HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:13 AM
Paramoderator

The Wilshire Grand is wonderful, and the rooftop bar is sure to be a huge downtown hot spot. I walked around the surrounding area today, and noticed a huge amount of pedestrian activity. As I was waiting in line at CVS, I overheard one of the cashiers complaining about how much busier the store and area have been recently. Not a bad problem to have.

The Freehand Hotel / Commercial Exchange building is perfect btw. Probably the best adaptive reuse in all of downtown. The whole area around 8th and Grand has totally transformed, and feels like one of the most complete neighborhoods in downtown.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Would be awesome if the city could redevelop the WTC site with offices, residents, hotel and commercial.. may potentially be a new tallest
The whole west side of Bunker Hill needs some serious planning. Make it walkable, plan for the redevelopment of a the WTC, Mariott, and that office park, and tear down that damn viaduct on 4th street.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
The whole west side of Bunker Hill needs some serious planning. Make it walkable, plan for the redevelopment of a the WTC, Mariott, and that office park, and tear down that damn viaduct on 4th street.
I sure wish they had left some of the wonderful Victorians they had until they leveled the hill in the early 1960s. When the regional connector opens the area should liven up. At least L.A. has wonderful historic districts from Broadway east. Walking down Broadway or Spring is like stepping back into the 1910s and 1920s, architecture-wise. I look up expecting to see Harold Lloyd dangling from a clock, college boys in raccoon coats, and flappers wearing cloche hats.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 25, 2017 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 7:25 AM

I feel like I have OCD when I see that shoddily lit spire. Either light the whole thing, or keep it turned off.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:25 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Those that you have sited are very handsome towers, especially the first. But of the second two, what that odd red structure about two-thirds the way up, and of the third tower what is that strange square in the top upper right corner? Update: I just checked the diagrams section of this forum and those two features that I mentioned are intentional parts of the design--how bizarre.
Not bizarre at all:

Quote:
Eureka Tower is named after the Eureka Stockade, a rebellion during the Victorian gold rush in 1854. This has been incorporated into the design, with the building's gold crown representing the gold rush and a red stripe representing the blood spilt during the revolt. The blue glass cladding that covers most of the building represents the blue background of the stockade's flag and the white lines also represent the Eureka Stockade flag. The white horizontal stripes also represent markings on a surveyor's measuring staff.
Wish more buildings would use symbolism into their design. Now back on topic.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:44 PM

Regarding the WTC, this article indicates that the rooftop tennis courts are being shutdown, with some speculation that some type of development may take its place.

http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/ke...court-closing/

Quote:
With connections at other tennis facilities such as the Griffith Riverside Tennis Court, Robb has plans to continue running programs, and he has a mailing list of Ketchum devotees who want to stick with him. He doesn’t know what the building’s owner, Jamison Services, intends to do with the defunct tennis complex at Ketchum, but he suspects that, with a new Metro stop going in at nearby 2nd and Hope, the courts will be replaced with development of some kind, either residential or office. (Jamison did not return our query.) There will still be people moving in the shadows of downtown’s giants, but they will no longer be serving out the set.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:45 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
As I was waiting in line at CVS, I overheard one of the cashiers complaining about how much busier the store and area have been recently. Not a bad problem to have.

The Freehand Hotel / Commercial Exchange building is perfect btw. Probably the best adaptive reuse in all of downtown. The whole area around 8th and Grand has totally transformed, and feels like one of the most complete neighborhoods in downtown.

DT after a long slumber is finally waking up.

Even only 7 yrs make a difference.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:17 PM

Militant Angeleno fb page

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:21 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Ground Breaking Ceremony

Thursday, Aug 3, 2017
9:00am – 12:00pm

Join us to celebrate the long-anticipated ground breaking of Terasaki Budokan! This event will bring together elected officials, funders, lenders and other contributors within the Little Tokyo and Japanese American communities to commemorate this monumental milestone.

The ceremony will be held outdoors and seating will be limited, please dress appropriately for the summer weather. The future location of Terasaki Budokan is currently an empty parking lot at 237-249 S. Los Angeles Street (between 2nd & 3rd Street). Parking will not be available at the ground breaking site, parking information will be provided closer to the event date

that will finally result in the parking lot shown to the left of B, across Los angeles street, being filled in.

a, b d, btw, have all been replaced by new apt devlpt in the past few yrs.

part of the lot to the left of A....across the street....is now filled in with the new vibiana lofts bldg, yet to open.

this is all in the shadow of LA city hall, which is one block north....or if shown would be in a location above the top of the pic.

The city's well known bldg for municipal govt is now in a general setting more befitting of where it should have been from the beginning.

brighamyen.com

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Keep in mind it's residential. 62 story residential isn't the same as 62 story office. The height of the floors are shorter for residential towers.
True, but they proposed 64 stories.

Let us compare that one to the 50 (49?) story Onni tower.

637 (height) divided by 50 (stories) multiplied by 64 (stories) = 815.36
Could be slightly higher or lower. We don't know how they designed the roof and so on. We might see another spire. Who knows..

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
True, but they proposed 64 stories.

Let us compare that one to the 50 (49?) story Onni tower.

637 (height) divided by 50 (stories) multiplied by 64 (stories) = 815.36
Could be slightly higher or lower. We don't know how they designed the roof and so on. We might see another spire. Who knows..
By the look we got I say a flat roof no slant or spire. That being said it's going to be a very elegant and beautiful tower.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Would be awesome if the city could redevelop the WTC site with offices, residents, hotel and commercial.. may potentially be a new tallest
Market forces will cause this to happen if there is an increased and sustained demand for office space and if the Grand av. project ever gets completed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Not bizarre at all:

Wish more buildings would use symbolism into their design. Now back on topic.
Fascinating. I did not know the history that you describe. Then perhaps calling these "appliqued" features bizarre was too harsh. Now I'll just call them ugly.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:41 PM

Something I hadn't noticed before, but which is very apparent now, is how slowly Google Maps updates their satellite imagery. On Google Earth, Wilshire Grand is still dirt, and Metropolis, Oceanwide, and Circa are still parking. I wonder when this will finally get an update... I guess it's useful if you want to see DTLA circa 2008 for comparison purposes.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Something I hadn't noticed before, but which is very apparent now, is how slowly Google Maps updates their satellite imagery. On Google Earth, Wilshire Grand is still dirt, and Metropolis, Oceanwide, and Circa are still parking. I wonder when this will finally get an update... I guess it's useful if you want to see DTLA circa 2008 for comparison purposes.
Not sure what version you're viewing, but on the Google Maps development map, all those sites are under construction and Wilshire Grand is fully built out.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Not sure what version you're viewing, but on the Google Maps development map, all those sites are under construction and Wilshire Grand is fully built out.
The development map you're referencing is incredibly up-to-date... no qualms with that. What I'm referring to is the Google satellite imagery of downtown LA.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:35 PM
:o

Weird. On my phone, the satellite imagery is fairly update, with the WG fully topped out, spire and all. But on my PC browser, it's way outdated and it has the 3D buildings...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Weird. On my phone, the satellite imagery is fairly update, with the WG fully topped out, spire and all. But on my PC browser, it's way outdated and it has the 3D buildings...
Yeah... I though Google Earth was the latest and greatest and the satellite imagery on there is way outdated as well. Apologies for the tangent on this thread...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:12 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/councilmemb...street-viaduct

New parks around the 6th Street Viaduct don't have sidewalks. Jose Huizar is looking to fix that.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:23 PM

That greenery looks amazing ^, hope it looks that nice in person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations