HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 10:17 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Are destinations within the corridor really that big a percentage of Bishop traffic? I'm sure it's a decent chunk but it also has flights to NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston, Sault St. Marie, Halifax, Moncton, Fredericton, Thunder Bay, Sudbury and even Timmins. Makes me wonder if a major reduction in corridor flights might just be an opportunity to include other destinations that are currently drowned out by corridor demand.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Are destinations within the corridor really that big a percentage of Bishop traffic? I'm sure it's a decent chunk but it also has flights to NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston, Sault St. Marie, Halifax, Moncton, Fredericton, Thunder Bay, Sudbury and even Timmins. Makes me wonder if a major reduction in corridor flights might just be an opportunity to include other destinations that are currently drowned out by corridor demand.
I counted 21 of 55 departures today were for Ottawa Montreal and Quebec City. I'm pretty sure 55 isn't the max departures, although I don't remember anymore what that number is. Could be the number of aircraft available that is the limiting factor now, I don't know.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I counted 21 of 55 departures today were for Ottawa Montreal and Quebec City. I'm pretty sure 55 isn't the max departures, although I don't remember anymore what that number is. Could be the number of aircraft available that is the limiting factor now, I don't know.
There's an additional daily to Windsor too. It's not just the number of corridor flights. I question how many of Porter's other flights at YTZ could survive without Corridor feed. Either way, now that they have their Pearson and Ottawa hubs, they'll be survive without YTZ.

Old Posted Today, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Yeah, you can always find exceptions, but in places where high speed rail lines are being built there are usually tightly packed cities around 100 km apart.

Lille is is 85 km from Brussels, which is 42 km from Antwerp, which is 74 km from Rotterdam, which is 55 km from Amsterdam. Brussels is also 178 km from Cologne, which is 24 km from Bonn, 35 km from Dusseldorf, or 150 km from Frankfurt, which is 145 km from Stuttgart, which is 160 km from Zurich, or 170 km from Munich.

South of the Alps, Turin is 120 km from Milan, or 103 km from Genoa or 148 km from Nice. Genoa about 200km from Bologna or Florence. There is a bit bigger gap from Florence to Rome (about 230 km), which is 187 km from Naples.

Also, Gothenburg is 250 km to Oslo and 220 km to Copenhagen.
You've just described the most densely populated parts of Europe. Most of the continent isn't the low countries and Germany and Italy. Those are the exceptions. Most of Europe is less densely populated, including the countries with the most developed high speed rail networks.

Old Posted Today, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
You've just described the most densely populated parts of Europe. Most of the continent isn't the low countries and Germany and Italy. Those are the exceptions. Most of Europe is less densely populated, including the countries with the most developed high speed rail networks.
acottawa is like the anti swimmer_spe. That guy would find any excuse to justify a multi-billion dollar rail line. acottawa would probably find an excuse to justify why New York shouldn't have subways.

There is no other developed country that would look at the geography and population density of the QW Corridor and not build at least some kind of Higher Speed Rail service. They may not have built 350 kph bullet trains. But they most assuredly wouldn't be content with passenger rail running behind freight trains doing 80 kph.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada