HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Tribeca West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 4:00 PM

Poor quality work, poor finishes, undercutting, and one of the oldest gives them the ability to A, finance their share of the projects, and B, has allowed them to gain vast tracts of prime urban(tonss inside greenbelt) development land... Unfortunately we would all be a lot happier if they hired some designers, and lost 10% of their floor space for architectural appeal... As always... I can dream right?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 12:22 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

The parking lot has ceased operations and excavation has begun. The sales office has been relocated to 91 Nepean Street.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I'll scan the document and post it.

Hey Aylmer, anyway you could post this for me if its still handy? Thanks, appreciate it...

P.S. It's the priceing sheet

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:02 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 3:21 PM

446 units in Tribeca? holy smokes. http://www.ottawasnewcondos.com/what-s-new

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
This project is going to make a significant impact on the skyline from the Queensway. I really hate that gap between Place Bell and the old EDC. New EDC is already filling a bit of that gap and Tribeca will help it along as well!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 12:21 AM

I never knew that weird Art-Deco White thing next to place bell was a parking garage structure...cool that southfacing could answer that for me...I can't wait to see them excavate that location, and the towers are gonna look soooo awesome set in front of the wall of office buildings around it...definately one of the new projects worth keeping track of!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerman View Post
446 units in Tribeca?
That's because they are building both towers at the same time instead of in phases like Plaza.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 11:33 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I never knew that weird Art-Deco White thing next to place bell was a parking garage structure...cool that southfacing could answer that for me...I can't wait to see them excavate that location, and the towers are gonna look soooo awesome set in front of the wall of office buildings around it...definately one of the new projects worth keeping track of!
Yeah that garage is public and you can go right to the top.. it will be a great place to take photos of Tribeca's progress.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 5:50 PM

I think it's time to remove "Portrait Gallery Site" from the project title as that possibility is long gone.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:51 PM
Mooderator

Done and done.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 9:01 PM

I wonder what grocery chain will go in the ground floor.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:30 AM

The construction technique for this foundation is a bit different from what I'm used to seeing: They are building a slurry-wall caisson around the perimeter of the property.

While I watched, some of the various stages could be seen. They were digging part of the trench (filled with slurry) in the north-west corner; they were building the re-bar cages, which appeared to be about 15' (5m) wide and 60' (18m) in length (the depth of the trench); and there were finished sections of the wall, both cured and curing. They were using both a 'Hydromill' type trencher and 'clam-shell' excavators for the trench.

I assume that the excavation will soon occur within this caisson since they have almost made it entirely around the property. The re-bar cages had angled tubes mounted within them to allow for future tie-backs to support the caisson walls as the soil was removed from within it.

The weird thing is that while I was there, they had drained the trench along the south side and were using a 'pile-driver' crane to repeatedly drop a tamping weight to pack the bottom of the trench. If it was important to keep the trench full of slurry during digging (to prevent wall collapse), I was wondering why it would be drained before the cage and concrete were added.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 3:00 PM

They were busy working on this at night when I went past (Nov 10, 2010).

DSC03200-resave by rakerman, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:02 AM

This is gonna look awesome when it's done, and it's going to really add nicely to that portion of the downtown...looking forward to seeing this one go skyward eventually...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 1:59 PM

Sobey's it is. The competition downtown is heating up...

Quote:
Sobeys confirms plans for Centretown store

Grocery store to occupy new condo complex on Metcalfe

By Jennifer Campbell, Ottawa Citizen December 13, 2010

Centretown is getting a Sobeys grocery store.

The national grocery chain confirmed this week it will fill the proposed grocery store space in the new 27-storey Claridge Homes condominium complex being built in the block between Lisgar and Nepean streets, on Metcalfe Street.

Residents had been hoping a new store would open since the Goldstein's supermarket, which was located on Elgin Street between Cooper and Somerset streets and had a popular lunch deli counter, closed more than two years ago. And now they're getting their wish, but they'll have to be patient. It's more than a year away from opening.

Tracy Chisholm, director of communications for Sobeys Ontario, confirmed this week that there would be a Sobeys store in the new complex and that it was slated to open in 2012, but she couldn't say how big it will be nor when, precisely, neighbours would be able to start shopping. She said it wouldn't necessarily coincide with the opening of the condominiums.

"Once the building is complete, then we have to get into the space and set up our store," she said. "That will take some time."

Four blocks away, at the corner of Bank and Somerset streets, there is a sizable grocery store called Hartman's, but for the many seniors who live in highrise buildings off Elgin Street and in the Golden Triangle, it's too far a walk. "If my little old ladies, who have a hard time walking, can get their groceries closer, I'm happy," said Pat Caven, who manages Perfect Books on Elgin Street.

Stanley Devine, who runs Dunn's Famous Deli on Elgin Street, is delighted. "It's not good, it's great," Devine said. "There's no one to give anyone a break on groceries."

Hartman's owner Larry Hartman said he "chose not to" return the Citizen's calls for comment on next year's arrival of competition in the large grocery store market and his general manager, Robert St. Amour, also refused to comment. Although they didn't speak to it, their store does offer a weekly bus service for seniors in the Centretown area. The service is provided in conjunction with Good Companions, a not-for-profit organization that helps seniors remain independent.

Sobeys has existing stores in Kanata and Orleans and has 1,300 stores in 10 provinces across the country.

The Nova Scotia-based chain's retail banners also include IGA, Foodland, Fresh-Co, Price Chopper and Thrifty Foods.
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sobeys+...#ixzz1804Hhfw9

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 9:35 PM

Thats great news, i know the sobeys in Orleans is 24h , i hope this one will be too.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 12:36 AM

Sobeys is good quality, even if a little on the pricey side. Great to see this stuff going forward!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 4:53 PM

Excavation is underway now that the slurry-wall caisson has been completed. Although it was a parking lot for many years, it is interesting to see the old brick and pipes being found.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Excavation is underway now that the slurry-wall caisson has been completed.
I may be wrong but I think engineers are taking a second look at that slury wall and excavation may be part of that process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa