HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:50 PM
Community Guy

Just the ones north of 100ave. Apparently the ones to the south are the guys who own the gas/tire lands.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:03 PM
Community Guy

16-476049937
ADDRESS 11414 - 76 AVENUE NW
LEGAL_DESCRIPTION Plan 2321417 Blk 1 Lot 27
NEIGHBOURHOOD MCKERNAN
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct FOOTINGS AND FOUNDATIONS (PARKADE) ONLY for a mixed use building - Windsor Heights Apartments.
PERMIT_DATE 2024-05-17

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton is growing: City kicks off 2024 construction season
May 21, 2024

Construction season is officially underway, and the City of Edmonton is investing in public infrastructure projects that will bring people together for decades to come.

Guided by The City Plan, more than 200 City infrastructure projects being planned, designed and built in 2024 will directly employ thousands of people from the Edmonton region, build climate resilience, contribute to a healthy city and help Edmontonians prepare for continuing population growth.

“More and more people are choosing to live in Edmonton,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “As our city grows, we have a responsibility to invest in the services that our growing population needs: services like police and fire stations, roads, transit, libraries, parks, recreation centres and more. Building with purpose allows us to create and maintain spaces that encourage people to come together with family, friends and neighbours.”

The City is committed to creating conditions to foster a vibrant, inclusive, safe and sustainable downtown core. The newly constructed Centennial Plaza is an example of how purposeful infrastructure can breathe new life into the city centre and facilitate connection. The renewed outdoor space will feature enhanced landscaping and accessible seating, which are the direct product of careful planning and engagement between the City, its infrastructure partners and surrounding communities.

"We are thrilled to see the new outdoor plaza opening right next to the library. This vibrant space promises to be a valuable addition to our community, offering a welcoming environment for all to gather, connect and explore," said Sharon Day, Executive Director of Customer Experience at Edmonton Public Library. "The plaza will undoubtedly enhance the downtown experience for Edmontonians and contribute to the overall vibrancy of our city."

As part of the City’s commitment to being Greener as We Grow, a substantial endeavour breaks ground in downtown this year with the Warehouse Park Project. Reimagining gravel parking lots into an urban park will be a catalyst for further residential and commercial development while creating a space for the surrounding communities to play, be active, relax and gather.

Major transformational projects are building capacity for commuters and transporting goods across the city. Construction on two key arterial routes will progress throughout 2024 with work on Yellowhead Trail Freeway Conversion and Terwillegar Drive Expansion. Investment in public transit continues with the Valley Line West LRT in its third year of major construction. Substantial work will take place along the LRT alignment in 2024, including the elevated guideway for the future Misericordia Hospital and West Edmonton Mall stations.

The $7 billion 2023–26 Capital Budget includes more than $1.7 billion in infrastructure renewal.

The City continues to prioritize infrastructure renewal to improve the longevity of our roads, facilities and communities. The City is adding solar panels to existing buildings, while also examining how new projects can incorporate sustainable practices at the design phase. Renewal projects like the Mill Creek Pool Rehabilitation will see City spaces upgraded to meet new accessibility standards.

Through the Neighbourhood Renewal Program, more than 100 kilometres of residential roads and sidewalks and 23 kilometres of alleys will be renewed in 17 neighbourhoods. The three-year William Hawrelak Park Renewal Project, which will replace 50-year-old underground utilities, transportation networks, open spaces and facility infrastructure, is in its second year of construction.

“As we plan for each capital budget cycle, we look for opportunities to balance investment in new infrastructure while caring for what already exists,” said Craig Walbaum, Acting Deputy City Manager of the Integrated Infrastructure Services department. “We’re working on the roads, bridges and pathways Edmontonians need and use every day to move around the city. It’s critical we maintain what we have.”

In every project, big and small, the City is finding opportunities to incorporate active transportation, such as new shared pathways, that connect communities with safe and efficient routes for people who choose to walk, roll or bike.

Helping Edmontonians navigate the 2024 construction season

The City is committed to protecting people around worksites, minimizing the impact of construction detours, and accommodating all modes of accessible travel, including walking, cycling, rolling and public transit.

“2024 is set to be a busy construction season in our city, and we know the impacts of construction can be disruptive,” Walbaum said. ”Each project aims to improve the quality of life for our residents and the longevity of our communities. We would like to thank all Edmontonians for their patience and understanding as we continue to build and renew Edmonton for today and future generations.”

Commuters are encouraged to plan ahead. Information about road closures, travel delays and timelines for construction projects is available on the City’s interactive traffic disruptions map: edmonton.ca/TrafficDisruptions.

About The City Plan

The City Plan is Edmonton’s combined Municipal Development and Transportation Master Plan. It envisions vibrant communities where Edmontonians of all ages, abilities and backgrounds can easily get to the places, people and things they need and love within a short walk, bike, roll and/or transit trip. Visit edmonton.ca/CityBuilding to learn more about how the City is helping to transform Edmonton into a healthy, urban and climate-resilient city of two million people that supports a prosperous region.
For more information:
building.edmonton.ca
2024 Construction Season Fact Sheet

Media contact:
Courtney Gillis
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-340-5919

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 5:55 PM

Some new shots of Coronation Park.
This site is definitely making an impact.
[IMG]PXL_20240520_201427720 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]PXL_20240520_201852693 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]PXL_20240520_202202514~2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:39 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:00 AM

Anyone know what is going on at Westmount Shopping Centre?

Future of Westmount Shopping Centre unclear after tenants given 30 day notice

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:24 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
Anyone know what is going on at Westmount Shopping Centre?

Future of Westmount Shopping Centre unclear after tenants given 30 day notice
Likely tearing down that portion. I've heard they were planning on de-malling it. No idea on what that really looks like.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:20 AM

^ I believe Westmount was the first Mall in Edmonton.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:19 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
That's correct in terms of 'modern day' versions.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post

Another piece of Edmonton's history bites the dust. Was it Westmount that had the indoor rink or Meadowlark?

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:58 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Another piece of Edmonton's history bites the dust. Was it Westmount that had the indoor rink or Meadowlark?
Westmount and West Edmonton Mall were the two malls to have ice rinks.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post

Thanks, wasn't to sure if it was Westmount or meadowlark that had the rink.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:08 PM

Westmount has had so many changes The only section I believe is original is the old Woodwards section that Walmart used. The ripped out a lot when they built the arena and HD.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:11 PM
Community Guy

Manulife renovations getting closer.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:31 PM
A Better Place

Westmount will probably go the way of Capilano Mall and become a glorified power centre. It's already halfway there with Home Depot and the majorit of the interior sections vacant.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
IIRC the ice rink was replaced by a fitness club (currently GYMVMT).

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Westmount will probably go the way of Capilano Mall and become a glorified power centre.
This, regretfully.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 9:43 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 12:23 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 8:55 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It would be interesting to know how many of 20-34 YO are new immigrants.

Another scary stat is the lack of new rental stock added in the Toronto and Vancouver markets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton