HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
Rumors that they are looking to lease 250,000 sq ft.

With Checkr, Amazon, Salesforce (?), and many others taking big chunks of space, you have to wonder if T2 can't get out of the ground in this cycle, it probably never will.

https://businessden.com/2019/04/23/s...wntown-wework/
250,000 square feet is a significant sum. It seems that all of the commercial momentum is in RiNo now that Union Station is pretty much built out. I don't see anything starting in River Mile during this market cycle. I'm surprised that there haven't been more office tower proposals in the central business district. From a transit-oriented development standpoint, it seems like there are plenty of surface lots near the 18th and California and 20th and Welton stations.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanT View Post
The good times on Colfax looks as if it is about to be torn down. There is a
Fence around the site. Any ideas if something is to be built here?
Their sign said they are just renovating it, unfortunately.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Like most hotel brands Courtyard has a typical floor plan although exteriors can vary by location. They're often pared with an adjacent lower price-point Marriott hotel so this sort of fits that mold.
Interesting. Thanks for following up.

I'm disappointed with how the facade of the HGI on Chestnut turned out. Early renderings had it as a blue exterior, but obviously they went with white. I know it's part of their brand, but a brick exterior (like The Grand further west on Chestnut) would have looked much better.

Maybe it will fit in better when they announce whatever is being built directly to the west of the HGI.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:46 PM

Drove by La Loma today. There is a tower crane on site. It's laying on the ground unassembled. But, it's there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:47 PM

AND... It's blue!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:50 PM

Nothing development related, but I was driving through Aurora the other day and decided that you guys may appreciate this view.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:53 PM

I've never seen any numbers, but is our market really demanding all these hotel rooms? Or are they just building for future specs?

Not complaining at all, build them all! It just seems as if there is a lot of hotels being built lately and I'm wondering when we will hit the territory of over-flooded

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Their sign said they are just renovating it, unfortunately.
Ahhh, that’s a bummer but not surprising. Thank you for the info!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passportphoto View Post
Drove by La Loma today. There is a tower crane on site. It's laying on the ground unassembled. But, it's there.
I think that’s always been there

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
I think that’s always been there
Yeah, I also saw that crane months ago but it was red I thought so who
Knows?!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I also saw that crane months ago but it was red I thought so who
Knows?!
It's been there since they demolished the old La Loma building 18 months ago or more. I do know the design is progressing through the city, and that the new version looks much nicer than the previous proposal. Haven't heard anything recently though.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 9:23 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 9:37 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
No, I believe there is an updated design floating around the internet somewhere.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 9:41 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
250,000 square feet is a significant sum. It seems that all of the commercial momentum is in RiNo now that Union Station is pretty much built out. I don't see anything starting in River Mile during this market cycle. I'm surprised that there haven't been more office tower proposals in the central business district. From a transit-oriented development standpoint, it seems like there are plenty of surface lots near the 18th and California and 20th and Welton stations.
Block 162 is in the CBD and will be dumping 600,000 SF of office space on the market at the end of 2020. With all the new office space generated over the past few years in Union Station and the over 1 million SF planned for 38th & Blake/RiNo it may be enough for the market to handle for now. Not to mention all the new office space that has been built or planned in the Tech Center.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Block 162 is in the CBD and will be dumping 600,000 SF of office space on the market at the end of 2020. With all the new office space generated over the past few years in Union Station and the over 1 million SF planned for 38th & Blake/RiNo it may be enough for the market to handle for now. Not to mention all the new office space that has been built or planned in the Tech Center.
At the end of the day, I think we will conclude that the amount of core "downtown" office space added this cycle was disappointing. This was one of the great booms in Denver history, and the "legacy" downtown added a lot of hotels, but by my measure, only three real office buildings.

Of course, a huge part of this was that Denver had an embarrassment of riches - riches in the form of tons of readily accessible, immediately adjacent to the existing urban footprint, that was develop-able and next to a brand, spanking new transit system. Thus, much of the development energy in this cycle went to areas which were not part of the traditional downtown - Union Station and RiNo. Given the amount of relatively affordable land still in RiNo and the ready access to transit, that may continue.

This has lead to a "core" downtown less dense than it might otherwise have been (had development focused only there), but this trend has broadened the size and scope of the core commercial area to a much larger area than it was in 10 years ago. Opportunities like The River Mile may continue the trend.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
At the end of the day, I think we will conclude that the amount of core "downtown" office space added this cycle was disappointing. This was one of the great booms in Denver history, and the "legacy" downtown added a lot of hotels, but by my measure, only three real office buildings.

Of course, a huge part of this was that Denver had an embarrassment of riches - riches in the form of tons of readily accessible, immediately adjacent to the existing urban footprint, that was develop-able and next to a brand, spanking new transit system. Thus, much of the development energy in this cycle went to areas which were not part of the traditional downtown - Union Station and RiNo. Given the amount of relatively affordable land still in RiNo and the ready access to transit, that may continue.

This has lead to a "core" downtown less dense than it might otherwise have been (had development focused only there), but this trend has broadened the size and scope of the core commercial area to a much larger area than it was in 10 years ago. Opportunities like The River Mile may continue the trend.
It interesting comparing the difference in development between Denver and some other major cities. Places like Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin seem to be developing much more vertically than we are despite our economy being one of the strongest in the country. However, we have a massively expanding transit system and much of the commercial development seems to be coinciding with that whether that be Union Station, RiNo, DTC or even Lone Tree.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 1:48 AM
Never Dell

One reason places go vertical is specifically to react to transportation difficulties--you can avoid commuting by living close! For example, Vancouver's lack of urban freeways seems to have helped spur hundreds of residential towers from the 60s onward.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
It interesting comparing the difference in development between Denver and some other major cities. Places like Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin seem to be developing much more vertically than we are despite our economy being one of the strongest in the country. However, we have a massively expanding transit system and much of the commercial development seems to be coinciding with that whether that be Union Station, RiNo, DTC or even Lone Tree.
I think the zoning in much of Denver plays a big role. Outside the core CBD much of Denver is C-MX-8 or 12. There are a few exceptions like Union Station, Golden Triangle and now parts of RiNo. Therefore outside of a special case like Country Club Towers you don’t see many tall buildings built.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvergotback View Post
Nothing development related, but I was driving through Aurora the other day and decided that you guys may appreciate this view.
Nice Photo! Always cool with the higher mountains like Pikes Peak are catching the sun and the rest is in darkness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West