HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTallPaul View Post
Better yet, it's water... how bad could it really have hurt?!?! It's not like they fell into a rock pit... it's water! LOL
Exactly. The worst thing that could happen to you in water is to drown or something.

I guess people just completely lose it when they get on juries. Either that or they are utterly mesmerized by lawyers who talk them into doing things they would never otherwise agree to do.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
You have to wonder why on earth intelligent, ordinary citizens would get on juries and agree to give these lawyers all this money, when it's obvious nothing wrong was done. Don't they understand that people simply fall into water and get hurt?
One word: Envy. The same base human failing that leads a person to declare that someone else doesn't "need" something that he himself would not or could not have for himself. Skillful lawyers can manipulate juries, but cannot force them to do anything that, deep in their hearts, they don't already want to do -- and that is to punish those who have more than they do. Cumulative, long term consequences are unintended, but very real. Many ordinary things that you and I enjoyed years ago are just too risky in today's legal environment, and that's too bad.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:31 PM

AIG is partnering with Novare on the Atlantic. AIG is the money pockets for this project so maybe this one is AIG's entry into the process and the 3rd tower we're hearing now is one of the original 2 planned by Novare from the outset. Who knows?

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
Many ordinary things that you and I enjoyed years ago are just too risky in today's legal environment, and that's too bad.
Yep. When I was a kid we thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread to ride down the road on the back of a truck or station wagon with the tailgate down. Nowadays they'd say you can't do that because some kid might fall off.

Anyway, it's a shame how the fear of somebody falling into the pond and then filing a lawsuit has messed up Atlantic Station and so many other water features in this country.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:45 PM

I was home sick last week and watching those damned ads all morning from lawyers. They about drove me into being a mass murderer of lawyers. You think I could plead some defense on those grounds because the ads made me do it? Those ads are what should be made illegal (not really -- stupidity needs made illegal!).

The concept of self responsibility doesn't exist any longer especially if you attend a government school to be educated as a child.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
The concept of self responsibility doesn't exist any longer especially if you attend a government school to be educated as a child.
I think you hit the nail on the head, though many will scream that you smashed their thumbs in the process. That's another once-great institution that has been kidnapped and dragged into mediocrity.

But I really didn't intend to kidnap this Atlantic Station thread. While we all regret that there is no direct access to the fenced-off pond, it does at least provide a scenic backdrop and a magnet for waterfowl. In my book, that's better than wasting a few back acres to hide this necessary retention pond. Besides, front-facing balconies could be fun for trap shooters!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:04 PM

Yeah,

My thoughts on the rendering is that it's pretty close to what's there too. Maybe just me and fact I work in construction and see renderings and final products all the time and understand concept vs reality.

Sorry please please please don't respond to my brain thinking outloud and touch off another debate for those that think every blade of grass must be the most ideal perfect creation ever intended. Thus the sum of the parts is not what makes something but each component is a separate entity and should be perfect outright in itself. Oh lord stop brain stop now! My humor for the day that most will miss....oh no hear i go again i'm logging off now!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:30 PM

[QUOTE=jason21atl;2686697]I recall an article about housing at Atlantic Station in the AJC sometime last year. It was talking about the tremendous sucess of the housing components of Atlantic Station and a representative of AIG (or possibly Jacoby) said that they would be doing all future residential development in Atlantic Station themselves. It said that early on, Novare had inked a deal to build two towers at Atlantic Station and Lane Co. and signed on to do 6 projects. Since they were so successful, AIG and Jacoby decided they would do any further residential projects themselves. They also interviewed a Novare representative who said they were very bullish on Atlantic Station and would love to do more projects there if deals could be worked out with AIG and Jacoby. AIG made it clear that while they had a great relationship with Novare, they wanted to get in on the money to be made in the residential part of Atlantic Station. QUOTE]

The Atlantic JV is Novare's only development in AS outside of 12.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
How this scene was going to look (should have looked).... Nice brownstones around the eliptical lake instead of the stuff there now:

That rendering was created in the spring of 1998 and those "brownstones" are actually Post garden apartments...I agree, real brownstones or city walk-ups e.g. Back Bay or Georgetown would look great. Thankfully in two years the trees out there will be close to the same size as those in the rendering...patience grasshopper, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 3:39 PM

Yeah, I hate how that pond is plocked off by that fence.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 9:30 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASInsider View Post
Back Bay or Georgetown would look great. Thankfully in two years the trees out there will be close to the same size as those in the rendering...patience grasshopper, Rome wasn't built in a day.
I agree it is a good look...just not our look. If Atlanta wants a unique urban setting, it's got to create its own look. As much as there might be lacking in the AS look, it is somewhat unique- perhaps one day if the style is further developed cities will aspire to have the Atlanta look. Patience is the key...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 9:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
Yeah, I hate how that pond is plocked off by that fence.
That pond isn't what I would exactly call recreationally (is that even a word?) friendly! Imagine you take your 8 kids out to feed the ducks and you turn your back for two minutes and notice your 2 year old floating in the Atlantic Station pond!!! I would be pissed. If the grade of the slope to the pond was not so steep I would say leave the fence out the equation, but considering how it is today. I think it is appropriate.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:26 PM

I believe that a fair characterization of Atlantic Station would be that it is Atlanta's first attempt at large scale "New Urbanism" project: flawed but setting a standard that other projects can and will improve upon.

You can always tell the pioneers, they are the ones with the arrows in their back.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 10:31 PM

La fitness opened last friday. Looks very nice.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind_Phips View Post
That pond isn't what I would exactly call recreationally (is that even a word?) friendly! Imagine you take your 8 kids out to feed the ducks and you turn your back for two minutes and notice your 2 year old floating in the Atlantic Station pond!!! I would be pissed. If the grade of the slope to the pond was not so steep I would say leave the fence out the equation, but considering how it is today. I think it is appropriate.

But that's how we handle that situation in the South. Here if you are going to take a kid to a cement pond, or large body of water. First you go with them, when they're not looking, you snatch them up, and throw them a good 15-20 feet out into the water. Then if they can learn to swim, and make it back to shore, you know it's safe for them to come back out on their own. That's how it's been done for generations.

Yeah, and as far as AS being a pioneer, just look at Colony Square, and look at all the problems they had, going bankrupt, struggling to rent their retail, etc. Now it's thriving, but they went through seveal lean years as the "pioneer" when that area was a bit of a no-man's land.

Also, just look in the papers how any project that even aspires to any sort of urbanism, ALWAYS, works in some reference or comparison to Atlantic Station. It's definitely the benchmark in Atlanta now for urbanism. Maybe not the best example, but the one that everyone knows and relates to.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I'm glad that the same line of reasoning wasn't followed with the Piedmont Park lake. If my kid fell into that I'd have to get them a tetanus shot.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Gee, it sounds like you have already given in to lawyer think. If you take your kids out to feed the ducks at a detention pond like that and one of them slips in when you're not looking, are you going to contend that you didn't realize it had really steep slopes where people shouldn't walk? Are you going to claim you didn't know that the deep water started right at the edge? Or that just because there wasn't a fence and a slew of warning signs that you thought it was okay to get near the pond? Or that there was some sort of implied invitation for you come down and see the ducks? Or that because it was your first time there the owner of the property knew more about it than you did? Or maybe you'd like to claim there's a problem with the owner not complying with safety codes or industry practice?

If I were defending Atlantic Station I'd simply point out, "Hey, you were the one who brought them down there and who looked away for a split second." Any jury would surely see it my way.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 3:27 PM

Andrea -- you make sense and court's of law would side against you in a heart beat! That's the problem with the world. We aren't personally liable for being stupid anymore didn't you get the memo!

Why do you think bic lighters have a safety switch now. Some stupid woman left her lighter on a coffee table and her 2 year old unsupervised picked it up and 'accidentally' lit himself on fire. She filed suit and won hands down because the court said....'bic should have seen the potential for such an incident to happen and taken measures to protect against it'. NO LIE!

Therefore now we have warning about hot coffee, safety switches on lighters and railings around concrete ponds to name just 3 reasons stupidty has won out over logic in America.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 3:30 PM

Chris -- that's child cruelty now! Didn't you get the memo on that too? Also, helmets for a kid riding a bike.....hell, i'd never made it to be 34 in today's world cause that's how I learned to swim pretty much and I fell so many times without a helmet learning to ride a bike...maybe that's what's wrong with me though.....LOL! OK, enough back to AS info.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Chris -- that's child cruelty now! Didn't you get the memo on that too? Also, helmets for a kid riding a bike.....hell, i'd never made it to be 34 in today's world cause that's how I learned to swim pretty much and I fell so many times without a helmet learning to ride a bike...maybe that's what's wrong with me though.....LOL! OK, enough back to AS info.
Yeah----kids are pussies!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta