HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 3:57 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
You need help.

This comes across as pathological, seriously.
Yup, pretty gross.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:04 PM
victory in near

very gross

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 4:06 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Yeah. That post is all kinds of messed up. 'Torture cells', 'waterboardings'?

The dude blocked traffic a few times. He hasn't perpetuated physical violence on anyone. He believes in social disobedience to get his point across. I may not agree with some of his methods, but he doesn't deserve to be tortured.

Get a grip. You come off far more disturbed and dangerous in that post than this guy does.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 5:08 PM

Friendly reminder that Canada won't deport anyone unless they're convicted of a crime with a prison sentence roughly longer than 6 months, and the US won't deport anyone unless they're convicted of a felony or a "moral turpitude" crime.

"Moral turpitude" of course meaning "an act or behavior that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community". Kind of like a certain post previously in this thread.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Friendly reminder that Canada won't deport anyone unless they're convicted of a crime with a prison sentence roughly longer than 6 months, and the US won't deport anyone unless they're convicted of a felony or a "moral turpitude" crime.

"Moral turpitude" of course meaning "an act or behavior that gravely violates the sentiment or accepted standard of the community". Kind of like a certain post previously in this thread.
That's for permanent residents. It's a different games for punks on student visas.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 5:36 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
That's for permanent residents. It's a different games for punks on student visas.
Nope. That section of the Charter specifically says "everyone".

it can be argued that this protest is impeding or blocking lawful activities, however, I would imagine this would get nowhere in front of a judge.

as a resident and commuter of the north shore, having to suffer a couple times a year in protests is a small price to pay to protect all our rights. Especially when the goals of the protest is understandable.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
so happy this douche is in custody. I have been emailing the Pakistan Embassy letting them know this guy will be home soon and to have a torture cell reserved for him. I will sleep very well knowing this guy is being water boarded 24/7 soon

Hell I think I will make up some Pakistan national security issues that Zain Haq was up to. "He tried to recruit me to overthrow the government in Pakistan. He is mobilizing people from all over to the cause. He has dozens of operatives working in Pakistan right now" hahaha I bet that will go over very well. If anyone can join please do >> https://www.pakconsulate.ca

muriel by bcborn, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

muriel by bcborn, on Flickr
The issue isn’t Zain Haq, it’s what’s wrong with people like you. Perhaps you should address that.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
Nope. That section of the Charter specifically says "everyone".

it can be argued that this protest is impeding or blocking lawful activities, however, I would imagine this would get nowhere in front of a judge.

as a resident and commuter of the north shore, having to suffer a couple times a year in protests is a small price to pay to protect all our rights. Especially when the goals of the protest is understandable.
Then how do you get deported for overworking?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5269138/i...n-work-permit/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 3:19 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Yes, well the obvous flaw in that logic, LogicBomb, is that one does not seek asylum in the country in which one is at risk of becoming a "political prisoner"...

It's a flawed attempted but the guy is trying...

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/leader-of-traf...tion-1.5954475

Quote:
The 21-year-old activist said he could face political persecution if he is indeed deported back to Pakistan.

“It's very likely because I'll obviously be engaging in similar activities if I go back, and that could obviously lead to my imprisonment, or worse,” Haq said.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The issue isn’t Zain Haq, it’s what’s wrong with people like you. Perhaps you should address that.
The issue is with people who come as guests to our country and then proceed to violate the terms of their visa. And when the offending action includes stopping people from reaching medical appointments, getting to their jobs, delaying first responders etc the offense is even worse.

I'm sure Haq can find plenty to protest about in his home country of Pakistan, if he has the guts.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:12 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The issue is with people who come as guests to our country and then proceed to violate the terms of their visa. And when the offending action includes stopping people from reaching medical appointments, getting to their jobs, delaying first responders etc the offense is even worse.

I'm sure Haq can find plenty to protest about in his home country of Pakistan, if he has the guts.
What sort of consequential actions entitles one person to calling Canada "our country". Being born here? Living here for 3 to 5 years? Having a Canadian parent? IMO, citizenship is overrated. Paying Canadian income taxes, supporting local businesses, contributing to community or professional organizations, and engaging in public discourse is all more important that than the many technicalities which make someone a citizen. Now, foreign interference is a whole other can of worms, but I don't believe there is any indication that Haq is here to cause trouble on behalf of a foreign government.

If I had to guess, the one thing Haq doesn't lack is guts. That trait may only be surpassed in quantity by his persistence. Even if you don't agree with his cause, you have to grudgingly admit he is working damn hard to get his message across. It's ironic that a number of keyboard warriors on this forum are trying to slander Haq's character when they actually only have an issue with his methods and maybe his cause (and maybe his nationality).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
It's a flawed attempted but the guy is trying...
That's bizarre reasoning. "I need asylum here because I'd be subject to imprisonment there if I kept committing the same crimes I'm committing here".

Would we really be stupid enough to fall for it?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
What sort of consequential actions entitles one person to calling Canada "our country". Being born here? Living here for 3 to 5 years? Having a Canadian parent? IMO, citizenship is overrated. Paying Canadian income taxes, supporting local businesses, contributing to community or professional organizations, and engaging in public discourse is all more important that than the many technicalities which make someone a citizen. Now, foreign interference is a whole other can of worms, but I don't believe there is any indication that Haq is here to cause trouble on behalf of a foreign government.

If I had to guess, the one thing Haq doesn't lack is guts. That trait may only be surpassed in quantity by his persistence. Even if you don't agree with his cause, you have to grudgingly admit he is working damn hard to get his message across. It's ironic that a number of keyboard warriors on this forum are trying to slander Haq's character when they actually only have an issue with his methods and maybe his cause (and maybe his nationality).
Pretty sure "our country" by definition doesn't apply to those here on a student visa. And thankfully he has probably screwed up any future attempt to use that student status as a path to Canadian citizenship.

As to guts, there is no shortage of things to protest in Pakistan, environmentally, politically etc etc. Wonder why he didn't do that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 6:28 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
That's bizarre reasoning. "I need asylum here because I'd be subject to imprisonment there if I kept committing the same crimes I'm committing here".

Would we really be stupid enough to fall for it?
Believe it or not...This guy will have a large following, receive lots of funding and have lots of advocates trying to help him permanently stay here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:32 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Then how do you get deported for overworking?

https://globalnews.ca/news/5269138/i...n-work-permit/
over working is not protected by the Charter. That's an immigration issue (and an extremely common one)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Believe it or not...This guy will have a large following, receive lots of funding and have lots of advocates trying to help him permanently stay here.
I'd lay good odds he'll claim asylum, because if we were to send him packing, he'd claim persecution in his country of origin.

If that's the case, can we we put him in an asylum?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
over working is not protected by the Charter. That's an immigration issue (and an extremely common one)
Yeah for some reason we've decided that "stealing jobs from domestic workers" is something that needs the hammer dropped, but civil disobedience and non-criminal record arrests really aren't.

I'm sure you'd agree that a student who parties too hard on Granville and becomes a public nuisance and spends a night in the drunk tank probably shouldn't be deported for it.

I'm sure you'd agree that a student who jimmies the lock of the university pool to go swimming with their friends at 2am probably shouldn't be deported for it.

Now, Zain here seems to definitely be pushing the line with multiple arrests and week long detentions, but it's not as though this is without precedent.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 9:28 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Yeah for some reason we've decided that "stealing jobs from domestic workers" is something that needs the hammer dropped, but civil disobedience and non-criminal record arrests really aren't.

I'm sure you'd agree that a student who parties too hard on Granville and becomes a public nuisance and spends a night in the drunk tank probably shouldn't be deported for it.

I'm sure you'd agree that a student who jimmies the lock of the university pool to go swimming with their friends at 2am probably shouldn't be deported for it.

Now, Zain here seems to definitely be pushing the line with multiple arrests and week long detentions, but it's not as though this is without precedent.
Personally, i commend this guy for risking everything for something he believes whole heartedly in. saving the environment is an understandable and laudable goal.

Civil disobedience is a tricky thing. Perhaps he would get more traction if he was a nudist bomber like the old Doukhobors. I jest of course but that time in history seemed way more interesting. now we are all worried about traffic jams....

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:31 PM

I was driving along the Barnet Highway a few days ago, and noticed that some of the lighting has a purplish tone. Sorry if this has been discussed at length but does anyone have info on what sort of lighting tech is in use there and wht it is only in a few spots?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure