HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 12:03 PM

Was in the mall the other night and Hallmark is still open, didn't notice any signs saying it was closing either. Could it be they are keeping it open? There used to be two other stores in the Fredericton and Brookside malls years ago so I don't think there being two now would be out of the question.

Was by the Smart Centres site also, and it looks like work has started there now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:34 PM

There was a sign at Hallmark a couple weeks ago saying *I think* they were closing May 28th. Maybe it's June 28th now or I misread it. Not sure if I'll head up to the mall today or not, but if I do I'll look again.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 4:29 PM

Ok, I made mockups of most of the roundabouts that were mentioned earlier:
Prospect and Regent:http://i.imgur.com/LEwLtYy.jpg
This one is basically a carbon copy of Route 8/Smythe.
Hanwell and Prospect:http://i.imgur.com/PqJ7UXT.jpg
Ring Rd. and Maple:http://i.imgur.com/9W4Mry4.png
Made this one with an overpass since most of traffic there is straight through on Ring.
Smythe, Woodstock, St. Annes, Brunswick, Queen:
http://i.imgur.com/giToSfp.jpg
Two Nations Crossing and Ring Rd:
http://i.imgur.com/JQakyk7.png
My personal favorite.
Ring Rd. and Brookside:
http://i.imgur.com/3nG7f2i.png
Not sure about this one. Took advantage of the open space around it.
Main and Sunset:
http://i.imgur.com/zJvIbnW.png
This one was hard because of the entrance to Cooperators.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 8:18 PM

Nice mockups, especially the ideas of the ramps, so they aren't just straigth roundabouts but also have a bit of variety.

Think you might be able to mock up a Westmorland change? Bend the bridge so it's main flow is on St Annes to Smythe (quadruple up the Smythe off ramp), bend Westmorland Street so it becomes the new end of St Annes; and maybe keep the on ramp from Regent/St Annes. The numbers (both distances and costs) wouldn't allow it, but the more I think of it, the more I like that; combined with Smythe becoming the main North/South artery instead of Regent.

Main and Sunset was listed on the Main Street Village plan; they're looking into putting roundabouts at each end of Main street if feasible. So if it doesn't pan out, it'll stay as is.

I was by Hallmark today, and they don't hvae the closing signs up any more, but they do have signs to the new location. I didn't have time to ask if they were closing at some point or keeping both open.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:07 AM

Foundation has been poured for whatever is replacing the old Scholtens building on Regent.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:58 PM

Just heard radio announcements for the Westmorland Bridge closures and work. It confirmed that the Phase 1 work will shut down the south side ramps and the side walks; which will make the "Consider Walking or Biking" option a bit harder (Even with the pedestrian bridge downriver). Oh well, the work desperately needs to be done; a month or two of pain for a better Bridge is worth it.

I do wish they would consider (too late now but in general) rebuilding the Charles Street bridge as a pedestrian bridge. If that existed, I'd say close off Westmorland's sidewalk completely.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:14 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Just heard radio announcements for the Westmorland Bridge closures and work. It confirmed that the Phase 1 work will shut down the south side ramps and the side walks; which will make the "Consider Walking or Biking" option a bit harder (Even with the pedestrian bridge downriver). Oh well, the work desperately needs to be done; a month or two of pain for a better Bridge is worth it.

I do wish they would consider (too late now but in general) rebuilding the Charles Street bridge as a pedestrian bridge. If that existed, I'd say close off Westmorland's sidewalk completely.

I dont know if i would go that far. But i am sure my shocks on my car will be glad after taking the smythe street ramp to get on the bridge, before they did some light patch work they had some pretty deep holes there

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 6:33 PM

Hmm... here's an idea. Of NB's Big 3, we're the only ones without a Princess Auto. 2NC's Smart Centre feels a bit more Male oriented compared to Corbett Centre now. Would a Princess Auto fit into the next phase they are developing? Having Crappy Tire in the same Centre might be a turn off; but in Saint John they look to be close together.

Oh never mind. They just updated the site plan. The new section has a Dollarama moving in, with an empty nub left over still unmarked.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 6:42 PM

Ha, of course a Dollarama is going there. Those things seem to be everywhere.

The problem with 2NC is that it likely only attracts local shoppers. Princess Auto would probably be better placed uptown so that it is more accessible to people who come from places like Woodstock to shop here.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:36 PM

OK, I made the mockup but I wasn't 100% sure what you meant. Is this anywhere close?
http://i.imgur.com/6RuHbPn.png

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 7:56 PM

Looks close. But you can break the connection between the bridge and Westmorland, and remove the clover leafs. That would simplify that tangle left behind.

Basically it would become the Smythe Street Bridge. Smythe street would no longer connect to St Anne's Point.

Westmorland Street would be where St Anne's Point ends/starts now, other than an on ramp from St Annes onto the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 9:43 PM

yeah, sorry. I meant to erase the cloverleafs but I rasterized the photo before I remembered to. Ignore those lol

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 9:54 PM

Hehe. It's just some free thinking anyways; not anything that would ever be done. The biggest con with that idea is it would cut Downtown off from the Northside; you'd have to go to Woodstock Road to go downtown from the Bridge.

Hopefully, with the 3rd bridge, the traffic on Westmorland might be cut down enough to not need anything that extreme.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 11:18 AM
Any where but Fredericton

I just found the site. Dollar rama that is patheic . not even news worthy

Last edited by trev71; Jun 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:00 PM
The Sheriff

Now this is very exciting for Fredericton North getting another Dollar Rama, This is a game changer, watch out southside.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 4:00 PM

Noticed that work has finally begun on the apartment building on Bowlen Street. Pouring concrete at that site today

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Noticed that work has finally begun on the apartment building on Bowlen Street. Pouring concrete at that site today
Had meant to mention that last week, I noticed some of the footings were poured then.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:40 PM

Kingswood has published more information about its proposed "Kingswood Village" development.

Here's an overall site plan. Note the hotel and future restaurant, as well as the apartment buildings closer to Hanwell Road:

A closeup of the townhouses themselves:

The site also claims that they will add an indoor waterpark in 2015 but the site plan doesn't make it clear where that will be.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 5:57 PM

Saw a plan from the architects that would have the waterpark an expansion of the existing Entertainment Centre. Having said that I thought the owner had previously stated that it would be in the new Radisson Hotel. I believe that version is what is represented on the left hand side of the hotel.

Time will tell...

Last edited by Freddypop; Jun 10, 2014 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Hehe. It's just some free thinking anyways; not anything that would ever be done. The biggest con with that idea is it would cut Downtown off from the Northside; you'd have to go to Woodstock Road to go downtown from the Bridge.

Hopefully, with the 3rd bridge, the traffic on Westmorland might be cut down enough to not need anything that extreme.

I think it could work if it was done with Regent instead of Smythe.

Last edited by Franco401; Jun 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces