HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

245 Rideau Tower [2] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
I walked by yesterday. On George Street one of the garage entrances has a large Metro Parking sign installed. Glancing through windows on Rideau street, the produce section appears to have all the displays and shelving installed. Further back I could see aisles with products. Hopefully this opens soon!
From a couple of weeks ago:

Some rental units are also already available for moving in.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 4:07 PM

I have my reservations abut the towers, especially the behemoth on the east side along the LCBO property, but the podium looks solid. Lots of retail, good materials with the glass and stone, nice lighting. Good street presence overall.

I find that since Tribeca, Claridge has been pretty good at designing decent podiums, compared to the Claridge Plazas that have the charm of a suburban strip mall.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 7:11 PM

Oh nice. Is the outside of the project complete? Haven't seen some recent pictures. Have we seen any planned opening dates float around for the Metro?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Oh nice. Is the outside of the project complete? Haven't seen some recent pictures. Have we seen any planned opening dates float around for the Metro?
Previous page has some good images of the exterior back in late May and early July. Must be pretty close to completion now.

New grocery store in Hull at W/E was supposed to open in May, but I'm told they are still far behind.

Funny the Metro website makes it seem like Rideau Metro is already open, 24hrs a day.

It looks like it opens on August 29.

https://www.metro.ca/en/products-to-...w/metro-rideau

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:52 PM

Metro now Open

Today was the opening day for the new Metro Grocery store. I was there around 11:30 am today. Appeared to have a decent number of shoppers. The layout is a bit different than expected for a grocery store, likely relevant to large pillars and available floor space. It's so nice to have this store back in the neighbourhood!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:54 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Today was the opening day for the new Metro Grocery store. I was there around 11:30 am today. Appeared to have a decent number of shoppers. The layout is a bit different than expected for a grocery store, likely relevant to large pillars and available floor space. It's so nice to have this store back in the neighbourhood!
With this and the new grocery opening in Hull next month, things are looking good.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Yes it is very much the urban format rather than even the in between format at Beechwood.

I only brought one bag as I expected Metro prices but the whole store is onsale including lots of things you can stock up on. Actually more than produce or meat which was normal Loblaws/Metro prices though looked a lot better than the very tired looking produce/meat at Loblaws on Rideau. They are going to have to up their game in either quality or price or they will lose all the west of King Edward crowd and maybe some east too. But maybe this is opening teaser prices.

Agreed it will make a big difference. Not only in convenience but having that block busy again will help the area though the back wall on George looks like it will be blank and have no street interaction.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2024, 2:17 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

The easternmost tower is in the process of being occupied. I saw a few units with curtains and somebody was bringing a mattress in the front door yesterday.

I dunno if this tower is somehow separate but it seemingly called Muse? A couple guys were installing some banners from a scissor lift.

https://muze.claridgehomes.com/

The northernmost tower had many interior potlights on but the top few floors of balcony glass is not installed and the rest of the windows were dirty. Easternmost tower was spotless for the most part.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:03 AM

The Metro layout felt a little bizarre when I was there, but now that I had time to digest it's actually not so bad. It might even make it quicker to go to an specific part if you know where it is.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:48 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisoj View Post

The Metro layout felt a little bizarre when I was there, but now that I had time to digest it's actually not so bad. It might even make it quicker to go to an specific part if you know where it is.
The people of Ottawa are new to the Urban Store format. You will get used to it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 6:11 PM

August 29, 2024
Industry News

Metro opens 132nd Ontario store in downtown Ottawa

Metro has opened the doors to its 132nd store in Ontario in Ottawa’s Byward Market.

The store covers over 32,000 square feet with Metro hiring 125 employees to manage the new location.

Customers will be able to shop a variety of fresh and local products including Foodland Ontario produce, and the option for online click-and-collect ordering or delivery through Skip the Dishes.

“This new store is a true reflection of the ByWard Market. We are giving customers what they want including local products through our Locally Sourced program and a great selection of ready-made meals including stone baked artisan pizza and a hot carvery station, featuring our “signature” Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich. It is important to us that our store integrates with the community, so we’ve tailored our product offering and store décor to the neighbourhood,” says Joe Fusco, senior vice president, Metro.

The store has officially been named Metro Rideau and the décor features photos of local landmarks to pay tribute to the surrounding community. To further strengthen its commitment to the community, Metro will donate $10,000 to the Ottawa Food Bank who is affiliated with Feed Ontario – a long-time partner, notably through One More Bite, Metro food recovery program which has distributed more than 27 million kilograms of food, helping to fight food insecurity while keeping waste out of landfills between 2016 to 2023.

“We are so excited to be rejoining the Ottawa’s ByWard Market community. Our goal is to provide our customers with the best shopping experience possible,” says Shawn Steinburg, store manager, Metro. “I’m looking forward to opening our doors and welcoming everyone to our new and modern store.”

The new store will offer University of Ottawa students’ extra value through Metro’s student discount program, providing a 10 per cent discount every day of the week at the Rideau Street location.

Images available: https://www.grocerybusiness.ca/metro...wntown-ottawa/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa