HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 26, 2014, 8:48 PM

If you look at the franchise options on the Starbucks website it is clear that they would much rather partner with an established business ie' Target, the one in the Delta, or Chapters. They almost seem to make a stand alone store not an option at all.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 2:01 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
An Old Navy would be a good anchor for the last building in the site plan. I assume 10k square feet would be big enough.

I wish I could agree, 10k isnt enough the one in Moncton is 15k

Proof here:
http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/61A.pdf

I wish they could some how expand one of them locations and make it possible for an old Navy. But maybe they could make one smaller. ?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 4:15 PM

Looking at http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/271A.pdf if Old Navy wanted 15k, they could get it by combining D1 (10k) and D2 (4.6k) into one unit, leaving 2 smaller units at the end. If Old Navy wanted to anchor or even wanted a standalone, they might consider giving the full building over to them (It's 20k in total).

I wish we had some cached plans for Home Sense and Bed Bath and Beyond, to see if they similarly expanded the planned floor plans once they were penciled in.

And on a side note, it's a bit interesting looking at Brookside Mall's numbers: http://www.riocan.com/Content/PDF/sitePlan/18A.pdf There's a 12k difference in the population radius between Corbett and Brookside, and they don't even have Surplus Warehouse pencilled into the old Zellers space. Still with 40k to 80k people in its pull, you'd think they'd be able to get more people in there. Especially with all those apartments in the area.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:36 PM

From The Fox:

Quote:
The former Garrison District Alehouse on Queen Street is about to be revamped. The venture is being taken on by Fredericton businessman Jim Cooper, who managed the Hilltop on Prospect Street for more than 20 years. Cooper says he hopes to have the restaurant/bar up and running some time in the late Spring. He says more details on his plans will be made public in the coming weeks.
Hope this new place will be better than the terrible Hilltop.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 2:31 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Very exciting news! It wont be the grand insides as before but the face will still be the same... I hope

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 10:59 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Boy it's quiet in Fredericton, haha.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:38 PM

Hmm... something to talk about...

How about the Playhouse? There's been a lot of talk last year about how it would be cheaper to replace than to repair. Any thoguhts/ feelings on that?

I'm thinking Replacement is probably the best option for it; but I'm not sure we can go without a venue like that long enough to rebuild it. Especially in the slot next to the conference centre. But if we don't replace it, repairing it will be a lot more expensive and we'd probably still have it out of service just as long.

How does the hotel footprint potential compare to the Playhouse footprint? Wonder if the hotel stalls (which it doesn't look like it will be stalled much longer), they could swap sites, put the Playhouse on that corner, and the hotel on the other.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:48 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I feel for both sides of the coin. Fredericton is known for the Playhouse and I love the Playhouse. It is so unique...on the outside, haha. But Fredericton really does need a bigger venue. To bad we could't have the Playhouse for local productions and a bigger modern theatre for national and international productions.

If they are going to spend millions to upgrade the playhouse, they might as well spend another couple million more for a new one. State of the art. But I can't help but wish Fredericton had a historic theatre like Saint John or Moncton.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:10 PM

I agree 100% with Knoxford. To lose the Playhouse would be tragic and I would love to have both a larger state of the art arts center, and the Playhouse. Sadly it seems that its is an either/or decision.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 6:10 PM

It seems to be Either/Or, simply due to the land. Let's say someone gave the Playhouse all the money they could want to do both options... Where would the new, bigger Playhouse go?... Actually I take that back, I know where it could go. Right on the old bus station lot. Lots of room, ready access to one parking garage, ready access to the new Hotel, ready access to another parking garage, face fronting on two major thoroughfares. That would be really good actually. (And they could still stick a Starbux in the corner. )

OK scratch my thoughts. Still, if a new Playhouse was built, would we have enough events to warrant keeping the old one?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:24 PM

I noticed there is some activity at the former Rent-A-Centre location (between Sobeys and Shoppers) on Prospect Street, anyone know what is going on there?

Edit, looks like Shoppers is expanding, based on the the variation in site plans between the Fredericton Mall and Prospect Plaza.

http://www.crombiereit.ca/PDF/factsheet_44.pdf

http://www.crombiereit.ca/PDF/factsheet_45.pdf

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:34 PM

I think Rent a Centre's just been using the old space for storage for their North Side location. At least I know I've seen their trucks carrying stuff in/out of there occasionally. I'm not surprised to see Shoppers taking up a chunk, but I'm surprised REIT didn't try to get them to take it all up. The sliver that's left is going to be even harder to sell (Esp when they have 2? empty slots in the main centre still)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:42 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I feel for both sides of the coin. Fredericton is known for the Playhouse and I love the Playhouse. It is so unique...on the outside, haha. But Fredericton really does need a bigger venue. To bad we could't have the Playhouse for local productions and a bigger modern theatre for national and international productions.

If they are going to spend millions to upgrade the playhouse, they might as well spend another couple million more for a new one. State of the art. But I can't help but wish Fredericton had a historic theatre like Saint John or Moncton.

I agree the capitol theatre in Moncton is a great venue very retro. ooops I should say Le Théâtre Capitol. Anyways we always go to the comedy shows when they are there in Moncton. The last time I went to the play house was to see Matthew Good in 2007 I think.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 11:33 AM

Regarding The Questions Liquor Agency Hanwell

Hanwell Liquor Agency - Someone asked this question earlier regarding if they ever made a decision. The fact is their was never a decision to be made and that is why the case is going to court. NB Liquor knew the whole time, the Liquor Agency was going in this new Irving site against the Trans Canada Highway for the Moncton Business owner.

The problem Mr Scholten has with this now and why he's fighting it, is because they along with the Hanwell Village Mart were led to believe they actually had a shot of Receiving the liquor agency which would be huge for their business and were asked to provide very personal information about their business and their financial situation in their application for NB liquor eyes only.

NB Liquor in turn used this financial information to calculate what type of numbers they could expect for this new planned Irving location and shared this with the Moncton Business man. They had an idea of what type of traffic they could draw from tourist on the Trans Canada but wanted to know the local numbers. It was never an application for the two local businesses, they were tricked into giving their own financial status for the benefit of this new Gas Station Highway Stop/Liquor Agency.

It was a dirty deceiving trick, NB Liquor breached some Privacy matters that were signed on for their own benefit. If you live in Hanwell or shop out that way, I stress to support your local business owners, whether that be Scholten's, Norms Butcher Block (Hanwell Village Mart) or M&J Convenience.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 12:21 PM

Regarding the Question of Needs on Douglas Avenue

110% when their lease is done with the Hill Brothers, this location will be closed. Essentially Sobeys who owns Needs convenience store Chain is competing against their selves 3 times in this Small Radius. The Newer Needs Sobeys fast Fuel Gas Bar will be Open, The Sobeys Grocery Store will be open, but along with the Needs on Douglas Avenue closing, you will also see the Griffins Smoke Shop on the exterior of the Brookside Sobeys close as well. You will also see any of Sobey's Griffin Smoke Shops that are in a near radius to any Needs Convenience Stores in Atlantic Canada Close.

Will their be another Convenience Store taking the place of Needs in the Douglas Avenue Strip mall? Absolutely not, their is no market anymore for "The Convenience Store" its a dying business, their is next to nothing to make profit on anymore in that industry these days, Its a completely changed business since the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. The Giants like Walmart, Target, Costco, Sobeys and Loblaws have eliminated sales in the convenience store of items they used to make money on such as grocery and confectionary.

Would Seven-Eleven ever come? No Atlantic Canada is dominated by corporate CircleK/Couche Tard, Wilson Fuels Go Stores (Esso), Needs Sobeys, Esso Corporate On The Run, and to a smaller extent, Canadian Tire gas bars and Corporate Petro Canada Sites

A Big Tobacco company like Imperial Tobacco has basically told retailers what their prices and margins will be shrinking cigarette profit margins to about 5% (in the 80's was probably 30%) A convenience store makes 5% on a lottery ticket 5cents on a dollar, one part time staff makes an error doesn't ring in a $ 2 proline tickets or steals a $ 2 crossword ticket, and that store has to sell 20 straight $ 2 lottery tickets (without theft or an error) just to make back up that cost. Tobacco sales profit are further shrunk on the Northside of Fredericton for stores to compete with the St Mary's Smoke Shop. Some regular people don't realize if a carton of Cigarettes cost a consumer $ 80 to purchase plus tax, its not just the 13% above the $ 80 going to the government. The cost of Tobacco is made up of over 70% Federal and Provincial Tobacco taxes. So if you think Joe blow on main st in nashwaaksis is charging too much at $ 9.50 a pack and ripping you off when you can purchase the same Pack at St Mary's for $ 9. Work out the 70% Tobacco tax that one business has to pay and the other does not, and tell me if Joe Blow is ripping you off.

Convenience stores often now sell items like Milk and Bread at or below the cost they pay, just to try and attract any customers into their store to hopefully buy anything else they could make money on.

Think a convenience store makes lots of money selling Gas? Nope not even close the good thing about gas sales is yes it can generate traffic but thats it. In New Brunswick a Gas Station will be lucky to even make 4 to 6cents a litre if their lucky. In Fredericton its much worse due to Costco driving down the Retail price at the pumps (good for the consumer, devastating to an independent store owner) lucky to make 2 to 4 cents a litre, and depending on when a station purchased their fuel and what the retail price goes to on a Thursday their has been many weeks since Costco Gas bar opened, Gas Stations in Fredericton have sold their gas for less than they paid originally to fill their tank. You probably hate filling your vehicle tank at $1.329 a litre right? Imagine a local owner getting his tanks filled at $ 1.30 a litre for 60,000 litres ($ 78,000) on a Tuesday, and on Thursday having to put his price at the Pumps to $ 1.289 per litre ($77,340). the situation is further complicated, by Drive aways n purpose but more commonly mistakes, customer fills their car for $ 40 gas goes in the store to the washroom grabs a pop and bag of chips, buys his 2 Lotto max tickets for Friday nights big draw, cashier is busy, customer has on his mind multiple things and he pays for his stuff and is gone, cashier starts ringing in the next customers before realizing their is $ 40 on pump 4 not payed for, and has no clue who it belongs to. No on purpose theft just an accident. It happens all the time, almost each day.

The moral here is support your local independent stores, such as a Scholten's, Bishop Drive Irving, New Maryland grocery. Its not a coincidence the New Maryland Esso closed shortly after the arrival of Costco's gas bar, when a new owner took over finally he lasted a near 4 or 5 months and closed. Now we have a new Owner trying again.

If it wasn't for a massive number of Koreans coming over to New Brunswick and having to establish a business and making offers to buy convenience stores left and right, their would be dozens and dozens of other convenience stores already closed in New Brunswick.

Sorry for the rant on this, but i know the numbers and feel bad for the Owners of the Small Store that people generally think are rich when they aren't, or pocketing huge profits cause they aren't. And a company like Costco is thought of as the Saviour and the good guy for offering 2cents a litre cheaper fuel, when in actuality they are billionaire increasing profit by the day, invading an area and forcing small business and regular people out of their lively hood.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtriscuit View Post
Regarding The Questions Liquor Agency Hanwell

Hanwell Liquor Agency - Someone asked this question earlier regarding if they ever made a decision. The fact is their was never a decision to be made and that is why the case is going to court. NB Liquor knew the whole time, the Liquor Agency was going in this new Irving site against the Trans Canada Highway for the Moncton Business owner.

The problem Mr Scholten has with this now and why he's fighting it, is because they along with the Hanwell Village Mart were led to believe they actually had a shot of Receiving the liquor agency which would be huge for their business and were asked to provide very personal information about their business and their financial situation in their application for NB liquor eyes only.

NB Liquor in turn used this financial information to calculate what type of numbers they could expect for this new planned Irving location and shared this with the Moncton Business man. They had an idea of what type of traffic they could draw from tourist on the Trans Canada but wanted to know the local numbers. It was never an application for the two local businesses, they were tricked into giving their own financial status for the benefit of this new Gas Station Highway Stop/Liquor Agency.

It was a dirty deceiving trick, NB Liquor breached some Privacy matters that were signed on for their own benefit. If you live in Hanwell or shop out that way, I stress to support your local business owners, whether that be Scholten's, Norms Butcher Block (Hanwell Village Mart) or M&J Convenience.
Is there any evidence supporting this theory? Based on what I know it absolutely is not true.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Has anyone seen how the development behind the old shie factory is going on York? Haven't been down in that area for months.
Was by there this AM. They are now just starting the 4th floor. Also to note that this unit has underground parking.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:21 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Was by there this AM. They are now just starting the 4th floor. Also to note that this unit has underground parking.
This area has great potential. I just hope it doesn't become a land of codos. There should be retail there as well so people want to be there and give it a aura of life all day not just morning and evening when people are going to work/school and coming home.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Is there any evidence supporting this theory? Based on what I know it absolutely is not true.
Start with going to Scholtens on the Hanwell in their restaurant, a bunch of Newspaper articles on the situation. the court case is regarding the leaking of private personal information to third parties.

I can also guarantee that convenience store would not be in the middle of being built not knowing if they would get a liquor agency or not. They know its theirs.

I do have proof, that this has gone down as Ive said. But you will have to take a wait and see approach because I cannot state the various information on a public message board in respect to Chris Scholten and others involved in a potential lawsuit situation

Im not just a person making an outside observation I've been on the inside for different steps along the way.

bottom line is NB Liquor knew from the start they want an outlet on the highway there, and I certainly don't blame them at all. The application process giving businesses a false hope for other purposes is the issue going forward.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtriscuit View Post
Start with going to Scholtens on the Hanwell in their restaurant, a bunch of Newspaper articles on the situation. the court case is regarding the leaking of private personal information to third parties.

I can also guarantee that convenience store would not be in the middle of being built not knowing if they would get a liquor agency or not. They know its theirs.

I do have proof, that this has gone down as Ive said. But you will have to take a wait and see approach because I cannot state the various information on a public message board in respect to Chris Scholten and others involved in a potential lawsuit situation

Im not just a person making an outside observation I've been on the inside for different steps along the way.

bottom line is NB Liquor knew from the start they want an outlet on the highway there, and I certainly don't blame them at all. The application process giving businesses a false hope for other purposes is the issue going forward.
FYI Their is absolutely nothing to be won in court Mr Scholten knows this, its him vs NB Liquor which is Government Owned, its to prove a point and the moral of it all. NB Liquor can and will do want they want, because of it being the Government. Which is also why they aren't too concerned about leaking personal information to the New Irvings Owner, because well that was the intent.

Ive ranted enough about it, its just frustrating, and in the end, The Liquor store is in the new Irving, always was and that won't change, or it would not have been built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces