HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:02 AM

The interior looks close to complete in the podium at least.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:34 AM

Those balcony railing look really nice and good quality! It also brightens the dark podium! So far this is an excellent looking project from claridge.

Side note, those same railing on the hintonburg project on somerset would look really good if they keep the balcony design we saw when the project was for condos

Last edited by SL123; Jul 29, 2024 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 3:15 AM

Really love the balconies. Helps to break up the mundane brick we see on so many towers here. The M+M project in Vanier could've REALLY used this.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 1:54 PM

Love the translucent balcony glass. Something different for Ottawa, would love to see this on a couple more projects.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 7:55 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Love the translucent balcony glass. Something different for Ottawa, would love to see this on a couple more projects.
Its pretty sweet indeed. I like the little square black buttons on them as well. Faced slabs with black edges. Looks very classy. Makes me think of a tuxedo or cufflinks or something along those lines.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Its pretty sweet indeed. I like the little square black buttons on them as well. Faced slabs with black edges. Looks very classy. Makes me think of a tuxedo or cufflinks or something along those lines.
Very nice indeed. This is shaping up to be the nicest Claridge project in history after their incompetencies ruined icon. A happy surprise; and perhaps a sign that the increasing presence of out of town developers may be having an effect on their design and final build quality. One can only hope.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I agree those little square black buttons are a very nice touch. Its those small details sometime that brings something from inoffensive/basic to "chef kiss"

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 1:37 PM

From urbaottawa on Skyrise, full view of the tower and podium progress.

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/for...q.26844/page-8

Old Posted Aug 4, 2024, 5:47 PM

The enthusiasm for this building is too generous. This building is basic. It says nothing and amounts to a narrow and cynical view of what potential residents value. Frosted glass with black buttons, looking like bits of scotch tape, is not an achievement. It’s generic. Bland. Spreadsheet-driven architecture.
While I appreciate the overall cleanness of design, the best one can say is that this building is relatively inoffensive.

This location deserves better. Ottawa deserves better.

If any decision-makers read this forum (and I hope they do), can we please encourage more height, more truth to materials, more colour, more considered integration with the natural environment, more mixed use
 more diversity.

There’s so much opportunity to make magic in this gorgeous city. Developers are clearly profit driven, but let’s find a way to incentivize creativity and risk in our built environment, and save the applause for when we actually see it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Kay View Post
The enthusiasm for this building is too generous. This building is basic. It says nothing and amounts to a narrow and cynical view of what potential residents value. Frosted glass with black buttons, looking like bits of scotch tape, is not an achievement. It’s generic. Bland. Spreadsheet-driven architecture.
While I appreciate the overall cleanness of design, the best one can say is that this building is relatively inoffensive.

If any decision-makers read this forum (and I hope they do), can we please encourage more height, more truth to materials, more colour, more considered integration with the natural environment, more mixed use
 more diversity.

There’s so much opportunity to make magic in this gorgeous city. Developers are clearly profit driven, but let’s find a way to incentivize creativity and risk in our built environment, and save the applause for when we actually see it.
I came here to say just that. You took the words right out of my mouth! It's a basic box.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 4:02 PM

Had a friend from the states who had not been to Ottawa since the late 90s - their commentary on Ottawa is that our new builds all look the same, are randomly placed with no coordination and that our transit sucks. They thought one of our best attributes - the Market is past the point of repair. They wondered if we were in our akward / disjointed teen years and if there was any plan or coordination on anything.

In showing LeBreton - aside from Zibi and the library they thought it was a total waste.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 4:41 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:

more diversity.

You couldn't be more accurate on your post. This is simply caused by the City of Ottawa not holding Developers to a higher standard when it comes to building design. I have been involved in projects in Montreal & Toronto and on numerous occasions, the Cities came back to us with requirements for better exterior designs.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Had a friend from the states who had not been to Ottawa since the late 90s - their commentary on Ottawa is that our new builds all look the same, are randomly placed with no coordination and that our transit sucks. They thought one of our best attributes - the Market is past the point of repair. They wondered if we were in our akward / disjointed teen years and if there was any plan or coordination on anything.

In showing LeBreton - aside from Zibi and the library they thought it was a total waste.
Sorry but an American criticizing anything about Ottawa is a bit absurd. Just for my own amusement can I ask what amazing example of urbanity your friend hails from?!😜😆

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 11:04 AM

Taken on August 5th, 2024

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 1:22 PM

Quote:

more diversity.

It comes from a place of extremely low expectations, especially from Claridge. I don't think any of us think this tower is any sort of landmark or earth shattering design, but a very competent background tower. It will contrast well with what we all hope will be the far better Dream LeBreton project behind it, sitting at a higher elevation, along with the Library.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It comes from a place of extremely low expectations, especially from Claridge. I don't think any of us think this tower is any sort of landmark or earth shattering design, but a very competent background tower. It will contrast well with what we all hope will be the far better Dream LeBreton project behind it, sitting at a higher elevation, along with the Library.
I appreciate all of the responses.
My point is that the collective expectation should be higher, especially among the audience who cares enough to be active on a forum like this.
The culture is only as good as its audience.

As far as American cities go, every time I’m in Brooklyn I marvel at the ingenuity and quality of the many new 4-8 story infill buildings popping up everywhere. There’s so much variety in design, with most aiming to contribute to bustling street life integrating retail, services and restaurants. The new parks along the East river. Repurposed industrial spaces and the creation of a new skyline in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn, seemingly overnight. Philadelphia’s new I-95 park and the redevelopment of so many industrial areas. DC has a ton of sensitive development integrating their parks and rivers. Boston. Chicago. Austin. Seattle all have new development sensitive to their local geography and diverse populations. I don’t know why it would be “absurd” to learn from these examples or expect anything less in Canada’s capital.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2024, 10:02 PM

Does anyone know what the plans are for the ground floor? It would be great to start having some retail/dining at Lebreton.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforest View Post
Does anyone know what the plans are for the ground floor? It would be great to start having some retail/dining at Lebreton.
Like Zibi, will probably sit empty for a few years.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 12:25 PM

Will this phase have the daycare?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforest View Post
Not sure if things have changed since 2021, but they were supposed to move the Claridge design center out of those trailers on site into the podium.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa