HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
WOW Winnipeg WAS far sighted... Imagine how good it would of been if you had built it right, instead of all the crap you have now. An actual high speed road with grade seperation... Thankfully I live in Saskatchewan where we did some of that, and now are continuing to design proper roadways.
Is this for real?

Here is your gold medal!

Now if only someone had thought to build an actual high speed road with grade separation around the city...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:58 PM

Quote:
WOW Winnipeg WAS far sighted... Imagine how good it would of been if you had built it right, instead of all the crap you have now. An actual high speed road with grade seperation... Thankfully I live in Saskatchewan where we did some of that, and now are continuing to design proper roadways.
Interesting...any of my time spent in Regina, I certainly don't recall being impressed by the road network throughout that city.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:05 PM

Does he really want to start this game?!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Does he really want to start this game?!
Its interesting to note though, does Regina or Saskatoon in fact have more grade separations than Winnipeg? Perhaps he's referring to Ring Road vs say Bishop or Lag?

Considering how much larger Winnipeg is than either Regina or Saskatoon (heck maybe even both of them combined), there is merit to what he is saying regarding "building grade separations the right way" on high speed roads. I don't think he only meant simple underpasses either but more so interchanges of sorts in addition to the underpasses or overpasses that are common.

At least that was my take, it may also have been a post in jest.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:13 PM

Didn't look like it was in jest to me. I don't really care anyways, I'm happy with where I'm living.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:30 PM

He is bang on about the far-sightedness and not doing things right though. After all this is a city that puts traffic lights all over expressways and then can't even adequately time or synchronize the lights...and a province that spends hundreds of millions to construct CCW interchange as part of a grand plan to be THE inland port....but then adds two new traffic lights on the city bypass between that interchange and the main highway link to our biggest trading partner. One step forward, two steps back. Brilliant stuff.

Truckers from the US must absolutely hate coming up here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How many lights are currently on your high speed road?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Its interesting to note though, does Regina or Saskatoon in fact have more grade separations than Winnipeg? Perhaps he's referring to Ring Road vs say Bishop or Lag?

Considering how much larger Winnipeg is than either Regina or Saskatoon (heck maybe even both of them combined), there is merit to what he is saying regarding "building grade separations the right way" on high speed roads. I don't think he only meant simple underpasses either but more so interchanges of sorts in addition to the underpasses or overpasses that are common.

At least that was my take, it may also have been a post in jest.
And yes this was my point roccerfeller. I am not going to say that Saskatoon and Regina are perfect. But for the most part I can go 75% around both cities (225,000 average population) without having to stop at a traffic light. And with the new Bypass around Regina to start soon. OUR GTH will have proper access to the national highway system without need for lights on a MAJOR highway.

A quick look at Google maps shows the difference.

A Properly Grade Seperated high speed road shows Orange.

Ring Road - Regina
Circle Drive - Saskatoon
Anthony Henday - Edmonton
Stoney Trail - Calgary

A road with at Grade intersections shows Yellow.

Perimeter - Winnipeg
Sarcee Trail - Calgary
Highway 16 - Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:48 PM

Not sure what the point is of comparing traffic controls of Regina to that of Winnipeg. Winnipeg s 3.5 times bigger. That's like someone from Prince Albert bragging about how much better traffic is than Regina.

I used to live in Regina about 5 or 6 years ago. I don't remember being impressed by the state of their infrastructure. I did total my car so had to take a bus for a while. I remember not being mildly impressed with having to wait an hour for a bus after work from downtown to where I was living.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not sure what the point is of comparing traffic controls of Regina to that of Winnipeg. Winnipeg s 3.5 times bigger. That's like someone from Prince Albert bragging about how much better traffic is than Regina.
My point is. For a city 3 times the size, your traffic systems should be better planned. It just going to show the flaws in traffic design over the past 30-50 years. The willingness of Winnipeg city planners to fill in ROW for important roads is amazing.

Also transit is another matter. Winnipeg is leaps ahead of transit than both Regina or Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:18 PM

Quote:
My point is. For a city 3 times the size, your traffic systems should be better planned. It just going to show the flaws in traffic design over the past 30-50 years. The willingness of Winnipeg city planners to fill in ROW for important roads is amazing.

Also transit is another matter. Winnipeg is leaps ahead of transit than both Regina or Saskatoon.
I'll take a better transit system over wider more free flowing roads/highways any day of the week.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:26 PM

Regina boy, we already know this. MIT is working to upgrade the south Perimeter so you can in fact travel around without stopping. They are installing two more sets of lights, to eliminate about 10 dangerous median openings. shitty yes. But grade separations are being planned in the short term for the south Perimeter.

Your new bypass has uncontrolled crossings. So don't trumpet you have this super freeway, when in fact it isn't the case. Even Circle Drive has a set of lights when they spent $300M on the new part.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
How many lights are currently on your high speed road?
Ouch. You got me there... there are some lights on the Perimeter. But for all of its faults, the Perimeter does go all the way around the city, unlike a certain Ring Road I know

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Regina boy, we already know this. MIT is working to upgrade the south Perimeter so you can in fact travel around without stopping. They are installing two more sets of lights, to eliminate about 10 dangerous median openings. shitty yes. But grade separations are being planned in the short term for the south Perimeter.
Bomberjet please clarify: you say MIT is installing two new perimeter lights...do you mean they have installed two new sets of lights, or there are two more yet to come beyond the new ones at Kenaston and 330?

Also, is there any sort of timeline on the south perimeter upgrades you speak of?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Totally agree with this.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:57 PM

Well this has gotten some response. Always good to have some turbulance on an internet forum. But anyway I am sure it (Perimeter) will be better in time. And I am waiting to see the final plans for the Regina Bypass. At which point we will know if it truly is as well designed as we can hope.

Also I would LOVE a better transit system in Regina. BRT is coming soonish for Saskatoon so that'll be an interesting test.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Bomberjet please clarify: you say MIT is installing two new perimeter lights...do you mean they have installed two new sets of lights, or there are two more yet to come beyond the new ones at Kenaston and 330?

Also, is there any sort of timeline on the south perimeter upgrades you speak of?
The south perimeter upgrades have been pushed back until shovels hit the ground with 59N and 101N interchange.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post

Yeah. Kenaston and PR 330. I do not know of any other places where lights are planned. There really aren't any more locations on the south Perimeter. Only real spot I could think of is Gunn Rd on the northeast. Just close all the median openings.

I'm hoping there will be come more info coming out on the McGillivray interchange and the whole south Perimeter upgrade program. Maybe someone has a bit more info from the inside on that. I would think they've been working hard on that since all the announcements last year.

There was a tender for lighting on the south Perimeter last year IIRC. Biff also mentioned they plan on doing some grading work in preparation for the interchanges and widening that are planned. Hopefully we see some of this stuff coming up soon..

Edit: ahh, theres Biff! Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The south perimeter upgrades have been pushed back until shovels hit the ground with 59N and 101N interchange.
And we expect shovels to hit the ground very shortly? June ish?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Well this has gotten some response. Always good to have some turbulance on an internet forum. But anyway I am sure it (Perimeter) will be better in time. And I am waiting to see the final plans for the Regina Bypass. At which point we will know if it truly is as well designed as we can hope.

Also I would LOVE a better transit system in Regina. BRT is coming soonish for Saskatoon so that'll be an interesting test.
When your first comment is bashing your rival province, you should expect some reaction! haha And we've had a great deal of turmoil and animosity on the Winnipeg threads over the last number of months to year. No shortage on that end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan