HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:02 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It doesn't seem worth getting into a fight about it, but you're kidding yourself if you think the Capitol Motel has any aesthetic value. I agree that we could do a better job at preserving some of our old architecture, but give me a break. There is NOTHING special about it. I would rather actually have affordable housing.

And sure, the buildings where 255 S. State will soon be going up were torn down for a project that didn't happen, but are you going to tell me that the development as currently planned would not be a great asset to the community? It even involves saving and renovating the old building that's behind it - an old building that does actually have character.
No fighting. Just stating facts.

Some of my favorite architecture in Salt Lake are very minor buildings - areas of the city that give things a bit of character and I've often highlighted those types of areas in a good amount of my photo thread. This residential unit does nothing for me. There's nothing substantial, or interesting about it. The Capitol Motel is a not the greatest looking, or most aesthetically pleasing thing (especially without its sign) but the character of the building is infinitely more valuable, in my mind, than this project. Again, it would've been nice if they could incorporate that character into it ... and yet, all we're getting is another cookie cutter, sterile residential project that could literally be swapped out with any of the other hundred-plus developed throughout the city, and valley, without anyone ever really noticing.

Take this building on State Street:

It's probably one of my favorite buildings in Salt Lake - and has been for years. It's not particularly nice, and it is a bit run-down, but it just reeks of character. I love this building. I would hate to see it lost to another boring residential complex.

I'm sure most of you would be perfectly fine losing this building for a rehash of the proposed apartments at the Capitol Motel - but I wouldn't.

To me, what makes a city are these often unseen buildings. There's more character in this 1940 era apartment than anything we'll ever see from the new residential complexes going up that, in 40 years, will be far more dated than this development.

I like that. I get there are some buildings that can't be salvaged, and a city is ever evolving, but it also should be on us to demand for better development. What we're seeing today has about the same shelf-life as the 1970s and 80s era apartment complexes that went up throughout Salt Lake - you know, places like this:

This was built in the 1970s, right on 4th East - they're very common in valley. They're not awful looking ... but, even nearly 50 years later, they lack any type of character for the most part.

That's all - that's my perspective on it.

As for 255 S. State? Yeah. I think the development planned is less an overall asset to the city than what was there long before we decided to tear it down for a project that then went un-developed.

THIS:

...could literally go anywhere downtown. It's great they're going to salvage some of the history but the history of what was there initially was completely demolished and, frankly, again, that has vastly more character than some generic office mid-rise.

I would've much rather salvaged these buildings, and had a mid-rise office development a bit west (where that parking lot is on Broadway and Edison), especially since Salt Lake, especially downtown, is lacking a significant level of these historic blocks. Especially State Street.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:29 PM

https://www.facebook.com/FFKRArchitects/

Quote:
Machinery Co. Apartments | Material study on the exterior cladding for Salt Lake’s newest multifamily apartment. Located in the historical warehouse district of Salt Lake City, the new building will tie into its heritage by utilizing brick, large exterior glazing, and raw steel. Our favorite part? It will feature some pieces salvaged from the original 1900s structure.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:32 PM

I walked by the old Yardstick building on 52 East and 300 South yesterday and noticed it now has a sign for availability to lease. Does anyone know if that's a recent change or has it been available for a while and I just never noticed?

It would be great to finally see something go in there.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:40 PM

Where is this supposed to be at?

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 21, 2019 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
We will probably see the crane go up towards the end of July.

Liberty Sky, if it breaks ground soon, should see a crane in September. The CCH should be late December or January. 255 is in flux as they want to start soon so it is possible that the first crane will be up by January and the 2nd by April or May of 2020.

We will also see cranes up for the Paperbox project in late September, Moda project on 2nd East in October, and Phase 1 of The West Quarter (Block 67) in November.
Thanks! I can't wait for all the cranes to be in the sky

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:47 PM

4th South update

9 story Exchange

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:07 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

It's the building that US Bank is in on the northwest corner of Main and 200 S.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:18 PM

I'm confused. Tygr, did you mean Main and 200 S. ? Wouldn't it be further West? Great project by the way, and thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
It says it is in the historic warehouse district, I don't think main and 200 south is considered part of the warehouse district.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 10:05 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm confused. Tygr, did you mean Main and 200 S. ? Wouldn't it be further West? Great project by the way, and thanks for the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
It says it is in the historic warehouse district, I don't think main and 200 south is considered part of the warehouse district.
It's apparently just a signage update to an existing building—now to be known as "170 South Main" or "One Seventy South Main."

Nevermind... I think you're referring to the post from June 19 at 5:09pm, where I was referring to their latest post made at 2:48pm today. Orlando posted their question at 1:40pm today. Sorry about that.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:28 PM

Maybe it's 3rd West and 2nd South. It's next to their other recently complete building and by the brick industrial buildings to the west on 2nd south.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 6:24 AM

I'll post some up to date pics of the Hardison, Gardon Lofts, Exchange and Morton tomorrow.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
No fighting. Just stating facts.
There are no facts here, only opinions.

Quote:
Some of my favorite architecture in Salt Lake are very minor buildings - areas of the city that give things a bit of character and I've often highlighted those types of areas in a good amount of my photo thread. This residential unit does nothing for me. There's nothing substantial, or interesting about it. The Capitol Motel is a not the greatest looking, or most aesthetically pleasing thing (especially without its sign) but the character of the building is infinitely more valuable, in my mind, than this project. Again, it would've been nice if they could incorporate that character into it ... and yet, all we're getting is another cookie cutter, sterile residential project that could literally be swapped out with any of the other hundred-plus developed throughout the city, and valley, without anyone ever really noticing.
I agree that a lot of small old buildings do add to the character of a place. I also think that we can't really determine what will have character 30 or 50 or more years from now. It probably won't be this apartment complex, true, but I'm not convinced the Capitol Motel really adds much character either. We'll just chalk this up to a fundamental disagreement on the architectural value of the building.

But there's also more to character than just architecture. Sure, the architect can't be blamed for what the Capitol Motel has become, and when a building becomes seedy and run-down, it doesn't have to stay that way, but the fact that the motel is seedy and run-down, and a magnet for crime, IS part of its character now.

As I said before, I'll take the benefit of actually having good affordable housing for our lowest-income groups over the minor architectural character of this building.

There's also an argument to be made that revitalization of that lot could help to spark improvement on an area of State Street that's in desperate need of it. I don't think every single old building on that stretch will be torn down and replaced. Some will be replaced, and some will be renovated. That's how the cycle goes.

Quote:
Take this building on State Street:

It's probably one of my favorite buildings in Salt Lake - and has been for years. It's not particularly nice, and it is a bit run-down, but it just reeks of character. I love this building. I would hate to see it lost to another boring residential complex.

I'm sure most of you would be perfectly fine losing this building for a rehash of the proposed apartments at the Capitol Motel - but I wouldn't.
I agree that's a nice little building, but it's also a bit bland. With the proper care and a facelift, it could be really nice. I would hope that other buildings on that stretch would be torn down and redeveloped before that structure, but you're probably right that I wouldn't make a huge fuss if it were torn down.

I also still think it has significantly more character than the Capitol Motel.

Quote:
To me, what makes a city are these often unseen buildings. There's more character in this 1940 era apartment than anything we'll ever see from the new residential complexes going up that, in 40 years, will be far more dated than this development.
I can agree that a lot of the new apartment complexes going up are lacking in character. Some are certainly nicer than others. I DO decry the loss of some of the smaller old buildings. I really do think they have value. But at the same time, the city is on the precipice of a housing crisis, and I will champion for more housing as much as I can, within reason.

We're also not in danger of losing any of the truly great buildings that were often demolished during the mid-century era of "urban revitalization". There are still plenty of cool, small, old buildings in Salt Lake City. If anything we've done a better job of preserving those than other cities. I don't fundamentally disagree that these smaller, unseen buildings help contribute to the character of Salt Lake, I just don't think it's as big of a crisis as you're making it out to be, and I believe that, in SOME cases, the benefits of the new development outweigh the historic character of the building.

Quote:
but it also should be on us to demand for better development.
I can't disagree too much here. But what can we do without veering dangerously into NIMBYism territory, which character concerns so often do? Salt Lake City could enforce better design standards, sure, but sometimes enforcing better design standards just drives up cost and contributes to gentrification and skyrocketing housing prices. Finding that balance is extremely difficult and I think Salt Lake City really has a great opportunity to navigate that middle ground.

Quote:
As for 255 S. State? Yeah. I think the development planned is less an overall asset to the city than what was there long before we decided to tear it down for a project that then went un-developed.

THIS:

...could literally go anywhere downtown. It's great they're going to salvage some of the history but the history of what was there initially was completely demolished and, frankly, again, that has vastly more character than some generic office mid-rise.

I would've much rather salvaged these buildings, and had a mid-rise office development a bit west (where that parking lot is on Broadway and Edison), especially since Salt Lake, especially downtown, is lacking a significant level of these historic blocks. Especially State Street.
Maybe those old buildings would have been a greater asset to the community, but I simply cannot agree that this is a generic mid-rise that could go anywhere. I think it's an above-average design, with WELL above average pedestrian interaction and public space utilization. And again, that focus on affordable housing couldn't be anything but an asset to the city.

One final note: oftentimes these old buildings become run-down and derelict for a reason, because there is just nobody out there willing to invest the time, money, and effort required to occupy, maintain, and upgrade them. Maybe we can say that's not how it should be, that more companies and cities should take that effort, but it's so much easier said than done.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 10:37 AM

I pretty much agree with much of what you've said Bob, particularly regarding the Capitol Motel Project. I don't think you're saying anything radical, and you've given Comrade the nod on many of his concerns regarding the need to constantly examine what structures we're replacing and what we're replacing them with.

In the case of the failed La Porte Project, my only disappointment was not having the prospect of the design resurrection of the historic Rex theater. I really see little aesthetic value of the facades that were demoed, but that is my opinion. I quite like the design plans of the new 255 S. State St. Project. I think it's attractive, and much needed in that location for a long list of reasons.

No one admires the many opulent designs of previous centuries, or the pre-1940's architectural exterior design treatments more than me. Most of those designs were borrowed either directly from Europe or were European inspired with an American twist added. In my perfect world, Salt Lake City will rebuild some of those more beautiful exterior design treasures that were lost, and do it true to form rather than a modest phony look.

Imo, much of what is contemporary now is far more attractive than several of the previous decades. That also applies to the cookie cutter styles of today, vs. the cookie cutter style of decades such as the 50's - 70's. For example, this style that was posted earlier makes me cringe whenever I see it. If the Capitol Motel project is any example of cookie cutter then I say it's a definite improvement over this over used cookie cutter style pictured below.

While I agree that some of today's residential could use some tweaks, I think they're going to age a lot better than styles such as the one pictured from the 70's. I seriously cheer every time something like that bites the demo dust. Though, also I have seen a few face lifts of 60's and 70's residential here in L.A. recently that have been updated, and are far more attractive than they were previously.

Ironically, I think a lot more people will be up in arms fifty years from now if a developer proposes to demolish this current 255 S. State project vs. the former demolished structures. IMO this will age well. That said, I personally would like to see Salt Lake add a few Walker Bank, Kearns era styles to State St., in addition to the sleek 151 S. State Office Tower previously proposed but replaced by Liberty Sky.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 22, 2019 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 7:56 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
There are no facts here, only opinions.
Sure.

Quote:
I agree that a lot of small old buildings do add to the character of a place. I also think that we can't really determine what will have character 30 or 50 or more years from now. It probably won't be this apartment complex, true, but I'm not convinced the Capitol Motel really adds much character either. We'll just chalk this up to a fundamental disagreement on the architectural value of the building.
I don't think it's much of a disagreement. I'm unimpressed by what's replacing the Capitol Motel. It's typical of Salt Lake, though. So, I shouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
But there's also more to character than just architecture. Sure, the architect can't be blamed for what the Capitol Motel has become, and when a building becomes seedy and run-down, it doesn't have to stay that way, but the fact that the motel is seedy and run-down, and a magnet for crime, IS part of its character now.
Absolutely. Agreed. It's not just about the architecture but the history, and interesting aspect of the structure. I get none of that from any of these new apartments. They're architecturally boring, have little street engagement and likely will bring zero historical value to the city in 20 to 30 years when they're completely outdated and we're cheering their demise.

Quote:
As I said before, I'll take the benefit of actually having good affordable housing for our lowest-income groups over the minor architectural character of this building.
Exactly the problem. We're so hard up for specific development that we compromise just about everything for cheap, cookie-cutter development. It's the same mindset that drove the ugly urban sprawl that defined much of the 70s and 80s. The problem isn't the demolition of the motel, it probably is long overdue - the problem is what we're replacing it with.

Quote:
There's also an argument to be made that revitalization of that lot could help to spark improvement on an area of State Street that's in desperate need of it. I don't think every single old building on that stretch will be torn down and replaced. Some will be replaced, and some will be renovated. That's how the cycle goes.
The cycle is gutting all of Salt Lake's history.

Quote:
I agree that's a nice little building, but it's also a bit bland. With the proper care and a facelift, it could be really nice. I would hope that other buildings on that stretch would be torn down and redeveloped before that structure, but you're probably right that I wouldn't make a huge fuss if it were torn down.
Exactly right and I think that's the problem with Salt Lake and its current development. We're sterilizing the city to the point it's going to have no soul or character. It's sad. And it's something everyone is perfectly okay with because, gosh, it's just an okay looking building. But then you blink and every ounce of history this city has had is now gone because of this mentality. If it's not complete blocks being demolished, we don't care - and even then, we don't really care, do we?

Quote:
I also still think it has significantly more character than the Capitol Motel.
Sure. But what does it matter? You just said you'd probably not care if it was demolished. So, character is irrelevant in your eyes

Quote:
I can agree that a lot of the new apartment complexes going up are lacking in character. Some are certainly nicer than others. I DO decry the loss of some of the smaller old buildings. I really do think they have value. But at the same time, the city is on the precipice of a housing crisis, and I will champion for more housing as much as I can, within reason.
There are plenty of vacant lots and areas primed for development than what's already there. You can't decry the loss of these smaller buildings and then shrug, which is essentially what you're doing.

Look what's next to the Capitol Motel:

I'd rather get rid of that.

Quote:
We're also not in danger of losing any of the truly great buildings that were often demolished during the mid-century era of "urban revitalization". There are still plenty of cool, small, old buildings in Salt Lake City. If anything we've done a better job of preserving those than other cities. I don't fundamentally disagree that these smaller, unseen buildings help contribute to the character of Salt Lake, I just don't think it's as big of a crisis as you're making it out to be, and I believe that, in SOME cases, the benefits of the new development outweigh the historic character of the building.
Your attitude directly proves my point, though. It's not a crisis but the fact remains the complete flippant attitude toward these developments is a problem because it'll eventually get to the point where that fabric won't exist anymore. It's slowly stripping it away that will get you. But the fact is, you do fundamentally disagree. You said it above. You ultimately wouldn't care if that 1940s era apartment building I posted was demolished. You don't seem to really care about the State Street buildings beyond, you know, crocodile tears. That's the problem. You, and the city can collectively talk about retaining the past but if you're shrugging your shoulders at each individual moment that past is demolished, and the character is stripped bit-by-bit from the city, you don't really care about retaining the past. That's fine. I just wholly disagree on that.

Quote:
I can't disagree too much here. But what can we do without veering dangerously into NIMBYism territory, which character concerns so often do? Salt Lake City could enforce better design standards, sure, but sometimes enforcing better design standards just drives up cost and contributes to gentrification and skyrocketing housing prices. Finding that balance is extremely difficult and I think Salt Lake City really has a great opportunity to navigate that middle ground.
Sure seems to work for other cities.

Quote:
Maybe those old buildings would have been a greater asset to the community, but I simply cannot agree that this is a generic mid-rise that could go anywhere. I think it's an above-average design, with WELL above average pedestrian interaction and public space utilization. And again, that focus on affordable housing couldn't be anything but an asset to the city.
I'm confused as to how you cannot agree that it's a generic mid-rise? Please tell me what makes it anymore unique than what is being proposed a block north of it by Cowboy Properties?

Quote:
One final note: oftentimes these old buildings become run-down and derelict for a reason, because there is just nobody out there willing to invest the time, money, and effort required to occupy, maintain, and upgrade them. Maybe we can say that's not how it should be, that more companies and cities should take that effort, but it's so much easier said than done.
It is. And when you adopt a flippant attitude about their destruction, it only fuels the idea that everything is replaceable and because of that, there's little energy put into actually preserving it.

SLC has a rich history but it's done an awful job preserving it. Downtown is riddled with ugly 60s and 70s era buildings, and parking lots, because we didn't embrace our history and allowed a lot of smaller, sometimes insignificant buildings, to be demolished with no pause. We're seeing it again. This isn't just about the Capitol Motel - it's about a mindset that everything in the city is expendable. Just look at the continued fight some of the neighborhoods are seeing outside downtown. In just ten years, the Yalecrest neighborhood has seen 23 historic homes razed - more than any neighborhood in Utah (averaging about five a year). If that continues, in 20 years, Yalecrest will have lost its entire charm.

It's funny. You'd think with how much the LDS Church values embracing its roots, and preserving its past, we'd have a much better mindset of that here. But nope. Oh well. I guess it won't be too bad to look like Phoenix or Las Vegas in 30 years.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Absolutely. Agreed. It's not just about the architecture but the history, and interesting aspect of the structure. I get none of that from any of these new apartments. They're architecturally boring, have little street engagement and likely will bring zero historical value to the city in 20 to 30 years when they're completely outdated and we're cheering their demise.
As delts said above, I don't think they're directly comparable to the boring 60s and 70s era apartment buildings. I do think this particular style will age better. They'll never be as valued as the 1930s and earlier era apartments, but I think they're a huge improvement over what we have been doing for the last 50 years in terms of design. The street engagement is not top-notch, but the Capitol Motel doesn't exactly have much street engagement either.

Quote:
Exactly the problem. We're so hard up for specific development that we compromise just about everything for cheap, cookie-cutter development. It's the same mindset that drove the ugly urban sprawl that defined much of the 70s and 80s.
I'm not sure if you meant sprawl or the redevelopment efforts in downtowns during that time period. If you did mean sprawl, that's definitely not the same mindset. Sprawl is an entirely different beast. If you meant the latter, I think we're doing a better job of preserving than we did in the 70s and 80s. We lost a lot more of our historic building stock and a lot of great historic buildings in those time periods. Whole blocks were demolished in those times, sometimes for parking lots. I don't think that's comparable now - the only similar development I can think of recently is where the new Courthouse/Borg Cube is. And we lost a few really great old buildings for that development.

Quote:
The cycle is gutting all of Salt Lake's history.

Exactly right and I think that's the problem with Salt Lake and its current development. We're sterilizing the city to the point it's going to have no soul or character. It's sad. And it's something everyone is perfectly okay with because, gosh, it's just an okay looking building. But then you blink and every ounce of history this city has had is now gone because of this mentality. If it's not complete blocks being demolished, we don't care - and even then, we don't really care, do we?

Sure. But what does it matter? You just said you'd probably not care if it was demolished. So, character is irrelevant in your eyes
We do care and I think it's disingenuous to suggest that we don't. It's not a "do or don't care" situation. There's different levels of caring. I have not suggested that character is irrelevant, and you know that's not what I'm suggesting.

Quote:
There are plenty of vacant lots and areas primed for development than what's already there. You can't decry the loss of these smaller buildings and then shrug, which is essentially what you're doing.

Look what's next to the Capitol Motel:

I'd rather get rid of that.
Sure, so would I. But first you would have to convince them to sell, and get a developer to come in and develop there. If a business just doesn't want to sell or a developer doesn't offer them enough money to convince them to sell, what can we do?

Quote:
Your attitude directly proves my point, though. It's not a crisis but the fact remains the complete flippant attitude toward these developments is a problem because it'll eventually get to the point where that fabric won't exist anymore. It's slowly stripping it away that will get you. But the fact is, you do fundamentally disagree. You said it above. You ultimately wouldn't care if that 1940s era apartment building I posted was demolished. You don't seem to really care about the State Street buildings beyond, you know, crocodile tears. That's the problem. You, and the city can collectively talk about retaining the past but if you're shrugging your shoulders at each individual moment that past is demolished, and the character is stripped bit-by-bit from the city, you don't really care about retaining the past. That's fine. I just wholly disagree on that.
It's not an either/or proposition. We just have a difference of opinion on what structures are and are not worth saving, and a difference in perspective of how bad the problem is.

Most of the damage in the city was done from the 60s to the 80s. I don't disagree that we still can give up too much, but there's also been plenty of mistakes from the past that we've been working to fix. I would bet most of the downtown parking lots were built after something was demolished. Sure, there's still a ton of parking left to develop, and I would love to develop nearly all of it, but look how much we have already developed on.

Quote:
Sure seems to work for other cities.
Does it though? Name me a major city that doesn't have the same issue with losing these smaller old building stock as we do. Or don't end up being really expensive. Sure, San Francisco has done a great job of preserving its old architecture. It's also a city that has priced out the entire lower and middle class. And I'm sure San Francisco has still lost its fair share of old buildings, too.

Quote:
I'm confused as to how you cannot agree that it's a generic mid-rise? Please tell me what makes it anymore unique than what is being proposed a block north of it by Cowboy Properties?
It's got better shape and form and far better street engagement/public space utilization than the development north of it. The cladding also looks nicer. But I don't think either of them is terrible from an architectural perspective.

Quote:
SLC has a rich history but it's done an awful job preserving it. Downtown is riddled with ugly 60s and 70s era buildings, and parking lots, because we didn't embrace our history and allowed a lot of smaller, sometimes insignificant buildings, to be demolished with no pause. We're seeing it again. This isn't just about the Capitol Motel - it's about a mindset that everything in the city is expendable.

As I mentioned above, I don't think the scale of the problem is anywhere near the urban renewal efforts of mid-century.

Quote:
Just look at the continued fight some of the neighborhoods are seeing outside downtown. In just ten years, the Yalecrest neighborhood has seen 23 historic homes razed - more than any neighborhood in Utah (averaging about five a year). If that continues, in 20 years, Yalecrest will have lost its entire charm.
23 homes in 10 years is 2.3 per year, not 5. I don't think the character and charm of Yalecrest is in danger of being lost any time soon.

It also, again, depends on what those homes are being replaced with. Some of the new homes in the Yalecrest area are really nice, modern homes that fit in well and are done tastefully. I can't speak for all of them, but I've seen quite a few good home rebuilds in that area.

You yourself said that character is built by history, but you're not giving any of these developments that you hate time to develop that history.

I know you've decried the loss of "character" in Sugarhouse in the past. But what I see when I go to Sugarhouse now is a place that is livelier, more vibrant, and more fun to be in than it was when I was younger. I'm not going to argue most of the new development is architecturally significant, but frankly neither was anything that was lost that I can think of. In 20-30 years, Sugarhouse will have developed a brand new type of character. Not one that's better or worse than what existed before, just different.

Not all development ends up like Sugarhouse. But I'm using that as an example that people's perceptions of what defines character varies. And frankly this city is going to look so different 30, 40, 50 years down the line that we cannot predict what the character of the city will be. I get your point, I really do. I want Salt Lake to celebrate all of its eras of history (even to an extent the 70s and 80s). I want Salt Lake to have buildings that you can harken back to from all eras. There are some buildings I have decried the loss of. I plan to be more active and vocal in the future. I'm pursuing city planning as a career path, and I hope to stay in Salt Lake and to help find the balance between new development and preservation. Maybe I'll become one of the people you hate, who knows? But my hope is to do my best to find the balance between preservation and the need for new development and change.

Last edited by bob rulz; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:52 PM

oops, wrong thread.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:57 AM

There's a development I haven't been able to find any information about. It's The Lucy on 13th South next to the TRAX station. It's named after Lucy Ave north of it. I have watched the progress as I drive past on the way to the freeway. It's taken weeks to demolish the buildings that were there. This is phase 1. I suppose there will be more phases.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:54 AM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 5:25 PM

It seems Moda Luxe has applied for a building permit. Between this, the 255 State project and the two projects on the intersection of 200S 200 E the area is going to look drastically different in three years or so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West