HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:21 AM

My takeaway from the Chicago election was the election itself. I love the runoff system almost as much as RCV. I just hate that Philly (and PA as a whole) is so just so politically ass backwards and resistant to change.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
My takeaway from the Chicago election was the election itself. I love the runoff system almost as much as RCV. I just hate that Philly (and PA as a whole) is so just so politically ass backwards and resistant to change.
Completely agree. I wonder what it would take to get something like that in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:58 AM

I don't think it's fair to say Gym is a republican but I definitely get the sense she's more of the non profit candidate then anything, a lot of hot air and "community organizing" where the point is to schedule "community" meetings and not get anything done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
If you need the law I’ll happily tag the code. I did it on reddit for people with the same thought & it hushed their take on it real quick.
Can you post the relevant part of the law please? After the embarrassing news story PPA has posted on twitter they can tow cars without plates (not holding my breath that they actually do it).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:26 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
I don't think it's fair to say Gym is a republican but I definitely get the sense she's more of the non profit candidate then anything, a lot of hot air and "community organizing" where the point is to schedule "community" meetings and not get anything done

Can you post the relevant part of the law please? After the embarrassing news story PPA has posted on twitter they can tow cars without plates (not holding my breath that they actually do it).
A couple of the things in the bill that would not be a swingable offense anymore includes

Driving an unregistered vehicle (with a 60-day grace period)
Relocation of Temporary Registration Permits (must still be visible)
Driving with an unfastened Registration Plate (must still be visible)

The "must still be visible" is a joke, because majority of the time the plates are inside the window lying on the back and or taped to the window behind tint making it not visible.

The fact that the license plate is not secured to the back of the car does in fact make it not visible.

So when you have people driving an unregistered vehicle, without a visible plate it kind of allows people to get away with stuff Scott free.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
[...] the bill requires a clearly visible plate.
Quote:
Incorrect the bill does not require a “visible” plate.

Thats the reason why we have such rampant no plate or fake tags going on right now because the law states that non registration or visible tag on the back is not a pullable offense anymore.

This in turn has caused more issues with getaway vehicles & unidentifiable vehicles being used in incorrect manner.

If you need the law I’ll happily tag the code. I did it on reddit for people with the same thought & it hushed their take on it real quick.

The diver equality bill is good in thought, but in nature it is corrupt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
Quote:
A couple of the things in the bill that would not be a swingable offense anymore includes

Driving an unregistered vehicle (with a 60-day grace period)
Relocation of Temporary Registration Permits (must still be visible)
Driving with an unfastened Registration Plate (must still be visible)

The "must still be visible" is a joke, because majority of the time the plates are inside the window lying on the back and or taped to the window behind tint making it not visible.

The fact that the license plate is not secured to the back of the car does in fact make it not visible.

So when you have people driving an unregistered vehicle, without a visible plate it kind of allows people to get away with stuff Scott free.
Wow. So I point out that the bill requires visible plates and you tell me I'm incorrect, then go on you quote an article that literally says "must still be visible." Why do people feel the need to pretend they know shit?

Actual text of the bill (emphasis mine):

(c) Title 75 Pa C.S. § 1332 (a). Display of Registration Plate, where the violation pertains
to a plate not securely fastened to the vehicle but such plate is otherwise clearly displayed.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Then what changed? That's what really kills me about electing anyone who is entrenched in the city hall machine. They don't believe that they should be held accountable for anything that has happened in the city under their watch. You can't just keep saying COVID. Something obviously changed during the Kenney administration where no one is held accountable for the horrid performance of city services. Maybe it's unfair to single Gym out, but she was there. She's gone along with. I won't pretend I am not bias against her. I think her views on criminal "justice", development, and business environment come from a very privileged and entitled place that is very much disconnected from the actual working families of the city that just want to get by with having a safe and clean neighborhood.
Look, man, it's fine if you don't like her. I don't want to see her as mayor either. Just don't spread misinformation.

I'm not getting dragged back into the discussion on what has changed since COVID. A lot has changed nationally and the city has plenty of specific local problems as well. There's plenty of blame to go around. We've had that argument on this forum like a dozen times already though.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:19 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Penn's Landing Park with renderings:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...struction.html

Looks like a lot of programming and assets on the park when built out.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 2:32 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Wow. So I point out that the bill requires visible plates and you tell me I'm incorrect, then go on you quote an article that literally says "must still be visible." Why do people feel the need to pretend they know shit?

Actual text of the bill (emphasis mine):

(c) Title 75 Pa C.S. § 1332 (a). Display of Registration Plate, where the violation pertains
to a plate not securely fastened to the vehicle but such plate is otherwise clearly displayed.
Because any plate that is not otherwise on the back of a vehicle is not clearly visible.

It seems we are trying to rework the wheel here. A place where the plate has a spot that is clearly made for & visible some how isnt good enough & somewhere else is perfectly fine. That law is a case to be abused & it is very badly everyday.

I dont know if you drive or walk in the city, but a plate inside the window is not “clearly visible”

I think your missing that aspect that im pointing out.

Since when is it a big issue to put your plate on the back of your car which is very easy as proven for decades unless your bumper is literally missing.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:37 PM

Straying off topic. If you're going to discuss Gym's politics past this point, it better be about buildings, zoning, or other topics related to development.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 3:51 PM

Just want to remark on how good at attracting new places the greater Fishtown area is becoming.

In the past few months several existing businesses have either announced an expansion or a relocation to the area.

Cake and Joe - second operation
Essen Bakery - second operation
Manatawny Stillworks - new cocktail bar/retail space
Forin Cafe - second operation
Post Haste - new cocktail bar
Vessel Coffee - new coffee shop opening in the new flatiron building
Gilda - new Portuguese-style cafe
Fiore Fine Foods - Relocation

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Just want to remark on how good at attracting new places the greater Fishtown area is becoming.

In the past few months several existing businesses have either announced an expansion or a relocation to the area.

There's more than this but I can't think of them all. But the main one's that stand out are:
Kalaya (opened)
West Collection (under construction)
New rotisserie/wine bar from the Kalaya/Beddia/Suraya folks across from Martha. (under construction)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
There's more than this but I can't think of them all. But the main one's that stand out are:
Kalaya (opened)
West Collection (under construction)
New rotisserie/wine bar from the Kalaya/Beddia/Suraya folks across from Martha. (under construction)
I think there is a new Wexler gallery coming to frankford too. also this in s. kenz https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ensington.html

maybe American st will be an ave of the arts?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
I think there is a new Wexler gallery coming to frankford too. also this in s. kenz https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ensington.html

maybe American st will be an ave of the arts?
I forgot about Two Robbers, Tulip Pasta & Wine Bar, and Van Leeuwen which also just opened.

The above is super interesting. Could be that they're planning on building their own gallery or museum to display their collection?

One of the quieter things that's happening on N American is that the Scannapecio's are building a multifamily building on spec and the rumor is that when it is done, it will actually offer condos for sale instead of rentals.

Not for nothing, but I'm gonna go out on a (not so far) limb and say that one of the reasons that N American Street is attracting so much investment is because the city and the neighborhood association (NKDC) complete reprogrammed and rebuilt American Street. The new format and landscaping look great (and are being maintained). There are bike lanes and the power lines(!) were also buried. Some times, you build it (correctly the first time) and they will come.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post

Pretty sure Essen is relocating like Fiore and Kalaya. Anyway the momentum in fishtown and Kensington is insane. But also the demographics are shifting. Around me in passyunk it’s all families and it’s pretty sleepy, but Frankford and front st have a lot of young energy and the development is creeping up to Allegheny really quickly. I’m kinda shocked how dead the bars and restaurants around Passyunk are on the weekdays and weekends compared to CC or parts of lower North.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Pretty sure Essen is relocating like Fiore and Kalaya. Anyway the momentum in fishtown and Kensington is insane. But also the demographics are shifting. Around me in passyunk it’s all families and it’s pretty sleepy, but Frankford and front st have a lot of young energy and the development is creeping up to Allegheny really quickly. I’m kinda shocked how dead the bars and restaurants around Passyunk are on the weekdays and weekends compared to CC or parts of lower North.
Same thing happening in BV/QV (sigh). We've already lost Kalaya to Fishtown, and now Fiore. Two of my favorites in the area. I'm in distress! At least we've got Fiorella... for now.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Same thing happening in BV/QV (sigh). We've already lost Kalaya to Fishtown, and now Fiore. Two of my favorites in the area. I'm in distress! At least we've got Fiorella... for now.
You also have Good King. And the newly opened Grace & Proper.

The block of S 7th between South and Fitzwater is among the most charming in the city, IMO. The energy is amazing when everything is opened and the activity spills out onto the street.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
You also have Good King. And the newly opened Grace & Proper.

The block of S 7th between South and Fitzwater is among the most charming in the city, IMO. The energy is amazing when everything is opened and the activity spills out onto the street.
Fair enough. And I suppose we did steal Redcrest from East Pass.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:46 PM

Question for some who may know regarding that. I just moved to passayunk recently and many of the restaurants are closed on mondays (some are shockingly closed on saturdays) I assumed it was a staffing issue but does anyone know if this is something with zoning?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:50 PM

Fishtown/Kensington is attractive because there is just so much space to work with. It's much easier to find a new construction place with a large amount of square footage. Because of the industrial history of these neighborhoods there is just a LOT more space that was never taken by residential properties. Passyunk is all like 600 sqft 1st floor commercial spaces. Not a lot of flexibility with those.

There are some big spaces on Passyunk that unfortunately are being sat on or listed for unreasonable prices. The old Paradiso is a large space that just went under contract, so I'm hoping for something good there.

But then you have the double wide old Tre Scalini which is asking like 1.7 million with no liquor license.

You have Safran/Turney sitting on 3 buildings(one very large) on the 1300 block of EPA, time to shit or get off the pot.

I also feel like some long term operators have lost interest. I'm shocked every day that Laurel remains open. Time to sell it to someone else. ITV used to be one of the best cocktail bars in the city, it's an embarassment now.

I will say it's much more pleasurable walking through East Passyunk/Queen Village/Bella Vista. Fishtown has a lot of new businesses but they're spaced fairly far apart and all the construction does not make for a good pedestrian experience. I'm sure that will change eventually.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Question for some who may know regarding that. I just moved to passayunk recently and many of the restaurants are closed on mondays (some are shockingly closed on saturdays) I assumed it was a staffing issue but does anyone know if this is something with zoning?
Mondays is usually a slow restaurant day so its a good time to give staff time off. Some are even closed on weekends so staff can have a weekend off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development