HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
I was there a few months back and did not notice many vacancies, just that about half of the stores were anything but upscale, which is what I would expect being that Saks is the anchor. Really aside from Brooks Brothers, Allen Edmonds, and Banana Republic everything is pretty underwhelming. Too many junk and trinket type of businesses, Heck the Sunglasses Hut does not even carry Persol, Ray Ban is about as highend as they get. I remember at one point there was a Williams Sonoma and a Pottery Barn, but both are gone post-K. Personally I would love to see an Apple store and an Omega boutique as I'm partial to both, but I would be good with anything that replaces the junk and trinket shops.
J. Crew, Anthropologie, Michael Kors, the Theaters, and the up coming lulu lemon have spent millions over the last couple years moving in and upgrading their stores. Canal Place still has plenty of room for improvement by attracting some additional upscale shops but they have come a long way post K.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 11:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
J. Crew, Anthropologie, Michael Kors, the Theaters, and the up coming lulu lemon have spent millions over the last couple years moving in and upgrading their stores. Canal Place still has plenty of room for improvement by attracting some additional upscale shops but they have come a long way post K.
Agreed the stores are not bad at all and there arent any trinket stores left besides the toy store on second floor. The ugliest thing there is the food court and that is being upgraded. Mortons finally renovated and it looks great compared to the 80s fabulousness that it was. Even the jean therapy which moved to the second floor looks a hell of a lot better than the store that was on the first floor.

Jamba Juice Opening Soon on Magazine St.
Posted on October 29, 2012 by gnorealestatenews
CityBusiness reports that the Jamba Juice being developed at the corner of Magazine Street and Louisiana Avenue will open within the first two weeks of November.

The opening was delayed after a drunk driver crashed through the building making it “structurally somewhat unsound.”

The local franchisee group, Juicy Investments, opened its first Jamba Juice store at 930 Poydras St. and plans five others in the New Orleans and Baton Rouge area.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 3:41 AM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 4:10 AM

I'm all for it. The building is a historic treasure and is large enough to hold all of the city departments, outside of law enforcement and public works, in one building. I would demolish the current city hall and either expand Duncan Plaza to Poydras or build a nice residential tower.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 4:25 AM
TL;DR

Eh... urban plazas are only as good as the buildings that front on them. Duncan Plaza is already fronted on three sides by parking garages and derelict buildings.

Charity as City Hall is a neat idea but the building itself is way too large; the city only needs 1/3 of its 1M square feet. I don't know what you'd do with the remainder of the space once the city has finished moving in. It would be tricky for the city to lease it out to private companies or residents.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 5:33 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Eh... urban plazas are only as good as the buildings that front on them. Duncan Plaza is already fronted on three sides by parking garages and derelict buildings.

Charity as City Hall is a neat idea but the building itself is way too large; the city only needs 1/3 of its 1M square feet. I don't know what you'd do with the remainder of the space once the city has finished moving in. It would be tricky for the city to lease it out to private companies or residents.
I really do like the idea and then I think the current building should be sold to a private developer. Some state offices and maybe federal offices could be in the building as well. With a little sprucing up our city hall could be just as pretty as Los Angeles.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:31 PM

Third @ Prytania

Not a massive development, but they started demolishing the large "mansion" (it was apparently multi unit) at Third and Prytania that was destroyed in that HUGE fire months ago.

Should be interesting to see what goes up there and how long it takes. Obviously they're under a lot of historical restrictions in that area.

All of these recent demolitions on St. Charles scare me though. We've all seen how they deviate from their plans (*cough* Romney Pilates)...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 8:28 PM

Another demolition

The ugly and abandoned apartment building on the corner of Tulane Ave. and S. Johnson St. (across from the under-construction LSU Human Development Center) has been demolished. Hopefully something bigger and better goes in its place and Tulane Ave. continues to become grander. On a side note I heard the Bio-District director talking about the future of Tulane Ave. on Fox8 a few weeks ago, saying the neutral ground would be returning as if it were a done deal... I hope he's right.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nzs...LA&form=LMLTCC

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 9:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The ugly and abandoned apartment building on the corner of Tulane Ave. and S. Johnson St. (across from the under-construction LSU Human Development Center) has been demolished. Hopefully something bigger and better goes in its place and Tulane Ave. continues to become grander. On a side note I heard the Bio-District director talking about the future of Tulane Ave. on Fox8 a few weeks ago, saying the neutral ground would be returning as if it were a done deal... I hope he's right.

As long as they keep the sidewalks wide too. Also I noticed work going on at the Plaza Tower ... Wouldnt be surprised if they were working to at least reopen the parking Garage... Especially since all the nearby lots will be disappearing for sometime for South Market District and the building is now on the streetcar line.

Update: LOL found this on City Planning Commission Agenda

ZONING DOCKET 116/12 – Request by JSW PLAZA TOWER, LLC for a Conditional Use to permit a non-accessory parking garage in a CBD-5 Central Business District, on Pt. Square 275 and a portion of the former South Rampart Street right-of-way, in the First Municipal District, bounded by Howard and Loyola Avenues, Julia and South Rampart Streets. The municipal address is 1001 HOWARD STREET, UNIT 1. (ZBM C-14/PD 1a)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 5:44 PM

Innovative Food and Farming Center Location Announced. I'm happy with it!

http://f2t-int.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 7:31 PM

^^^^ haha, it's a good will gesture by the convention center and as soon as they have the money to expand that far they'll say "Hope you enjoyed it, now we're tearing it up!!" But it's cool all the same

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 11:14 PM
TL;DR

^^ That's fine, though. It's designed to be temporary. I don't see why we have to let prime urban land sit unused and wasted when temporary uses could be stoking the economy. Look at that image: look at how much vacant land is sitting there, right at the end of the busiest bridge in the whole state and one of the busiest in the country. All of that is controlled by the convention center and so far they've just sat on it, twiddling their thumbs and waiting for an expansion that may never happen. I'm glad they're finally realizing the potential.

(full disclosure: i'm involved on this project and some similar temporary installation stuff on other sites)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 4:14 PM

^^ Oh i fully agree...I just laugh whenever companies (etc) are like "woo hoo look at us for being so green and friendly" when it's really a veiled "until we need it for better money making purposes."

Which, I'm a full-bore, red blooded capitalist so there's nothing wrong with that.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 4:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
^^ Oh i fully agree...I just laugh whenever companies (etc) are like "woo hoo look at us for being so green and friendly" when it's really a veiled "until we need it for better money making purposes."

Which, I'm a full-bore, red blooded capitalist so there's nothing wrong with that.
Nothing wrong with that and it seems more of that property could be temporarily used for something too.

Joseph Bartholomew Clubhouse and Storage Building

Estimated Value*
$1,300,000.00
Address
6520 Congress St.
New Orleans, LA 70127
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Site work and new construction of a municipal building in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the new construction of a 6,320-square-foot clubhouse with concessions stand and a 3,867-square-foot storage building. Plan also include a 1,680-square-foot picnic shelter.

This project will bid to a list of general contractors in the fourth quarter of 2012 with construction to follow in early 2013. Interested parties can direct any inquiries to the architect.

CVS #10108 / New Orleans

Estimated Value* Square Footage
$1,000,000.00 13000
Address
To Be Announced
New Orleans, LA 70129
Orleans County
New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA Region
Description Site work and new construction of a national chain retail store in New Orleans. Completed working drawings are calling for the construction of an approximately 13,000-square-foot retail store. Plans include pharmacy, sales floor, storage, office and restroom areas.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 1:45 PM

Answering my own question

Quote:
Not a massive development, but they started demolishing the large "mansion" (it was apparently multi unit) at Third and Prytania that was destroyed in that HUGE fire months ago.

Should be interesting to see what goes up there and how long it takes. Obviously they're under a lot of historical restrictions in that area.

All of these recent demolitions on St. Charles scare me though. We've all seen how they deviate from their plans (*cough* Romney Pilates)...
They put a design sketch on the construction fencing by Williams Architects. I haven't stopped to look at it, but by driving by at low speed it looks to be very tudor-ish which should be interesting. I dont think there's much tudor architecture in that area, but i'm not architect / historian.

Any thoughts about it or it's appropriateness in the LGD?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 5:52 PM

National WWII Museum

Catwalks inside the under construction U.S. Freedom Pavilion at the National WWII Museum:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 5:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
They put a design sketch on the construction fencing by Williams Architects. I haven't stopped to look at it, but by driving by at low speed it looks to be very tudor-ish which should be interesting. I dont think there's much tudor architecture in that area, but i'm not architect / historian.

Any thoughts about it or it's appropriateness in the LGD?
It's not tudor, it's Shingle style. Very Newport-ish.

Kinda like this:

source

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 7:29 PM
-

Some news from the print edition of city business:

NOLA Fund makes offer for Silicon Valley Firrm:
Has the potential to bring 65 jobs to Nola area. The company Versant Corp would be relocated to New Orleans.

Fema adds money for two city projects:
1. Joe Brown Center in eastern New Orleans will receive an additional 1.7 million.
2. The Munincipal Yacht Harbor will receive an additional 5.3 million for repairs.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 7:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

Looks like there is going to be a large development down the block!

Gravier St. 2215-17, Tulane Ave. 2200-02-04-06, S. Galvez 411, 419-21-23-25-27-29-31-33-35-37-39-41, S. Miro St. 528-30: Castrogiovanni Family LLC to Campus Federal Credit Union, $1,500,000.

They bought most of the rest of the block!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 2:07 AM

I'm sure that this has been mentioned a million times, but does anybody know what they are doing with the block one block uptown and riverside of the Fifth Circuit? It looks like they've torn out everything but the facades.

(there has been so much news lately that I have trouble keeping track of all the projects. a good problem to have )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations