HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:18 PM
Honored Member

Somewhere I read that they are going to plant sweet gums as well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:22 PM

I'm glad there are finally trees in the memorial

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 9:08 PM

they are doing so major dismantling of above the path tracks. seems like a lot of layers removed.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 12:12 AM

Well I guess having 80 foot trees in the Memorial Park is okay, I mean I guess there's nothing wrong with that...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 3:51 AM

The video says some of the trees come from Maryland.

The text says DC.

Do these people not know where the Pentagon is?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:27 AM
New Yorker for life

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/29/natu...?gallery0Pic=2

Nature Takes A Stand at World Trade Center Site

The 9/11 Memorial under construction (Rachel Pincus/Gothamist

Quote:
The long-awaited September 11 Memorial won't open at the World Trade Center site until September 11, 2011, but yesterday morning there were more signs of its progress as the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum and Port Authority planted the first Swamp White Oak trees that will surround the two reflecting pools. Director of design for the memorial and museum, Ron Vega, said, "Trees are about life. Trees are about renewal. You know when you plant a tree in someone’s name, it’s a moment of reflection and respect and here we are."

There will be over 400 trees planted at the site—the memorial, museum and the memorial plaza will comprise half of the 16 acre World Trade Center site. The trees have been growing in NJ since 2007: Currently, their average height is 30 feet—with leaf canopies between 18 and 20 feet wide—but they are expected to grow to 80 feet. The Port Authority also says a special cistern system was designed to help sustain the "urban forest" and the Memorial plaza, designed by Peter Walker and Partners Landscape Architecture, "will have an open turf glade for events every September, and numerous benches."

Joe Daniels, president of the National 9/11 Memorial and Museum, further emphasized, "There was nothing here - it was a pit. To see trees is sort of saying that you can have life back here on the site."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:13 AM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Somewhere I read that they are going to plant sweet gums as well.
lets hope so

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 7:09 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 7:22 PM

Amazing! Just amazing!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 7:39 PM

Uplighting in pools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Thanks for the pics NYguy... This has been bugging me for awhile now.

I have been unable to see in any of the closeups of the pools under construction, the uplights that are depicted in the renderings.

The perimeters of the pools clearly have lights at the walls shining through the cascading waterfalls, yet I can't see any fixtures that look like lights in the construction photos.

Anyone else see what I'm talking about? Lots of piping but nothing that looks like a lighting fixture.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:38 AM
JACKinBeantown

I see cables (possibly electrical cords) coming out of the wall below the black tiles. Seems that they're coming from the source of the electrical power, so that could mean more cables from the same source for future lighting fixtures.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:00 AM
TL;DR

I believe all the piping you see will be below the finished bottom level of the pits. They will come in and add a deck of black stone 12"-18" above the concrete level. Once they do this, the lights will probably be added.

Electrical is usually placed as late as possible in the construction cycle. If it needs to go in the walls, great. If not, you can mount it on top and then it's easier to service.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:16 AM

They've already started putting the stone down in the north pool, and its grey.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Getting there...

INylklko

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:50 PM

I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but what kind of energy will the two pools require? I'm assuming the constant pumping of water up to the top would need quite a bit of electricity to run the pumps. Would it be equivalent to lighting a small building or even a larger one? I just really don't know in terms of joules of energy the comparison of a pump versus a light?

Also, on a similar note, are these buildings LEED certified?

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:53 PM

Pool Uplights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I believe all the piping you see will be below the finished bottom level of the pits. They will come in and add a deck of black stone 12"-18" above the concrete level. Once they do this, the lights will probably be added.
Seems to me, they would not want exposed conduit since the water will be so shallow. And the falling water would cause wear on the fittings.

The most elegant solution would be to drill say, a 3" hole in selected tiles around the perimeters , then recess the fixtures under the tiles; but hard as I try - I don't see any openings or what look like glass lenses for underwater lights in the closeup pics posted.

Look at the North Pool - no evidence of any lighting there. HMMMM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but what kind of energy will the two pools require? I'm assuming the constant pumping of water up to the top would need quite a bit of electricity to run the pumps. Would it be equivalent to lighting a small building or even a larger one? I just really don't know in terms of joules of energy the comparison of a pump versus a light?

Also, on a similar note, are these buildings LEED certified?

Thanks
The renderings over exaggerate the falling water. It is not really a heavy torrent of water, it's more like something you'd see in a fountain.

Therefore it wouldn't take much energy to send it right back up to be pumped out again. And all the buildings at the WTC are going for the LEED gold standard in energy efficiency. 7WTC has already won that award.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 11:31 PM

Perfect! Thank you

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 12:14 AM
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
The renderings over exaggerate the falling water. It is not really a heavy torrent of water, it's more like something you'd see in a fountain.

Therefore it wouldn't take much energy to send it right back up to be pumped out again. And all the buildings at the WTC are going for the LEED gold standard in energy efficiency. 7WTC has already won that award.
yet for some reason they cant keep them running in winter. Yhats the only problem i have.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 1:36 AM
New Yorker for life

^ During the winter it will be icy and snowy. It may be a good idea not to have water running.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture