HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 2:00 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is actually in West Jordan between 7000 S & 7800 S on Redwood Road.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 4:10 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

What is being constructed just east of the abandoned Toys R Us building in Sugarhouse? Wasn’t that Toys R Us building suppose to be demolished, or did they decide to keep it. It looks like training Table is also fenced off. Is somthing going to replace that? They should tear down toys r us and put a smaller Harmon’s like the one at city creek there. Whole Foods is good for some people, but you can’t buy anything normal there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
What is being constructed just east of the abandoned Toys R Us building in Sugarhouse? Wasn’t that Toys R Us building suppose to be demolished, or did they decide to keep it. It looks like training Table is also fenced off. Is somthing going to replace that? They should tear down toys r us and put a smaller Harmon’s like the one at city creek there. Whole Foods is good for some people, but you can’t buy anything normal there.
They are building a hotel on that part of the shopping area, but I thought t was going on the existing parking lot and not tearing down any buildings.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 4:45 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
They are building a hotel on that part of the shopping area, but I thought t was going on the existing parking lot and not tearing down any buildings.
I don’t think they tore anything down... it just seems like at one point they were going to tear down toys r us... maybe not though. Training Table is probably just being converted into something else. The company closed all its stores.

Sugarhouse doesn’t have the charm it once did... but. For what it is now, I’ve decided that I think I might like it better then down town. I’m considering moving there. Downtown is really kind of boring. It’s seems like there is a much better variety of places to eat and shop in Sugarhouse. They also have a nice park and a decent movie theater, in fact... I always drive there because Megaplex 12 is trash. There are some things I like doing down town, but I think Sugarhouse seems better on a more day to day basis... plus it’s still easy to get down town.

I don’t think they skyscrapers in salt lake mean anything. There is no density and not much to do. City Creek was cool for a while, but it’s really a bland mall. Not a lot of diversity in shopping. I can’t help but to miss crossroads and ZCMI every time I walk through it. I also like that I can walk around Sugarhouse without getting pestered by panhandles ever 5 minuets. There are a few but not like salt lake. I really hope they leave the stuff on the north side of 2100 alone to preserve some of the classic feel of Sugarhouse.

I’m kind of holding off to see what the final plan is for the Trolly Square area. That might end up being a saving grace for down town.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 7:55 PM

I don't think there was ever a plan to tear down Toys R Us.

Quote:
They should tear down toys r us and put a smaller Harmon’s like the one at city creek there. Whole Foods is good for some people, but you can’t buy anything normal there.
Smiths is 3 blocks to the west. Granted, Harmons is better than Smiths, but would there be enough traffic to support a Smiths, Harmons, Whole Foods, and Natural Grocers all within 3 blocks of each other? I'm not sure.

I do agree that Sugarhouse is a nice neighborhood that has a lot to do, but I wholeheartedly disagree with saying that it has a better restaurant scene. Downtown has tons of great restaurants. Downtown also has a much better bar scene.

I love Sugarhouse to death though. I grew up there, and a part of me will always be attached to it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 10:43 PM

Ooops, Sugar House is Salt Lake City, right?

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 12:01 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I don't think there was ever a plan to tear down Toys R Us.

Smiths is 3 blocks to the west. Granted, Harmons is better than Smiths, but would there be enough traffic to support a Smiths, Harmons, Whole Foods, and Natural Grocers all within 3 blocks of each other? I'm not sure.

I do agree that Sugarhouse is a nice neighborhood that has a lot to do, but I wholeheartedly disagree with saying that it has a better restaurant scene. Downtown has tons of great restaurants. Downtown also has a much better bar scene.

I love Sugarhouse to death though. I grew up there, and a part of me will always be attached to it.
I think it would probably be okay. Downtown has smiths, Harmon’s, Whole Foods, spouts, Trader Joe’s, and some other store all within walking distance of each other. I think Sugarhouse could sustain a small Harmon’s... especially if it’s close to 1300. It might take a little business away from smiths. I think they would be okay though... in all honesty I don’t care much about smiths or even Whole Foods. If local Harmons can take Kroger and Amazons business away... good.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
MILLCREEK. During the process of collecting citizen input for the General Plan, it has become clear that people want new opportunities for working, living, and shopping in Millcreek. One idea to implement these desires has been to create a city center near City Hall, which is located in the shopping center on the corner of 33rd South and 13th East.

The "Wedge", as city planners fondly reference it, is the area bounded roughly by Highland Drive on the east, Richmond Street on the north, 13th East on the west, and the commercial area in which City Hall is located. See the photo above.
Planners have begun working on city code changes that would encourage and allow the development of a city center in The Wedge. We'd like The Wedge to have great new public spaces for Millcreek residents and visitors to enjoy.

EDIT: forgot link to article
https://mailchi.mp/millcreekut/new-c...d?e=7ff8908e77

Last edited by JMK; Apr 24, 2018 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:50 AM

Ooh that sounds promising! I made a post not too long ago that talked about something very similar, how desperately that area needs renovating and how the potential is very much there for it. That's an area of town that has a good "backbone" so to speak.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 3:11 PM

Utah top in country for job growth, report says

By Jasen Lee @JasenLee1 Published: April 20, 2018 11:15 am
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...port-says.html

SALT LAKE CITY — The Beehive State ranked first in overall and private sector job growth for the month of March, according to the Utah Department of Workforce Services.

Utah's growth rate of 3.1 percent was the highest in the nation, just above Idaho and Washington state, the report says. Additionally, Utah experienced the highest private sector job growth at 3.7 percent from the same period last year— adding 44,100 new positions.

The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate remained unchanged from the prior month at 3.1 percent. The national jobless rate also held steady at 4.1 percent. Approximately 48,500 Utahns were unemployed and actively seeking work, the report states.

The state’s nonfarm payroll employment for March 2018 grew by an estimated 3.3 percent, adding 48,000 jobs to the economy year over year. The report shows that 1,501,800 Utahns were registered as gainfully employed.

“The addition of 48,000 jobs to our workforce shows the strength and staying power of Utah’s economy,” said Carrie Mayne, the department's chief economist. “Holding our unemployment count under 50,000 is evidence of the alignment between our employers’ needs and the skills of our workforce.”...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:18 PM

I live within SLC city limits, but "The Wedge" area in Millcreek is the closest commercial center to me. I've walked to Sushi Groove, Michelangelo's, etc. several times for a night out, but agree the area could be much more inviting and pedestrian friendly. There are several empty lots and dilapidated buildings offering potential spaces for renovation or new construction. Lowering the speed limit on Highland through the area would be nice too.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:33 PM

Lowering the speed limit will have no affect if the road isn't redesigned to encourage people to drive slower as well.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Lowering the speed limit will have no affect if the road isn't redesigned to encourage people to drive slower as well.
Good point. The speed limit on a section of Sunnyside Drive was lowered from 40 to 30 a few years ago and people still drive 40 on it. It even has one of those big radar machine that tells you how fast you're going, which I think would be more effective if it was outfitted with a rotten egg launcher that pummels your car if you're speeding.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 10:08 PM

Millcreek City Center? City officials seeking input for redevelopment near new City Hall

https://www.ksl.com/article/46310712...-new-city-hall

Four months ago, Millcreek city officials set up their new City Hall in what was once a thrift store, sandwiched between a Dollar Tree and a La Frontera.

Now, there to stay, the new city's leaders are envisioning much more for the area — near the shopping center on the corner of 3300 South and 1300 East — and they want to hear from residents for guidance.

"If this area's going to change, then we want it to change in a way that makes our city better," Mayor Jeff Silvestrini said, walking down 3300 South on Thursday. "This is an opportunity the city gets to kind of reinvent itself."

Think a master-planned "city center," Silvestrini said. A community gathering place in the heart of Millcreek with a plaza — maybe a splash pad — surrounded by dining, shopping, access to transit (perhaps something like Salt Lake City's S-Line), and mixed-use housing developments, all walkable and bikeable.

"That's my vision. But my vision is just my vision," Silvestrini said. "I really am interested in finding out what people want. Sometimes, to get a conversation going, you've got to throw out some ideas."

Millcreek city planners are eyeing a roughly five-block area for redevelopment, bounded by Highland Drive, 3300 South and 1300 East, which they've casually coined "The Wedge." Though Silvestrini, laughing, said it needs a better name, perhaps something like "The Brickyard" or the "Brickyard Shopping Center" because of its proximity to the old brickyard Salt Lake City annexed years ago.

City planners have begun working city code changes to encourage a city center development, possibly by creating a Community Reinvestment Area to potentially use future tax increment to attract businesses, Silvestrini said.

But for now, the project isn't costing Millcreek taxpayers, the mayor noted. The city received a $75,000 grant from the Wasatch Front Regional Council to help with master planning.

But first, city leaders want to hear from residents and are hosting a meeting on Monday from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at City Hall to take public input on what they would want to see in a new city center.

So far, Silvestrini said, Millcreek residents "overwhelmingly" want to see a community gathering place, like in Holladay, with unique access to shopping and local restaurants.

At the same time, Millcreek has already received applications for several large, multifamily apartment projects containing hundreds of units for the area, said Francis Lilly, Millcreek's planning director.

"So unless the city steps in and creates a vision, you'll get kind of a hodgepodge of developments that may not serve the city well in the long term," Lilly said.

The last thing Silvestrini said he wants to see is a "haphazard" development of big apartments, so "we thought we'd better get out in front of this and plan something."

"We're just concerned things are happening so fast and Utah is growing so fast, the market forces may deprive us of the opportunity to plan and have something really cool here," the mayor said.

Ultimately, Francis said, city leaders want to create a space for Millcreek residents to "live, work, play, shop and eat, but also maintain the integrity and character of the surrounding neighborhoods."

Silvestrini said most residents have been positive, thanking city leaders for thinking ahead. But there has also been some concern from residents near the area.

"I hear all the time, 'Don't make this like Sugar House,'" Silvestrini said. "But I always have to ask — what is it that you don't like about Sugar House?"

The mayor said cities can help stave off traffic problems and other issues that come with population growth by planning ahead — which is exactly what he and other city leaders hope to do.

That's why the mayor said he hopes residents will attend Monday's hearing to help shape the area's future. He said the city has sent out more than 350 mailers to residents in surrounding neighborhoods to get the word out.

The aim is to write an ordinance by the end of the summer. But from then, the redevelopment will take years, the mayor said.

"We want to make sure we're not out of step with what our residents want," he said.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 7:41 AM

It's too bad that Millcreek doesn't own the Brickyard Shopping Plaza itself. I think a redesign of that area will work better if it also incorporates a more pedestrian and transit-friendly redesign of Brickyard. Hopefully that's something that Salt Lake City will consider in the near future as they see what Millcreek plans for that area.

Then again, Brickyard seems to be doing quite well in comparison to other suburban-style "power centers". Storefronts rarely stay vacant for long there. That may lessen the incentive to redevelop it.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 12:15 PM

Park City, Park East II - Multi-use developments allow opportunity for businesses

The Park Record - Carolyn Webber - May 7, 2018 https://www.parkrecord.com/news/busi...or-businesses/

...Park City Brewery and several other businesses are filling spots in Park East II, a new multi-use development that can be used as living, commercial or retail space, said Derek Erickson, the developer of the units. The first of the 48 anticipated units are under construction and expected to be completed in the fall. It is located on the east side of U.S. 40 at 4554 North Forest Dale Road.

The units are zoned for service commercial, which allows Erickson to cater to multiple individuals and organizations. So far, there will be a software business, a construction company and a car and motorcycle collector to accompany the brewery.

"It has really run the gamut," Erickson said.

The units have a footprint of 1,800 square feet and can be anywhere from one to three levels in height. Those who purchase a unit must buy it in its entirety.

Jared Higgins, a general contractor at the construction company I-Build Utah, plans to use his unit for a warehouse, offices and a little apartment above.

The zoning classification allows for an "accessory dwelling," Erickson said. Business owners or employees can live in the space, but the living area must remain under 1,000 square feet in size...

The Park East II development is currently under construction in Quinn's Junction. When completed, the space will be used for commercial, retail and residential use.

The interior of the units at Park East II. They have a footprint of 1,800 square feet.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 15, 2019 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 12:38 PM

Park City, Marketplace Commons - New mixed-use development proposed near U.S. 40 and Silver Summit

Park Record - Angelique McNaughton - May 7, 2018 - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/summ...silver-summit/

...Summit County's newest proposed mixed-use development would be located at the Silver Summit roundabout, where Silver Creek drive and Old Highway 40 intersect. The development would be comprised of two sites: 15 acres at the corner of the Home Depot roundabout and about 4 acres at the junction of Promontory Road and Silver Creek Drive, according to the application Marketplace at Silver Creek LLC submitted to the Planning Department on March 13.

Marketplace Commons would include 178 residential units and 98,000 square feet of potential restaurant, retail, office and live/work spaces. The area would be anchored by a 62,000-square-foot grocery store that could be built in two phases.

The developers are proposing a brew pub, micro hotel, retail complex and drug store, according to Henry Sigg, a principal with Marketplace at Silver Creek LLC. A parking garage with up to 500 spaces, as well as a natural amphitheater and stage area, are also proposed at the site.

"The timing is so perfect for this," Sigg said. "Another market in that location will ease a lot of pressure and provide a lot of need, and create a tremendous sense of community gathering at this location in relation to the new preserve site and retail uses we are proposing there."

A rendering shows what the Marketplace Commons development would look like if it is approved for the corner near the intersection of Silver Creek Drive and U.S. 40.
The plans show the project would include a grocery store, micro hotel and amphitheater.

As part of the project, the developers are seeking to increase height allowances for the acceptance of transfer density housing units currently owned by the county

"As the developer, our opinion and, we feel that the consensus of the community, would be that the Silver Summit area is underserviced for the residents," Sigg said. "With the onset of the Silver Creek Village Center and some of the stuff going on out there, our vision for the property is to create a mixed-use development with retail and housing that provides critically needed services to that side of the Basin."

Sigg said the goal is to provide these services in an area that can draw traffic away from Kimball Junction...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 12:58 PM

Park City, Summit County’s construction season commences in the Snyderville Basin

Park Record - Angelique McNaughton - May 7, 2018 - https://www.parkrecord.com/news/summ...erville-basin/

Summit County planners are gearing up for what is anticipated to be a hectic construction season this year with several projects, including some that will produce affordable housing, expected to break ground throughout the Snyderville Basin, according to Pat Putt, Summit County community development director.

If 2017 was the year for granting development permits, this year planners are preparing for that to turn into projects that will be constructed, Putt said, adding that the building season has already started in earnest...

...Several projects are already underway in the Basin and at the Canyons Village at Park City Mountain Resort, including Quarry Springs at the entrance of the Pinebrook neighborhood and Lift, a 61-unit project adjacent to the Sunrise Lift at the Canyons Village.

Construction is expected to commence on at least four more projects at the Canyons over the next couple of months. The construction is spurred by the Summit County Council's 2017 approval of the new Canyons Village Master Plan.

The plan allows for the reconfiguration of approximately 2.3 million square feet of development in the upper and lower village. The change in layout of the base area will include more hotels, a parking garage, work force housing and additional amenities for guests.

The projects will produce:

• 42 multi-family units at the base area

• A 144-unit micro-hotel in the upper villagedetails below)

• A multi-family project with a 48,000-square-foot footprint on Frostwood Drive

• 30 units on White Pine Canyon Road

Construction crews continued work on Friday at Quarry Springs, a project that is expected to produce 68 units at the entrance of the Pinebrook neighborhood. Building season has commenced in Summit County, with ground expected to break on nearly 10 projects.

Putt said it is feasible that the Canyons Village Management Association will also submit a plan to meet the affordable housing requirement now that the housing agreements have been worked out. The Canyons Village Management Association is required to provide housing for 1,100 employees.

"It's very possible we will see them submit their affordable housing project for a review and a development permit," he said. "If all the planets lined up and that got through, it is highly possible that we could see some of the work down on the parking lots for their employee housing."

Other projects that will produce affordable housing include Discovery Core, approved for the area just south of Kilby Road and the Weilenmann School of Discovery, and Silver Creek Village Center, a 240-acre residential and commercial town center slated southeast of the Interstate 80 and U.S. 40 interchange. Discovery Core will provide 97 units, with 30 earmarked as affordable. It has been already been approved.

Mountainlands Community Housing Trust is expected to begin building 95 affordable units within the Silver Creek Village Center. Mountainlands Community Housing Trust is a nonprofit organization advocating for affordable housing in Summit and Wasatch counties. But, the organization is still working its way through the development and entitlement process.

"If all goes according to plan, 150 affordable units will be under construction this year," Putt said. "Many would argue that is not enough, but at least it is moving the needle in the right direction. We are optimistic that there will be more to come."

Putt highlighted three other projects that could commence this season as well: Woodward Park City, an action sports camp slated for the hillside adjacent to Gorgoza Park; Bitner Station, a 78-unit project, with 31 affordable units, proposed for the area northwest of Bitner Road in the Basin; and the Preserve at Newpark, an eight-unit condominium project approved for the lot in front of Maxwell's East Coast Eatery.

"Another project that is waiting in the wings to happen is the housing for the Utah Olympic Park," Putt said. "I think we will see some applications, and they may want to start moving forward with at least the design and entitlements. I think they are anxious to get going."

Putt acknowledged a significant amount of development will be taking place over the next year. However, he stressed that it is "happening in the right areas." He said the county's plan for growth is predicated on the idea that it will be centralized in specific neighborhoods.

"We have to be a bit smarter and more strategic in how we direct those uses," he said. "We subscribe to the basic planning idea that the more we can mix uses and density wisely and in the right areas means we can help reduce the trips out of these areas and aren't impacting people who live in the other existing neighborhoods."

Canyons Village redevelopment underway

Replay Resorts, the master developer of the Canyons Village at Park City Mountain Resort, recently announced the second project it will construct as part of the village's reconfiguration.

Last week, more than 50 people attended a private event at Canyons Village to learn more about the Yotelpad, a 144-unit project situated in the upper village. Todd Burnette, an independent consultant with Replay Resorts, said the project fits in with the reconfiguration because it will "encourage more people to stay at Canyons Village, filling the restaurants and shops."

"It helps create that après skiing experience," he said. "One thing that we have heard a lot of is that there is not really any après skiing experience. Yes, there is Main Street, but there is no real ski village where at the end of the day it's a party. That's not for everybody, but this helps create that space where there are more people."...

Replay Resorts will begin constructing its second project -Yotelpad- as part of the reconfiguration of the Canyons Village at Park City Mountain Resort in the summer. The 144-unit condominium project will be located in the upper village.

The condominiums will range in size between 340 square feet and 1,000 square feet, with the units starting at $275,000.

The fully furnished units are designed to be "small and compact," with extensive amenities, such as outdoor pools, fitness and game rooms, and communal spaces, Burnette said. Each unit will be equipped with bathrooms and kitchenettes.

"When we started this, we were trying to determine what could be unique for the market and in Park City," he said. "We noticed it is becoming increasingly difficult to buy in Los Angeles, New York and Vancouver, so what is happening in those markets is the apartments and condos are going smaller and having more amenities."...

Last edited by delts145; Jan 15, 2019 at 9:34 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:19 AM
The Drifter

My wife works at IMC in Murray and I have watched this location from about the time the foundation was poured. From how it was being constructed I figured from the start that it was two buildings being built and that they were going to be apartments. Drove by today and saw that the first building had topped out at 6 floors.

My question about it is, what is it called and who is developing it? I have yet to notice any renderings or other information listed around the property other than banners for the construction company.

I would also love to see information on the office building going in on State Street next to IMC.

Unknown_Apartments by Steven Fidler, on Flickr

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:09 PM

Proponents speak out on revised Cottonwood Mall site proposal

Cottonwood/Holladay Journal - By Aspen Perry - http://www.cottonwoodholladayjournal...-site-proposal

As residents filled the auditorium of Bonneville Jr. High, during the first public hearing since the revised proposal was submittal by Ivory/Woodbury, there appeared to be a shift in public opinion as more residents spoke in favor of the revised proposal, than opposition.

John Walbrecht, President of Black Diamond Equipment and a Holladay resident, was among those who spoke in favor of the development, as he explained the hope of being able to move Black Diamond headquarters and retail to the proposed development.

“We are a big believer, this mixed-use opportunity… creates a vibrant market… we believe this is the best use of this space,” Walbrecht said to the council during the April 5 meeting.

Under the revised plan the commercial development building heights have come down to meet the previously agreed upon 90 foot height, in addition to residence density being reduced from a potential maximum of 1,268 units to 1,060—a number that could further decrease, if there is more of a demand for commercial during the development of the site.

Under the revised proposal, the project phases have also shifted, with commercial development, homes, and trail closest to Highland Drive set to be developed in phase one of a three phase build out...

Proposed building phase by Ivory/Woodbury. (Aspen Perry/City Journals)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West