HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:14 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Empty retail space vs what they have now would make literally no difference to the mall. It's a dead zone as it is...
Right but at least you give it the opportunity to become more lively if you open it up.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:19 PM

^ I find it very puzzling that Cityplace can't attract a few more retail tenants. The mall more or less bottomed out around 2003-04 right when the skywalk link was closed due to the MTS Centre being under construction, and it has pretty much stayed in that state ever since despite the fact that the arena opened and then the Jets came back which leads to the mall being quite busy on event nights. Now you have TNS opening up across the street, and still no tangible signs of improvement to Cityplace's retail levels.

I mean, I'm not expecting Louis Vuitton to set up in there, but you would think they'd be able to at least fill the paltry amount of space on levels 1 and 2 with some form of retail. It's a pretty busy place.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:41 PM

For clarity, I would prefer the empty retail space. Like optimus mentioned, there's at least a possibility of something going in there.

That being said, the farmers market space on the main floor is sitting empty for some time now. Seems there is no shortage of restauranteurs who want to take a stab at the food court. When one outlet goes down, another fills it space soon after.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
How much of City Place does MPI use? I assumed more than they actually do it seems. Since they put the training centre on the second floor and whatever the space that was just renovated next to Robin's (which looks like a funeral parlour, with dim lights and pseudo luxurious feel).
MPI would be the largest tenant in the office tower. Probably next would be the Winnipeg 311 contact center after DVA moves out.

CN Rail use to have one whole floor in City Place for their Canadian Customer contact center but moved out years ago and downsized their operations to the Portage and Main area and/or CN owned space at Symington Yards from what I had been told by somebody who worked there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:18 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I find it very puzzling that Cityplace can't attract a few more retail tenants. The mall more or less bottomed out around 2003-04 right when the skywalk link was closed due to the MTS Centre being under construction, and it has pretty much stayed in that state ever since despite the fact that the arena opened and then the Jets came back which leads to the mall being quite busy on event nights. Now you have TNS opening up across the street, and still no tangible signs of improvement to Cityplace's retail levels.

I mean, I'm not expecting Louis Vuitton to set up in there, but you would think they'd be able to at least fill the paltry amount of space on levels 1 and 2 with some form of retail. It's a pretty busy place.
Louis Vuitton sounds like a good tenant

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the 41,000 +/- sq ft of office space that come up for lease in City Place 6th floor in April 2019. Will any major company want to go there to be close to big players @ True North Square at a lower lease price than being in True North Square?

That space is currently leased by Canadian Govt Veteran Affairs who have been a long term tenant in City Place.
Where is Veteran Affairs relocating to?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:37 PM

Does anyone have new pictures of the Sutton Place construction site they could post?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:49 PM

I can get some tomorrow. It's still pretty barren from what I can tell. I don't think any major excavation has occurred. Lots of piles gone it. Caisson too. They have some hoarding up on the site along Carlton, not sure what is underneath. I'll walk over to the convention centre and get a photo or too.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:28 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
I can get some tomorrow. It's still pretty barren from what I can tell. I don't think any major excavation has occurred. Lots of piles gone it. Caisson too. They have some hoarding up on the site along Carlton, not sure what is underneath. I'll walk over to the convention centre and get a photo or too.
I think it’s because of the weather and the snow piles

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:43 PM
Ignore these four words.

It seems like only yesterday when we were talking about piles, caissons and hoarding for TNS. Time goes by fast.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:55 PM

Sorry by piles I meant piled foundation has gone in. Not piles on the site. There have been some piles of dirt from the caissons but they get hauled away.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:08 PM

Photos from the skywalk today. Not the greatest. It's a bit difficult to get a good photo of the site.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:02 PM

^ Thanks for the photos!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:38 PM
Formerly rypinion

In the first picture you can see the completed windows in the top floor of Medical Arts.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:29 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
In the first picture you can see the completed windows in the top floor of Medical Arts.
It looks interesting

Actually im interested in what pattern of windows they are going for, I guess it’s related to the floor plan

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:20 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

They should start moving the webcam to the Sutton site, and update the time and date to it too.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:05 AM
Winnipeg

That area is going to worth much I think in the future...quite some residential buildings just in that space

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Photos from the skywalk today. Not the greatest. It's a bit difficult to get a good photo of the site.
I don't have any pictures, but the upper level of the little parkade in the RWB complex provides an interesting perspective of the site.

Of course it does involve braving the elements.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:51 AM
Starring as himself

It seems as though forumers don't own actual cameras anymore. It's as though we've gone full circle back to the SSP of 2002 when you had to imagine projects in your head.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It seems as though forumers don't own actual cameras anymore. It's as though we've gone full circle back to the SSP of 2002 when you had to imagine projects in your head.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan