HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 1:06 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
With all due respect, much more "clueless" comments have been posted without the poster being disparaged for sharing their opinion. My comment was more that the subjective recommendations by the HDRC were sophomoric and just flat out bad.

Firstly, while I follow other projects, the only published comments by the HDRC on the Solo Serve hotel were that it blends in nicely with other developments on the River Walk (LOL). I have been following that project, there just hasn't been as much press on it or discussion on the forum. Additionally, as others have mentioned, most of us can't take off work to attend these meetings, so we rely on what's published. If you have more knowledge of their comments on that one, I'd love to hear them, especially if they're negative.

Secondly, the Frost Tower article in the EN expressly (pun intended) states that the HDRC fretted over design elements of the Grand Hyatt and ultimately nitpicked it to the uninspiring deisgn we have today.

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...ge-8348799.php

Lastly, I never said I thought the design would change as a result.
Basically, SATown...don't worry about "another member" of this thread. Keep posting your insight and opinion. They are welcomed by most on here.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jul 26, 2016 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 3:55 AM

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a LONG time, but I put my photoshopping skills to use and came up with some more renderings. I tried to be as accurate as possible to the height, scale, and color of the glass in regard to the lighting of the scene. I'll post more as I make more.

Original: http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/23/10/52.../1024x1024.jpg

Original: Google Street View

Original: Google Street View

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:35 AM

ydoc14.....

these are awesome!!! Any chance you could do one with the other proposed buildings all in one?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 2:27 AM
Paradise

Great job, ydoc14!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 1:13 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

Nice job, ydoc14!

I've noticed that the tallest buildings of San Antonio are starting to form a "circle" around the rest of downtown. That will be good for photos of the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 12:07 AM

Good job ydoc.

Just got back from a trip to Houston, so still a little bummed about the height, but excited for the modern look.

If it spurs more modern construction, then all's well.

Looking forward to more of your renderings.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Who knows? The person I contacted at PCP (the architects) about the height didn't respond. The person I was contacting had contacted me earlier this year asking for permission to use some of my photos of the site. They even wanted me to take more, but I couldn't because I don't live in San Antonio. Anyway, I get the feeling the design we're seeing is the one they're sticking with since the renderings really are of good quality and don't seem to be too vague. And it's unlikely they would add more height unless the market suddenly demanded it.
I have not posted on this Forum for ages, been gone and otherwise occupied. I confess I am disappointed as others are re the height of the Frost HQ. Kudos to Arkitekte for nailing this one, may honor and fortune be unto his name and his house. Having said that, I have to agree with our brother posters who point out that this is a whole lot better than nothing, considering the quality of the contractors involved. It is also quite true that it is a risk, though maybe not as big as it was a few years ago, for anyone to build an office tower in downtown SA. I am a firm believer in demand generating supply, and as long as that demand is not manifest, there is no reason for anything to get built. We are finally turning this thing around, based on the flurry of recent announcements for downtown. The gradual influx of businesses into the area should definitely result in more residential demand, and if the 30-story apartment tower gets built across from the Tower Life Building and actually becomes occupied, it should serve as a test for other developers to more closely scrutinize the market. I am excited about the prospects for downtown. I have lived in six states and three foreign countries, but was born and raised here and am gratified to see the place pulling itself slowly upward and onward. The horizon really looks bright.

PS - Rumors of my death are grossly exaggerated.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 3:13 AM

Wheww!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEVET View Post
I have not posted on this Forum for ages, been gone and otherwise occupied. I confess I am disappointed as others are re the height of the Frost HQ. Kudos to Arkitekte for nailing this one, may honor and fortune be unto his name and his house. Having said that, I have to agree with our brother posters who point out that this is a whole lot better than nothing, considering the quality of the contractors involved. It is also quite true that it is a risk, though maybe not as big as it was a few years ago, for anyone to build an office tower in downtown SA. I am a firm believer in demand generating supply, and as long as that demand is not manifest, there is no reason for anything to get built. We are finally turning this thing around, based on the flurry of recent announcements for downtown. The gradual influx of businesses into the area should definitely result in more residential demand, and if the 30-story apartment tower gets built across from the Tower Life Building and actually becomes occupied, it should serve as a test for other developers to more closely scrutinize the market. I am excited about the prospects for downtown. I have lived in six states and three foreign countries, but was born and raised here and am gratified to see the place pulling itself slowly upward and onward. The horizon really looks bright.

Glad you're alive. Welcome back, (to the forum at least).

Gotta agree with what you've posted. Hopefully investors will see some wisdom in building, rather going to potential tenants and saying, "Well, we have a nice parcel of land, and if you're willing to write checks and navigate the bureaucracy for 4-7 years, boy do we have a deal for you!".

That said, a be glass tower DT is very welcome.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 9:21 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

It just occurred to me that the new Amegy Bank Headquarters building in River Oaks here in Houston is just about exactly the same size and massing as the New Frost Headquarters. its 350,000 sqft at 24 floors. It also has a somewhat similar look. Great looking building and I think its a really nice height.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 10:09 PM
Member since 2001

Even though the height is not quite there (where we had hoped), this will still be an impressive building in the SA skyline!

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 19, 2016 at 1:44 AM. Reason: Off topic

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEVET View Post

Wish there were an upvote button... Wholeheartedly agree!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
It just occurred to me that the new Amegy Bank Headquarters building in River Oaks here in Houston is just about exactly the same size and massing as the New Frost Headquarters. its 350,000 sqft at 24 floors. It also has a somewhat similar look. Great looking building and I think its a really nice height.
Besides both being glass they look nothing a like.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 4:32 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

This is going to be a nice addition for San Antonio.

I'll be returning to the Alamo City at the end of January 2025. I'm thrilled to be returning to the most beautiful city in Texas.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Besides both being glass they look nothing a like.
Scale buddy, scale.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:17 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Scale buddy, scale.
Nah, man, don't backtrack:

Quote:
You said it also has a somewhat similar look, above and beyond the scale of the building. And txex06 is right: beyond the glass cladding and size, the buildings really aren't all that similar looking.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Nah, man, don't backtrack:

You said it also has a somewhat similar look, above and beyond the scale of the building. And txex06 is right: beyond the glass cladding and size, the buildings really aren't all that similar looking.
This is such an intelligent conversation...

I stand by my statement as it is my opinion. Also, the statement wasn't meant to draw criticism, pointed criticism at that. It was merely light hearted in nature and was trying to draw on the fact that the Amegy building is a beautiful building in its own right and that the Frost would be similar in terms of that. But clearly I have forgotten how most people on this forum operate. I'll go back to not posting from here on out and leave it to the usual suspects.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 7:21 PM
James

Quote:

I stand by my statement as it is my opinion. Also, the statement wasn't meant to draw criticism, pointed criticism at that. It was merely light hearted in nature and was trying to draw on the fact that the Amegy building is a beautiful building in its own right and that the Frost would be similar in terms of that. But clearly I have forgotten how most people on this forum operate. I'll go back to not posting from here on out and leave it to the usual suspects.
I have enjoyed your posts over these last ten years or so, keep posting!

I enjoyed what you said about the Frost tower.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 8:19 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:

If you're gonna come for someone else (which is what you did), why can't you stand be come for? I enjoy your posts immensely, so I hope you don't actually leave and continue to contribute. I don't apologize for what I said, though: a valid interpretation of your original comment was how txex06's comment implied he interpreted it and I elaborated on that idea and then connected it to an agreement with txex06 so as to defend someone who had just shaded by way of "" -- and you should feel free to disagree with me (and s/he). Ergo, you should stand firm to your original position, which is a totally valid point of view if you have it.

Architecture is subjective, ya know.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 5:29 AM

You don't know the half of it.

Quote:

Clearly there are easily ruffled feathers among the favored here, and don't dare to respond. You'll just be deleted.

BTW, you are correct. the mass and scaling are strikingly similar. While the overall look is different, it's apparent to most what you meant.

Some just like snark for snark's sake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio