HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 1:32 AM
Pro Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
This building is amazing! and that pano photo of Dubai is so sexy, I love it! Dubai is going to be incredible in just a few years, heck I might even go there and see it myself one of these days. Anyways, this may have already been stated but how tall is it now?
605 meters, give or take a couple meters.
There is a whole bunch of guyed radio masts a bit taller, but not for long.

Last edited by graham; Feb 15, 2008 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 1:39 AM
Pro Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
also, a second project is to derive an equation that will calculate amount of BurjDubai cutoff (h) seen from a distance d away from that tower and at a specific eye elevation (h').
That IS the project, as far as I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Instead of eye elevation (h') at a man's height, make it 100 meters. One person is 100 meters up one tower, the other 600 meters up BurjDubai, both 60 km apart; how much of each other's tower can the other person sight neglecting air lens effect?
As intertesting as that is, that's not the project, and since there are some not enamoured with this subject let's not start any new scenarios.
I think we'd be pushing our luck - lol. Thanks.

Here's an up close and personal shot by Imre Solt, that reminds us it's still a construction site still. Somewhat dirty and dusty....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE REAL!!!???........ http://www.meed.com/news/2008/02/hyd...all_tower.html

Last edited by graham; Feb 15, 2008 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 8:06 AM
nuttin

Thanks Graham

I used to like BD but at 600 metres this thing is becoming an eyesore . I cant imagine in 10 years time it will look any better given the rate technology moves nowdays .
The window cladding is bland and also appear on other structures like Trump Chicago. From most angles the building appears to have a lop sided V shape instead of 3 sided

My 2 pence

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:34 PM
Pro Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
Thanks Graham

I used to like BD but at 600 metres this thing is becoming an eyesore . I cant imagine in 10 years time it will look any better given the rate technology moves nowdays .
The window cladding is bland and also appear on other structures like Trump Chicago. From most angles the building appears to have a lop sided V shape instead of 3 sided

My 2 pence
For sure, the fact that the last 3 1/2 months! has brought us only 3 levels of steel, seems unbelievable to many people.
Even the 7 or 8 levels before that were excruciatingly slow too.
It dashes enthusiasm and interest. Creates doubt. Publicity and media interest wane.
The concrete forms at the top level of the "high wing" are still sitting there!! Who knows?
I think it might be time for a 100 percent management refit.
I am really dissapointed myself and fear there may be a major forkup on the horizon.
Other than that...........

Well, I think it's the best thing done architecturaly since the Ghery Musem in Balboa Spain ( albeit not a scraper).
When all the cladding is on it will take up a more thick and solid appearance and will reflect light in a dazzling way.
Even just doing the bottom 2 mech levels with cladding will bring a new terrific feel from it.
It's going to be a masterpiece as hinted at in the Staudach shots.
Did you see those? Scroll back a bit if you didn't see em. They are the first good clue of what will emerge there.
Have patience - you'll love it again!

My one pence - lol.

Last edited by graham; Feb 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM. Reason: spelling as usual

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:24 PM

^^ There's no problem in Burj Dubai and the speed of construction is at should be, considering what it's being done.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:25 PM

Shots from Dec 30th, 2007

closer...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:04 PM
Pro Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
^^ There's no problem in Burj Dubai and the speed of construction is at should be, considering what it's being done.
I hope your right, but it seems to me and many others that 3 1/2 months for 3 levels of steel with a rather small floor area suggests problems.
We might expect problems with unproven materials, untested design, winter type weather, labour problems etc., but none of that is apparent.

Why do you think it is taking so long?
They are falling further and further behind schedule - yes?
Does that not suggest unexpected difficulty?

Thanks for your excellent pics Altin D.

Last edited by graham; Feb 16, 2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

I was just wondering, this kinda has to relate to this towers construction and may eventually one day impact it, but has there been any suicide bombings in Dubai, I think I remember hearing that there have never been any, or at least none recently. It would seem to be a possible target because I mean Dubai is trying to emulate the West and attract Westerners, does that pose any threat to the city? Since it is run by Arab interests and not westerns for the most part is that why it is safe?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 6:14 AM
BANNED

Can we try to get some photos of BurjDubai from a long distance away? Be interesting to see the maximum distance that this tower can be photographed from on a clear day and the effects of haze and atmospheric refraction on the image, especially taken at distance from a boat out in the Gulf.

Calculations are one thing but distant photos taken through telephoto lenses would be great!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 4:11 PM
Pro Know It All

Quote:
I was just wondering, this kinda has to relate to this towers construction and may eventually one day impact it, but has there been any suicide bombings in Dubai, I think I remember hearing that there have never been any, or at least none recently. It would seem to be a possible target because I mean Dubai is trying to emulate the West and attract Westerners, does that pose any threat to the city? Since it is run by Arab interests and not westerns for the most part is that why it is safe?
I think you answered your own question.
From what I understand - their law is derived from their religion and so they are not a target for fundamentalist extremists.

Last edited by graham; Feb 16, 2008 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 8:41 PM

i do have to give you guys props.....your all mad smart lol

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 5:22 AM
Proudly Canadian

Hi all.

Been away for a few days - gotta eat - gotta work ....

Took 2 days to go through all the pics out there recently - 250 pics for the collection ....

Hats off to all the photogs.

Arabian Business - 08 02 02 - just some of what they have in their World spread !

I tried to go back and find where I got these so I could credit the photogs - no luck - my eyes hurt ...:nuts: - 08 02 08

08 02 09

Here is just 2 of many fantastic night shots from Omaro. These are part of absolutely the best set of night shots ever ! The 3 posted a few pages ago are also very nice ( I can't recall the name of the photog ) but Omaro's are of comparable quality and much more different angles and number of shots. I encourage everyone to go to Bikes' Site in photo's, Feb 12 and check them out !

Here is some renders of the lobbies interiors from SOM. These are new to my collection - I already had 3 of the interior and 4 of the exterior of the lobbies ( Lobbies - as there are 3 of them ).

I have to thank Imre for his continued updates through Flickr in this transision to his new pad. I hope you all went there or Bikes' site to see the 60 odd pics from Feb 14 - very nice !

I used one of Imres great shots for this - to show the levels to the top of tier 16.

Have a good day all.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Sometimes atmospheric conditions actually extend the distance at which you can see a skyline. There is an effect called lensing that happens on Lake Michigan sometimes that allows you to see the Milwaukee Skyline (tallest building is like 200m) from clear across the lake which is like 80 miles or 150km or something like that.

What happens is that cold, dense air, gets on top of the relatively warm non-dense air generated by the relatively warm lake water and acts as a lens bending the light coming from Milwaukee back down by a few degrees allowing you to see it from great distances.

PS: When the Chicago Spire is complete there will be an easy line of sight between the top of CS and the top of the tallest building in Milwaukee. I have a feeling that you will often be able to see Milwaukee from the top of CS whenever there is a slight lensing effect from the lake. That would be sweet, seeing another city from nearly 100 miles away.

i can back you up on this. Growing up along lake michigan in Ottawa county, standing on top of the sand dunes i saw the lights coming from the chicago skyline.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 12:08 AM
BANNED

can it be seen from the coast of Iran?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 12:30 AM
BANNED

The closest point in Iran to the tower is Oibl Bandar Lengeh, Iran, a distance of 94 miles (151 km). Would love to see a photo of the tower from that distance just to see you could actually see it from that distance at sea level!

Another great viewpoint is Abu Musa a distance of 49 miles (79 km) to the tower.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:32 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

I'm liking this view:

Makes Dubai look nice, actual highrise cluster instead of the good ol' strip that we normally see. Will be nice to re-visit this view in 5 years.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 5:13 AM

The building is truly a wonder of engineering....and the night shots are mad dope. Wow!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
I hope your right, but it seems to me and many others that 3 1/2 months for 3 levels of steel with a rather small floor area suggests problems.
We might expect problems with unproven materials, untested design, winter type weather, labour problems etc., but none of that is apparent.

Why do you think it is taking so long?
They are falling further and further behind schedule - yes?
Does that not suggest unexpected difficulty?

Thanks for your excellent pics Altin D.
What schedule? No one has seen the schedule... the schedule changes with every redesign and there has been many of those.

BTW, in 24 hours they erected some 5 pillars for the next floor and as per today mid-day, at least three of them were connected horizontally already.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Fortunatelly no such incidents so far and hopefully will not be any soon. The city is under very tight security and the Big Brother is always watching, from the moment you put foot in the Airport ... even that not visible to the people.

Of course there might be other geo-political reasons as well.

BTW, the city is not just trying to atract the so called westerners, they/we are already here.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 8:08 PM
Hala Wal'la

22 sec long clip by me on the 18th of FEB of the BD !

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=f9fjg3&s=3

another one

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=5nop69&s=3

Yum

Last edited by GO_UAE; Feb 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive