HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:24 PM

Good time for a strike with the Covid-19 reaching Ottawa, though it might have time to spread by that time.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:26 PM

I am not sure it is related to Covid-19, but I noticed buses are less packed than usual this week. About 20% less I would say.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I am not sure it is related to Covid-19, but I noticed the buses are less packed than usual this week. About 20% less I would say.
We noticed that on Monday and Tuesday (train and bus, in the morning at least). We drove in yesterday and today, again traffic volumes much lower in the morning, and maybe in the afternoon too.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We noticed that on Monday and Tuesday (train and bus, in the morning at least). We drove in yesterday and today, again traffic volumes much lower in the morning, and maybe in the afternoon too.
I am starting to think this is not a coincidence and the impact of the virus might be starting to show. My bus skipped Pimisi station entirely yesterday as there was not a single person waiting at the shelter, and there would usually be 10-15 people waiting there every morning. Route 61 yesterday afternoon was at about 50% capacity during peak hours. Route 75 this morning was at about 80% capacity with 4 or 5 seats available for the entire duration of the trip whereas every seat is usually occupied and 15-20 persons have to stand up before it even leaves Barrhaven. Maybe it is too early to say it's a trend but I have definitely noticed a difference this week.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
What about having a few bottles of hand sanitizer at the front door and temporarily banning backdoor boarding? Then again the few bottles will be out by the time the entire trip is done...
You could also issue surgical gloves to all passengers. Kabuki comes in many forms ...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
I am starting to think this is not a coincidence and the impact of the virus might be starting to show. My bus skipped Pimisi station entirely yesterday as there was not a single person waiting at the shelter, and there would usually be 10-15 people waiting there every morning. Route 61 yesterday afternoon was at about 50% capacity during peak hours. Route 75 this morning was at about 80% capacity with 4 or 5 seats available for the entire duration of the trip whereas every seat is usually occupied and 15-20 persons have to stand up before it even leaves Barrhaven. Maybe it is too early to say it's a trend but I have definitely noticed a difference this week.
It's also March Break for Quebec this week and Ontario next week. Lots of people away, so it's hard to know how much of the reduction is just seasonal.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it, but would it make sense to turn the Vanier Parkway into more of a BRT route? There is some space for road widening to segregate a proper Transitway, or at the very least install bus-only lanes along it. You could run it as an extension of the SE Transitway, and it could go up the Vanier Parkway, turn left at St. Patrick, and follow St. Patrick until King Edward and then down King Edward and then terminates at Rideau Centre.

At the very least, this would be an improvement to transit in Vanier.
I have suggested making Route 9 and 10 and two way linked loop.

A second possibility would have Route 97 or 98 linked with Route 9, adding a bit more redundancy into downtown on a permanent basis.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 5:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
It's also March Break for Quebec this week and Ontario next week. Lots of people away, so it's hard to know how much of the reduction is just seasonal.
Quebec's March Break was actually last week.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec's March Break was actually last week.
Sorry, my mistake as they are usually back to back. That said, the slow down usually covers a few days before and after the actual break, so I suspect it's a factor.

I would have been leaving for Florida today had I not canceled the trip.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
I am not sure it is related to Covid-19, but I noticed buses are less packed than usual this week. About 20% less I would say.
Saturday afternoon, I don't think I saw any of the core-area routes carrying more than about 8 people at any given time, and watching the trains near U of O, there were maybe 6 to 10 people per car, on a sample of four cars (one train in each direction.)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Saturday afternoon, I don't think I saw any of the core-area routes carrying more than about 8 people at any given time, and watching the trains near U of O, there were maybe 6 to 10 people per car, on a sample of four cars (one train in each direction.)
Based on how things progressed last week and given that it is March break, I imagine buses will be at around 40-60% capacity during peak hours this week.

Edit: I just saw my bus pass (I am teleworking this week) and there was no more than 4 or 5 people on board.

Last edited by le calmar; Mar 16, 2020 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 11:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OC Transpo forgoes cash fares in mandating backdoor boarding of buses

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 16, 2020

OC Transpo wants all customers to board conventional buses at the rear doors, except for people who need to use the front doors for accessibility purposes, impacting revenue normally received from cash fares.

Ottawa’s public transit agency on Monday laid out its plans in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic, saying it won’t be accepting cash or paper transfers since there is no mechanism to accept those fares at the back doors.

“We believe that the potential loss of revenue associated with this change in practice is a necessary cost to protect the safety of our staff and our customers,” according to transportation GM John Manconi, who delivered Transpo’s plan to council and transit commission members in a memo.

The memo didn’t estimate how much revenue Transpo could lose because of the backdoor boarding order.

Transpo is rolling out tape to separate the bus drivers and the accessible areas from the rest of the passenger seating in the buses, the memo said.

There will also be a change to the supplementary bus service that’s been propping up the unreliable LRT system.

Starting Tuesday, there will be no supplementary (S1) bus service. The buses will be redeployed across the transit network. Transpo said the move is in response to ridership numbers, which are expected to decrease as more people work from home and students stay home from school. Transpo is retaining the option to restart the S1 bus service if it’s warranted in the future.

The agency is also increasing cleaning of buses and trains.

The driver cabs on buses will receive daily wipe-downs using an antiviral disinfectant and the daily cleaning schedules will include sanitizing customer handrails and stanchion posts, including those on stairwells. The agency is providing disinfectant for non-revenue vehicles, such as special constable cars.

When it comes to rail operations, more cleaning staff will be deployed to the Confederation Line and Trillium Line. All surfaces will be cleaned before going into service and they will be disinfected each night, the memo says.

“As more resources become available, we will move to performing targeted cleaning of rail vehicles while in service. This will include wipe downs of surfaces that experience regular touching such as stanchions, hand straps and hand holds,” Manconi told council members and transit commissioners.

More cleaning staff are being sent to the LRT stations during the day and at night and there will be an overnight deep clean on “all touched surfaces,” which includes vending machines, handrails, doorknobs, door handles, elevators, escalators, washrooms, glass and floors, the memo said.

“Additional resources are also being brought in to do daytime cleaning in stations with the target of cleaning high traffic areas in each station every eight hours,” Manconi said in the memo.

There will also be daily sanitizing on Para Transpo vehicles. According to the memo, local taxi companies, some of which provide Para Transpo services, have said they, too, are increasing cleaning.

Fare vending machines and service counters are receiving enhanced cleaning, the memo said.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...rding-of-buses

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 11:29 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

First the buses, now LRT will end front-door access

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 19, 2020

OC Transpo will no longer allow LRT Line 1 passengers to board the train through the door that is closest to the train operator.

The new measure is designed to protect drivers from infection.

There is already a similar system with Transpo buses. All passengers except those with accessibility issues must board through the rear door.

Transpo’s new memo says:

“We are installing tape to block the doors and area closest to the operator cab from the rest of the train;

“Prominent signage will be placed on the doors closest to the operator cab at both ends of the train to inform customers of the change;

“Customers will still be able to use Cooperative seating areas in all parts of the train;

“Customers with bicycles should use the next closest door at the front of the train;

“We will be adding bicycle stickers to the appropriate door.”

tspears@postmedia.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...nt-door-access

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 5:18 PM

Greenboro Park n Ride was about 98% empty when a drove by after 9 am this morning. Normally, it is at capacity at that time of day.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Greenboro Park n Ride was about 98% empty when a drove by after 9 am this morning. Normally, it is at capacity at that time of day.
Wow.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 4:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OC Transpo adjusts service in response to ridership drop

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: 14 hours ago • 2 minute read

OC Transpo has announced that it is adjusting service following a 70 to 90-per cent drop in customer volumes in the wake of COVID-19 social distancing measures.

A memo from OC Transpo boss John Manconi said the transportation authority would maintain service to all neighbourhoods and to essential services such as grocery stores, pharmacies and hospitals “at levels that will still allow customers to safely space themselves out on trains and buses and maintaining social distancing continues to be a priority.”

The changes will affect the O-Train, bus and Para Transpo service and were made in consultation with Transpo unions, said the memo.

The changes start this week, but there are different start dates for different modes of transportation:

Conventional bus: As of Monday, March 30: Service will continue to be provided in all neighborhoods. Weekday service will move to Saturday service levels on many routes. Many routes, which normally operate only on weekdays, will continue to run but at modified service levels.

Rural weekly shopper services will continue as usual. The first trip in the morning will be later than usual on many routes. Saturday and Sunday service will operate as usual.

Complete schedules and details of changes on specific routes will be available later this week on octranspo.com.

O-Train Line 1, the Confederation Line: As of Friday, March 27: On Fridays, service will run until 1:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, and overnight bus service will be available from that time. Otherwise, service start and end times will remain the same. Trains will arrive every 6 to 8 minutes at peak periods and every 10 to 16 minutes at other times of the day and on weekends. The number of dedicated R1 buses is being reduced to align with changed service levels on Line 1 and staffing levels of the red-vested O-Train ambassadors have been scaled back.

O-Train Line 2, the Trillium Line: As of Wednesday, March 25: Trains will arrive every 15 minutes at all times, service start and end times will remain the same. Tape will be installed on Line 2 trains to block the area closest to the operator cab from the rest of the train.

Para Transpo: As of Tuesday March 24: All trip requests made a day in advance are being accommodated. Most trips are being operated with only one customer on board, to allow for social distancing. Service levels are being managed according to demand.

OC Transpo said it is monitoring ridership levels and is ready to adjust again to protect the health and safety of staff and customers, said the memo.

“If operators report crowding on any services, we are ready to respond with spare vehicles. Some transit customers may experience longer walks, longer wait times, longer travel times or additional transfers as part of their trip. This plan may be adjusted as the COVID-19 situation evolves.”

Metrolinx has also extended the deadline to cancel autorenewal of April monthly transit passes to Friday, March 27 at 11:59 pm.

“This will give customers more time to cancel their monthly pass, should they wish. Customers can change their autorenew settings at Prestocard.ca.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-3e6517170766/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 12:44 PM

Good. It gives bus drivers a break. I just hope they don't do anything stupid like laying a bunch off, or threatening to lay anyone off, after spending months trying to rebuild the work force.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Good. It gives bus drivers a break. I just hope they don't do anything stupid like laying a bunch off, or threatening to lay anyone off, after spending months trying to rebuild the work force.
I read something yesterday about the new federal benefit being designed to encourage employers to not lay-off employees in that people are eligible to receive the payments if they are not receiving income, even if they haven't been laid off. So that is likely the route they will go.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I read something yesterday about the new federal benefit being designed to encourage employers to not lay-off employees in that people are eligible to receive the payments if they are not receiving income, even if they haven't been laid off. So that is likely the route they will go.
I remember hearing that too. Hoping that will be the case, and not just for bus drivers.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:07 PM

With bus drivers, keeping them on payroll but scaling shifts down to zero is logical. They can collect federal benefits for the time being and they retain their health benefits and seniority.

I'd suggest letting any bus driver volunteer for this. Some might want to stay at home. If there's still excess supply of labour, then pick people based on some formula. Negotiations with the union are critical.

IIRC, the union's contract is near its end and negotiations are supposed to start; an agreement between the city and the union to temporarily extend the old contract by a few months to cover this crisis would be logical.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation