HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
None of these examples are pre-911. Switzerland joined Schengen in 2008, the Eastern European examples I gave joined Schengen in 2007. The Russia-Finland example was only 5 years ago.

Maybe you are right that the US and Canada are less reasonable on border issues than Russia, but I am also not sure that anyone has looked into the matter in a serious way.
The problem of your examples is not whether or not they are pre-9/11, but that they are inherently incompatible with US-levels of border paranoia and Wikipedia has a quite detailed and illustrative account of how overly strict border procedures killed off „The International“, i.e. the Toronto-Chicago cross-border service:

Similarly, the US border authorities have made abundantly clear that they will only tolerate additional cross-border rail services if border checks are performed at pre-clearance facilites - and the continued absence of such at Montreal‘s Gare Centrale is a prime reason why plans to extend the Vermonter back to Montreal have been stalled…

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 6:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

If you have the political will, you can overcome huge obstacles. You can find innovative sources of funding and ways to lower costs. You can make extra room, invent new technologies and develop new procedures. But without the political will, even the smallest barrier becomes insurmountable. So if the US has no desire to streamline border crossings, little can happen until that changes. Fortunately there's still plenty to keep Canada busy on this side of the border before we need to worry about them.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If you have the political will, you can overcome huge obstacles. You can find innovative sources of funding and ways to lower costs. You can make extra room, invent new technologies and develop new procedures. But without the political will, even the smallest barrier becomes insurmountable. So if the US has no desire to streamline border crossings, little can happen until that changes. Fortunately there's still plenty to keep Canada busy on this side of the border before we need to worry about them.
Agreed, and finally funding and building that long-promissed cross-border facility at Gare Centrale (to speed up the Adirondack and extend the Vermonter) is clearly within our camp…

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
The problem of your examples is not whether or not they are pre-9/11, but that they are inherently incompatible with US-levels of border paranoia and Wikipedia has a quite detailed and illustrative account of how overly strict border procedures killed off „The International“, i.e. the Toronto-Chicago cross-border service:

Similarly, the US border authorities have made abundantly clear that they will only tolerate additional cross-border rail services if border checks are performed at pre-clearance facilites - and the continued absence of such at Montreal‘s Gare Centrale is a prime reason why plans to extend the Vermonter back to Montreal have been stalled…
That may well be the case, but it is a different argument that the one you were using before that it can’t be done or that nobody does it.

Frankly, I think if Trudeau had gone to Amtrak Joe with a specific proposal for on board clearance I think Biden would have at least required the agencies to look at the proposal seriously. I just don’t think it is on anyone’s radar.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That may well be the case, but it is a different argument that the one you were using before that it can’t be done or that nobody does it.
My argument was not that on-board border checks cannot be performed on the Canadian-American border, but that if such practices are virtually unknown at borders with much more pragmatic attitudes towards border security, it is simply not realistic to expect such practices to get prioneered at our border. I had indeed forgotten about the Finnish-Russian border, even though I’ve seen with my own eyes the border agents waiting at the platform in Kouvola (some 100 km west of the border town Vainikkala) waiting to board the Sapsan (which has been and remains suspended since March 2020, which are of course not relevant for our discussion here), but that doesn’t invalidate my argument.

Quote:
Frankly, I think if Trudeau had gone to Amtrak Joe with a specific proposal for on board clearance I think Biden would have at least required the agencies to look at the proposal seriously. I just don’t think it is on anyone’s radar.
I believe the (for me at least) rather surprising burst of plans for uilding a border facility in Windsor to allow cross-border rail connections between Toronto, Detroit and Vhicago to be restored, clearly shows that there is some level of international commitment to improve the Status Quo. However, given how the oolitical gridlock in the United States is slowing down even the most mundane (and uncontroversial) policy decisions, I can’t blame anyone in Washington for not treating improved border procedures and cross-border connections for one of the tiniest niches of an already shockingly unpopular transportation mode as any kind of priority. That said, with the stalled plans for the border facility at Gare Centrale, the roadblocks seem to be firmly on our own side of the border…

Many of the discussions we are having here would be better suited for a politics forum (or fantasy threads), as they assume an alternative political universe than the one we Canadians and especially our American neighbours live in…

Last edited by Urban_Sky; Jul 6, 2024 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 3:37 PM

As we sit in Smith Falls waiting for the freight train to pass. I wonder what the state of Train travel would have been if we “just got on with it” with the Turbo Train in 1967. Do you think there would have been a dedicated passenger rail line from QC to Windsor by now? I’m not saying high speed but at least high frequency rail?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 6:17 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
Many of the discussions we are having here would be better suited for a politics forum (or fantasy threads), as they assume an alternative political universe than the one we Canadians and especially our American neighbours live in…
I think that's a bit of a stretch. The thing with politics is that things can change, sometimes quite drastically, especially after an election. And certainly with multiple elections across several jurisdictions. So hoping for a change in government perspective to go from opposed or ambivalent to supportive is hardly a different universe. Especially since many of the things we're discussing wouldn't even start until projects like HFR are well underway or nearing completion.

While I can't speak for anyone else, I wouldn't expect any significant upgrade in international service to happen at a time when our domestic service is borderline antiquated and barely perfunctory. I see the international aspect specially as a natural continuation of intercity rail progress once we've achieved those easier goals since we don't have many other domestic routes that would be suitable. Plus, even stuff like HFR has advanced at a glacial pace despite there being a purportedly supportive government. So we can assume that most ideas involve longer time frames, and while long term planning discussions are very uncertain and speculative it isn't exactly fantasy. And if anyone doesn't like discussing anything too speculative they can opt-out.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 1:09 PM

Découvrez Lumi et la nouvelle flotte de VIA Rail : un train unique pour célébrer une nouvelle ère!

Video Link

Ce train arbore une peinture jaune monochrome spéciale, rappelant l’un des premiers modèles de train opérés par VIA Rail, le Turbo. Il s’agit du seul des 32 nouveaux trains Siemens Venture à posséder cette peinture distinctive. Dans cette vidéo, nous explorons le design de Lumi et l’inspiration derrière celui-ci. Nous avons également eu l’opportunité de discuter avec les experts impliqués dans la conception, la réalisation et la mise en place de cette nouvelle flotte moderne.

AN ENGLISH VIDEO WILL RELEASE IN THE COMING DAYS

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Feds were in Moncton the other day for an announcement at the VIA station:

Feds confirm Via Rail will replace entire fleet of trains, no clarity on fixing N.B. tracks
Transport minister reiterates modernization plan; transport advocate says tracks should come first
Rhythm Rathi · CBC News · Posted: Jul 11, 2024 6:14 PM ADT | Last Updated: July 11
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...rail-1.7260958

Pretty meaningless news conference. While they confirmed the entire rail fleet in the country will be replaced (not just those trains serving the corridor routes), they refused to give a time line.

When quizzed by reporters after the announcement about the deplorable state of the Bathurst sub, and how this has placed a 50 km/hr speed limit on that section, they made no commitment to repair and upgrading that section. They were also non committal regarding any new Maritimes routes (like Moncton-Saint John).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They were also non committal regarding any new Maritimes routes (like Moncton-Saint John).
VIA will lack the necessary fleet for anyof its non-Corridor services until the full delivery of the new non-Corridor fleet, which will take at least 10 years. Given that there are at least two federal elections (and at least one likely change of government) until then, how meaningful would have any expression of commitment possibly been?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:50 PM

Introducing Lumi and the New Fleet of VIA Rail!

In this video, we explore the design of Lumi and the inspiration behind it. Hear from the experts at VIA involved in the concept, design and execution of the new fleet project.

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada