HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 4:33 PM
Registered

^ Do you know who the architects were on that project? Did they do anything with the interiors to make it more comfortable according to "modern" standards - sound insulation, light, reworking floor plans, odors, etc? I'm sure a lot of people here would be curious to learn your experiences living in a modernized 4+1.

Also, is that a slate facade? I wasn't sure what the stone was without inspecting closely.

Thanks.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 4:52 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Valerio Dewalt Train Associates Selected For Lab Schools Expansion Project

The University of Chicago Chronicle
November 20, 2008
Vol. 28 No. 5

Architects selected for Lab Schools expansion project

By William Harms
w-harms@uchicago.edu
News Office
Two award-winning architecture firms, which include some of the nation’s top architects, have been selected to guide a major renovation and expansion project at the University’s Laboratory Schools.

The multi-year project will not only help set the course for the Laboratory Schools in coming years, but also will reflect the importance of their relationship with the University and the community. The architects are charged with maintaining and enhancing the architectural traditions of the schools, while promoting the best educational climate and demonstrating environmental sustainability.

“We have hired an outstanding design team for this important project,” said David Greene, Vice President for Strategic Initiatives and chair of architect search committee. “The Lab Schools have a distinguished tradition of providing an exceptional education that is a great source of pride for the University. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to ensure that the schools can continue to meet their highest aspirations.”

Valerio Dewalt Train Associates, a Chicago firm, will bring a broad mix of educational, institutional and commercial experience to the design team. Valerio Dewalt Train has received five American Institute of Architects Honor Awards in the past 10 years, putting it among the top 10 firms in the country.

Among the buildings the firm has designed is the Kresge Foundation building in Troy, Mich. The Chicago Chapter of the American Institute of Architecture has awarded the Kresge Foundation with three of its highest honors—the 2006 Distinguished Building Award, the 2006 Interior Architecture Award and the 2007 Sustainable Design Award.

Valerio Dewalt Train also designed the award-winning Garmin Flagship Store, 663 N. Michigan Ave. The Chicago Chapter of the AIA has awarded the building its highest recognition—the Honor Award for Interior Architecture.

The University also selected FGM Architects for the project, citing the firm’s experience on K-12 school buildings and its award-winning design credentials.

Seventy percent of FGM’s business is in educational design. Based in Oak Brook, the firm has designed and completed more than 1,000 public and private school projects in its 63-year history.

“Our entire community is eager to begin a conversation with FGM/Valerio and is excited to begin improving the learning environment for all,” said David Magill, Director of the Laboratory Schools.

The renovation and expansion are intended to make the resources of the Laboratory Schools available to University families as well as families from the community. The project will allow the student body to grow and retain its diversity and quality, while tailoring the facilities to the best educational practices for every age level.

Currently, the Laboratory Schools serve 1,763 students in nursery school through high school. The Laboratory Schools are recognized as some of the nation’s finest schools. Alumni have distinguished themselves in many walks of life.

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/081120/lab.shtml

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Do you know who the architects were on that project? Did they do anything with the interiors to make it more comfortable according to "modern" standards - sound insulation, light, reworking floor plans, odors, etc? I'm sure a lot of people here would be curious to learn your experiences living in a modernized 4+1.

Also, is that a slate facade? I wasn't sure what the stone was without inspecting closely.

Thanks.
Not sure who the architects were off the top of my head. The facade is some sort of sealed sandstone.

The interiors were totally gutted with only the hallway walls left standing. Insulation was added to the walls and floors (bedrooms in particular). There is still some sound transmission through the ceilings and floors but between units on the same floor it is pretty minimal. Travertine bathrooms, Toto toilets, decent stainless steel/black appliances, new HVAC units, Bosch washer and dryer in unit (my friends who live in apts quite literally lust for these), original hardwood floors, nice builder installed lighting (pendant lights over counter top space), etc.

They were pretty much stuck with the window sizes in much of the building, except the front which has the huge windows facing Melrose. Balconies with sliding glass doors were added to many of the units not on the front as well. They went through considerable trouble to add these in the rear since they needed long I-beams to support them to leave the parking area as obstruction free as possible.

Odors don't seem to be much of a problem. If people are cooking you can smell it in the hallway but not in the units themselves.

All in all they are very livable units and FAR nicer in exterior and interior appearance than the other two 4+1 condo conversions on the street.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:33 PM
Registered

^ Thanks a lot. Great info.

____

Very good news on the selection of VDTA. I think they're one of the best firms in the city.

But best firms in the country? Sounds like PR boosterism to me... Aren't the AIA Awards still self-nominated? I mean, I don't expect Valerio to win the Pritzker prize any time soon.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:45 PM

I live in a 4+1 (I didn't know they were called that). I don't know if this is typical or not, but mine is a condo building as opposed to an apartment building. As a result, it's actually very nice inside the common areas of the building. Ceramic tile floors, craftsman style wall sconces, earth-tone walls, indoor pool, sauna, and all areas are kept very clean. Plus I have satellite television included in my rent (it's part of the HOA fees). I'm renting my studio from a lawyer who owns this unit. The location in East Lakeview is great for me. I'm a block away from Lake Shore Drive & the lakefront and I'm also just a 10 minute walk from the el. I'm also just a few blocks away from the bars in Boystown, the restaurants on Broadway, Jewel, Whole Foods, etc... all of that for a monthly rent that is lower than probably 98% of comparable studios in this area. The only negatives are that the windows in these buildings tend to be older and as a result aren't energy efficient at all - a big negative in the cold winters here. The other negative is that the walls are a little thin, but I only occasionally can hear one of my neighbors. I don't know if I'd be interested in buying a unit in one of these types of buildings because I'm not confident I'll get much additional money back in the future (I'm doubting their values will rise significantly from where they're at right now), but I'm happy to be renting a studio in a 4+1 for the time being.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Well I hope the Focus Development project in Evanston has better luck than their Palatine Place project, which looks to be dead. The billboards on site were taken down this week, and the sales center says "closed indefinitely".
The site is vacant and Village owned, so maybe they can mothball and wait for favorable weather. (hadn't broke ground yet)
It was 1st floor retail, underground parking and with 190 units the highest density the zoning would allow. Damn the loss of this one sucks. We're this close to getting critical mass around the Metra station.
My gut tells me the Evanston Project is dead too, but who knows. Perhaps if the slumping economy takes a hit on Evanston's city budget, approval might happen a little easier.

BTW, I really appreciate your updates on the transformation of Palatine's downtown.

---------
TUP: Good luck on the interview, hopefully you will be comming back to your "home" city soon.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropius View Post
What would it take for the zoning code to be revised again? Would it help if federal transportation funds were tied to minimum density requirements?
Attaching density requirements to transportation funds is only way to revise zoning for density increases on a large scale. There is just too much opposition otherwise coming from people who haven't a clue about how cities really function; they just selfishly want to keep thier views, ample sunlight, and free on-street parking in the middle of a dense 120 year old urban neighborhood. The city should start an a pro-active educational approach and outreach to varrious community groups as to why density is a good thing and why zoning is often more restrictive today than ever in our neighborhoods, and thus certian areas should be upzoned for reasons x,y,z; whatever the case for it might be. I don't how effective it would be though. SOAR on average has turned a new leaf and to a lesser extant so has that group representing the area around Noble Square, so it is possible to gennerate some community support for it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
My gut tells me the Evanston Project is dead too, but who knows. Perhaps if the slumping economy takes a hit on Evanston's city budget, approval might happen a little easier.
for all practical purposes, the Focus project in evanston is dead. no official announcement has been made, but given the state of the economy, and the absolute nightmare the evanston NIMBYs created for the project in the first go-round, i think it's safe to say that it's gone for good.

add to that the fact that the new proposed downtown plan for evanston would now place a hard height limit cap of 25 stories which no building would be allowed to surpass under any circumstances. the new plan has yet to be formally approved by the city council, but i think it will most likely go through, so don't expect anything taller than the existing chase bank building to ever rise in evanston.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
...The city should start an a pro-active educational approach and outreach to varrious community groups as to why density is a good thing and why zoning is often more restrictive today than ever in our neighborhoods, and thus certian areas should be upzoned for reasons x,y,z; whatever the case for it might be. I don't how effective it would be though. SOAR on average has turned a new leaf and to a lesser extant so has that group representing the area around Noble Square, so it is possible to gennerate some community support for it.
Unfortunately many of these groups care absolutely nothing for anyone's views but their own. GGNA (the Great Goethe Neighborhood Association) expressed opposition to Alderman Flores's plans for additional density around the Western and California El stops, saying that the neighborhood doesn't need anything above three stories. After numerous attempts by myself to present the group with a researched and organized piece asking for them to support the measure, while offering them countless rational reasons on why they should, they wouldn't do so much as to even consider what I had to say. They basically responded with "we are doing what we consider to be in the best interests of the community." And, of course, the "best interests of the community" was to oppose the plan assembled under input from the utmost considerate, rigorous, and objective assessment of the interests of the community that was conducted by Alderman Flores.

It's quite simple, really: more density begets more consumers per area, more consumers per area begets more retailers per area, more retailers per area reduces the distance between any two given retailers of the same economic function, and accordingly any functional business within the city is easier to get to. This leads to more walking, less traffic, less parking issues, etc.

But, of course, the logical statement presented above is predicated on the fact that people can walk two city blocks without incurring insufferable bodily harm or dying.

Last edited by Jibba; Nov 24, 2008 at 10:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 10:52 PM
TL;DR

^^ Well, Flores is in favor of increased density, and in this town, that's all that matters...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 12:39 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
add to that the fact that the new proposed downtown plan for evanston would now place a hard height limit cap of 25 stories which no building would be allowed to surpass under any circumstances. the new plan has yet to be formally approved by the city council, but i think it will most likely go through, so don't expect anything taller than the existing chase bank building to ever rise in evanston.
wow I didn't know that. that sucks.

Can you imagine if anything like this was enforced in the city? Oh yeah, its called the west loop.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Unfortunately many of these groups care absolutely nothing for anyone's views but their own. GGNA (the Great Goethe Neighborhood Association) expressed opposition to Alderman Flores's plans for additional density around the Western and California El stops, saying that the neighborhood doesn't need anything above three stories. After numerous attempts by myself to present the group with a researched and organized piece asking for them to support the measure, while offering them countless rational reasons on why they should, they wouldn't do so much as to even consider what I had to say. They basically responded with "we are doing what we consider to be in the best interests of the community." And, of course, the "best interests of the community" was to oppose the plan assembled under input from the utmost considerate, rigorous, and objective assessment of the interests of the community that was conducted by Alderman Flores.

It's quite simple, really: more density begets more consumers per area, more consumers per area begets more retailers per area, more retailers per area reduces the distance between any two given retailers of the same economic function, and accordingly any functional business within the city is easier to get to. This leads to more walking, less traffic, less parking issues, etc.

But, of course, the logical statement presented above is predicated on the fact that people can walk two city blocks without incurring insufferable bodily harm or dying.
Yeah, I know, I am just trying to see the glass as half full. I am so tired of all the NIMBY assholes ruining the future of our city because they tolerate urbanity rather than embrace it. I would really love nothing more than having a elected official with the balls to say to these people "if we are going to get serious about environmental sustainability, then we have to increase density. If you want better transit service or even keep it in your neighborhood, it will not come without density."

keep at though with your support. Send a letter to the alderman so they know supporting TOD will win them votes and counteract the fallout from pissed off yuppies upset over the perceived loss of their constitutional right for free street parking.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
for all practical purposes, the Focus project in evanston is dead. no official announcement has been made, but given the state of the economy, and the absolute nightmare the evanston NIMBYs created for the project in the first go-round, i think it's safe to say that it's gone for good.

That might be precisely why the application for it has not been officially withdrawn, as Focus has a foot in the door and can always claim that their proposal was in before the height limit took effect. And in the meantime, they can wait out the market. Whether or not Evanston will approve it, or a shorter design is another story.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, I am just trying to see the glass as half full. I am so tired of all the NIMBY assholes ruining the future of our city because they tolerate urbanity rather than embrace it. I would really love nothing more than having a elected official with the balls to say to these people "if we are going to get serious about environmental sustainability, then we have to increase density. If you want better transit service or even keep it in your neighborhood, it will not come without density."

keep at though with your support. Send a letter to the alderman so they know supporting TOD will win them votes and counteract the fallout from pissed off yuppies upset over the perceived loss of their constitutional right for free street parking.
Sorry, I didn't intend for it to sound like you are being overly optimistic or anything like that, and I definitely agree that certain community organizations are taking steps in the right direction. And yes, the city definitely needs to stand up to NIMBYs: more often than not, NIMBYs represent the minority, but they are catered to simply because they are the most vocal. In fact, if the city personnel and/or the aldermen responsible for determining the character of developments actually took the time to determine what the real desires of the neighborhood were, they would likely find out that, on the whole, density is a supported characteristic. That is exactly what the study conducted by Alderman Flores found--almost every person surveyed said that they didn't like strip-malls, Walgreen's, fast food chains, ugly parking lots, etc., and they said that they liked dense street frontage and intact urban fabric. After attending the study a lot of the participants said that they would support the additional density around transit stops that the study concluded would benefit the area.

It's unfortunate that a guy like Manny Flores is the exception. It seems as if most Aldermen just treat their positions as just another rung on the political ladder. And speaking of which, their was an article in the Chicago Journal just the other day that mentioned that Flores is considering a run for Congress.

I have sent him letters congratulating and encouraging his efforts, and I hope that if his zoning plans go through it will set an enlightening precedent.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 8:39 AM
TL;DR

Renaissance Village, Jefferson/21st

These towers definitely don't look very good, but at least they're density! The short, red-brick ones are Phase I, and the taller grey ones are Phase II. 28 stories in a weird area between Chinatown and Pilsen? I'll take it! (I seriously doubt this will even get to Phase II, though).

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 25, 2008 at 8:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 3:31 PM

^I'll take it, too, please.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Not sure who the architects were off the top of my head. The facade is some sort of sealed sandstone.
"Although two local architecture firms worked on the interior remodeling, Rick Sundberg of Seattle’s Olson Sundberg Kundig Allen Architects designed its facade. (The project developer hired him based on photos of a single-family house in Denver his firm had designed.)" -from an article at http://www.timeout.com/chicago/artic...lt-environment

I do really like this building, and I didn't mean to imply that ALL four-plus-ones were awful - there certainly were those who built to a higher standard anyway, and obviously they can be made nicer.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 5:27 PM
tilted & shifted

Excerpt on four-plus-ones from The Politics of Place: A History of Zoning in Chicago

I live in east Lincoln Park near Diversey and have always despised these structures. A big thanks to the extremely intelligent and well-informed people we have at this forum for finally putting a name on them and explaining their history. I was even tempted, a few months back, to photograph the ones around my neighborhood and ask what they are and why they are so ubiquitous in east Lakeview and extreme northeastern Lincoln Park.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Nov 25, 2008 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 5:29 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Very good link - thank you.

That is the first time that I've used Google's Book Search. They have really expanded their game. What's left for them to catalogue - Google Human Genomes? Amazing.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Excerpt on four-plus-ones from The Politics of Place: A History of Zoning in Chicago

I live in east Lincoln Park near Diversey and have always despised these structures. A big thanks to the extremely intelligent and well-informed people we have at this forum for finally putting a name on them and explaining their history. I was even tempted, a few months back, to photograph the ones around my neighborhood and ask what they are and why they are so ubiquitous in east Lakeview and extreme northeastern Lincoln Park.
I abhore 4 + 1's. Wouldn't mind seeing the lot of them torn down and replaced with decent architecture and the same to slightly more dense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development