Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 6:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 5:25 AM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^KWC may be the grottiest but most fascinating collection of buildings ever.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 3:56 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 4:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Franzén View Post
Wow, this is amazing! What a great find. Thanks so much for sharing! I know what I will be looking at over lunch today.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 6:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 10:11 PM

In semi-related other news (related to Kowloon by the fact they’re both MolsonExport “obsessions” ), this made the news here

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgar...55548.amp.html

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 5:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Great (new) video on KWC
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2023, 3:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 1:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

New video on KWC
Video Link

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:29 PM

Kowloon Walled City's modern day baby:

https://www.unilad.com/community/lif...95016-20240531

Inside ‘dystopian' apartment block where its 20,000 residents never need to go outside
Thousands of people live in one of China's largest apartment block which is so well equipped residents never actually have to leave.

This company is able to provide residents with everything they need, so they never have to go outside again.

Finding the right place to live can prove to be difficult because you want it to be as perfect as possible.

You want to make sure its in a decent location for work, easy to see friends and family, is affordable, maybe even has entertainment close by, right?

Well, imagine if you never had to really leave your apartment block and could essentially get all the things you need.

Would that be a utopian dream or a dystopian nightmare?

It seems at least 20,000 people are living that reality regardless in one of China’s largest buildings.

These thousands of people live in a complex known as the Regent International, a colossal building in Qianjiang Century City, located in Hangzhou’s central business district.

Now, why don’t the people living here tend to leave? Well, because all of their necessities are pretty close to them.

Of course, the building cannot provide fresh air unless you open a window, so you're probably going to want to head for some air and stretch your legs once in a while.

The amazing-looking building stands at 675ft tall, offering 260,000 square metres of space, subsequently making it one of the largest buildings in China.......click link above for more

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That reminds me greatly of the Copan Building in Sao Paulo

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 3:20 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That reminds me greatly of the Copan Building in Sao Paulo
When I moved to São Paulo almost 12 years ago, Downtown was much rougher and you could find very good prices on Copan. In fact, I didn't rent an apartment there because I found it was too rough for me at the time and I opted out for one more expensive, close to Paulista Avenue.

Now, Copan is one of the hottest adresses in São Paulo: new bars, restaurants, clubs, highrises popping up everywhere around it and coupled with Airbnb, it turned into a perfect storm.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 7:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Interesting. What was it like living in such a gargantuan building? Did the halls for each floor traverse the length of the serpentine building?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Interesting. What was it like living in such a gargantuan building? Did the halls for each floor traverse the length of the serpentine building?
Yes, the hall goes all through the building. It's 1,050 apartments of different sizes (something that disappeared in Brazil after the 1960's and only now people returning to this inclusive model).

People/press liked to say 5,000 people used to live there, but I guess it was never the case. It was probably 3,000 at its peak. On the last 2022 census, it was 1,700 people living there. Copan comprises four census tracts.

There are countless YouTube videos on people refurbishing their Copan apartments. Architects love to get a work there these days as it's great for the portfolio and social media.Today Copan is probably one of the most important symbols of Downtown São Paulo revival.

When the forumer @zupermaus visited São Paulo last December, we brought him to visit Copan and the trendiest bars that opened around it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:04 PM

The walled city was like something out of LoL Arcane. Like you wouldn’t have believed it existed unless you saw it with your own two eyes.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Yes, the hall goes all through the building. It's 1,050 apartments of different sizes (something that disappeared in Brazil after the 1960's and only now people returning to this inclusive model).

People/press liked to say 5,000 people used to live there, but I guess it was never the case. It was probably 3,000 at its peak. On the last 2022 census, it was 1,700 people living there. Copan comprises four census tracts.

There are countless YouTube videos on people refurbishing their Copan apartments. Architects love to get a work there these days as it's great for the portfolio and social media.Today Copan is probably one of the most important symbols of Downtown São Paulo revival.

When the forumer @zupermaus visited São Paulo last December, we brought him to visit Copan and the trendiest bars that opened around it.
cool. Thanks for sharing.

I recall the first time I saw a photo of Downtown Sao Paolo in the 1970s...probably in National Geographic. There was a photo of a guy standing on a rooftop/observation platform, looking out over the sea of buildings stretching to infinity, and the unforgettably unique Copan building was front and centre. Eye candy to my then 9-year old eyes.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 4:40 AM
if I sang out of tune

Yep I can attest, the thoroughfares below Copan are now filled with chichi bars and great places to just hang out, with a great spread for all (not just posh pop ups). What I really loved was the restoration of the indoor 'streets' that make up the ground floor, which is like a modernist bazaar, now filled with mom n pop stores mixed with bouji boutiques, cafes, bars and restaurants, all on a slope that meanders through the massive building. They keep to the 1950s aesthetic too.

My pics:

Restoring it so meticulously it's taking years as they source the exact materials and techniques, which puts half the building in green netting. To me this suffused it with quite an aesthetic 'glow'.

Last edited by muppet; Jul 17, 2024 at 6:57 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions