HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I thought it was one of the planned stores on Mapleton. Though car dealerships tend to build in clusters, so it very well could be on West Main.
Thanks, its could be very possible although I have seen a Rideau construction project along Veteran highway by the airport . I wonder what is it so your location suppositons could be more logic.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 3:57 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Thanks, its could be very possible although I have seen a Rideau construction project along Veteran highway by the airport . I wonder what is it so your location suppositons could be more logic.

Actually, I'm told that that is the new dealership... go figure.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm told that that is the new dealership... go figure.
Along the highway ? If its that this is a weird location.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:07 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Along the highway ? If its that this is a weird location.
Thats what I'm told.

Does make sense though. Very high visibility where it is. Plus, now that the Dieppe Industrial Park is essentially full, they'll be looking to expand behind the airport, which will draw a lot more traffic out there. I expect we'll see a lot of development around the Veteran's in the next few years. There are a lot of new streets going in around Harrisville Blvd. and a new Big Stop is going in on Shediac Rd.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Thats what I'm told.

Does make sense though. Very high visibility where it is. Plus, now that the Dieppe Industrial Park is essentially full, they'll be looking to expand behind the airport, which will draw a lot more traffic out there. I expect we'll see a lot of development around the Veteran's in the next few years. There are a lot of new streets going in around Harrisville Blvd. and a new Big Stop is going in on Shediac Rd.
Obviously, you have a point my friend. Moreover, Moncton airport is by far the busiest in the province it draws alot of outsiders something required for this kind of dealer in a market like Moncton.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Oct 14, 2007 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:39 AM

dp

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:41 AM

Quote:
I expect we'll see a lot of development around the Veteran's in the next few years. There are a lot of new streets going in around Harrisville Blvd. and a new Big Stop is going in on Shediac Rd.
Agree, I hope Dieppe will be able to attract a Aerospace cluster. I suppose the bilinguism and the close relationship between Acadians and Quebercers could help to attract Montreal compagnies in the region.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:14 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Agree, I hope Dieppe will be able to attract a Aerospace cluster. I suppose the bilinguism and the close relationship between Acadians and Quebercers could help to attract Montreal compagnies in the region.

Let's hope. I know Dieppe is pushing hard. I'm really looking forward to this inland port idea that's been discussed somewhat lately. It could mean a lot of jobs for the region, not to mention development.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Let's hope. I know Dieppe is pushing hard. I'm really looking forward to this inland port idea that's been discussed somewhat lately. It could mean a lot of jobs for the region, not to mention development.
Well, Moncton is pushing hard for either inland and the Convention Conter as well but the drawback is both projects seem being ignored by the Federal. Anyway, the city population is growing, in that case, Moncton has to provide quality jobs to newcomers and like you said above the Inland port could be a huge job generator. I also think Moncton city council wants to give a new upswing to IT and call center cluster with help of Austin University or something.

http://www.moncton.org/search/englis...th%20cover.pdf

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Moncton has taken another small step in its evolution into a technological Hub City.

Telegraph-Journal, Published Wednesday September 26th, 2007, Appeared on page B1
Link to original article

A group of business, education, research and economic development leaders known as the Greater Moncton Technology Planning Group released a report Tuesday, entitled "Applying the Benchmark." [Download the report here] It's billed as the group's first "implementation report," building on a strategy released in December that focused on accelerating technology-based economic growth in the Moncton area.

That strategy, developed in partnership with the IC2 Institute of the University of Texas at Austin, highlighted Oulu, Finland as a benchmark city for Moncton to model its strategy after. The latest report results from an April mission to Oulu, where a handful of group members got a first-hand look at the remote Finnish city. Despite being just 150 kilometres from the Arctic Circle, with a population comparable to Moncton's, Oulu boasts a burgeoning tech sector.

Doug Robertson, a Moncton city councillor and chairman of the technology planning group, said Oulu has about 800 technology-based companies. That includes cellphone giant Nokia, which employs more than 4,500 people in the city. While Moncton has only about a quarter of that capacity, Robertson believes there's plenty of room for growth if all the area's players buy into a cohesive plan.

Two major steps detailed in the latest report would create a full-time agency to co-ordinate the growth of the tech sector, and establish a "post-secondary centre of excellence" to drive research. A subsequent report, likely to be released later this fall, will lay out further recommendations for a technology commercialization centre that would help turn ideas into marketable products.

Robertson said discussions are underway with the provincial government regarding the establishment of the full-time agency, tentatively dubbed "Innovation Moncton."

"It would be tasked with co-ordinating the strategy, coordinating the players within the innovation system, playing a networking role and developing local, national and international partnerships, relationships and exchanges," said Robertson, who estimates it would employ three people. "If we're truly going to be effective in implementing this strategy and achieving the objectives we've identified, we need local dedicated resources to carry it out."

Robertson would like to see the province get on board in the startup phase, but envisions an industry-supported organization in the future.

As for a post-secondary partnership, further co-operation with the province will be necessary. Robertson believes the group's goals tie in nicely with the recent report from the Commission on Post-Secondary Education in New Brunswick.

Robertson said that Oulu, which began to move its economy away from dependence on natural resources some 40 years ago, has a "very powerful engine" of integration. It re-evaluates its plan every five years, and universities will adjust programs to respond to changes in the strategy. Meanwhile, dozens of PhDs graduate and continue their research in the area, which hosts a national research centre in addition to a wide array of companies.

"There's a very powerful relationship between all the players, from the post-secondary institutes to the research community to the private sector," said Robertson. "If we can move towards that kind of alignment, it's going to make Moncton look a lot more attractive as a place to invest."

A return delegation from Oulu will arrive in Moncton tonight and spend two busy days looking for business and learning opportunities between the two cities.

One of the key sectors Moncton's strategy aims to build is in the biomedical sector, which already features such organizations as the Atlantic Cancer Research Institute.

Dr. Rodney Ouellette, the institute's CEO, was part of the delegation to Oulu, and he sees plenty of potential for Moncton to emulate Oulu's success.

"They've really got a vibrant system," said Ouellette. "I think the tech sector represents almost half of the workforce and they've got a very good system where universities, colleges and government research facilities are very well-aligned. They each know what their role is and work together so they basically become almost a production facility in terms of minds, moving those minds out into the community to start up businesses and keeping the economy very robust and growing."

Eric Pelletier, Enterprise Greater Moncton's manager of investment attraction, also participated in the Oulu mission. He believes it was a great first step toward a brighter economic future for Moncton and all of New Brunswick.

"What we saw there was really a great model to base our efforts on and something to strive to," said Pelletier. "They're many years ahead of us but if we can parlay whatever we have here into the next generation of IT companies and the next generation of knowledge-based companies, I think it will be very positive for our region and New Brunswick as a whole."

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Oct 14, 2007 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 4:41 PM
Unregistered Loser

Speakin' of coffee, does Moncton have any Java Moose locations? I prefer it to Timmies or Starklucks.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Speakin' of coffee, does Moncton have any Java Moose locations? I prefer it to Timmies or Starklucks.
No, Its bad, I like Java atmosphere. The Moncton version of Java could be Joe Moka, Coffee cognito or Tymothys of the world as well.

http://www.joemoka.com/splash.asp
http://www.cafecognito.ca/coffee.htm
http://www.timothys.ca/

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:12 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Good name for a coffee joint.

HalifaxMtl, thanks for posting that link. I'd never even heard of that (which I think is a pretty telling statement). If the city really wants to attract high-tech companies, it needs to be noticed. Honestly, the only times I can remember Moncton being on the national news in the past few years are when Eddy the Bum died, the 'hostage situation' on West Main two years ago, and the Rolling Stones show.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Good name for a coffee joint.

HalifaxMtl, thanks for posting that link. I'd never even heard of that (which I think is a pretty telling statement). If the city really wants to attract high-tech companies, it needs to be noticed. Honestly, the only times I can remember Moncton being on the national news in the past few years are when Eddy the Bum died, the 'hostage situation' on West Main two years ago, and the Rolling Stones show.
Obviously, you`re right. They need to create something like the "call-center boom" in mid-1990s. At that time, I was not in NB but I heard a lot on Mckenna and Moncton mainly about their strong politics to attracting jobs or the way they stole jobs to others provinces

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:32 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Obviously, you`re right. They need to create something like the "call-center boom" in mid-1990s. At that time, I was not in NB but I heard a lot on Mckenna and Moncton mainly about their strong politics to attracting jobs or the way they stole jobs to others provinces
He had a phone number called 1-800-MCKENNA potential investors and the like.

Just out of curiosity, are you from Montreal or Halifax?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 6:51 PM

Quote:
He had a phone number called 1-800-MCKENNA potential investors and the like.

Just out of curiosity, are you from Montreal or Halifax?
None of them, I grew up in a small town in Quebec close to NB border. However, I was born in Fredericton and I have spent much time out there in my childhood as well as my teenage

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Oct 15, 2007 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 4:21 PM

Opinion

Level of interest a positive sign

Published Monday October 15th, 2007
Appeared on page D6

With nine companies, five of them from outside the Moncton region, having submitted expressions of interest in building and operating a new $47 million Justice Centre in the city as a public-private partnership with the province, there can be little doubt that Premier Shawn Graham did the right thing in calling for proposals.

And there can be little doubt that the level of interest from large firms in Montreal, Halifax, Dartmouth, Toronto and Winnipeg is a concrete example of just how much Moncton has managed to put itself on the national map as a good place to invest. The city is being noticed, and in all the right ways.

The fact four local firms, three from Moncton and one from Shediac, have also submitted proposals is equally positive, a sign that our own entrepreneurs are capable of competing head-to-head with major players from across the country. And, while in any tendering process such as this the overall best proposal deserves the contract without regard to where the firm is headquartered, our local firms do intimately know the area, the province and its specific needs. And such competition, even if an outside firm is ultimately picked, helps sharpen their skills for the next opportunity.

It is to Premier Graham's credit that he recognized that this badly needed Justice Centre is a crucial project and once built will have to last and serve the community and southeast region for a long time. As such, it made sense to call for proposals and see how the province can get the best facility possible to meet the goal while still being cost conscious. It was also wise to leave the exact location (in general, downtown Moncton is the aim) flexible. This allows for proposals that may well be imaginative and workable that might otherwise have been ruled out due to location restrictions.

The fact nine firms have submitted means there is a wide-range of proposals to examine, a range of different visions on what will work best, and thus also a healthy array of options from which the province can choose. The process has worked and has maximized the possibilities and options. That can only be a healthy thing for the Justice Centre and the justice system itself.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 4:43 PM

Private ultrasound clinic coming to Moncton

October 15, 2007 - 9:34 am
By: Tara Clow - News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - An entertainment company that offers 3D and 4D ultrasounds to expectant moms, is planning to expand into Moncton.

UC Baby currently has locations right across the country, but there is only one in Atlantic Canada - in Halifax.

The ultrasound clinic hasn't chosen a firm location for the Hub City just yet, but according to Nursonographer Cathy Bethune, the plan is to start looking for a Moncton site in January, with the hopes of opening their doors in April or May.

Bethune says the clinic would most likely open 3 days a week to start, and then increase to 5 days.

About 15 per cent of the current clients at the Halifax Clinic, come from New Brunswick, but they also see moms from Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador.

UC Baby provides 3D or 4D ultrasounds, and will tell parents the gender of the unborn baby, if requested..

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:30 PM

Moncton development updates (outside Downtown)
  • BMW dealer is under construction along highway 2 by the airport area. (Like MylesMalley said above)
  • A new commercial site will be developed just in front of the new Mapleton Power center by Cordava realty.
  • A new Atlantic Mazda is also under construction just across BMW.
  • Hampton Inn first story is under way
  • The first plaza of the Mapleton Power center will get started soon.
  • Phamacie Jean Coutu in Dieppe soon to be completed
  • COOP Atlantic soon to be completed
  • Lawtons Drugs on mapleton soon to be completed
  • Peterbuilt New-Brunswick building is completed
  • Université de Moncton stadium is under construction
  • Motel 6 will get starded soon
  • Holiday Inn (Airport) building is completed
  • A brand new Electronic advertising system is in operation on the Mapleton road.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Oct 15, 2007 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:40 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Thats a good editorial.

Just what, exactly, is 4D?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Thats a good editorial.

Just what, exactly, is 4D?
I suppose 4D provides better views than 3D

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Oct 15, 2007 at 8:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces