HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 7:53 PM

Which one? The King and Caroline?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 9:40 PM

Yes sorry should have provided coordinates, King & Caroline.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 10:54 PM

Renos, temporary outlet on-site.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 6:26 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Isn't the breather, the super lame park just kitty corner? Hopefully that gets filled with positive activities once the blocks around it get filled with residents.
We don't talk about that one lol..

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
We don't talk about that one lol..
😂

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 12:45 PM

Materials aren't posted yet, but today's Nova Res Urbis offers a list of this weeks Design Review Panel:

468-474 Millen Road, Stoney Creek

I believe we have already seen this one:

1600 Upper James Street

A new LJM project at Upper James and Rymal:

1494 Upper Wellington St

A new Valery Homes development at Upper Wellington and Stone Church. Likely a rental?

Interestingly, The one file that I heard was going to the DRP for September is not on the schedule, nor is the Main and James project. Are we certain that the September meeting didn't happen?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Materials aren't posted yet, but today's Nova Res Urbis offers a list of this weeks Design Review Panel:

468-474 Millen Road, Stoney Creek

I believe we have already seen this one:

1600 Upper James Street

A new LJM project at Upper James and Rymal:

1494 Upper Wellington St

A new Valery Homes development at Upper Wellington and Stone Church. Likely a rental?

Interestingly, The one file that I heard was going to the DRP for September is not on the schedule, nor is the Main and James project. Are we certain that the September meeting didn't happen?
The email I received from the DRP coordinator was:

"I just wanted to reach out to you to let you know we may be rescheduling the September DRP presentation.

I will reconnect with you when we have set a date for the meeting."

I never received a response even though I followed up after this email, so I assumed it was cancelled. Perhaps it wasn't? There is nothing online about the meeting nor a YouTube video of it. Whoever runs the DRP never seems to be very good at uploading the Information to the public.

I really wish we had a system like Toronto or Burlington where every development site had information on the website. Like Burlington does sooo much better at hosting the information for the life of a project.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 2:47 PM
Hammer'd

Nice to see some new stuff on the mountain. I feel like Upper James and Rymal in particular will get really crazy over the next couple decades.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:25 PM

Just followed up again and received the following:

"No application has been made for 18-30 King St E.

I can advise if we do have a submission for November or December."

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Nice to see some new stuff on the mountain. I feel like Upper James and Rymal in particular will get really crazy over the next couple decades.
I agree. But don't dare change one of our most "suburban" of major suburban arterial intersections!

That one at 1600 U. James is probably the most likely to get through. All 4 corners can easily be redeveloped into more intense land uses (though the gas station land on the southwest will present some remediation issues, so I bet that happens last)

468-474 Millen doesn't have a whole lot of residential around it and seems quite reasonable in terms of size, so maybe it will squeak past the complaints department. With this and the other large ones just to the west of Seasons and at Frances and Green, plus whatever has been proposed further eastward, transit will become very important for the North Service Rd. A transit connection to Confederation GO and Eastgate would be a nice idea.

Wellington and Stone Church will get a rough ride from the local residents for sure.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Just followed up again and received the following:

"No application has been made for 18-30 King St E.

I can advise if we do have a submission for November or December."
I have NO confidence Blanchard will move quickly on this. He's much like a Stinson but without the fanfare and occasional news items.

If anything I expect the new sections proposed behind it on Main will go up first... giving 18-30 King more time to demolish themselves.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I agree. But don't dare change one of our most "suburban" of major suburban arterial intersections!

That one at 1600 U. James is probably the most likely to get through. All 4 corners can easily be redeveloped into more intense land uses (though the gas station land on the southwest will present some remediation issues, so I bet that happens last)

468-474 Millen doesn't have a whole lot of residential around it and seems quite reasonable in terms of size, so maybe it will squeak past the complaints department. With this and the other large ones just to the west of Seasons and at Frances and Green, plus whatever has been proposed further eastward, transit will become very important for the North Service Rd. A transit connection to Confederation GO and Eastgate would be a nice idea.

Wellington and Stone Church will get a rough ride from the local residents for sure.
I think Millen road one will be approved no problem -- 8 Shoreview Place | 84 & 120m | 25 & 37 fl is much taller and right next door, and it got approved. Plus there's already that fugly old-folks home

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 3:56 PM

I hope the city takes all the DCs from development on millen at the lake there and actually rebuilds Millen between Barton and the lake with curbs and actual sidewalks. It’ll be crazy to have thousands of residents up there with no pedestrian connections to the rest of the city. Plus that stretch of Millen is in terrible shape.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 12:27 PM

https://www.hamilton.ca/build-invest...n-review-panel

DRP materials now posted.

The Valery proposal is a special kind of terrible. I hope the DRP rip it apart.

I quite like the LJM proposal - the Millen Rd proposal is just sort of meh.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 7:54 PM

11-floor (38m) expansion of Wellington Square on the mountain, going to planning committee October 31:
https://urbansolutions.info/wellington-square/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 9:17 PM

Seems we might be seeing something at the corner of Locke and Main, and it seems Hamilton is starting to see more land amalgamations:

"notable transactions occurred on the SW corner of Main St W and Locke St S, in Hamilton, as a collection of 5 individual properties was purchased by Iron Point Capital Management for a total of $5,000,000 for approximately 0.51 acres, equating to $9,800,000/acre. This $/acre price point reflects a value typically seen for high-rise developments."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 11:10 PM

Not surprised, we knew something was brewing there when the variety store closed last year. 0.5 acres works out to be exactly the parking lot and few buildings on that lot.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Not surprised, we knew something was brewing there when the variety store closed last year. 0.5 acres works out to be exactly the parking lot and few buildings on that lot.
I mean it closed because the owners decided to retire, this was just purchased.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 1:50 AM

I mean, that doesn't really seem like a coincidence. Yes, they retired and decided to put it up for sale. Iron Point capital finally finished securing all of the adjacent properties. Now the question, how long before we see a proposal here. My guess, pretty soon. They've probably already been working with architects before they even finished closing the sale.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 6:20 AM
Ham-burgher

Main already feels different with the mid-rise going up on the south side... I drove through there yesterday, noted some digging at 428 but it wasn't conclusive of much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton