HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 10:27 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I have a female francophone bisexual friend who is about 10 years younger than me and she will say "mange ma plotte" to both males and females as a joke or when someone jokingly insults her. The word "plotte" is definitely used in Northeastern Ontario.
Julie Doucet had a whole series on that in the 90s...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:21 PM

A good real-life example of the “two solitudes” yesterday evening. I had about two hours of driving to do (Montreal-Sherbrooke). Listened to English CBC news first (it was the hour), then decided I preferred music. I’m picky so when looking for music I always change stations often in search of half-decent stuff. Cowboys Fringants music is of course very expected. Even on two stations simultaneously. Even on three. After a while though, I couldn’t help but notice every single music station without exception was playing their stuff only, so obviously this was 100% not normal (I did vaguely remember their singer had some cancer), and I was sure he had passed — and turned out to be right.

By contrast, a couple years ago, English CBC seemed to think the cancer/passing of some guy from some band I had never heard about, was somehow national news. That also struck me at the time.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
A good real-life example of the “two solitudes” yesterday evening. I had about two hours of driving to do (Montreal-Sherbrooke). Listened to English CBC news first (it was the hour), then decided I preferred music. I’m picky so when looking for music I always change stations often in search of half-decent stuff. Cowboys Fringants music is of course very expected. Even on two stations simultaneously. Even on three. After a while though, I couldn’t help but notice every single music station without exception was playing their stuff only, so obviously this was 100% not normal (I did vaguely remember their singer had some cancer), and I was sure he had passed — and turned out to be right.

By contrast, a couple years ago, English CBC seemed to think the cancer/passing of some guy from some band I had never heard about, was somehow national news. That also struck me at the time.
They've talked about it in the Le Monde (article is on their main webpage today, and it's the 6th most read article in Le Monde today, ahead of even the Mayor of Paris's political scandal). You say Anglo-Canadian media don't talk about it. Quite telling.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 1:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In fairness, a few of the Canadian anglo media did talk about it, especially their outlets that serve Montreal.

Though this morning at 8 am basically all the radio stations in Quebec played the same Cowboys Fringants song at the same time. All of them except for the anglo stations as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Acajack; Nov 16, 2023 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 2:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was aware of the story in Moncton NB (from anglophone media).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was aware of the story in Moncton NB (from anglophone media).
I assume you're a CBC listener. This is the type of thing that the CBC would mention even nationally, though obviously they wouldn't do near-blanket coverage like the francophone media do.

Similarly, when Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip died, Radio-Canada mentioned it I do recall, but they didn't have continuous breaking news coverage on it, nor did they cover the memorials at length.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 2:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Karl Tremblay has been number one on Twitter trending in Canada overall since last night.

Followed by:

Osama Ben Laden
Cocaine
Hamas HQ

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 2:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In fairness, a few of the Canadian anglo media did talk about it, especially their outlets that serve Montreal.

Though this morning at 8 am basically all the radio stations in Quebec played the same Cowboys Fringants song at the same time. All of them except for the anglo stations as far as I can tell.
Did the recent passing of Gordon Lightfoot get a lot of attention (and his songs, a lot of airplay), on French Quebec media?

Back in the day (a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away) I sure paid attention to what Mitsou was up to...of course, only because of her 'musical talents'

Bye Bye mon Cowboy (Fringant?)! Bye Bye mon Rodeo!

Regardez les Chinois!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 2:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Did the recent passing of Gordon Lightfoot get a lot of attention (and his songs, a lot of airplay), on French Quebec media?
Some mentions but very brief, I'd say. Similar to what Karl Tremblay is getting from the anglo media.

I'm not really deploring this BTW. What I do deplore though is a kind of hypocrisy on the part of some whereby they pretend that the Tragically Hip (for example) and Les Cowboys Fringants are somehow part of a single national Canadian culture.

Even francophone federalists don't even think that, and don't pretend (for political reasons) that Alice Munro or Stan Rogers are part of their culture.

(Note that I know a lot of these figures because I grew up in the ROC and went to school in English for many years. Your average Quebecer would not know them.)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
CBC News in both Montreal and Sherbrooke (respectively 88.5 and 91.7 FM), neither said anything about it yesterday evening in their hourly news, I guarantee it.

Maybe they’ve “smelled the coffee” this morning. You can’t possibly claim to cover “Quebec news” while ignoring THE Front Page News of the day!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Karl Tremblay has been number one on Twitter trending in Canada overall since last night.

Followed by:

Osama Ben Laden
Cocaine
Hamas HQ

Osama Ben Laden?!?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Osama Ben Laden?!?
In the past 24 hours one of the hottest trends on TikTok is people posting that they've read Osama Ben Laden's "Letter to America" from 20 years ago, and them having a eureka moment that he was actually right all along!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Followed by:

Osama Ben Laden
Cocaine
Very mid-2000s vibes.

Is it throwback Thursday?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I suppose it can fluctuate from hour to hour or minute to minute, but I've read that about half the top 50 songs on Canadian iTunes right now are Cowboys Fringants songs.

Not bad for a band three quarters of the country has never even heard of.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
CBC News in both Montreal and Sherbrooke (respectively 88.5 and 91.7 FM), neither said anything about it yesterday evening in their hourly news, I guarantee it.

Maybe they’ve “smelled the coffee” this morning. You can’t possibly claim to cover “Quebec news” while ignoring THE Front Page News of the day!
In Moncton, the mention was on the local CBC morning show. The host of the show has a weekly segment where they interview the (bilingual anglophone) director of the Capitol Theatre about upcoming events. She (the director) mentioned his passing and said what a shame it was. His band has apparently played the Capitol Theatre a number of times.

Moncton of course is one of those rare cities in the country where there is true intersectionality between francophone and anglophone culture.

He was quite young. What did he die of???

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
In Moncton, the mention was on the local CBC morning show. The host has a weekly segment where they interview the (bilingual anglophone) director of the Capitol Theatre about upcoming events. She mentioned his passing and said what a shame it was. His band has apparently played the Capitol Theatre a number of times.

Moncton of course is one of those rare cities in the country where there is true intersectionality between francophone and anglophone culture.
INTERSECTIONALITY?!?!?!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
INTERSECTIONALITY?!?!?!
A crappy but occasionally useful term (if you can rinse the wokeness out of it).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
A crappy but occasionally useful term (if you can rinse the wokeness out of it).
D'ya still love me?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
D'ya still love me?
You're fine. Your politics however can occasionally be off-putting.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 3:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You're fine. Your politics however can occasionally be off-putting.
OK so I guess that unconditional love will have to wait then!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada