HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 10:09 PM

New Horizon Church International decides to sell shopping center on Ellis Avenue

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A well-known church is selling its shopping center, where it has been located since 2009.

Bishop Ronnie Crudup confirmed to 3 On Your Side Thursday night that they will sell the shopping center where New Horizon Church International holds services. It is located on Ellis Avenue.

Bishop Crudup says the church plans to buy Wingfield High School once Jackson Public Schools goes through with the consolidation process and a price is in place.

On Friday, JPS released the following statement regarding the possible future sale of Wingfield High School.

“While Jackson Public Schools is excited that there is interest in Wingfield High School, specific proposals related to any properties have yet to be introduced, evaluated, or approved. We remain dedicated to the fair, equitable, and transparent repurposing of all our closed facilities.”

Jackson Public Schools
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/03/new-...enue/?tbref=hp

More coverage of the news
Video Link
Electric-autonomous shuttle buses coming to Mississippi State University this fall

Quote:
Mississippi State University is preparing to introduce an electric-autonomous passenger shuttle system to campus and the community this fall.

With deployment by Beep, Inc., a leading provider of autonomous and electric shared mobility solutions, the system will be the first of its kind in the Magnolia State as well as the Southeastern Conference.

Two shuttles, each seating up to 11 passengers, including an attendant, are slated to be available for riders come September as part of a pilot project to evaluate how the autonomous vehicles complement other modes of campus transportation. Two routes are planned to shuttle students between the core of campus, key housing points, and popular entertainment destinations.

“We are excited to announce this special project which is going through several layers of approval, including the Mississippi Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,” Jeremiah Dumas, MSU executive director of transportation, said. “Safety is the highest priority, as it is with any method of transportation.”

The vehicles will not be allowed to operate on roads signed at more than 25 mph and are equipped with AI-enabled remote human supervision and self-governance. Although they will be self-driving, each shuttle will have a full-time attendant on board.

“This trained staff member can operate the vehicle and assist passengers when needed and serve as an ambassador to provide information. Similar vehicles have been in use at Yellowstone, in the Orlando, Florida metropolitan area, and near the Braves Stadium in Atlanta, at the Honolulu airport and beyond,” Dumas said. “Everywhere they’re deployed, people love them.”

In addition to piloting how the vehicles meet campus needs, the program will also gather information and research data informing transportation planning in rural-urban environments.

The university contracted with Beep this past December and is conducting the development phase of the pilot program this spring, mapping and creating three-dimensional scans of routes in preparation for the fall deployment. The process includes identifying parking and charging locations and determining routes and stop locations. Beep currently uses lidar technology, which utilizes light detection and ranging for precise measurements, to finalize required digital maps.

Beep will provide autonomous mobility solutions, services, and electric vehicles to MSU throughout the tentative pilot period of Sept. 1-Nov. 30.

MSU officials hope this will open the door for the university to partner with other institutions to form a research consortium and expand the study period to further test the use of autonomous vehicles in rural-urban settings.
https://www.supertalk.fm/electric-au...ate-this-fall/
State approves $160M to expand Highway 7 to four lanes in Lafayette County

Quote:
State lawmakers have approved $160 million to go toward widening Highway 7 to four lanes in one of the fastest-growing regions of the state.

According to Oxford Mayor Robyn Tannehill, the investment paired with an additional $15M appropriated in 2023 will allow for the additional lanes on Highway 7 South from the Belk Boulevard intersection to the Highway7/9 roundabout.

The funding was made available by the unanimous passage of House Bill 1826 on Friday. Tannehill said residents and leaders in Lafayette County have called for this expansion for decades.

“For 25 years, city and county officials have lobbied our state and federal officials to provide funding for the widening of Highway 7. For 25 years, there have been traffic studies, accident reports, loved ones lost, tragedy after tragedy, begging and pleading for help,” Tannehill wrote on Facebook. “For 25 years we’ve waited. THE WAIT IS OVER!! (Not really…it’ll take a minute…but we are on our way!)”

Quote:
Robyn Tannehill for Mayor of Oxford
1d ·
$160,000,000 SECURED FOR HIGHWAY 7 WIDENING
This landmark investment of $160M along with $15M appropriated in 2023 will allow for the four-laning of Highway 7 South from the Highway 7 – Belk Boulevard intersection to the Highway7/9 roundabout.
For 25 years, citizens of Oxford and Lafayette County have recognized the need for Highway 7 to be expanded to four-lanes. For 25 years, city and county officials have lobbied our state and federal officials to provide funding for the widening of Highway 7. For 25 years, there have been traffic studies, accident reports, loved ones lost, tragedy after tragedy, begging and pleading for help. For 25 years we’ve waited.
THE WAIT IS OVER!! (Not really…it’ll take a minute…but we are on our way!)
Lafayette County is the fastest growing county in the State of Mississippi percentage wise. The City of Oxford has grown 102% since 2000 and is projected to grow another 24% by 2030. Thousands of people come into Lafayette County and Oxford every single day to work and visit. And, thousands of those people arrive via Highway 7. Highway 7 is a road of opportunity connecting people to jobs, healthcare and educational opportunities.
State and local leaders have worked collectively to improve and enhance the Highway 7 corridor. This success is the greatest example of teamwork our community has experienced. We are so blessed to be in a community where the City, County, State and University leaders all work together.
There have been many who came before us and carried the flag but this crew sealed the deal. Senator Nicole Boyd and Representative Clay Deweese have carried the ball across the line along with all of our Lafayette County Representatives – Huge SPECIAL THANKS to Representative Steve Massengill (Chair of the House Transportation Committee), and to Representative Trey Lamar, Representative Josh Hawkins, Representative Kevin Horan, Representative Andy Stepp, and Representative John Faulkner, Senator Ben Suber and Senator Neil Whaley. And, thank you to Speaker Jason White, Lt. Governor Delbert Hosemann, Senate Transportation Chair Jennifer Branning, and MDOT Director Brad White. TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK!
When we told Lt. Gov. Hosemann three years ago about our grave concerns, we invited him to come watch for himself. He met us at NMRC at 4:45 one afternoon to watch the disaster that is Highway 7 at rush hour! We got his attention. And, we kept on telling the story. And, our state leaders did not quit.
This was my top transportation infrastructure priority when I was elected in 2017. The city and county have worked diligently for so many years towards this goal. We knew that it would only happen with a coordinated effort and partnership with our state leaders. We did it! We finally did it! And, I am so grateful.
#WeGetToLiveHere
#StrongerTogether
https://www.facebook.com/robynforald...ref=embed_post
Lafayette County is the fastest-growing county in Mississippi percentage-wise, according to the mayor. The city of Oxford has grown 102% since 2000 and is projected to grow another 24% by 2030, making renovations to Highway 7 essential for those in the region.

To help secure the funding to create additional lanes on the highway, Tannehill invited state lawmakers, including Lt. Governor Delbert Hosemann, to visit and witness a busy portion of the highway during rush hour traffic. The mayor contends that she was able to capture the attention of the movers and shakers at the capitol to see the project through.

“This was my top transportation infrastructure priority when I was elected in 2017,” Tannehill continued. “The city and county have worked diligently for so many years towards this goal. We knew that it would only happen with a coordinated effort and partnership with our state leaders. We did it! We finally did it! And, I am so grateful.”
https://www.supertalk.fm/state-appro...ayette-county/

Last edited by vetteking; May 4, 2024 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 9:14 PM

Happy Cinco de Mayo Mississippians!

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 9:35 PM

Please open Chuy's in Downtown Jackson

Mr. Steve Hislop, Mr. Jon Howie, and Mr. Michael Hatcher, I ask that you please open a Chuy's restaurant in Downtown Jackson. Our community would support as there are not many Tex-Mex restaurants in the area. The perfect location would be near Farish Street or somewhere close to the Business district. Please invest in our community as our downtown is in dire need of a restaurant that would bring people from all over into the city. The suburbs are nice, but we need successful companies within Jackson, Mississippi city limits. Jackson can be a tourist destination and I believe having a Chuy's downtown will help the city draw tourist. A lot of people may have something negative to say about Jackson, but I say why not Jackson. Those negative stereotypes couldn't be farther from the truth. Our community has historical been disinvested because of the growth of the suburbs. I believe if you invest in our community, we will always remember and will return the favor x10. One day I hope we have restaurants downtown of all international cuisines. I hope this plea makes it to you (Chuy's) and you consider our city as your next location. I promise you won't regret it. If you are unfamiliar with Chuy's restaurant's menu here is some of their food from Twitter:

Check out their restaurants if you are near one. They are amazing and the atmosphere in their restaurants are unmatched. It's a huge deal to have a Chuy's in your city!!

Last edited by vetteking; May 5, 2024 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 2:10 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Love me some Chuy's!!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Love me some Chuy's!!
Me too! What's your favorite thing on their menu & have you been to Jackson before?

Last edited by vetteking; May 6, 2024 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 6:51 PM

Bill to fund JSU's domed stadium dies (This is from 2013 but I wanted to post the renderings so those who may not have known about it can see)

Quote:
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - Jackson State University has unveiled plans to build a $200 million, 50,000-seat stadium on its campus, but funding for the project isn't set in stone.

JSU Vice President David Hoard said Wednesday the university is waiting for the Mississippi legislature to approve $75 million for the project and the remaining funds would come from private entities. However, House Bill 1702 -- a bond bill to fund the domed stadium -- died in committee Wednesday.

Hoard called the announcement a game changer for the city of Jackson, but plans to use tax dollars to fund the project have received mixed reviews from the public.

"After looking at JSU attendance numbers. I don't understand the 50,000 seats. I think it should probably be around 20,000," said Bo Bounds, host of the Out of Bounds Show on ESPN 105.9.

Bounds said his phone lines lit up on the stadium issue, with support on both sides.

"I think taxpayers can see the big picture if it's multipurpose and done right. But the 50,000 -- there's not a demand for 50,000," Bounds said.

Jackson State officials say there will be a demand with the school's enrollment growth plan. Officials also say the price tag on the stadium is low compared to others its size, and that it could draw big entertainment and sporting events to Jackson.

"We see this as an investment for the city, county, and region and the economic impact will be dramatic," Hoard said.

The stadium would be the first of its kind for any university. It would seat 50,000 people for football and 22,000 for basketball.

SMG, the group that operates the Superdome in New Orleans, would manage the stadium.
https://www.wlbt.com/story/21417995/...domed-stadium/

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 10:07 PM

$9.4M in state funds could soon benefit projects in Jackson

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A bill on its way to Gov. Tate Reeves’ desk includes more than $9.4 million in appropriations for projects in the capital city, including $2 million to renovate and redevelop Jackson’s Union Station.

Last week, lawmakers approved a conference report for S.B. 2468, the annual appropriations bill.

The legislation includes more than $820 million in expenditures, including $227.3 million for local projects, $110 million for capital improvements for the Institutions of Higher Learning, and $45 million for community college capital improvements.

The bill also includes millions of dollars for public projects in Jackson, with the funds split between the city, the Jackson Redevelopment Authority, Hinds County, the Mississippi Department of Transportation, and the Capitol Complex Improvement District.

Of those earmarks, $2 million is going to JRA to redevelop Union Station, $1 million is going toward renovations at Thalia Mara Hall, and $1.5 million is going to Hinds County for infrastructure improvements in District 1.

“We had a lot of good help from the Legislature for my district through the CCID and appropriations,” District 25 Sen. Walter Michel said.

He pointed to the $600,000 allocation going to Hinds County to repave Northside Drive east of I-55, as well as the $395,136 allocation going to infrastructure improvements along Druid Hill Drive.

The street connects. St. Richard Catholic Church and Catholic School to the former Meadowbrook Church of Christ, which the school recently purchased. He said the funds will go toward repairing the street and adding a sidewalk to allow students, teachers, and others to walk back and forth between the two campuses.

“St. Richard has made a good commitment to the area, so the least we can do is get them a good sidewalk to walk up and down,” he said.

A list of the appropriations is shown below:

$1 million - Jackson Redevelopment Authority, for renovations and upgrades to Union Station
$1 million - JRA, for redevelopment of Union Station
$250,000 - City of Jackson, to remove blighted property on U.S. 80 and south of U.S. 80
$1 million - City of Jackson, to renovate/repair/upgrade Thalia Mara Hall
$600,000 - MDOT, for improvements to I-55 between Elton Road and Terry Road
$1.5 million - Capitol Complex Improvement District, for improvements to major thoroughfares to Jackson State University
$250,000 - CCID, for costs associated with connecting Museum Trail to JSU
$400,000 - CCID, for repair, mill/overlay of Simwood Place
$395,136 - CCID, for infrastructure improvements along Druid Hill Drive
$500,000 - Hinds County, for purchasing body cameras, vehicles for the Sheriff’s Department
$600,000 - Hinds County, for resurfacing Northside Drive east of I-55
$1.5 million - Hinds County, for infrastructure improvements in District 1
$50,000 - Hinds County, for solar-powered community surveillance programs in five neighborhoods
$400,000 - Hinds County, for repaving Hanging Moss Road and Beasley Road
The amounts listed do not include allocations to other municipalities in Hinds County, nor do they include the $23 million allocated for building repairs at Jackson State.

Hinds County Sheriff Tyree Jones expressed his “heartfelt gratitude” to state lawmakers and the Hinds County delegation for the appropriation.

“This generous allocation will greatly benefit our department by enabling us to enhance our technology infrastructure and acquire much-needed new vehicles,” he wrote. “Your commitment to public safety and dedication to serving our community is truly commendable.”

Quote:
Tyree Jones, Sheriff of Hinds County
56m ·
Hinds County Sheriff’s Office to receive $500k for technology and the purchase of new vehicles from the the State of Mississippi Legislative Session 2024. See the below letter showing gratitude for the commitment to public safety in Hinds County.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...15371390889403
JRA Executive Director Christopher Pike says he also appreciates the state’s investment, outlining some of the plans his agency has for Union Station.

“One of the things that the JRA board has been committed to is making sure that Union Station is an asset, not only for the community but also for the city and JRA,” he said. “We look to make Union Station a hub of activity here in the next 12 to 18 months.”

Pike says Union Station is part of JRA’s “Transit-Oriented Master Plan,” which will include making multiple improvements within the three-quarter-mile radius surrounding the public transportation hub.

He said JRA also talking with potential tenants about relocating to the facility, adding that the JRA Board of Commissioners recently voted to move JRA headquarters there.

“So, JRA is making an investment into Union Station based on these other investments that are coming,” he said.

Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba, meanwhile, says the city also has been in talks about “carving out some space for cooperative enterprise incubation” within Union Station.

“That’s something I’ve spoken about for many years now, and so we want to bring that into fruition,” he said. “We recognize Jackson isn’t a city that has a problem producing wealth. It’s a city that has a problem maintaining wealth.”

Lumumba also says renovations at the facility are needed, citing recent talks about the creation of a new rail line running from Atlanta to Dallas.

“If you think about that, what is dead smack in the middle? Jackson, Mississippi. When we talk about the centrality, the convenience of Jackson, the fact that we’re the crossroads of the South... You would have an intersection of a rail that goes from New Orleans... to Chicago, and that would be connected by another rail that goes from Atlanta to Dallas,” he said. “So, we need to prepare for the future.”

Before the funding is official, the bill still must be signed by Gov. Tate Reeves.

Last year, Reeves used a line-item veto to reject funding several Jackson projects, including a $2 million allocation to renovate the Russell C. Davis Planetarium.

We have reached out to the Governor’s Office for comment and are waiting to hear back.
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/06/94m-...jects-jackson/
Residents and business owners say abandoned Hotel O is hurting their community

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Residents and business owners near Hotel O along I-55 are hoping to get the Jackson Police Department’s attention to keep their community from falling victim to violence.

Less than a mile from McWillie Elementary School and half a mile from Chastain Middle School sits the abandoned Hotel O and nearly empty Hotel Oyo along I-55.

“Young kids are getting out of school, and they’re walking around. Then you have individuals here that are loitering, that are also addicted to heavy drugs,” neighborhood resident Lisa Foster explained.

“There are children that have to walk down to that apartment complex down there. So this is becoming to be a concern,” Vivian Jones said.

James and Vivian Jones own the strip mall between the middle school and the hotels. They say those in the area are falling victim to criminal activities.

“We actually bought this property about four years ago as an investment. We know Jackson is on its way up. The hotel, as well as the area, you know, it’s kind of deteriorating, Jones explained. “Last time I saw a Waffle House closed down was in South Jackson, and that area is now gone. So I just don’t want this to happen where we’ve saved that money. You know, invested our generational wealth.”

Residents say because of the homeless population, drug trafficking, and more illicit activities in the area, it’s pushing people away, creating an even bigger problem.

“I have two children, six and four. I want to bring them here to show them where Mommy goes to school, and I can’t. I’m so scared to bring them here and I shouldn’t,” Sandra Caldwell, who attends Jackson State University, said.

Ward 3 Councilman Kenneth Stokes says he believes giving Jackson Police Chief Joseph Wade a contract could help get more vagrants away from businesses and help improve the standard of life in the community.

“You can’t tell me that he cannot get people who are just trespassing in hotels and other places in this community. He does not know what to do. But if we give him a contract, like some of you have a contract, he can’t be fired,” Stokes explained.

“It’s not nothing that the system that we have in place should already be doing. We are trying to figure out why the system is clogged,” neighborhood resident Bennie Foster said.

Councilman Stokes says he will bring his proposed contract to the next city council meeting.
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/06/resi...eir-community/
NOT INTERESTED--FORMER MUNICIPAL LIBRARY BUILDING NOT AN OPTION FOR BECOMING NEXT LOCATION FOR WELTY LIBRARY

Quote:
The idea of the former Jackson Municipal Library building once again being used as a library keeps coming up as the Jackson-Hinds Library System Board searches for a new downtown location. The Mississippi Baptist Convention Board purchased the Jackson Municipal Library property at 301 North State Street in late 2008 from Ted Duckworth, who bought the dilapidated building from the city...
https://www.northsidesun.com/not-int...?e_term_id=120

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:57 AM

Money-saving proposal to consolidate some Hinds Co. offices falls flat after supervisors move $400k to repair leaking courthouse instead

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A proposal by one Hinds County supervisor to cut back on how many county offices lease space downtown, which would save taxpayer dollars instead, got rewritten during Monday’s board meeting, funneling $400,000 in renovation efforts to the county’s aging courthouse instead.

The Hinds County courthouse, which houses circuit, county, and justice courtrooms, has been plagued with roof leaks, causing puddles and mildew in several of these public spaces.

District 2 Supervisor Anthony Smith proposed approving a contractor to renovate the old military building on North State Street, so other agencies like the election commission and economic development office could work there instead of paying high rent where they are.

Smith said the election commission pays more than $7,000 monthly to lease property on Commerce Street and the economic development office in Capital Towers pays what he calls is “an astronomical amount of money a month.”

His motion to use $400,000 for that effort was instead changed to support repairs for the courthouse, spearheaded by District 3 Supervisor Deborah Dixon.

“We had an opportunity to change things [and] to put more money back into Hinds County. For personal reasons — I don’t know why, but I think it’s personal. I’m sad to say that Dixon wanted to rescind that money,” Smith said. “She’s thinking more of herself and her about her office, but it’s not about her.”

District 1 Supervisor Robert Graham, who also serves as the board’s president, did not directly address Smith’s claims, instead saying it would be inappropriate to comment on personnel matters with the board.

“We have a lot of different issues in Hinds County. But we’re working on those issues. We’re working on those issues together. From time to time, there’s always going to be disagreement on this board and every other board. But I’m pleased with the way in the direction that we’re going at this particular point,” Graham said.

Graham said the military building is an empty, unused county property, whereas the courthouse is used constantly.

“What we’re dedicating our money to, or delegating our money to, is the courthouse and we want to make sure that when people go to our historical courtroom, that they’re not having to go past mold and mildew. They’re not having water being captured in buckets,” Graham said. “It’s in bad shape.”

Last year, former supervisor Vern Gavin proposed using money to fix the military building, which would house some county offices, but it’s unclear how far those efforts got.

The building ended up being used as a voting precinct for the last few elections.
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/07/mone...house-instead/
Madison County Supervisors look into 10-year plan to improve 15 major roads

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Those of you who live or plan to live in Madison County have a “smooth road ahead” now that supervisors are looking into funding 15 different road projects over the next several years.

It’s no surprise that more and more people move to Madison County each year, but with more people comes more traffic.

“You heard Commissioner Simmons talk about capacity projects and plans for Madison County. Well, I don’t know of a clear plan than putting it on a map and putting it out to the public,” Greg Higginbotham explained.

County Administrator Greg Higginbotham proposed not just one road plan, but 15 that he believes the county can complete within 10 years.

On the west side of the county, projects include:

The intersection of Stribling Road and Catlett Road
Widening of Catlett Road
Reunion Parkway Project
Widening all of Bozeman Road
Widening Stribling Road from Caroline Blvd to HWY 463
Calhoun Station Parkway
West County Line Road
Wheatley Street
On the east side of the county, projects include:

Widening Weisenberger Road
The intersection of Old Canton and Yandell Road
Widening all of Yandell Road from HWY 51 to HWY 43

“These projects are not cheap. These projects are not going to happen overnight. Y’all have seen with Reunion II, Reunion III, Bozeman I, and Bozeman II that these things do take time. Between now and probably 2034 was when I would expect the end of the borrowing to happen,” Higginbotham explained.

But how much will it cost? Leaders say the price tag would be a quarter of a billion dollars using federal funds and your tax dollars.

“To pay for this, there will be no new taxes, we’re not counting eggs before they’re hatched. We have money to pay for this as we sit. We’re not getting in over our heads all in one thing. So, if something does change with the economy severely, we can continue to pay for what we’ve already done and stretch it out if we need to,” Supervisor for District 1, Casey Brannon, said.

The Board voted unanimously to accept the 10-year plan and to allow Higginbotham to work with the county financial advisor to bring hard numbers back to the supervisors.

“It’s a lot of excitement and a lot of orange barrels that you’ll continue to see in Madison County,” Supervisor for District 3, Gerald Steen, said.

Higginbotham says he didn’t factor in any revenue the county is expected to gain from the new Amazon Web Service Data Center, so the road projects will not rely on that development.
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/07/madi...5-major-roads/
New parking kiosks installed in downtown Jackson
Video Link

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
If you're heading to downtown Jackson to do business, remember new parking meters are now active.

Advertisement
City leaders said the newly installed kiosks were activated on May 1. There will be about a two-week grace period, but the era of not paying to park downtown is over. Drivers will now have to use the touchscreen devices to key in their license plate number and swipe their credit card or feed the meter.

The city has been losing an untold amount of revenue because, for years, many broken or malfunctioning parker meters meant people didn’t have to worry about paying to park.

“This is simply something the city can’t afford to do — to allow parking to be free in downtown Jackson,” Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba said. “We do anticipate an adjustment, but we do want people to be aware that we will enforce it.”

According to city leaders, the new kiosk system installed by SP Plus will cover 800 parking meters in the downtown area. Initially, the parking rate will be $1 an hour. The company and the Jackson Police Department will play a role in the enforcement.
https://www.wapt.com/article/new-par...ckson/60703891
Mayflower Café has a new owner, and you might recognize him
Video Link

Hunter Evans, of Elvie’s, taking over Jackson staple
Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
A Jackson restaurant that has been in business for close to a century has a new owner.

Mayflower Café’s previous owner, Jerry Kountouris, retired on April 20 after 34 years at the helm. The restaurant teased then that it would remain open, but with someone else steering the ship. We now know who that someone is: Hunter Evans, chef and owner of Elvie’s.

Evans has been nominated twice for a James Beard Award and is currently a finalist for Best Chef in the South.

"For me, I always joked that I wanted Elvie's to become the next 100-year-old restaurant," Evans said. "I was always drawn to Jackson's downtown and very saddened the way it's kind of, the state it's in now, so hopefully this will create a spark."

The Mayflower on West Capitol Street is closed for a little renovation, but Evans and his business partner, Cody McCain, plan to reopen in July. The new owners, who are both from Jackson, plan to keep the Mayflower staff in place.

Quote:
Elvie's
6d ·
Delightfully updated and coming soon from our team here at Elvie’s! April 20th was the last night of service under the long time family ownership of the Kountouris family. Here’s to many, many more years of Mayflower Cafe to come
Shull Design with the amazing branding and design

https://www.facebook.com/ElviesResta...ref=embed_post
"It seems like every other person who talked about this told a story that they had growing up. Their parents brought them here. Now they eat here, now they bring their kids here to eat," McCain said. "It's very cool to see three generations of people that have eaten here. It's a very special place and we wanted to be part of that and to keep that going in the future."

The announcement was made Tuesday on Elvie’s Facebook page, along with a glimpse of the new Mayflower branding and design.

Evans plans to freshen up the interior and the menu, while keeping it the same as much as possible.
https://www.wapt.com/article/mississ...of%20Elvie%27s.
New Chicken Salad Chick set to open in Jackson area. See where

Quote:
A new Chicken Salad Chick is set to open in the Renaissance at Colony Park on Tuesday.

Chicken Salad Chick announced in a Facebook and an Instagram post: "We are excited to share that Chicken Salad Chick is opening at Renaissance at Colony Park on May 7th at 10:30 a.m."

The new location will feature an outdoor patio and is the latest addition to the Chicken Salad Chick portfolio in Mississippi is the fourth venture by local entrepreneurs Blake and Shae Fuller. Since launching their first restaurant in Flowood in 2018, the husband-and-wife team have expanded their operations to include locations in Madison, Hattiesburg, and now Ridgeland. They plan to continue expanding the Chicken Salad Chick presence throughout Mississippi according to a press release.

"We are so honored and excited to be opening at the Renaissance," said Shae Fuller, owner of Chicken Salad Chick, in an interview with the Clarion Ledger. "We are definitely anticipating a large crowd, some people even started lining up outside our other locations at midnight the night before opening, so we're expecting the same turnout for our Renaissance location."

Earlier this month, Chicken Salad Chick opened its first New Mexico location, and as part of opening celebrations, the new Chicken Salad Chick venue in Ridgeland will offer free chicken salad to the first 100 guest but the very first guest will get free chicken salad every week for a year and then a pound of chicken salad for a month, owners said.

Quote:
Renaissance at Colony Park is at Renaissance at Colony Park.
April 11 at 9:54 PM · Ridgeland ·
We are excited to share that Chicken Salad Chick is opening at Renaissance at Colony Park on May 7th at 10:30 am!
They’ve planned a week of giveaways as part of their Grand Opening Celebration!
Click here to view all the giveaway details for the Grand Opening Celebration

https://www.facebook.com/Renaissance...ref=embed_post
The Fullers plan to continue expanding the Chicken Salad Chick franchise throughout Mississippi.

If you go

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...s/73586540007/

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:53 PM

Focused on Mississippi: Hall of Fame Restaurant
Video Link

Quote:
YAZOO COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) – If you drive Highway 49 between Yazoo City and Bentonia, you’ve probably noticed the small, unpainted building on the east side of the highway at Little Yazoo.

The unimposing establishment is the Hall of Fame Restaurant. It’s been around for several years. David Brown, who is the proprietor, started out serving only barbecue. It didn’t sell fast enough and he had a lot of leftovers.

“Then we ended up throwing away too much barbecue, because you can only keep it two days. So anything after that, we usually feed my dog,” Brown said.

To the dog’s disappointment, Brown switched over to hamburgers, and there has been very little leftovers to feed them since then.

The name of the restaurant came from Brown’s brother, Willie Brown, who played for the Denver Broncos and the Oakland Raiders. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1984. Willie has a burger named for him.

“The Willie Brown is the thin fried onion rings on top. It’s the best burger going. That’s the most popular one is the Willie Brown. Or if you’re real hungry, you can get the Jerry Rice. It’s got three patties on it,” said Brown.

They also have the Eli Manning burger and the Peyton Manning burger.

The burgers could be induced into the Burger Hall of Fame on their own. They’re endorsed by seasoned burger eaters.

Head of the kitchen Hazel Davis doesn’t have a secret recipe, but she does have a special ingredient.

“Hazel says she cooks them with love,” said one customer.
That may be the secret to anything in life. Whatever it is, do it with love.

Since the coronavirus pandemic, the Hall of Fame Restaurant only does call-ins and drive-thru.
https://www.wjtv.com/living-local/fo...me-restaurant/

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 6:33 PM

Three JSU art students gain real-world experience, partner with Visit JXN for JXN restaurant rebranding collaboration

(L-R) Mark Geil, interim chair for JSU's Department of Art, with graphic design students Ashanti Stiff, Michael Brown, and Tyler Tremble in front of Sugar's Place downtown Jackson. Stiff created the logo and redesign for Sugar's Place. (William H. Kelly III/Jackson State University)
Quote:
(JACKSON, Miss.) – Jackson State University’s (JSU) Department of Art and Visit Jackson announced a partnership with local restaurants in Jackson, Mississippi, at a press conference on March 1. Three JSU graphic design students created new logos, signage, and other marketing material for three “City with Soul” restaurants.

The announcement was held at Sugar’s Place located in downtown Jackson and simultaneously kicked off the final day of the inaugural JXN Restaurant Week, hosted by Visit Jackson.

“It was an incredible opportunity for our students to gain real-world experience. It’s so vital for graphic design students to have examples of real graphic design that actually lives in the world. It’s so significant,” said Mark Geil, interim chair for the Department of Art at JSU.

Students were introduced to the opportunity by JSU alumnus Reshonda Perryman, who formerly served as an adjunct professor in JSU’s Department of Art and is the current director of branding and creative engagement for Visit Jackson. As a professor, Perryman said she challenged her class of 16 to engage in a branding refresh to help elevate local restaurants but, most importantly, provide them with a chance to enhance their portfolios and prepare them for the workforce.

Designed by Tyler Tremble, a junior graphic design major in Jackson State University’s Department of Art.

After submitting proposals for review, Ashanti Stiff, Tyler Tremble, and Michael Brown were the students chosen as designers. Stiff, a junior, created branding for Sugar’s Place, while Tremble, a junior, and Brown, a senior, designed for Bully’s Soul Food Restaurant and Taste of the Island, respectively.

“I didn’t think I’d get the opportunity to be able to design something like that for a restaurant. I was proud of myself. It didn’t take me a long time, but it was a good journey getting to the end product, and it helped me learn so much,” said Brown, who is from LaPlace, Louisiana.

Stiff, a Jackson, Mississippi, native was excited for the opportunity to display the skills honed at JSU.

“As a graphic design major, you have to have the experience that tells people that, ‘Yes, I have the skill to be able to do this thing.’ And it separates you from everyone else, too, who may not have that same experience,” Stiff said. “I didn’t expect to actually see it on a building and such, so it was very exciting for me.”

Designed by Ashanti Stiff, a junior graphic design major in Jackson State University’s Department of Art.

Each designer met with their respective clients for consulting, brand updates, sketches, and more, ultimately translating an idea into something tangible for others to enjoy.

Glenda Barner, owner of Sugar’s Place, said she is delighted by the new design.

“It feels great, and to have this gift from Visit Jackson and Jackson State, we don’t have to pay for it. We’ll pay it forward to someone else…,” said Barner. “We just were so excited to have that collaboration with Ashanti and the other students who presented their designs. It meant a whole lot. Anything we can do to uplift our youth, it’s incumbent upon us to do that.”

This ongoing project and partnership promises to bring fresh energy and creativity to Jackson’s culinary scene. Signage and other marketing materials were sponsored by Visit Jackson.

Tremble said that he was originally interested in studying to be a veterinarian. However, his parents encouraged him to pursue a field of study that he would enjoy every day and have fun, which led him to graphic design.

“Now I have this piece to put in my portfolio. When people look at me, they can actually look up Bully’s and know that I did this in real life,” said Tremble, an Atlanta native.

Geil expressed pride for his students.

“I know this experience is going to really help their careers as they leave JSU. It’s going to speak about them forever,” Geil said.

(L-R) Mark Geil, interim chair for JSU’s Department of Art, with Reshonda Perryman, director of branding and creative engagement for Visit Jackson, Glenda Barner, owner of Sugar’s Place, and graphic design students Ashanti Stiff and Tyler Tremble in front of Sugar’s Place downtown Jackson. (William H. Kelly III/Jackson State University)
https://www.jsumsnews.com/three-jsu-...collaboration/
JSU’s Office of Community Development shines bright in 9th Crop Drop, serving hundreds in need

First Lady Latoya Thompson connects warmly with JSU students during the Crop Drop '24 event, where they shared smiles and distributed fresh bags of sweet potatoes to the community. (Charles A. Smith/University Communications)
Quote:
(JACKSON, Miss.)—On Saturday, March 23, nearly 30 students from Jackson State University dedicated their time to supporting their local community through its JSU Crop Drop event. Now in its ninth iteration, this initiative successfully distributed food supplies, including 1,000 bags of sweet potatoes, 500 bags of collard greens, and 1,000 cases of water, providing critical aid to those in need.

Latoya Thompson joined JSU students and other volunteers as they shared smiles and distributed fresh bags of sweet potatoes to the community. (Charles A. Smith/University Communications)

JSU’s First Lady, Latoya Thompson, praised the students, noting, “I enjoyed seeing the students’ enthusiasm as they fellowshipped with each other and served the community. Being part of JSU, a school prioritizing giving back and fostering a sense of responsibility in its students, makes me incredibly proud.”

Heather Denne’ showcases fresh produce from a community garden with pride. (Charles A. Smith/University Communications)

Heather Denne’, director of the Office of Community Development, echoed this sentiment, emphasizing the dual benefits of Crop Drop. “It is a win-win situation,” she stated. “The community receives much-needed groceries to help them through the month while our students gain community service hours, witness the community’s needs, and find fulfillment in being part of the solution.”

The West Jackson community members thank JSU student volunteers for their dedication and support. (Charles A. Smith/University Communications)

JSU students and volunteers teamed up to distribute produce to the hundreds of cars that participated in the Crop Drop event. (Charles A. Smith/University Communications)

Hundreds of cars lined Pearl Street, which was filled with residents ready to receive fresh produce. This bi-annual event has steadily grown in popularity, with many attendees marking their calendars for each Crop Drop and maintaining its popularity as a cherished community tradition.

Derykah Watts reflects on her favorite moment from Crop Drop ’24 of a resident walking up from her home to dance along at the event. (Aron Smith/University Communications)

Jackson native Melonie Henry shared her experience packing sweet potatoes, highlighting the communal effort. “While my focus was on packing potatoes, I was touched to see so many others coming out to support their neighbors,” she said. “It’s a reminder of the strong sense of community here and inspires me to do even more for the people around me.”

Derykah Watts lights up when sharing her enthusiasm for community service at Crop Drop. (Charles A. Smith/University Communications)

The event also provided valuable experience for students like Derykah Watts, a senior history major. “I’ve participated in the crop drop three times now, and I love it. It’s a great way to earn volunteer hours and give back to my community,” she said.

Denne’ envisions expanding the Crop Drop to become a cornerstone of JSU’s first-year orientation week, introducing incoming first-year students to the importance of community service. “I see this expanding and helping new students get a feel for community service. I’d love us to distribute watermelons and more freebies because who doesn’t love free stuff? We aim to grow this initiative,” she shared, outlining her hopes of impacting the future of the Jackson community.
https://www.jsumsnews.com/jsus-offic...dreds-in-need/

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 8:37 PM

Lot going on. Thanks for your hard work!

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Lot going on. Thanks for your hard work!
No thank you for viewing Dale. I try my best to keeps you updated on everything that's going on in the area. I'm glad you're keeping tabs on our community.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
No thank you for viewing Dale. I try my best to keeps you updated on everything that's going on in the area. I'm glad you're keeping tabs on our community.
And I appreciate your pride in your city.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:57 PM

UMMC TO IMPROVE WATER SUPPLY

Quote:
The University of Mississippi Medical Center took a first step toward the construction of a water distribution line across the city’s right-of-way in North State Street.

The medical center asked for a memorandum of understanding to allow for the construction of the distribution line across the city’s right-of-way in North State Street, and the Jackson City Council authorized during its April 23 meeting for the mayor to execute one.

Brian Reddoch, director of construction at UMMC, told the council he did not yet have a timeline for the project that includes adding a new water well, but the memorandum of understanding is a start.

The medical center needs additional water supply as a result of recent additions to facilities on the grounds of the main campus, according to city information.

The medical center does not have sufficient space on the property on its main campus to construct a new well and plans to construct the well on the west side of North State Street across from the main campus.

In order to connect the well to the main campus, UMMC will need to cross the city’s right-of-way in North State Street.

Several council members raised concerns about the project causing problems during football season for Jackson State University, which plays at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

Reddoch said the contractor for the project will have to shut work down on Thursday afternoon and make sure everything is safe should work fall during football season.

The project is estimated to take about a year because of the well being constructed, he said.

According to information provided by the city, the water distribution line will allow UMMC clinics in the building located at 764 Lakeland Drive to continue operating should there be an outage of the city’s water supply.
https://www.northsidesun.com/ummc-im...?e_term_id=120
UPDATE: U.S. 80 bridge repair underway in Rankin County

Quote:
JACKSON, MISS.---Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) officials are finalizing plans to repair several steel girders on the westbound U.S. 80 bridge over the KCS railroad between Marquette Rd. and Interstate 20 in Brandon.

Officials closed the inside lane of the bridge after discovering rusted steel girders during a recent bridge inspection. This repair process, from the design and fabrication to the installation, is expected to last approximately one month.

“Although the bridge is safe for travel, the inside westbound lane of the bridge is currently closed as a precautionary measure to reduce the load on the structure while allowing our crews to assess, design and complete the repair,” said Mississippi Transportation Commission Chairman Willie Simmons. “Rest assured, we are working to expedite this process and get the lane reopened as quickly as possible. We are also evaluating signal timings along the U.S. 80 corridor to minimize potential delays.”

Both the eastbound and westbound U.S. 80 bridges are scheduled to be let for replacement in late 2024 with work beginning spring 2025. The westbound U.S. 80 bridge was built in 1938, and the adjacent U.S. 80 eastbound concrete bridge was built in 1966. The U.S. 80 eastbound concrete bridge will not be impacted by the repair currently underway.

“Once the steel plates are fabricated and shipped, the repair process itself will not take long,” said Simmons. “Until then, please be patient, slow down and watch out for roadside crews at or near the bridge. Let’s give them the space to safely complete this critical work as quickly as possible.”

Officials anticipate reopening the inside lane of U.S. 80 westbound by early June 2024.
https://mdot.ms.gov/portal/news_release_view/1904
More coverage of the news
Video Link

Quote:
BRANDON, Miss. —
It’s hard to travel highways in the Jackson area without dodging or trying to avoid construction repair work, and there are a lot of projects underway.

On Highway 80 in Brandon, crews have been working overnight to repair the underside of a railroad crossing headed east. A support girder was rusted to the point of needing urgent repair. The Mississippi Department of Transportation is fabricating a new girder to replace it.

“I think it needs to be done. Some of the roads are in pretty bad shape,” said driver John Ray. “It’s a good thing they are tackling that job. I like the fact that they are doing it at night.”

The MDOT work is largely being done overnight to try to limit the impact on drivers. That’s also been the case with the Interstate 20 repaving work, the latest of which is where I-55 merges to I-20 east.

“The bumps are the biggest thing. To be driving that concrete, I’m used to driving on a little softer roads,” said driver Chris Bennett.

MDOT crews have been repaving sections of I-20, but that is actually a temporary fix.

“The project is going to go to the end of the summer, and we have added a part on the project. We will place a 1-inch overlay onto the removal they are doing there, which will make the riding surface a lot smoother for motorists, which will hold us over until we get to a more permanent fix,” said Michael Flood, with MDOT.

That permanent fix means MDOT does plan to come back and resurface the I-20 roadway again. The 1-inch overlay was an effort to lessen the impact on drivers while work crews scraped the road surface away and repaired foundation spots.

“This is more of a temporary fix, but we are hoping it will last years, not months,” Flood said. “We are planning to do a more permanent fix, but that is going to involve many closures over a long period of time.”

MDOT is still working on a timeline for the $14 million I-20 project. The temporary repaving should be done by the end of the summer. The Brandon bridge work job still has several more weeks to go.
https://www.wapt.com/article/mississ...eason/60735530
Madison County approves $16M plan to improve courthouse

Quote:
MADISON COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) – The Madison County Board of Supervisors approved a $16 million plan to improve the circuit courthouse.

The Madison County Journal reported there have been ongoing issues with the courthouse for years, including damage to a carpet and ceiling leaks.

Supervisors also considered building a new tax assessor/collector building and investing into the historic courthouse on the Canton Square.
https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...ve-courthouse/
Revell Ace Hardware Celebrates Grand Re-Opening

Quote:
Revell Ace Hardware is celebrating a grand re-opening at all Revell Ace Hardware locations.

America’s most celebrated “helpful place” is celebrating a grand re-opening at its Pearl, Clinton, Byram, Richland/Florence, Reservoir, Northeast Jackson, and Madison locations. Revell Ace Hardware brings the company’s unique blend of personal, knowledgeable, and helpful service, paired with quality products, to Central Mississippi residents.

“We are so excited about the Grand Re-Opening Sale and Celebration! We will be celebrating with doorbusters, grilling, vendors, demonstrations, giveaways, and lots of great deals! We are thrilled to be part of the community and look forward to continuing to serve our customers!” Joe Rooks.

All throughout the month of May customers can come into any Revell Ace Hardware location to enjoy the chance to win a variety of giveaways and take advantage of exclusive sales and offers. Then, from 5/23 to 5/25, the “Main Event,” Revell will be giving away a Big Green Egg grill package valued at over $1,000, a Milwaukee Power Tool package valued at over $400 and a Benjamin Moore “Paint a Room Makeover Kit” valued at over $200.

Revell Ace Hardware is dedicated to meeting the needs of the local community, offering the products and services customers have come to expect from them. They specialize in providing solutions to everyday maintenance needs as well as an extensive array of high-quality products in categories such as lawn and garden, electrical, grilling, hardware, plumbing, paint, and power equipment.

The stores are packed with thousands of essential products and supplies including some of the most respected brand names such as Big Green Egg, Blackstone, Traeger, Scotts, Weber, Milwaukee, Benjamin Moore, Stihl, Ego, Kress, Gravely and Scag.

Revell Ace Hardware hours of operation are Monday – Saturday 7:00 am – 6: 00 pm.
https://www.theclintoncourier.net/20...nd-re-opening/
Highway 80 in Clinton to undergo big changes

MDOT rendering of expected changes to Highway 80 from Clinton-Raymond Road in the west to near Hannah Drive on the east.
Quote:
Drivers in Clinton will have to get used to a new way of navigating U.S. Highway 80 once the Mississippi Department of Transportation completes a redesign of the highway to limit left turns off of the highway stretching from Clinton-Raymond Road on the west to Shaw Road on the east.

“Currently, you have a five-lane section on U.S. 80 with a continuous center left-turn lane,” notes Mark Thomas, state safety engineer with MDOT’s Division of Highway Safety.
“When you convert that to a boulevard, you take portions of that two-way left turn lane and put in a concrete median or raised islands, sometimes with landscaping to improve access management on that corridor,” says Thomas.

It means drivers on the 2.8-mile stretch of Highway 80 would able to turn left only at signalized intersections and certain median openings, which MDOT says were chosen based on traffic counts, design standards and additional factors. And those pulling out into traffic from parking lots would have to turn right—even if they want to go left.

“For the majority of locations that are not signalized intersections, the driver will judge the cars that are nearest to them, make a right, then go down [to the next traffic light or a left-turn lane where permitted] and make a U-turn to go back in the direction they may have been trying to travel,” Thomas says.

The goal is fewer vehicles turning across oncoming traffic to reduce the number of crashes.

Thomas says a lot is going through a driver’s mind when they’re trying to cross five lanes of traffic.

“Even if you’re just trying to go out [of a parking lot] and make a left, you’re having to evaluate the two lanes closest to you, if anybody is in the turn lane and then, obviously, [having to] evaluate the traffic that’s coming in the lanes you want to be in,” he says. “What we’re trying to do in its simplest form is to minimize the decisions people have to make.”

MDOT officials say that what they plan to do in Clinton is already working in Starkville. A similar redesign of State Highway 12 that began with a safety analysis in 2015 has paid off in an “incredibly beneficial” way, according to Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill.

Spruill admits there was some initial pushback from businesses concerned that the traffic restrictions might be a burden for their customers.

“I still get grumbling, but I don’t believe it took [the businesses] too long to recover from the changes, once their customers got used to the new routing,” she says.

Spruill says the impact on safety is undeniable.

“Our traffic accidents have decreased significantly, approximately thirty percent,” Spruill reports. “Those stats alone make it a positive change.”

She also says irrigating the median allowed for landscaping to be installed, “so that we could beautify the stretch of highway.”

That’s the look that Clinton Mayor Phil Fisher wants along Highway 80.

“We don’t want to have the concrete in the middle,” Fisher says. “We want to go with more of a ‘parkway’ look.’ I think it’s going to be a real beautiful asset to the city. Right now, Highway 80 looks like a road between two truck stops. This is going to turn it into something for people to enjoy.”

Fisher is hoping Clinton sees the same kind of reduction in traffic accidents that Starkville has.

“Taking out that ‘I-dare-you lane’ in the middle and the additional safety that brings is a lot [better] than set up like it is now.”

He says when the boulevard idea was first proposed about five years ago, business owners who were asked for their input didn’t voice any objections. The mayor believes customers will make the necessary adjustments.

“If you want to go to a particular store, you’re going to find a way to get there,” he says.

Thomas, the MDOT official, points to national studies showing little lasting impact on businesses located along highways undergoing such changes.

“Strong businesses that were there before these kinds of projects come in are there afterwards,” Thomas says. “I’ve seen that personally in Starkville.”

Mississippi College Chief Financial Officer Laura Jackson says she is happy that the preliminary concept for the Highway 80 project includes two roundabouts at the entrances to the new mixed-use development that’s being built across the highway from the campus.

“Our goal was to try to make sure that we could get pedestrians across Highway 80 safely and that we could slow the traffic down in that area,” Jackson says. “Well, the best way to accomplish slowing the traffic down is roundabouts. MDOT and all statistics that you can read will show you that high-impact collisions are less likely with roundabouts than they are with intersections.”

The pace of progress with the development currently known as the 80/20 Project will help dictate the timing of the work on Highway 80.

“I said from the very first meeting with [MDOT], when we started this conversation, what I don’t need is for us to have businesses that open, three, four years down the road and all of a sudden, a year later, you tear up Highway 80 in front of it,” Jackson recalls. “That’s not going to work.” But she says MDOT understands. “They’re very in tune to making sure that our project timelines somewhat align.”

The public was given an opportunity to get a look at the initial concept for the highway redesign at a meeting MDOT hosted at the Clinton Train Depot in early April.

Real estate agent Cindy Robertson attended the meeting and said a new-look for Highway 80 would be “progress” for Clinton.

“Personally, I like a turn lane,” says Robertson. “But I understand that turn lanes are hard as we grow as a city. I love the fact that we would put the green in and plant shrubbery. It would give the city a nicer look.”

Jeff Altman, an engineer manager for Neel-Schaffer, which is designing the project, says it’s currently in Phase A.

“Really, what you’re doing is just trying to get the overall scope of the project, doing public meetings and getting that input. Then, when we move into the next phase—which would be Phase B—that would be the actual design of the contract.”

Altman says they hope to be at that point this summer.

“Our schedule would take us through probably the end of the year, maybe the first of 2025 finishing this up,” Altman says. “And then, it would be up to MDOT.”

2024-04-09 – US 80 Project Layout 1
https://www.theclintoncourier.net/wp...-1-Reduced.pdf
2024-04-09 – US 80 Project Layout 2
https://www.theclintoncourier.net/wp...-2-Reduced.pdf

https://www.theclintoncourier.net/20...o-big-changes/

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 6:23 PM

Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership welcomes StateStreet Group

Quote:
Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership
21 hours ago
·
Congratulations to StateStreet Group, an award-winning leader in property management, for the official Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting of their newly acquired property, The Walthall Lofts and The Courthouse. These lofts were redeveloped in 2020 into luxury apartments, located at 225 East Capitol Street in Jackson. These two properties join a long list of SSG’s distinguished apartment communities in Jackson including The Quarter House, The Quarter Lofts, The Meridian and Vieux Carre. To learn more information about the availability at Walthall Lofts & The Courthouse, visit their website at walthalllofts.com
https://www.facebook.com/GreaterJack...AnQcVtgpZcaZpl
Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership spotlights Char - Jackson, MS

Quote:
Today’s Member Spotlight shines on Char - Jackson, MS! ✨
Char is a Southern-style steakhouse in Jackson, Mississippi offering brunch, lunch and dinner, a full bar & catering! Private dining rooms are available, perfect for every occasion from corporate meetings to seasonal celebrations! https://jackson.charrestaurant.com

https://www.facebook.com/GreaterJack...yj9BJAqcP68mWl

Here is a video of a Jacksonian shares why Char is one of their favorite restaurants in the city
Video Link
Rankin County Chamber spotlights Shivers Creek Fish House

Quote:
We know by your feedback that we're not the only ones who agree that Shivers Creek Fish House is by far the best catfish in Mississippi. We would say it's the Magnolia State's best kept secret, but it's no secret that the folks at Shivers make it a point not only to bring you food that tastes amazing, but also to give you the kind of customer service you expect from one of the best restaurants in the south.
Check out their hours and make a plan... is your mouth watering yet? Click here to see their hours at different locations!

https://www.shiverscreek.com/

https://www.facebook.com/DarkhorsePr...TigvR6eXcF4QGl

Last edited by vetteking; May 9, 2024 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:34 PM

Renovation projects underway in Downtown Jackson
Video Link

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Jacksonians will soon see a new look in parts of the downtown area. Multiple projects are underway as the capital city takes part in Economic Development Week.

Mississippi recently received nearly $5 million from several funding sources to go toward renovations.

Christopher Pike, executive director of the Jackson Redevelopment Authority, said the money is being put to a good use.

Jackson received an allotment of funding for renovations and upgrades to Union Station. Pike said the project will attract more people to Downtown Jackson and bring life back to Union Station and nearby businesses.

“It’s already a beautiful building. It just needs some TLC. And so, we’ll be investing a lot of money in system upgrades. We’ll be changing out all the lights to be fixtures. So, we’ll get some of that energy efficiency. Obviously, some new paint, some new landscape paint. I will be doing some ADA accessibility because that’s important, as well,” Pike stated.

There will be a community meeting at Union Station on Thursday, May 9 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...ntown-jackson/

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 4:28 PM

Happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful moms out there!

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 7:46 PM

JRA Chair: Seven businesses coming to Farish Street

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - The shuttered storefronts and empty structures that have come to characterize the historic Farish Street district could soon have new life.

Seven businesses recently committed to moving to the street’s 200 block as part of the first phase of revitalization efforts there, says Alex Lawson, chair of the Jackson Redevelopment Authority.

Lawson wouldn’t say what businesses are coming in, telling WLBT some legalities are still being worked out.

However, he gave the Jackson City Council a preview of what’s on tap during JRA’s budget presentation on Monday.

“We now have restaurants and bookstores and health and beauty stores, arts and culture and an architecture firm, all who have signed agreements to be on the street,” he said. “And I’m an extreme optimist. I’m still holding out hope that someone will be able to break ground this year, but at the very least, the top of next year.”

Lawson admits promises to revitalize Farish Street ring hollow with many.

A 2019 investigation conducted by WLBT and Mississippi Today showed that more than $11 million in taxpayer funds had been spent to revitalize the area in the last forty years but with little to no success.

“We talked to every banker, every politician, all the folks you can think of, and everyone has been burned by something... related to doing work on Farish Street,” he said. “We’ve learned from the lessons of the past, [and] we took a different approach this time.”
During segregation, Farish Street was a hub of economic and cultural activity for the African American community. But the area declined after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which empowered Black Jacksonians to visit areas where they were previously shut out.

Numerous studies were commissioned since 1980 to redevelop the area. In 1997, the focus shifted to turning Farish into an entertainment district. That’s when JRA began acquiring property to develop the district.

“We’re still looking for people who can bring an entertainment element to the street, but we’re not limiting ourselves to that effect,” Lawson said. “It will have more of a main street feel similar to what we found to be successful in other parts of the city.”

As for learning from past mistakes, Lawson said JRA is looking at redeveloping the corridor incrementally, rather than all at once.
The agency also is focusing on bringing on developers who won’t need public funding to make their projects a reality.

“Right now, 100 percent of them are looking at using private financing to move this forward,” he said. “They have a good bit of skin in the game in the way that some of the prior developers did not.”

An empty building in the 200 block of Farish Street.(WLBT)

JRA issued a request for proposals earlier this year to develop the 200 block, the stretch of Farish that runs between Amite and Griffith streets.

A second request also was issued to develop the “Soul City Market,” which would be located in a two-story building at the corner of Farish and Amite.

“We’re currently reviewing and considering the proposals that we’ve received for [that],” he said. “The third step would be the 300 block, but that RFP has not been issued.”

Lawson says JRA has yet to commit any public funding for projects but has not ruled out the idea.

“Whether that’s financial assistance or technical assistance, we’re still open to that,” he said. “But right now, we have not committed any major funding outside of the buildings, which we’re considering a mixture of selling some and leasing others.”

Restoring the buildings in the historic corridor will likely be one of the toughest tasks for developers. Many of the structures along Farish have been empty for years and have fallen into disrepair.

The interior of the building at Farish and Amite that could be transformed into the "Soul City Market."(WLBT)

“There are issues with roofs that need to be replaced. There are HVAC systems that need to be installed,” he said. “Just your typical work for buildings that have been vacant for a very long time.”
https://www.wlbt.com/2023/08/18/jra-...farish-street/
Accommodating Surging Regional Demand, VoidForm Products Opens New Jackson, MS Facility

Quote:

FORT WORTH, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--VoidForm Products, LLC, a leading national manufacturer of products that protect concrete structures from damage caused by soil expansion, just opened a new manufacturing facility in Jackson, Mississippi. Dozens of new area jobs will result.

Addressing $2.3 billion in yearly damages from soil-heaving and seismic activity to commercial, industrial, residential, and municipal structures VoidForm has served architects, engineers, and concrete contractors for over 40 years. Watch a video of VoidForm in use.

Product Focus: VoidForm offers an extensive list of products (link) focused on “forming voids” for concrete walls, slabs, and piers, as well as below-grade utility isolation. VoidForm’s product innovations address a simple but enduring problem: In areas with expansive soils, void forms provide temporary support during concrete placement. Once the concrete is self-supporting, these forms provide a cavity where soil can expand, preventing the transfer of uplift pressures into the structural slab or beam above.

The new MS facility increases VoidForm's production capacity, while allowing prompt product delivery throughout the Southern US. The new facility comes in response to a rapid increase in demand for VoidForm's products in the region’s strong building economy.

“The new facility provides VoidForm’s clients with timely, secure delivery of our products,” said David DiLuccia, VoidForm’s President. “The longevity and expansion of our business is entirely driven by product quality, innovative design, and our attention to detail. Now we can serve an expanding customer base with faster delivery to keep construction projects on schedule.”
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...on-MS-Facility
Red Lobster closing restaurants, including some Mississippi locations

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
Red Lobster is closing a number of its restaurants across the U.S., including some in Mississippi.

In addition to closing about 50 of the restaurant's 650 locations, TAGeX Brands is selling off Red Lobster kitchen equipment, furniture and other contents during an online auction. The auction begins Monday and continues through Thursday, according to company founder Neal Sherman.

The Jackson location off Interstate 55 North, has been closed for some time for renovations. It is listed on the Red Lobster website as "Temporarily Closed," as are several other locations that are on the closing list, including D'Iberville and Hattiesburg. The Red Lobster locations in Meridian, Tupelo and Southaven remain open.

Red Lobster is reportedly considering filing for bankruptcy protection. The chain has tapped a restructuring expert as its chief executive, a possible indicator of an impending bankruptcy.

Red Lobster was a restaurant industry pioneer but has declined in recent years due to a range of factors, including corporate mismanagement, say former leaders at the chain and restaurant analysts.
https://www.wapt.com/article/red-lob...-list/60791369
Old Jackson fire station demolished
Video Link

New Fire Station No. 20 open next door

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
The Jackson Fire Department finally said goodbye to the old Fire Station No. 20.
Crews started tearing down the old fire station Monday morning on Medgar Evers Boulevard. The new Fire Station No. 20 is next door, so firefighters came out to watch the demolition. For veterans of the department, it's tough saying goodbye to a place they called home for so many years.

"It housed a lot of great guys," said Capt. Robert Elbert. "It's been one of the oldest stations in the city, so it's time. It's bittersweet, but it's time."

The fire department said the building should be fully demolished in a few days.
https://www.wapt.com/article/deadlie...-1988/39996437
Lake Caroline residents meet to discuss future developments
Video Link

Quote:
MADISON COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) – Lake Caroline residents met with developers at the Mermaid Café on Monday to discuss future developments in the neighborhood.

Residents received a letter in the mail from the president of Lake Caroline, Inc., Mark Jordan, last month stating that the developer would halt plans for now so the land could be properly zoned. They aimed to bring a convenience store to the area.
WJTV 12 News and other media outlets were not allowed in the Monday meeting. Residents and developers spoke about ways that a possible development could help the neighborhood. They also voiced their opinions about the ongoing zoning process.

“I live very close to where all this is going to happen. I live right here on Burn Run, which is very close to it. And to me, I don’t really have a problem with it,” said Sans Russell, who lives at Lake Caroline.

“I think basically what they did is they glossed over a lot of things. They talked about amenities, such as restaurants and things like that. They didn’t talk about the real things that can happen within C-1 zoning,” said Robert Decoster, who also lives at Lake Caroline.

Residents said Jordan did not attend Monday’s meeting.
https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...-developments/
Pearl Chamber of Commerce welcomes Community Mental Health Clinic

Quote:
Pearl Chamber of Commerce
May 7 at 11:55 AM ·
The Pearl Chamber held a grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony at Community Mental Health Clinic , located at 200 St. Paul Street in Pearl. Latonya McGowen is a Nurse Practitioner with a background in Mental Health Services. Depression, bipolar symptoms, schizophrenia and anxiety are all treatable mental health conditions. For more information call 601-300-4455.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00064817136120

Last edited by vetteking; May 14, 2024 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:28 PM

Found picture of construction site for VoidForm new Jackson manufacturing facility

(Photo from VoidForm website)

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 10:41 PM

601JXN Weekend is coming up on June 1 & 2

Quote:
Save the date! 601JXN Weekend is coming up on June 1 & 2! Join us for a collective celebration of our capital city, Jackson, MS.
Stay tuned for exciting events, specials, and opportunities to connect with the vibrant soul of our community! Don't miss out on the festivities!
#601JXN #VisitJacksonMS #601Weekend
Check out a video preview from last years event:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=746584934015656
Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership spotlights Odom's Eye Care Optical

Quote:
Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership
Yesterday at 4:32 PM ·
Today’s Member Spotlight shines on Odom's Eye Care Optical! ✨
Odom's Eye Care Optical is a minority and family-owned business specializing in eye care services since 1947. With more than 100 years of combined experience, Odom's Eye Care offers an umbrella of eye health services! Their on-site doctor conducts comprehensive eye exams and give you the right advice regarding your vision problems. Odom's Eye Care Optical works with most major insurance companies and offers discount plans for your benefit. Learn more at www.odomseyecare.com!

https://www.facebook.com/GreaterJack...Hv6mcaWSytJWcl
Rankin County Chamber of Commerce welcomes Hometown Nutrition of Pelahatchie

Quote:
Rankin County Chamber
2h ·
Congratulations to Hometown Nutrition of Pelahatchie on your Rankin Chamber membership and your Ribbon Cutting! We are excited to share your business with Rankin County! ✂️
Hometown Nutrition of Pelahatchie is centered around ministry and community. They offer a variety of loaded teas and meal replacement shakes. Operating hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Saturday, and 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Sunday. Swing by Hometown Nutrition of Pelahatchie to get an energy boost served with a smile!
(601) 715-0665
401 MS-43 suite C, Pelahatchie, MS 39145
https://www.facebook.com/RankinCount...9HV7VLkW7Kz2fl
Madison the City welcomes LaBelle Interiors

Quote:
Madison the City
May 10 at 10:34 AM ·
Welcome to Madison, MS, LaBelle Interiors!
Step into a world of timeless charm and curated treasures at LaBelle Interiors! We were thrilled to cut the ribbon and welcome this delightful antique and vendor store, where every corner whispers stories of elegance and history.
Find LaBelle Interiors at 984 Highway 51 in Madison, and discover the perfect piece to add a touch of character to your home. Whether you're a seasoned collector or a curious explorer, there's something here just waiting to capture your heart.
https://www.facebook.com/madisonthec...xf4pZgVbk5QDZl
Two electric car charging stations open in Brandon

Quote:
Brandon Main Street Association is in Brandon.
May 7 at 8:44 AM ·
️ We are excited to see a project The City of Brandon has orchestrated, to be more inclusive in our Downtown district, coming to fruition! These two electric car charging stations are located just off Brandon’s Main Street, in the Dining Street parking lot!
⚡️ B&B Utility and Electrical has approximately one more week of working on these and thenEntergy Mississippi will set their power station, before these are functioning!
https://www.facebook.com/brandonmain...BMB2QBTcbxKu3l
Clinton Chamber of Commerce spotlights The Bank by Pizza Shack

Quote:
Clinton Chamber of Commerce
May 9 at 9:00 AM ·
Today's Chamber Business of the Day is The Bank by Pizza Shack, located at 200 W. Leake St. Enjoy The Bank by Pizza Shack’s famous "Mississippi Style" pizza pies- made daily from scratch dough. The Bank by Pizza Shack brings a unique restaurant experience to Olde Town Clinton. There's something about biting into an expertly crafted pizza made from scratch with only the finest ingredients, including homemade sauce and dough - something you'll never experience anywhere else!
www.pizzashackpizza.com!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...40445621450038

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations