HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 2:55 PM
The City

Speaking of development on Wells St (the MVP of the current boom), does anybody know what's going on with the hotel planned for Old Town?

O'Brien's was supposed to close Aug 31 to make way for its construction.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

675 N Wells this morning: RIP parking lot.

Gino's East Tower and Ed Dubevic Tower in the background.
C'mon developers. Let's get hooters to go next.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 3:39 PM

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/3/9/1...il-wells-huron. ^^^^cool map at the bottom

Has anyone heard about any movement on that Smithfield project at Wells/Chicago as of late?

Last edited by KWILLSKYLINE; Oct 1, 2016 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 8:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The crews are gone from the 675 N Wells lot now. It looked like they just dug up some mangled pieces of steel and then filled in the holes. So maybe it's just a little bit of site prep.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 8:13 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
The maps says the Cedar Street development would have 114 units, but there's this sign posted on the building Cedar Street will be redeveloping seeking approval for 149 units and only 20 parking spaces:

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:31 AM
The City

^ I'm confused, that sign appears to be of a different development than the link you referred to

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:51 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I'm confused, that sign appears to be of a different development than the link you referred to
No it doesn't.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:59 AM
The City

^ ok never mind, I see what it's in reference to

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 3:01 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
I would argue with it being better that south loop. First off, you cant claim bears. If you claim bears, the south loop gets bears, bulls, sox,and cubs via transit. And music, there is that park right there, i hear they have a few events there a year.

Also, I expect to see 4k for a 2bed up there, not 3.
Yeah, sorry, I meant to say Hawks/Bulls. But the Bears and Sox are both quick walks from the Green Line, which you can board in West Loop!

I dunno, West Loop seems to be growing into a big cohesive urban fabric that is totally walkable and flooded with ample restaurants, small-scale independent retail, chains, and even starting to see some high-end/boutique retail.

South Loop has the lakefront which is a major advantage for recreation, but are the museums really that much of a draw? I like visiting museums, but I probably wouldn't visit them any more often if I had one around the corner.

From a walkability standpoint, South Loop is hobbled by the fact that most of it used to be railyards, and developers and the city royally f'ed up the planning when those neighborhoods were getting built, and continue to do so. North of Roosevelt and east of State, the mostly carless student population supports some decent retail, but south of Roosevelt is a total snoozefest. From a retail standpoint, the city opened the floodgates on the Roosevelt corridor to chains, and now many chains opened up in shopping centers around Roosevelt/Canal instead of finding spaces that are actually IN the South Loop neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 4:32 PM
The City

^ True, but what's annoying about that is the fact that west loop NIMBYs will almost certainly attribute that to "see? That's the benefit of not having skyscrapers" thus justifying their NIMBYism even further.

The truth being, if course, that the most bustling downtown neighborhood is River North which continues to transform to our version of midtown Manhattan, yet remains walkable and vibrant.

I've lost hope for the South Loop west of State St. Its best hope is to just be a dense, bedroom district with perhaps some local amenities, but it will never be a place worth visiting.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 4:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
^ True, but what's annoying about that is the fact that west loop NIMBYs will almost certainly attribute that to "see? That's the benefit of not having skyscrapers" thus justifying their NIMBYism even further.

The truth being, if course, that the most bustling downtown neighborhood is River North which continues to transform to our version of midtown Manhattan, yet remains walkable and vibrant.

But can you blame the West Loop NIMBYs for not wanting highrises in their neighborhood? Let's be honest, the majority of newer highrises in Chicago tend to suck at street level due to parking requirements. Just look at Halsted near the West Loop, easily the worst part of the neighborhood. Even with River North, the most interesting parts (at least to me) are the stretches of Clark and Wells with low rises, and the western portion with the industrial buildings from yester-year.
Now, if we are talking about 10-15 story buildings, such as the new Nobu Hotel with zero onsite parking, then I'm all for that in spades in the west loop.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 4:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:

But can you blame the West Loop NIMBYs for not wanting highrises in their neighborhood? Let's be honest, the majority of newer highrises in Chicago tend to suck at street level due to parking requirements. Just look at Halsted near the West Loop, easily the worst part of the neighborhood, with the out of scale parking podiums. Even with River North, the most interesting parts (at least to me) are the stretches of Clark and Wells with low rises, and the western portion with the industrial buildings from yester-year.
Now, if we are talking about 10-15 story buildings, such as the new Nobu Hotel with zero onsite parking, then I'm all for that in spades in the west loop.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 5:17 PM

It is not like nothing is going up in the West Loop. There are plenty of buildings with pretty decent density. Besides River North and South Loop not many neighborhoods can show the same amount of buildings around 10 stories going up. I would much rather live in the West Loop than River North or South Loop.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 6:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
But can you blame the West Loop NIMBYs for not wanting highrises in their neighborhood? Let's be honest, the majority of newer highrises in Chicago tend to suck at street level due to parking requirements. Just look at Halsted near the West Loop, easily the worst part of the neighborhood, with the out of scale parking podiums. Even with River North, the most interesting parts (at least to me) are the stretches of Clark and Wells with low rises, and the western portion with the industrial buildings from yester-year.
Are you kidding? Even with parking podia the towers usually have active street uses. Compare that with the West Loop with their blank walls at street level due to parking. I'd rather see highrises if those are the choices

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 6:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Are you kidding? Even with parking podia the towers usually have active street uses. Compare that with the West Loop with their blank walls at street level due to parking. I'd rather see highrises if those are the choices
No, I'm not kidding. Don't get me wrong, the West Loop has lots of things going for it, but, generally speaking, architecture isn't one of them.

I actually don't mind the massing of the west loop, but as you said, there are way too many dead spaces/blank walls/garage doors. I just would rather have that in a neighborhood like the west loop than parking podiums galore.

I think the West Loop could have been our version of Tribeca, with cutting edge mid rise buildings, peppered with older warehouse buildings and such, but the ship set sail long ago on that vision.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
No, I'm not kidding. Don't get me wrong, the West Loop has lots of things going for it, but, generally speaking, architecture isn't one of them.

I actually don't mind the massing of the west loop, but as you said, there are way too many dead spaces/blank walls/garage doors. I just would rather have that in a neighborhood like the west loop than parking podiums galore.

I think the West Loop could have been our version of Tribeca, with cutting edge mid rise buildings, peppered with older warehouse buildings and such, but the ship set sail long ago on that vision.
Not quite, there's still hope for the Fulton Market area of West Loop. Many of the recent proposals for the area are really nice and all posses active ground level retail. The Halsted St area of West Loop, on the other hand, I have given up entirely on for being an enjoyable stretch to walk.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
---

61 W Erie

I couldn't find it. Is 61 W Erie on the pg 1 list?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, sorry, I meant to say Hawks/Bulls. But the Bears and Sox are both quick walks from the Green Line, which you can board in West Loop!

I dunno, West Loop seems to be growing into a big cohesive urban fabric that is totally walkable and flooded with ample restaurants, small-scale independent retail, chains, and even starting to see some high-end/boutique retail.

South Loop has the lakefront which is a major advantage for recreation, but are the museums really that much of a draw? I like visiting museums, but I probably wouldn't visit them any more often if I had one around the corner.

From a walkability standpoint, South Loop is hobbled by the fact that most of it used to be railyards, and developers and the city royally f'ed up the planning when those neighborhoods were getting built, and continue to do so. North of Roosevelt and east of State, the mostly carless student population supports some decent retail, but south of Roosevelt is a total snoozefest. From a retail standpoint, the city opened the floodgates on the Roosevelt corridor to chains, and now many chains opened up in shopping centers around Roosevelt/Canal instead of finding spaces that are actually IN the South Loop neighborhood.
I'm assuming you live near the potential development in discussion on Ogden and Lake. If so where do you get groceries or food? I live in the South Loop near Michigan & Roosevelt, but work near Ogden and Fulton. In this part of the West Loop it feels like a vacuum of grocery stores within walking distance. I think it would be great to see some sort of niche food market like Goddess and the Grocer or Go Grocer or a more affordable market to pop up in this far West Loop area. But right now the options seem weak for getting food outside getting to Halsted to the Mariano's or Whole Foods. What I'd love is to see Blue Plate offering a direct to consumer sort of market at their Ogden location.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

465 N Park has its own dedicated thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=224901

please post all updates and comments regarding it to that thread, thanks.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 7:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSTaylor View Post
I'm assuming you live near the potential development in discussion on Ogden and Lake. If so where do you get groceries or food? I live in the South Loop near Michigan & Roosevelt, but work near Ogden and Fulton. In this part of the West Loop it feels like a vacuum of grocery stores within walking distance. I think it would be great to see some sort of niche food market like Goddess and the Grocer or Go Grocer or a more affordable market to pop up in this far West Loop area. But right now the options seem weak for getting food outside getting to Halsted to the Mariano's or Whole Foods. What I'd love is to see Blue Plate offering a direct to consumer sort of market at their Ogden location.
No, I live in Pilsen, and quite frankly I have most things I need within walking distance. However, I also own a car and drive regularly, so having a grocery store nearby would not be a deal-breaker for me personally.

I'm not sure what kind of parking ratio the developers at Lake/Fulton are planning, but they may plan on providing 1 space/unit on the assumption that many residents will want to drive for essentials.

A car-less friend of mine lives west of the United Center but commutes downtown via the Madison bus, and often stops at Halsted for groceries. It's not that unreasonable... although I agree that a grocery option is needed closer to Ashland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations