HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Is this a joke? A shopping center in Dundurn? That's like building the new Riders football stadium in Davidson, makes no sense.
Compared to the Dundurn thing, a Rider stadium in Davidson makes perfect sense! If this is really a go though, then a real congratulations would be an order for Dundurn!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Migs
Regina 4 Life

Is this a joke? A shopping center in Dundurn? That's like building the new Riders football stadium in Davidson, makes no sense.

I agree even the company's name almost sounds like Brightstar LOL

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:55 PM

Wait until you see what a group of Chinese investors has planned for Belle Plaine.......

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golks View Post
Wait until you see what a group of Chinese investors has planned for Belle Plaine.......
I heard something to that effect this past summer as well --- and from a very reliable source.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I heard something to that effect this past summer as well --- and from a very reliable source.
My source has sat down with them and has seen a site plan/model. Sounds interesting and they have already begun working on some promotional properties on site.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Interesting article from the CBC on a company called Brightenview Development International Inc. that wants to build the Dundurn International Exhibition Centre. with 350 companies selling products from China.

Image from CBC News Article (original source: Brightenview Development)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...x-dundurn.html

Interesting web site for the project: http://www.nadiec.com/index.php/en/
So who is this mysterious Brighten Developments that seems to have popped up out of no where. They say they are a innovative leader in real estate investors and international business projects on their website. But don't list any other projects they've been involved in other than this one. And where would the financing for this project be coming from I wonder.

I ain't saying that this can't work, if the financing is coming completely from the private sector then start digging I'd say. If their plan is to tap into government grants & subsidy's on the premise of creating jobs in Dundurn then my back would be going up right about now.

Last edited by Dillweed; Dec 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillweed View Post
So who is this mysterious Brighten Developments that seems to have popped up out of no where. They say they are a innovative leader in real estate investors and international business projects on their website. But don't list any other projects they've been involved in other than this one. And where would the financing for this project be coming from I wounder.
I'm just glad that Golks stated the Belle Plaine thing first. A little off-the-record corroboration there.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
So who is this mysterious Brighten Developments that seems to have popped up out of no where. They say they are a innovative leader in real estate investors and international business projects on their website. But don't list any other projects they've been involved in other than this one. And where would the financing for this project be coming from I wonder.
The CBC article has some documents attached. AECOM appears to be doing the engineering and McDonalld Gaudly the legal work. What is also interesting is a letter that states that the project qualifies for the "Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee program". That may explain some of the motivation.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I'm just glad that Golks stated the Belle Plaine thing first. A little off-the-record corroboration there.
What kind of Belle Plaine thing? Industrial? - feedlot and ethanol projects have floated around? the Yara expansion at Belle plain has been quoted. Or some other off the wall thing like a home furnishings wholesaler or amusement park?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
What kind of Belle Plaine thing? Industrial? - feedlot and ethanol projects have floated around? the Yara expansion at Belle plain has been quoted. Or some other off the wall thing like a home furnishings wholesaler or amusement park?
Residential/Commercial. Think full service community.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:33 PM

Speaking of this Dundurn International Exhibition Centre thing. Any idea anyone whats with the two highrises in the upper right corner of the rendering? My mind is open but it all makes this whole thing a little hard to swallow when I see things like that. Are they expecting the population of Dundurn to become a bustling metropolis on this development or something.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
As far as I know: retail.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Speaking of this Dundurn International Exhibition Centre thing. Any idea anyone whats with the two highrises in the upper right corner of the rendering? My mind is open but it all makes this whole thing a little hard to swallow when I see things like that. Are they expecting the population of Dundurn to become a bustling metropolis on this development or something.
I'll be that concept drawing is a generic one at that. Projects never end up looking as they do in concept drawings. (Look at the surrounding terrain.)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 6:17 PM

A little more info about the Dundurn International Exhibition Centre and the company, Brightenview, and its concept from Saskatoon S-P. It sounds like a mixed lot of optimism, skepticism and intrigue for this project.

Dundurn megamall would be largest in North America
By Jeff Davis, The StarPhoenix December 18, 2012 7:59 AM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 9:34 PM

Hey, hey, we're movin' on u-u-up....

Saskatchewan added 23,024 people, StatsCan says

CBC News, Dec 18, 2012

Saskatchewan is the second-fastest growing province after Alberta, Statistics Canada says.

According to the federal agency's fourth quarter population estimate, Saskatchewan's total population on Oct. 1 was estimated at 1,086,564.

There was a jump of 6,606 in the three months ending on Oct. 1, while the increase from October 2011 to October 2012 was 23,024.

Alberta's population grew 2.9 per cent over the year, while Saskatchewan's population jump was 2.2 per cent, the report says.

The Canadian growth rate for the year was 1.1 per cent.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ease-1212.html

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
A little more info about the Dundurn International Exhibition Centre and the company, Brightenview, and its concept from Saskatoon S-P. It sounds like a mixed lot of optimism, skepticism and intrigue for this project.

Dundurn megamall would be largest in North America
By Jeff Davis, The StarPhoenix December 18, 2012 7:59 AM
I would have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical that this project would go through. Primarily as others have pointed out there doesn't seem to be any sort of track record with this group. But that doesn't necessarily make them a bunch of scammers it just means I've never heard of them before.

But as long I hear that the municipality, government or public aren't on the hook for anything. And this project is being financed by the private sector and the developer is taking the risk then I would say my mind is open and this project is not out of the question. Correct me if I wrong but so far at least I haven't read anywhere that the developer is looking for any type of handouts from the government.

While I won't say its so until I actually see shovels turning I don't agree with some of the reasons some skeptics say this project will never happen. For one this seems to be basically an Outlet Mall a large one at that. But my information is that this type of Mall being proposed does exist in other parts of the world.

The proposed location is not all that surprising to me. I've never been to a Outlet Mall that was located within a large urban city. I'm sure some exist somewhere but I find they tend to be located outside major cities in some small town or along an interstate highway. So Dundurn as the location doesn't seem to be that farfetched to me.

Getting enough land for project this size is problematic enough. And certainly I have to believe that the cost of land outside of Dundurn is goring for far less than outside of a Vancouver or Toronto. And since the market for this mall is not just retail buyers but corporate buyers. It doesn't mean that you need to be situated outside a large city like Toronto. If you are corporate purchaser for Home Depot for example. Getting to Saskatoon probably isn't any more difficult than any other major city in this country.

I know Saskatoon has direct flights to most major cities in Canada. And if you are flying in from a New York, Miami, Houston etc. Unless you are flying into a hub like Toronto. You're probably going to have to connect at least once to go to a city like Vancouver or Edmonton etc. No different than if you were flying into Saskatoon.

So if I was from Dundurn I wouldn't bet the farm it's gonna happen. But if it does it does and if it doesn't it doesn't. So long as the developer is putting up the money and taking the risk let them fly at it. But if someone comes to your door or phones you at six p.m. as your sitting down to dinner. And says "Have I got a deal for you, how would you like to get in on the ground level...". Then I'd be running for the hills.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:14 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
I would have to admit that I'm a bit skeptical that this project would go through.
It could in fact go through, but the end result will be the same as what happened in China. BBC Article.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:29 AM

It is all about a glossy brochure and convincing investors in a far away land...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 2:40 AM

Does anyone have info on SCU new head office in Steinbach.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 7:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
Does anyone have info on SCU new head office in Steinbach.
http://www.scu.mb.ca/home/scuforbiz/...te-head-office

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan