HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 9:43 PM

I don't know if there are any actual, hard dates for expansion beyond the targets identified in that master plan from a few years back.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:28 PM

Searching WS schedule for a Monday in November, the US departure times are:
PSP 07:10
ATL 07:30
BNA 07:40
LAX 08:00
MCO 15:50
LAS 16:00
PHX 17:20

Obviously Friday is a peak demand day, but it’s odd to run a bunch of less than daily routes and have everything bunch up on one day. It’s also disappointing that half of it departs too early to make any connections possible here.

That said, peak hour departure are what WAA said to be the trigger for terminal expansion. No decent gate time for anyone to add another daily route at least not without really making accommodations to make a schedule work.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't know if there are any actual, hard dates for expansion beyond the targets identified in that master plan from a few years back.
Sorry to be a pain if you have already posted, but what are those dates? And is the master plan readily available to the public?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst View Post
Searching WS schedule for a Monday in November, the US departure times are:
PSP 07:10
ATL 07:30
BNA 07:40
LAX 08:00
MCO 15:50
LAS 16:00
PHX 17:20

Obviously Friday is a peak demand day, but it’s odd to run a bunch of less than daily routes and have everything bunch up on one day. It’s also disappointing that half of it departs too early to make any connections possible here.

That said, peak hour departure are what WAA said to be the trigger for terminal expansion. No decent gate time for anyone to add another daily route at least not without really making accommodations to make a schedule work.
All the more reason to proceed with a terminal expansion sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:22 PM

WestJet propels Winnipeg's growth forward with new year-round, daily service to Montreal and Ottawa

Further expanding Winnipeg's transborder leisure network, WestJet to launch the only direct service to Nashville

WINNIPEG, MB, April 8, 2024 /CNW/ - WestJet today celebrated the latest additions to its Winnipeg network, featuring new year-round, daily service to Montreal, as well as increased, daily, year-round service to Ottawa, beginning June 3, 2024. WestJet also announced new highly anticipated seasonal service between Winnipeg and Nashville, set to take off on September 16, 2024, establishing the airline's seventh direct transborder connection out of Manitoba's capital city.

WestJet propels Winnipeg's growth forward with new year-round, daily service to Montreal and Ottawa (CNW Group/WESTJET, an Alberta Partnership)

WestJet's ongoing commitment to significantly enhancing Winnipeg's growing network of air connectivity, central to the airline's ambitious growth strategy, was on display today at a special event hosted at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport, attended by the Honourable Wab Kinew, Premier of Manitoba and Nick Hays, President and CEO, Winnipeg Airports Authority.

Providing choice and convenience for Winnipeg's thriving business community

"We know how critical Ottawa and Montreal are for Winnipeg's business community, and we are thrilled to continue supporting Winnipeg's economic growth through strategic air service," said Mike Scott, WestJet Group Executive Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer. "Expanding connectivity for Winnipeg is in direct response to our WestJet Rewards members and loyal business guests' need for reliable and convenient, non-stop service to and from both Ottawa and Montreal."

Start Date 3 June 2024

Winnipeg - Ottawa

Daily

Departure (local) 17:15

Arrival (local) 20:50

Ottawa - Winnipeg

Daily

June 3

Departure (local) 21:35

Arrival (local) 23:26

Winnipeg - Montreal

Daily

Start Date 3 June 2024

Departure (local) 9:35

Arrival (local)13:20

Montreal - Winnipeg

Daily

June 3

Departure (local) 14:20

Arrival (local) 16:30

"There's something exciting happening in Winnipeg and in Manitoba right now. People across the country are recognizing the opportunities we have here – from our incredible low-carbon economy, to our arts, culture, music and sports," said Premier Wab Kinew. "The addition of these routes is a part of that – making it easier to drive economic growth and attract visitors to our beautiful province."

Connecting Winnipeg and Music City

Further enhancing WestJet's position as Canada's leading leisure airline, WestJet will become the only airline providing direct connectivity between Winnipeg and Nashville this fall.

Winnipeg – Nashville

2x weekly

Start date September 16

End Date November 15

Depart (local) 11:10

Arrive (local) 14:20

Nashville - Winnipeg

2x weekly

Depart (local) 7:40

Arrive (local) 10:25

"Strong air connectivity unlocks a world of opportunities for all those who live and work in Manitoba, allowing them to embark on bold journeys while growing their roots at home," said Nick Hays, Winnipeg Airports Authority President & CEO. "We're greatly appreciative of WestJet's unwavering commitment to our community. Their continued growth at YWG and eagerness to work with us to launch new routes not only underscore the strength of our longstanding partnership but also exemplify our shared dedication to enhancing the region's economic and social wellbeing."

WestJet's 2024 schedule provides expansive coverage across Canada and increased access to popular leisure destinations across North America
With the addition of Montreal and Nashville, WestJet will connect Winnipeg to over 23 non-stop destinations this year.

https://westjet.mediaroom.com/2024-0...eal-and-Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 10:54 PM

Thank god for the additional YUL line. Round trips from YWG-YUL have been creeping up close to a $1000. Next time I come back I’ll definitely take advantage of it.

Now just need a direct flight to Quebec City (in my dreams lol) and we’ll be golden.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 10:56 PM

^ I would also expect Porter to announce a YUL-YWG flight at some point within the next year or so. It's about bloody time we had a decent selection of flights to the country's second largest city. QC is a non-starter for most of Canada anyhow outside of the Windsor-QC corrider, Vancouver and Calgary (only because of WestJet's Fortress Calgary hub).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 12:54 AM

YQB has very low air traffic for a city its size. It’s too bad residents don’t realize that if they travelled more domestically they’d also benefit from more visitors, both with ‘seeding’ demand for a little service, and just acting as ambassadors for their city. Great city to visit.

Personally I’d think a seasonal once or twice a week service to YQB is no more ‘out there’ than BNA.

I kind of expect Porter YQR-YYZ and YWG-YUL to be announced sooner than ‘a year or so.’ It’s a little late for summer start, and I’m not sure of their delivery schedule - they need more deliveries to meet currently announced sked. I am looking at how long it takes as a litmus test of how PD reacts to heat from WS.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:22 AM

I believe Flair has given it a go with QC seasonal service to several Canadian cities in the past, including Edmonton and Halifax, but they never lasted beyond one summer season. Flights to QC never seem to last in most of Canada unless you are one of the major hubs or within the Toronto-QC corridor. Perhaps QCers are just not interested in domestic travel for the most part, which would be a shame. The only hope for a QC flight at YWG IMO is WS but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I would also love for Porter to expedite an announcement regarding YWG-YUL service sooner rather than later. I'm a but surprised they didn't make an announcement this year or end of last year in time for this summer season, but it is what it is.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:02 AM

I believe seasonal YEG-YQB flights a couple of times a week were offered before the pandemic.

YEG is a larger market, and would be more likely to get most services before us, and has a larger francophone community than Calgary, but with the francophone community here and shorter distance I’m not sure - if they were willing to try if from YEG that they wouldn’t try it from here. Outside chance maybe, but not a way far outside one.

The big issue for YQB is that there would be almost zero traffic from that end. Apart from low travel rates, Quebecers also tend to support companies on their end. I suspect that most YYC-YQB passengers originate in the west, not the east. I think the same would be true if they ever tried YWG-YQB.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:42 AM

They did YEG-YQB last summer on Flair, but the yields were apparently horrible so they cut it and are now doing YYZ-YQB this summer instead, which is not surprising since Flair have really been building up YYZ lately.

These YQB flights are definitely not geared for QCers but rather tourists wanting to go to that city.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
It's interesting how the business community is lobbying for a NYC flight. One has to wonder if this is the next big target to acquire for WAA. I would say NYC would be one of the two final missing pieces of the puzzel for US connectivity from YWG. The other being DFW.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
It's interesting how the business community is lobbying for a NYC flight. One has to wonder if this is the next big target to acquire for WAA. I would say NYC would be one of the two final missing pieces of the puzzel for US connectivity from YWG. The other being DFW.
If someone had told me exports to Tennessee was 200 million I would have been shocked, never mind 2.4 billion, that's insane. Our provincial economy is so interesting.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
If someone had told me exports to Tennessee was 200 million I would have been shocked, never mind 2.4 billion, that's insane. Our provincial economy is so interesting.
I know eh! I was a bit shocked by that, and maybe part of the justification to establish a seasonal BNA route. Then again, WS seem to be establishing the BNA flights for WS's hub and focus cities, and since YWG is a focus city, it makes sense for them to launch the route here as well. Who really knows, but either way I'm all good with it and think it will perform quite well.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:22 AM

I was referring to WS having offered YEG-YQB before the pandemic.

I don’t put a lot of stock in Flair’s ability to develop routes. Skimming traffic off routes with volume, and lose money while doing it, maybe. Marketing to get people to go somewhere different, not so much.

Re: US routes. An airport authority wanting more service should not come as a surprise. How close a carrier is to adding a route we can’t say. NY has been wished for by various media sources for decades. We’re now decades closer to it coming, but still don’t know when.

My company does a decent amount of business in Tennessee and I’m sure we’ll use the route. I think we’d rather have predictable daily ATL than having to work around another missing tooth schedule, though. And we need flights that allow connections here, too.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:43 AM

NYC may have been in the want for decades, but there does seem to be a real push by WAA to grow the airport and our route system in the last couple of years. Nothing is for certain, but I feel that with the current WAA pro-active management in addition to the subsidy in place for routes exactly such as this, we stand a better chance than ever before to establish a NYC route sooner rather than later. There have been rumours regarding a Newark flight with United in the last few years, which may be our best shot. Time will tell, but I feel we aren't all that far off from this becoming a reality.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:01 AM

Quote:
there does seem to be a real push by WAA to grow the airport and our route system in the last couple of years. Nothing is for certain, but I feel that with the current WAA pro-active management
I don’t see any difference in their media soundbites or behaviour over these years. It is WAA’s job to run the facility. It will be the airlines that decide to operate a route. Not that there isn’t an advocacy part to it, but that is behind closed doors and not in media soundbites.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:13 AM

Quote:
I don’t see any difference in their media soundbites or behaviour over these years. It is WAA’s job to run the facility. It will be the airlines that decide to operate a route. Not that there isn’t an advocacy part to it, but that is behind closed doors and not in media soundbites.
LOL yes they definitely appear to be more active in seeking new routes in comparison to pre-pandemic times, and the newly established subsidy should be a dead giveaway for that, which is how we are now at six year-round US city destinations and another four that are seasonal, the most on record.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:32 AM

Quote:
LOL yes they definitely appear to be more active in seeking new routes in comparison to pre-pandemic times, and the newly established subsidy should be a dead giveaway for that, which is how we are now at six year-round US city destinations and another four that are seasonal, the most on record.
Because they said they want more routes in a media interview? Or for the province providing revenue guarantees? Lol indeed.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Because they said they want more routes in a media interview? Or for the province providing revenue guarantees? Lol indeed.
I think someone needs to loosen up their collar and relax. We are getting more routes because of the effort the province and WAA are undertaking. We don't need to scrutinize everything under the microscope.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan