HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 11:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I think he/she meant that the 3 north-south subway lines may get too crowded. It's fair enough. That problem may have been solved if there were a second avenue subway but it might not happen soon enough.

It's New York, we can handle crowded subway lines. It's not as if you're going to notice a difference. Also, a lot of commuters will be coming in by way of the new LIRR station at Grand Central, which is actually the base of this tower from street level.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.leadersmag.com/issues/201...ersen-Fox.html

[b]Building for the Future
An Interview with A. Eugene Kohn,Chairman, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (KPF)

Quote:
.....Do corporate clients need to consider how the building will affect the daily lives of those in it?

Yes. If the building is well-designed and executed, their staff will be more inspired and efficient. They will produce quality work, and even work longer hours voluntarily because they will enjoy
being at work. It’s about people working as a team, putting in the time requested, doing their jobs, doing them well, and creating better results. The environment we create affects how
the users will do their work and how they will enjoy it.

New York developers understand what they’re trying to achieve and they’re very good at it.

Today’s developers are more concerned about what the result is, what the building looks like, and its quality (as opposed to before, when the bottom line was the overwhelming priority),
while they are still concerned with the financial return. The developers now want to create the “wow” factor and want something they’re proud of as well.

Does it surprise you when you see the development and growth in New York, in particular?

Yes, more so for residential than for office buildings. Residential has changed. When I came to New York in the ’60s, I would not pursue residential projects – they were formulaic and
no one seemed to care about proportions, elegance, exterior materials or details. Developers now realize that it can be profitable to do really well-designed, sometimes iconic, residential projects.
There is no other place in the world where you can get these extremely high residential prices, aside from London.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 1:58 PM

I'm starting to like this design.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:29 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

The top still looks smashed. Add another 300 feet with a more graceful progression of setbacks at the top past the spire height and it would really soar.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The top still looks smashed. Add another 300 feet with a more graceful progression of setbacks at the top past the spire height and it would really soar.
Agreed. I am not a huge fan of the current design, and I think it needs to be more soaring/less squat, at least from a bulk perspective.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 5:55 PM
New Yorker for life

I am confident that KPF will eventually give us a worthy landmark for that location. The top of the building will be public space, and will be the defining mark of the tower. We'll see what de Blasio brings to the table.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 6:07 PM

I liked the design since the start and still like it...could be taller yes, but it's not bad for that location.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 6:48 AM
New Yorker for life

KPF can do so much better, and we already have the BofA tower, which is basically down the street. It's the top of the tower that needs the work. It's in Chrysler Building air space, so we need to get something that won't be just a copy of another New York tower. Something with a spire for sure, but much better than what is presented here. And that space should be more inviting.

This will be the signature tower of the midtown east rezoning, our best chance to get something great on this part of the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 4:37 PM

I actually like this design a good bit - especially that (in these renderings at least) it's a bit more slender than past renderings (or the diagram drawing).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 12:35 PM
New Yorker for life

I eagerly await de Blasio's take on the rezoning. By the time that comes around, KPF should have a more realized plan of what is intended to be built. Manhattan is turning into the land of the supertalls. Imagine the excitement had this been the only supertall proposal of the moment. I bet more would be demanding better.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 5:14 PM

Yea, I have to agree with NYGuy on this one. If this had been proposed for a different location, say 8th Avenue somewhere near port authority and the NYTimes tower, I would be ecstatic, but this is park avenue right next to Grand Central. The proposal is certainly an improvement over what's currently there, and so we should be generally happy about it, but given the prominence of this location we should really be holding it to the highest possible standard.

A better way of making this point is to say, does anyone really think this is in the top ten of designs proposed or under construction in the city right now? Because this isn't just a top-ten location, it's the number one location undergoing redevelopment at the moment.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:39 PM

Yes, the center of transportation and buisness in NYC deserves a great design.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 11:43 PM

Looks like a modernized, graduated and much-taller version of the Transamerica tower in San Fran. I like it but i also agree with some others that the top needs a little work.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:56 AM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:10 PM

honestly it just needs to be taller for a trophy look to midtown if not there would kinda be no point in building tall

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertallchaser View Post
honestly it just needs to be taller for a trophy look to midtown if not there would kinda be no point in building tall
True but this is a narrow site. Maybe 1200' to roof could be possible with reasonable floorplates for those 4-6 law firms.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:22 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I've never seen a tower want to be 1500' worse than this.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
True but this is a narrow site. Maybe 1200' to roof could be possible with reasonable floorplates for those 4-6 law firms.
even if thats the case i still think maybe 1,400 ft roof with a 200ft spire would really bring midtown to a nice peak

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertallchaser View Post
There's always a point to building tall. Even at 1,400 ft, it would be taller than anything in the area (we're talking Grand Central district) and make its own mark on the skyline, which is really something that SL Green wanted, besides building the new office space of course. The public space at the top would also be welcome, offering new perspectives on the skyline.

Quote:
The spire/crown is stunted in that version. I'm sure it will bloom into a more beautiful tower.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 4:30 AM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. The whole building is so bulky and needs more on top. It feels like it's missing a real spire.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive