HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:14 PM
World Traveler

The white certainly doesn't pop as much at that hour.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
It looks really good there but I gotta say that's it's worst side imo! The slim sides make my heart race and the all glazed side, knowing it faces our beautiful Capitol, makes me proud. Welcome to Austin! Big fan of this bldg.
True, though this is a bad angle looking up congress, since I think it's too high up. Street level is significantly more attractive, considering all of the nice historic buildings (save for just the Paramount's sign) aren't visible, and all we're seeing is rooftops (and not the cool garden roofs with water tanks you see in NYC).

Unlike functionally every other highrise built in Austin, I think the best part of this one is the first 3-4 floors, particularly because of the way it's designed around the state theater and cantilevered over a bit.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 5:58 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
I like that it doesn't go all the way around. The north side with all the glass looks like it was a larger building that was sliced in half. But I can get why you would like the pattern to go all the way around. To each their own.
I assume the reason is to provide unobstructed, uninterrupted views of the capitol from that side.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 12:20 AM

Signage

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:23 AM

It’s a much different building from that vantage point.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:27 AM

I totally thought I was looking at a pic from some other city.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:48 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 6:00 PM

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 2:44 PM

https://austin.eater.com/2022/5/18/2...austin-opening

Quote:
Six-time James Beard Award finalist Steve McHugh, of lauded San Antonio restaurant Cured, is opening his first Austin restaurant in a new hotel downtown. The restaurant, Luminaire, along with a rooftop bar Las Bis, will open at 721 Congress Avenue within the Hyatt Centric Congress Avenue Austin.

Luminaire will cater to McHugh’s strengths by featuring “seasonal local Texas fare and charcuterie,” according to a press release. It will also have a full bar and a new world-focused wine list. Luminaire will be on the ground floor of the hotel with indoor and outdoor seating.

Las Bis, the rooftop bar, will be on the eighth floor of the hotel with an outdoor terrace and skyline views. It will offer cocktails, biodynamic wines, and conservas (jarred or canned snacks). McHugh will also oversee the hotel’s banquet menu.

McHugh attracted national attention when he opened the charcuterie-focused Cured in the Pearl development in San Antonio in 2012. He has been a four-time finalist for the James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef: Southwest, and he was a 2020 finalist for Best Chef: Texas. He is currently a finalist in the Texas category. He also opened Landrace, which also focuses on Texas fare, inside the Thompson Hotel in downtown San Antonio this past February.

The Hyatt Centric Congress Avenue Austin is slated to open in summer 2022 and is accepting reservations for September and beyond.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 5:40 PM

wtf is a biodynamic wine and why is it a word my phone knows how to autocomplete when typing this.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
wtf is a biodynamic wine and why is it a word my phone knows how to autocomplete when typing this.
Don't know, but it sounds expensive.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
It's just a method of farming. A biodynamic vineyard won't just be rows and rows of grapes, but will have horses/ducks/etc. It's designed to try and be as sustainable as possible, with the entire farm being one "ecosystem."

It's typically organic, since they don't rely on chemical fertilizers, etc. but there isn't necessarily any difference in taste versus a traditional wine.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
It's just a method of farming. A biodynamic vineyard won't just be rows and rows of grapes, but will have horses/ducks/etc. It's designed to try and be as sustainable as possible, with the entire farm being one "ecosystem."

It's typically organic, since they don't rely on chemical fertilizers, etc. but there isn't necessarily any difference in taste versus a traditional wine.
My understanding is that the main difference is that organic and biodynamic wines do not contain sulfates as preservatives, which many people have trouble with when drinking conventional wines. Ever had a wicked red wine hangover? It was probably the sulfates.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 12:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
My understanding is that the main difference is that organic and biodynamic wines do not contain sulfates as preservatives, which many people have trouble with when drinking conventional wines. Ever had a wicked red wine hangover? It was probably the sulfates.
Yasss I get horrible headaches if I drink red wine so I don't drink it. White wine tends to be less of an issue.

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
That would certainly be part of it. Biodynamic winemaking puts a priority on not adding anything extra to either the wine itself, or the winemaking process.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 12:49 AM
Meh

Wine is one of the few alcohols I can have without feeling like crap the next day. I can kill a bottle of it in a night and still be fine the next day.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Wine is one of the few alcohols I can have without feeling like crap the next day. I can kill a bottle of it in a night and still be fine the next day.
For me it depends on the wine. Ones that have a lot of sulfites in them wreck me pretty hard. With others, I'm totally fine the next day, like you.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 3:11 AM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 5:25 PM

Taking reservations starting Dec 22, 2022.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 4:33 PM

Noticed a new light on top last weekend

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin