HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:44 PM

How about an ARCO tower inspired supertall...

Sorry, please don't ban me.

As far as Lowe is concerned, I don't think they've ever built anything higher than 3 stories. No chance they survive the next cut. Also we don't want another Grand Ave eternal delay situation. I agree with Onni being the best bet for actually getting something built. There's no point in awarding the project to someone that can't get financing.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:08 AM

Just noticed that it's been over 3 months since the front page was last updated. Wilshire Grand, Olive & 8th, and a few others should be removed, since they are now complete.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Hate the location. I don't think any new skyscrapers should be going up in the historic core. It's just not fitting. Keep the new stuff from Figueroa to Hill. Continuing to connect the Financial District with South Park is a noble endeavor.
I like the contrast between new and old. You see a lot of that in NYC! But it's inconceivable to me why someone would buy a high rise condo without a balcony, particularly in L.A.!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I like the contrast between new and old. You see a lot of that in NYC! But it's inconceivable to me why someone would buy a high rise condo without a balcony, particularly in L.A.!
I own a high rise condo in DTLA and often wondered why I don't have a balcony. That is the ONE THING that I really wanted but none of the high rise condo buildings(Ritz, Metropolis, etc) offered a balcony. Is it a safety issue?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
I own a high rise condo in DTLA and often wondered why I don't have a balcony. That is the ONE THING that I really wanted but none of the high rise condo buildings(Ritz, Metropolis, etc) offered a balcony. Is it a safety issue?
It's definitely not a safety issue. If you really wanted a balcony you should have waited for Metropolis phase 2&3. They have them from floors 3-15. Also Luma in the South Group complex and Evo currently have balconies and the Oceanwide plaza twin towers will have balconies on their condos. Many of the new buildings have balconies but it's just the phase of development and financing we are in where developers would much rather rent than sell. Plenty of new apartment high rises have balconies... all of the Onni towers, all of the Holland Partners towers (both frankentowers and Apex II)... all of which are being built to condo spec and all it would need is for the developers to give the word to sell as condos.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
They can build bigger & taller if they buy & transfer development rights from another parcel like Library Tower (US Bank Tower) did from the Central Library parcel. It may take the council to agree, but they did it with Library Tower. That established the precedent. Maybe develpment rights could be shifted from a low rise city government building. The city can always use more money. 1250-1300 feet, 80-90 story mixed use super-tall would be great! Could name it "Olympic Tower" in time for 2028, with a winged angel spire/statue on top.
I used to really Love the idea of all these new supertall buildings topping the USBank tower... until I started traveling the world. I came back to LA in such appreciation for what it is and actually love our skyline the way it is. USBank is the perfect crown and is centered in the skyline. The current boom is definitely altering the skyline by elongating it to one side but overall from many angles, it's still pretty much going to be the same but more filled. The Wilshire grand is perfect where it is and with its height in not dominating over everything.

We are actually the last city in the world that has a gradual peak skyline where the tallest is in the center and everything builds up to it very dramatically (at least from Baldwin hills/east LA/pasadena). Every other city in the world has tall buildings spread all over the place, no center... or if there is a super duper tall, it sticks out without a build up. Our skyline is perfect in my eyes. The next super tall needs to be an amazing design and in the right location. NYC used to have nice peaks... but lately is getting messy. Chicago has 3 peaks and no center. Not to mention the countless massive yet non centered skylines of Hong Kong, Beijing, London, Tokyo, Atlanta, Dubai, Miami, etc.... but the world must change and I can't hold onto forever the current state of the skyline as much as I love it

Wilshire Grand still under construction

Last edited by hughfb3; Aug 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:01 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
I used to really Love the idea of all these new supertall buildings topping the USBank tower... until I started traveling the world. I came back to LA in such appreciation for what it is and actually love our skyline the way it is.
I like your post since it's more realistic & also deals with dtla for what it is....appreciates it for what it is.....& how it relates to other places you've been.

When I see ppl getting obsessed about super talls, or talking about the height of new projs in dt as though nothing else matters...or nothing else is as important....they remind me of ppl going into great detail about how they'll spend their earnings after they win the $300 million lotto.

they often seem oblivious to the economics of dtla. They have an attitude of 'build it & they will come.' I wish things were that simple.

as I was watching a video of someone walking around LA live, the main thing that stood out to me is not that bldgs in dt are not taller or aren't tall enough. the main thing that stands out are that prominent locations throughout dt are still parking lots.

At other times I'm reminded that streets like broadway are still stuck with too many swap meets, some of them constantly plagued by graffiti.....or the hood still has too many semi vacant or fully vacant store fronts.

whenever I'm actually in dtla....not just dealing with it as a distant, abstract idea.... the lack of infill in general, high density or low, is what always catches me off guard. It's at moments like those that dtla not having enough of the bldgs seen in cities like NYC, hong kong or chicago seem like the least of any issue or problem.

Video Link

when I'm going through the peripheral sections of dt, even new smaller, shorter projs like these are more greatly appreciated since those areas are otherwise mainly rundown old warehouses, parking lots & things like struggling liquor stores.....

Quote:

FMB Development Breaks Ground on New Landmark, Mixed-Use Property in the Heart of Downtown L.A.’s South Park District

Business Wire

August 09, 2017

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Last night, FMB Development and Build4You celebrated a ground breaking on a landmark mixed-use property in the heart of one of Southern California’s most exciting entertainment districts and growing residential communities. The event featured remarks from the CEOs of FMB Development and Build4You and a catered reception open to the neighborhood and local business community.

Located at 1317 Hope Street in Downtown Los Angeles’ South Park District—only blocks away from the L.A. Convention Center, Staples Center, L.A. Live and the Metro Blue Line Pico Station – the property boasts 7 stories, 38 units and four thousand square feet of ground floor commercial space.

The property will add to the neighborhood’s walkability, character, and retail offerings, while providing a boutique feel and high-end living amenities to residents. It will expand the residential community along the southwestern edge of Downtown surrounding Pico Boulevard. Tailored to meet the needs of the Downtown workforce, 1317 Hope Street features modern studio and one-bedroom apartments, along with two luxury penthouse suites, each with their own private rooftop decks.

Building partner Yossi Peretz added, “1317 Hope Street will stand out among other new developments in the area because of our commitment to only using the highest quality building materials and top-of-the-line finishes, creating a building that is both luxurious and iconic.”

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:42 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:54 PM

Looks like Grand Ave has grown to 39 stories and 20 stories, opposed to the 30 and 16 stories listed on the front page.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
An alternative to balconies is a rooftop deck for everyone, to get some fresh air!

So many of the hotels I stayed in on my 7 trips to South America had rooftop decks, to get a 360 degree view of the city. Some of the spaces weren't so large, but even some of the 2 star hotels had that welcomed amenity! So hard to find in this country!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 5:46 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
How about an ARCO tower inspired supertall...

Sorry, please don't ban me.
I could go for a Richfield like tower art deco neo noir spired 1,350 so and so myself.

But honestly, if the Angel's Knoll site produces a tower in the 750 - 900 foot tall range, I would be perfectly happy.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:11 PM

I'm definitely feeling some Rockefeller Center vibes from the Grand Ave project.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 6:57 PM

200k sq ft of retail in the Grand Ave project is insane. They best make much of that space flexible so it can be converted into office or lofts when it never leases out.

Last edited by Steve8263; Aug 11, 2017 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:01 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Grand Avenue Project files for construction permits

Quote:
100 S GRAND AVE 90012

Application / Permit
17019-10000-03332
Plan Check / Job No.
B17LA14037
Group
Building
Type
Bldg-Demolition
Sub-Type
Commercial
Primary Use
()
Work Description
***DPI AND POSTING*** DEMO EXISTING 2 STORY PARKING STRUCTURE.
Permit Issued
No
Current Status
Application Submittal on 8/7/2017

btw, this meme was created on the lacurbed website back in 2008, or 9 yrs ago....

la.curbed.com

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:02 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I parked in that garage last night to go to a show, and hope it's the last time I park there!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 8:42 PM

The Related website says it'll have 215K sf of retail, including a movie theater complex. I would have thought DTLA's movie going needs to be fully met by the Regal LA Live and upcoming 12-screen Alamo Drafthouse.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
The Related website says it'll have 215K sf of retail, including a movie theater complex. I would have thought DTLA's movie going needs to be fully met by the Regal LA Live and upcoming 12-screen Alamo Drafthouse.
The Alamo Drafthouse will only have 560 seats (LA Live has 3,772).

Consider that Downtown Santa Monica has two AMC's (7 and 4 screen), Arclight (12 screens), and Laemmle (6 screens). And Arclight is looking at building a second 12-16 screen theater. All in, DTSM is expected to have 5,676 seats.

I think it's reasonable to think the DTLA would have a similar number.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 11:18 PM
Ascension

A movie theater on top of Bunker Hill across the Disney Hall makes a lot of sense. Bunker Hill is the last part of downtown that needs to see some redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 3:09 AM

The Alamo seems like it will probably be only 4-6 screens.

I think a larger theater than that could do well in the northern end of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
NICE. It actually looks like a breath of fresh air; I'm so sick of blue or green glass boxes on top of podiums.

Build it already!

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations