HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:09 PM
METRO: Encanto

Although it is the only way that things seem to get done downtown, the use of GPLETs is really unfortunate. The Phoenix Elementary School District includes some of the most valuable property in the state but they get no property tax from it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:10 PM

Arquitect, do you know what the last sentence in that articles means? "The project is also projected ground bottom floor"

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:29 PM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Great news on the Hotel Monroe front, they are pushing to have it open before the Super Bowl. Also, an interesting note about how they are going to deal with parking (since we have been talking about that issue in downtown).

source: http://www.azcentral.com/business/re...nclick_check=1
The news about having the hotel open by next year's Super Bowl is nothing new. That bit of info was included in the articles last month. Seeing as absolutely nothing is currently being done on the site, I find it pretty hard to believe that the entire project is going to be completed in the 49 weeks between now and next Super Bowl.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:40 PM
Skyriser

poconoboy, a 49 week deadline could happen. There's probably no structural work to be done, they very likely have the as-built plans, there was work done already (tho who knows the status of it), and a large amount of interior work does not require permitting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
Arquitect, do you know what the last sentence in that articles means? "The project is also projected ground bottom floor"
To be honest, I'm not really sure. I hope it means that they are planing to address the ground level (maybe with retail space), but it is confusing the way it was written.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 3:32 AM

Just a random question on the Ballpark apartments, I read from a source that they've decided not to abandon Buchanan St. Has this been proven true?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 5:31 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Just a random question on the Ballpark apartments, I read from a source that they've decided not to abandon Buchanan St. Has this been proven true?
The latest document on file with the City shows Buchanan continuing through. http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int.../z-78-08a3.pdf

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The latest document on file with the City shows Buchanan continuing through. http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int.../z-78-08a3.pdf
Well hot dog, also I notice in this rendering that the office warehouse is no longer in the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 3:46 PM

Quote:
This design looks much better with the garage total wraped and Buchanan open. Which one will it be?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Well hot dog, also I notice in this rendering that the office warehouse is no longer in the rendering.
The warehouse is south of the part of the development being shown in the site plans. They are definitely leaving that warehouse and restoring it; there is an article on Downtown Devil with direct quotes.

You can compare the site plan to the full site shown here: http://www.graniteci.com/images/Deve...l%20size72.jpg

The new site plan is MUCH better. I think they addressed almost every negative aspect of the original: garage is wrapped, Buchanan is left open, historic buildings accessible to the public... this has gone from a "not great long-term, but we need the residents down there" to a great project all-around.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...r-culture.html

Glad to see people downtown are looking at things like this to lure more conventions, young people, and more importantly, new residential development. I can't believe the 6th largest city in the country only has 9,000 people living downtown.

We have to start somewhere and I'm happy to see two new breweries opening this year. I've always felt that if Phoenix had a more attractive bar and restaurant scene then residents and tourism will follow. There has been a nice uptick the past couple of years, so lets hope some condo highrises are on the horizon.
So, the city's leaders are just now realizing that providing an authentic and unique experience, rather than miles of strip malls with chain stores, to visitors will give Phoenix an identity? It's a little late given the countless buildings that have been destroyed over the years that would have formed the core of any kind of walkable district downtown that so many of its competitor cities have.

The brewery referenced in the article is the perfect example: it's opening in the restored Bayless building on 7th street, which is one of the least pedestrian-friendly streets in the city. There was some hope of at least having a continuous strip of restored buildings and retail between McKinley and the 10 on 7th street, since the same group who restored Bayless and 7th ave/McDowell were looking at rehabbing the structures between the 10 and Roosevelt. But, thanks to the Circle K fiasco, that small hope is gone since they demolished the SEC of Roosevelt and 7th, leaving us with the option of a mega gas station or an empty dirt lot. We're getting the former, but at this point, it doesn't even matter.

The Madison and St James hotel block would have made the perfect entrance to a brewery and warehouse district given their visibility from CityScape, Chase Field, US Airways, and the future Luhrs hotel. The parking lot next to the Madison could have turned into a Beer Garden opening up into the back alley where there could have been art, food trucks, etc. as the other buildings fill in with businesses (a gallery in the middle building, lofts in the St James...). Oh well. VIP parking is much better use... creating an even bigger gap between Cooperstown and The Duce is exactly what we need to make the southern part of downtown seem safe and welcoming.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 6:47 PM

Came across this article on Azcentral and it shows another rendering of the Union@Roosevelt and mentions it will be developed soon.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ne...nclick_check=1

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Came across this article on Azcentral and it shows another rendering of the Union@Roosevelt and mentions it will be developed soon.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ne...nclick_check=1
That was a great article summing up some projects. Makes me hopeful.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The warehouse is south of the part of the development being shown in the site plans. They are definitely leaving that warehouse and restoring it; there is an article on Downtown Devil with direct quotes.
The exterior of the warehouse has already been restored. I drive up 4th St often and from what I can tell, they completed the restoration last year. The renderings of the warehouse are of the east side of the building facing the parking lot.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 5:17 PM
BANNED

I was looking at the City of Phoenix formal agenda meetings and in this paragraph on Downtown Transportation issues and one particular sentence stood out.

Downtown Phoenix Comprehensive Transportation Study
The City has partnered with Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) to develop
the Downtown Phoenix Comprehensive Transportation Study. The study area includes
the streets bounded by McDowell Road on the north, Buckeye Road on the south,
7th Avenue on the west, and 7th Street on the east. The “inner loop” area that
encompasses Interstate 10 and Interstate 17 surrounding the downtown core is also
included in the study. The study will analyze and develop transportation scenarios to
determine the best alternatives for short-, mid-, and long-term benefits to downtown.
Last fall, staff conducted six focus group meetings with representatives from downtown
stakeholders. In addition, a general public meeting was held. The project team
documented the issues and strategies that participants felt were most important.
Continual emphasis was placed on obtaining a balance of transportation modes in the
downtown area that move people, spur economic development, encourage livable
streets, and enhance the traveling experience. Input from these meetings is helping the
project team develop a series of scenarios focusing on near-term solutions and
addressing items such as the inclusion of two proposed new light rail routes, two-way
corridors as opposed to one-way streets, bike lanes, and the future of Central Avenue
between Jefferson and Washington Streets.
Refined scenarios were shown to the
public at two open houses in November 2013. An update on these efforts was
presented at the Downtown, Aviation, and Redevelopment, and the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittees in December 2013. The project team anticipates
presenting the results of the study to the full Council in April 2014.

I guess they're considering closing that portion that runs through CityScape since they think they can create a pedestrian plaza that will link the two sides of the project thereby creating more open space for festivals, the ice rink and other activities. I can understand them wanting to do it, but I hate the idea that you would have our main boulevard that runs from north of Dunlap all the way down to South Mountain Park without interruption (expect for one city block). I think that's crazy IMO.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:22 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post

I guess they're considering closing that portion that runs through CityScape since they think they can create a pedestrian plaza that will link the two sides of the project thereby creating more open space for festivals, the ice rink and other activities. I can understand them wanting to do it, but I hate the idea that you would have our main boulevard that runs from north of Dunlap all the way down to South Mountain Park without interruption (expect for one city block). I think that's crazy IMO.
I'm not a fan of pedestrian malls and have spoken out against efforts to make either First Street or Adams into one. That block of Central might just work, though, given how busy the interior of Cityscape can be. Regardless, anyone can voice opinions for or against these proposals during the two open houses being held this week.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:27 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
I'm not a fan of pedestrian malls and have spoken out against efforts to make either First Street or Adams into one. That block of Central might just work, though, given how busy the interior of Cityscape can be. Regardless, anyone can voice opinions for or against these proposals during the two open houses being held this week.
While I agree, it probably would work there because people are constantly jaywalking that small block anyhow, I'd be against it.

As was mentioned, being able to drive from the hills in Sunnyslope all the way to the top of South Mountain on Central is pretty cool. I like that its one long, uninterrupted boulevard where so many different parts of the city can be experienced.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
While I agree, it probably would work there because people are constantly jaywalking that small block anyhow, I'd be against it.

As was mentioned, being able to drive from the hills in Sunnyslope all the way to the top of South Mountain on Central is pretty cool. I like that its one long, uninterrupted boulevard where so many different parts of the city can be experienced.
Currently you cannot drive from Sunnyslope to South Mountain on Central because Central is one-way going north downtown. You can drive from South Mountain to Sunnyslope all the way on Central though.

I generally agree that closing roads for pedestrian malls is a bad idea. They have rarely succeeded. However, here, they are proposing closing a very small area and not multiple blocks, and the area is currently very busy with pedestrian activity. I'm not entirely opposed to it. I am however opposed to closing Adams Street.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 11:27 PM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
I was looking at the City of Phoenix formal agenda meetings and in this paragraph on Downtown Transportation issues and one particular sentence stood out.

Downtown Phoenix Comprehensive Transportation Study
The City has partnered with Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) to develop
the Downtown Phoenix Comprehensive Transportation Study. The study area includes
the streets bounded by McDowell Road on the north, Buckeye Road on the south,
7th Avenue on the west, and 7th Street on the east. The “inner loop” area that
encompasses Interstate 10 and Interstate 17 surrounding the downtown core is also
included in the study. The study will analyze and develop transportation scenarios to
determine the best alternatives for short-, mid-, and long-term benefits to downtown.
Last fall, staff conducted six focus group meetings with representatives from downtown
stakeholders. In addition, a general public meeting was held. The project team
documented the issues and strategies that participants felt were most important.
Continual emphasis was placed on obtaining a balance of transportation modes in the
downtown area that move people, spur economic development, encourage livable
streets, and enhance the traveling experience. Input from these meetings is helping the
project team develop a series of scenarios focusing on near-term solutions and
addressing items such as the inclusion of two proposed new light rail routes, two-way
corridors as opposed to one-way streets, bike lanes, and the future of Central Avenue
between Jefferson and Washington Streets.
Refined scenarios were shown to the
public at two open houses in November 2013. An update on these efforts was
presented at the Downtown, Aviation, and Redevelopment, and the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittees in December 2013. The project team anticipates
presenting the results of the study to the full Council in April 2014.

They close that block for about a month each holiday season and people seem to survive.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 11:48 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Currently you cannot drive from Sunnyslope to South Mountain on Central because Central is one-way going north downtown. You can drive from South Mountain to Sunnyslope all the way on Central though.
Bah, you know what I meant! I just logged back on here because I thought "oh wait did I say you can go North to South, some sassy molassy is going to correct me."

Either way, there are enough super blocks in downtown Phoenix already. They close this block for December and that's fine, lets not make it a full time thing though. It really does odd things to the traffic flow and will put undue pressure on other streets.

If Phoenix is ever going to have a grand urban street, it'll be Central Ave., super blocking it won't help. Plus depending on how its all aligned, there's a chance Light Rail could be on that block at some point (it could be on all 4 sides of the main CityScape block), so it seems silly to change it and then potentially have to change it again when more rail comes on board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest