HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Arizona Cayotes relocation could be possible if they don't win the auction for land in North Phoenix.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-land-auction/

Here's some info on the auction:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/arizon...coming-auction

If they win, it will cost them at least $68.5 million just for the 95 acres.
And even then, what to do in the several years before that new arena is ready. They can't play at Mullett for another 3 or 4 seasons after this one. Or can they? Can they make a deal to play back at the NBA arena downtown (whatever its name is this year) for a few seasons? Less than ideal sightlines, but at least they can still draw 13k a game and keep interest in the market. Make a deal back at Glendale with a large security deposit? Or just sell the team to Salt Lake City and move and come back to Phoenix with an expansion team when the new arena deal is firmed up.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 10:38 PM
early dogecoin investor

Im willing to die on the hill of hockey in Arizona, albeit I'm a bit biased since I spent some years in Arizona watching them play.

But I think hockey in the desert is good for the game, as lame as it is having a team in a market that isn't huge, there's a strong base and I could see it working out, and I hope the 'Yotes win the bid.

This Location is better than their Glendale location, but I think if they had won the vote in Tempe they'd be set for years.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
And even then, what to do in the several years before that new arena is ready. They can't play at Mullett for another 3 or 4 seasons after this one. Or can they? Can they make a deal to play back at the NBA arena downtown (whatever its name is this year) for a few seasons? Less than ideal sightlines, but at least they can still draw 13k a game and keep interest in the market. Make a deal back at Glendale with a large security deposit? Or just sell the team to Salt Lake City and move and come back to Phoenix with an expansion team when the new arena deal is firmed up.
They cannot even fill the mullet arena

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 12:57 AM
early dogecoin investor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post

They've sold out every game at mullet.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I believe they do, and Bettman also said at the end of last season that they generated more ticket revenue from Mullet than they did from Glendale.

I have no idea the demographics of the Phoenix area and why this new proposal at a suburban highway interchange 25km from downtown is better than the suburban highway interchange 25km the other way from downtown they used to be at (where the NFL also went). But I don't see why, in the right location, it can't work there, given how hockey has worked in so many other sun destinations. Doesn't look like any shortage of money in the large neighbourhoods across the road, where it's hard to see a house without a pool and double car garage, and a couple dozen golf courses mixed in amongst the houses.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:52 AM
Go Chiefs!

Alex Ovechkin scores goal #20 and 21 this season. His NHL record 19th consecutive 20 goals season.
After a very slow start of the season he's been a bit better in the second half of the season.

Now at 843 goals. 52 more to break Gretzky's all-time goal record!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 12:51 PM

Considering the population of Phoenix, it's pretty ridiculous they can't fill an NHL arena every night. That they are filling the Pee-Wee arena isn't really something to brag about.

It's funny how Winnipeg gets the threat of a move after a few seasons of a couple thousand (if that) empty seats, but a city six times larger in the sun belt is perfectly fine being incapable of not only filling an NHL arena, but even finding an NHL arena to play in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Alex Ovechkin scores goal #20 and 21 this season. His NHL record 19th consecutive 20 goals season.
After a very slow start of the season he's been a bit better in the second half of the season.

Now at 843 goals. 52 more to break Gretzky's all-time goal record!
Impressive. Somewhat sad to see his potentially record beat.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:

It's funny how Winnipeg gets the threat of a move after a few seasons of a couple thousand (if that) empty seats, but a city six times larger in the sun belt is perfectly fine being incapable of not only filling an NHL arena, but even finding an NHL arena to play in.
But that's the owner making that threat in Winnipeg, not the league.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 9:04 PM
Community Guy

Bettman says 'no expansion in the short-term' and no changes to 3 on 3 in OT.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 1:52 AM
Mooderator

Wish they'd revise the 'delay of game' penalty.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 2:26 AM
Community Guy

The Oil look absolutely average against the Habs tonight.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 2:56 AM

Quote:

The ignominy for Phoenix lies squarely with the league for continuing to pursue and tolerate this omnishambles.

The (much milder) ignominy for Winnipeg lies with the city for failing to properly support something they love, and the club for failing to create an attractive product that people want to spend money on. From what I hear from Winnipeg friends, the experience is lacking at the arena, as much as the Jets are competitive these days.

The embarrassment should be felt by different groups in each situation. Obviously Phoenix's is infinitely worse, but Winnipeg's should be more of a gut check.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Wish they'd revise the 'delay of game' penalty.
How so, and why?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:27 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
How so, and why?
This.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I don't think that the recent comments about Winnipeg to be indicative of the threat of a move. The way I see it is TNSE/Mark Chipman identifying the early signs of a potential problem and looking to come up with a solution before it gets out of control. Any media that puts it on the same level as the Arizona relocation threat is also being disingenuous. Winnipeg is having a bad season compared to the long-standing string of failures in Arizona. I am hoping Arizona can get their arena situation sorted out and we can put all of their problems in the past.

It is, however, worth acknowledging that Winnipeg, at this time, is far and away one of the most vulnerable franchises in Canada and the NHL. Being in a recessionary environment combined with a weak CAD has historically wrecked our teams. All of the other Canadian franchises are pretty much past that point and have become pretty stable/established, but Winnipeg is the obvious outlier here - the city is still at a population of less than 1M people and has limited corporate presence, which is definitely stinging hard in the post-COVID area of reducing spending. I'm sure things will recover eventually since the demand was there for a decade until the pandemic hit.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:05 AM
Go Chiefs!

Alex Ovechkin is now 50 goals away from breaking Gretzky's all-time goal record.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:43 AM
Community Guy

= 2-3 years and he will do it.
---

Oilers with a horrific start once again, but an 8-3 win with everyone contributing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Céline Dion in the Boston Bruins' locker room. If I were her I'd be afraid of getting struck by a lightning bolt or something!

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status...63834632597521

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Céline Dion in the Boston Bruins' locker room. If I were her I'd be afraid of getting struck by a lightning bolt or something!

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status...63834632597521
Vendu!!!!!

Tabernac!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
= 2-3 years and he will do it.
---

Oilers with a horrific start once again, but an 8-3 win with everyone contributing.

I'm conflicted if I want to see this. The Great one VS the Great 8. The West VS the East. Canada VS Russia etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada