HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:15 PM

Just as a footnote to that picture, one of the previous owners of Eaton Place (back before the name change to City Place) had applied for a zoning change to extend the movie theater area all the way back over the loading dock to St. Mary's Ave to either add a few larger theaters or more small ones.

For some reason they never went through with the expansion.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:37 PM
keep the good times going

Wow, I didn't even know there was a theatre there. I wish we had a nice movie theatre in one of the downtown malls still. I know there's Towne 8 but it feels out of the way.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Wow, I didn't even know there was a theatre there. I wish we had a nice movie theatre in one of the downtown malls still. I know there's Towne 8 but it feels out of the way.
Used to be a bunch of them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:18 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Yup, went to the opening day of Winnipeg's first CinePlex 7 back on Friday, December 19, 1980, as a 14 yo. JB Mitchell School let out at 12 noon and saw Gary Coleman in "On The Right" the first showing was - I can't remember now, but sometime in the afternoon ... possibly 1:30 PM?

That was also the same time that The Winnipeg Sun STARTED Home Delivery. I had 10 customers to start and gained another 10 by going door to door on Renfrew St. between Grant and Corydon. I remember doing that first days newspapers it was quite cold and windy (-19 to -22ish), but I got her done.

Towne Cinema 8 opened a few months later, August 1981. I remember this also because The Winnipeg Sun had a big todo article about multiplexes opening in Winnipeg. And that milk company paint job on the building had just been completed.

What a day that was. God I loved that period because there were lots of good things to look forward to.

Last edited by LilZebra; Feb 4, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:31 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The cityplace food court was completely renovated, and is quite nice now. Patio is great too.

Do people actually sit out on that patio?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Do people actually sit out on that patio?
When the weather is nice it is packed at lunch time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
When the weather is nice it is packed at lunch time.
And when I am on day shift the morning coffee break can see it packed too!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:54 AM
Winnipeg

CityPlace is really busy at noon....most of the time i have to order to-go for lunch if I didn't cook because there are almost no chances for seats

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^I'd actually say most of the skywalk network is fairly pleasant. Some of the decor is a little drab, but most sections have a ton of windows which really help. I'd say the worst part is the one to RBCCC, which sucks as it's the probably the most seen by out-of-towners. It also essentially isn't heated.

The cityplace food court was completely renovated, and is quite nice now. Patio is great too.
Last week they had to put salt down in that skywalk because they mopped in there and it all froze. I just saw that they added 5 or 6 240v space heaters, they must not be on yet because it is still frigid.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
CityPlace is really busy at noon....most of the time i have to order to-go for lunch if I didn't cook because there are almost no chances for seats
You could say the same for all 3 of the big downtown office worker food courts.... they tend to fill up at noon, although turnover is such that you generally don't have to wait long for a spot to open up.

And to LilZebra's question, the Cityplace patio is actually a really nice spot, they upgraded it a few years ago and it's a great place to sit in the summer. It's a fairly small space though, so it tends to fill up quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Last week they had to put salt down in that skywalk because they mopped in there and it all froze. I just saw that they added 5 or 6 240v space heaters, they must not be on yet because it is still frigid.
Good grief!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
And this is one of the main entrances to our convention centre, which we just spent $200m renovating and expanding, from one of downtown's busiest hotels. Brutal.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 3:29 PM

I recall reading some where after it opened in 2010 there was some design reason (value engineering or to deter loitering?) that heat was not put into the link from City Place to the RBCC.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 3:53 PM

?? We're talking about the skywalk from City Place food court through to 330 St. Mary? There's a bunch of heaters in the ceiling. Or is this across Hargrave or Carlton?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:26 PM

^just the portion between the Delta and RBCCC over Carlton.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:41 PM

New page.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:43 PM

those cams are always welcome but kinda useless, unless its turned to the other build site IMO.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:02 PM

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the 41,000 +/- sq ft of office space that come up for lease in City Place 6th floor in April 2019. Will any major company want to go there to be close to big players @ True North Square at a lower lease price than being in True North Square?

That space is currently leased by Canadian Govt Veteran Affairs who have been a long term tenant in City Place.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:04 PM

How much of City Place does MPI use? I assumed more than they actually do it seems. Since they put the training centre on the second floor and whatever the space that was just renovated next to Robin's (which looks like a funeral parlour, with dim lights and pseudo luxurious feel).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
How much of City Place does MPI use? I assumed more than they actually do it seems. Since they put the training centre on the second floor and whatever the space that was just renovated next to Robin's (which looks like a funeral parlour, with dim lights and pseudo luxurious feel).
It would be nice if MPI moved all that junk up to 6 and restored the retail space on the skywalk level... assuming it could find tenants to lease the space to, that is.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:13 PM

Empty retail space vs what they have now would make literally no difference to the mall. It's a dead zone as it is...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan