everything else about his situation is Chicago-centered, from only renting out his home rather than selling, to maintaining his Illinois drivers license and voting in Illinois elections. The senators & representatives that rent homes in DC are still considered residents of their home states... if they weren't residents of their home states, they'd be ineligible to represent those states in Congress.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:22 PM

Quote:
^I think that there was more corruption evident in Rahm's confidence that he could steamroll the elections board and courts into accepting his broad and generous reading of the residency laws for candidates. He bears the responsibility now of having taken his supporters and contributors for a wild and stupid ride.

Hey Rahm and Company, who are the "fucking retards" now?
How is Rahm any less eligible to claim Chicago residency than a local Congressman serving his 15th term in DC?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:25 PM

Carol Mosely Braun will never be mayor of Chicago.

She might win an election (though it's not likely), but she'll never be the mayor. It would be Beruit by the lake again, or like one of those parliamentary democracies where they have the election, and then nobody can actually form a government.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:46 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is there an "I told you so" smiley? I leave Chicago to come to New Orleans... will I ever escape the massive corruption?
That's funny, I left New Orleans to move to Chicago. The politics here feel like home, except the boys here in Chicago have a lot more money to throw around.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:42 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:54 PM

Last edited by Loopy; Oct 30, 2012 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Even the most hackish of US Congressmen know that they need to maintain at least a studio apartment that they can call their local domicile. No congressman could ever get away with renting out their home and credibly claim residency.
So basically you have to be willing to fork over the cash for two homes since you're not allowed to rent your home out to help cover the mortgage while working elsewhere. Regardless of Rahm's own financial position, it doesn't seem right to require someone to pay both rent in their city of temporary employment & their home mortgage without the option to alleviate some of that financial burden through the collection of rent.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I have no problem with Rahm being on the ballot, but I don't think he'd be my choice. Rahm has always seemed to be an A to B type guy, never an A to Z guy who really gets the big picture. Daley seemed to have long term visions and goal for the city and I have a hard time seeing Rahm doing something similar, just gunning to win the next election. Seems like he'd have a good grip, but he wouldn't be holding anything.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I have no problem with Rahm being on the ballot, but I don't think he'd be my choice. Rahm has always seemed to be an A to B type guy, never an A to Z guy who really gets the big picture. Daley seemed to have long term visions and goal for the city and I have a hard time seeing Rahm doing something similar, just gunning to win the next election. Seems like he'd have a good grip, but he wouldn't be holding anything.
Given the field of candidates I'd much rather give Rahm a chance to become something more than let Chico or Braun try their hand at the helm. Particularly since any mayor is going to need a LOT of backbone to deal with the unions, the city's massive looming budget deficit, and tame the alderbeasts all at the same time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest