HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 4:49 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
The navigability/efficiency of the road system seems a totally separate issue from the geometric form of the city boundaries.

Which parts of Austin are impossible to reach from anywhere else? And are any of those cases an issue of geometry/political boundaries, or are they issues of geography (the river, hills)?

You're navigability claim also seems to presuppose motor vehicles as well. A more (geometrically) compact city layout also tends to be more easily navigable by bike/transit.
Well a) there are actual exclaves in Austin, so it is by definition impossible to navigate everywhere in Austin without leaving the city even if you were just doing walking as the crow flies, b) city limits are always by their very definition due to political boundaries because a city is a political entity which chooses by political process what areas to absorb and what areas to not absorb, c) you also have many other measures of compactness which are used in my own research. For an overview of different measures, please see:

http://cdn.azavea.com/com.redistrict...Paper_2010.pdf

In my own academic research (which focuses on geographic distribution of voters across space and how that interplays into a divisive primary's impact on general election vote shares, as well as other spatial analysis involving district level elections), I use these compactness measures all the time (particularly Reock, as it is the most widely used measure with the least external validity problems according to the best minds in the discipline). It isn't as if I'm just telling you "oh, Austin is less compact" because I believe that it is so. I'm saying that because I've been running these numbers for years and so I've got a practiced eye. I could be wrong here, of course, having not bothered to download shape files and see, but I really don't think I am.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Well a) there are actual exclaves in Austin, so it is by definition impossible to navigate everywhere in Austin without leaving the city even if you were just doing walking as the crow flies, b) city limits are always by their very definition due to political boundaries because a city is a political entity which chooses by political process what areas to absorb and what areas to not absorb,
Sorry, I didn't catch that you meant "impossible to reach by road from anywhere else" without leaving city limits.

Granted. Austin (at least currently) has some exclaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
c) you also have many other measures of compactness which are used in my own research. For an overview of different measures, please see:

In my own academic research (which focuses on geographic distribution of voters across space and how that interplays into a divisive primary's impact on general election vote shares, as well as other spatial analysis involving district level elections), I use these compactness measures all the time (particularly Reock, as it is the most widely used measure with the least external validity problems according to the best minds in the discipline). It isn't as if I'm just telling you "oh, Austin is less compact" because I believe that it is so. I'm saying that because I've been running these numbers for years and so I've got a practiced eye. I could be wrong here, of course, having not bothered to download shape files and see, but I really don't think I am.
Thank you for the links, very interesting.

Maybe the disconnect here is that while "indentedness" (figure 3, your first link) may be a useful tool for catching unneeded/illegal gerrymandering, I'm claiming it's much less of a concern for the general functioning of a city.

For purposes of providing transportation, transit, police and fire coverage, access to parks, etc. I believe there's very little benefit to that first shape in that figure vs. the last.

It's that middle one that is problematic.

So I agree with this Reock measurement, at least as far as I'm understanding it. I think it's measuring the same things I was eyeballing.

But under that measurement, Austin still seems more compact to me.

LA is going to require a bounding circle with a diameter of at least 45 miles and some change (we'll call it 45), which gives it an area of ~1590 square miles. Compared to it's actual area of 503 square miles, or ratio ~3.2

That same ratio applied to Austin (271 square miles) would give us a bounding circle with a radius of 16.5 miles.

But a radius of 15 miles seems enough to completely enclose Austin (with a centroid approximately at Lamar and 29th).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:10 AM
Honored Member

"Indentedness" is an interested new word, I like it. Or, as one of you earlier referred to it, "fractal boundaries."

Is there anything remotely meaningful in computing the ratio of the city limits (total length of the boundary line) to the radius of a circle that would encompass all portions of the city? Didn't think so. But Austin would probably score higher on that, in spite of L.A.'s San Pedro proboscis.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
"Indentedness" is an interested new word, I like it. Or, as one of you earlier referred to it, "fractal boundaries."

Is there anything remotely meaningful in computing the ratio of the city limits (total length of the boundary line) to the radius of a circle that would encompass all portions of the city? Didn't think so. But Austin would probably score higher on that, in spite of L.A.'s San Pedro proboscis.
There isn't anything meaningful about it in this context, no, which is why nobody's ever computed the scores for cities to my knowledge. Now, if we're talking about congressional districts its a very useful quantifiable measure of gerrymandering.

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 24, 2015 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:36 AM

Does anyone know what happened to HillCountry?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Does anyone know what happened to HillCountry?
He's The ATX now.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 1:47 AM
Meh

Yep. I changed his name (he asked me to).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
He's The ATX now.
Hmmmmm, I feel like you Time Lord regenerated. I don't know if I know you anymore Did anyone else know about this or am I the only one who missed the transformation? I should have noticed the newbie (ATX) had over 3K posts. Well I missed you, glad you are back, er...never left, but I thought you mentioned a while back you were leaving Austin...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:39 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I feel like you Time Lord regenerated. I don't know if I know you anymore Did anyone else know about this or am I the only one who missed the transformation? I should have noticed the newbie (ATX) had over 3K posts. Well I missed you, glad you are back, er...never left, but I thought you mentioned a while back you were leaving Austin...
I had no idea, either.

I've considered asking Kevin to change my s/n to Lzppjb (with a capital) just so people don't think it's an I. But I've had that name lowercase for ~17 years. Can't bring myself to change it.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:36 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I had no idea, either.

I've considered asking Kevin to change my s/n to Lzppjb (with a capital) just so people don't think it's an I. But I've had that name lowercase for ~17 years. Can't bring myself to change it.
With the L capitalized it immediately brought to mind "Lazy people Justin Bieber" which makes no sense because jb isn't lazy. But, as you may recall, I thought the L was an I until you explained to me what the whole thing stood for. Seventeen years is a long time to have a user name! I tend to migrate from one forum to another and my user names have changed. My earliest incarnation was deeptrance, which (like tech house) is a genre of electronic dance music. But I like LZ too, especially their earlier albums. LZ-1 was, IMHO, the best debut album ever made.

Where's all the ground-breaking music today? Seems like musicians are much more derivative, timid, and conformist than they were back then. And when they're original, it's based less on musicianship than it is on gimmicks and/or "being weird", such as Austin's own Ghostland Observatory. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to grow up in a world where all the great rock was made by my parents' generation.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:38 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm into Ghost currently. They started in 2010.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
I made the change to sync up my user name across SSP, Urban Planet and SSC.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:22 PM

Conan had a trailer for a fake Michael Dell film inspired by the latest Steve Jobs movie:

http://teamcoco.com/video/michael-de...IsImlkIjoiMiJ9

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 8:53 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So what is up with several of the buildings DT being dark the last couple of weeks? Of all the times with ACL going on you would think they'd want the skyline fully lit.

Frost has been dark other than the signs as well as the One American Center. Now even the Bowie Tower isn't lit.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So what is up with several of the buildings DT being dark the last couple of weeks? Of all the times with ACL going on you would think they'd want the skyline fully lit.

Frost has been dark other than the signs as well as the One American Center. Now even the Bowie Tower isn't lit.
Who is the "they" that controls the skyline and would want it fully lit for ACL?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:10 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Who is the "they" that controls the skyline and would want it fully lit for ACL?
They as in the management for each building and why not have the skyline lit for one of Austin's most high profile events?

It could be because of crickets. What was it a couple of years ago there was that cricket explosion. I've been seeing a whole lot of crickets again the past couple of weeks. Maybe they have the lighting off to keep them away.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
They as in the management for each building and why not have the skyline lit for one of Austin's most high profile events?

It could be because of crickets. What was it a couple of years ago there was that cricket explosion. I've been seeing a whole lot of crickets again the past couple of weeks. Maybe they have the lighting off to keep them away.
I'm leaning towards that cricket explaination also. After the swarming subsides, they can turn the light back on. Now watch the lights come back on in a few days and prove us both wrong.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 6:11 PM
Honored Member

This is a pretty good piece on the need for cities (with a spotlight on Austin, Boulder, and San Francisco) to embrace continual change in order to avoid the pitfalls associated with excessive hyper-local control:

http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/10/...-weird/409783/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 11:21 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
This is a pretty good piece on the need for cities (with a spotlight on Austin, Boulder, and San Francisco) to embrace continual change in order to avoid the pitfalls associated with excessive hyper-local control:

http://www.citylab.com/work/2015/10/...-weird/409783/
Really interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 5:53 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Really interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
I was tempted to print and mail it to our council members but.... no printer, and too much hassle. Besides, the 3 on council who I'd most hope would read it are all very unlikely to modify their current philosophy of city governance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin