HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:32 AM

Geee- this thread goes from zero to 60 in no time.

Any development rumors circulating???

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 2:04 PM

Bill puts federal courthouse proposal back on track
By JERRY ZREMSKI
News Washington Bureau Chief
1/31/2007

WASHINGTON Prospects for quick construction of a $130 million federal courthouse in Buffalo improved dramatically Tuesday, as House leaders unexpectedly decided to include $280.87 million for such projects in a must-pass spending bill that Congress will consider in early February.
As a result, construction of the building hailed as a cornerstone of downtown Buffalo's redevelopment - could start as early as March, said U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny.

"We're cautiously optimistic," Skretny said. "I think it's really good news."

While the spending bill does not target funding to any one courthouse, the Buffalo project is the U.S. judiciary's top priority. That's why Skretny and local members of Congress said construction of the much-delayed project now looks more likely than it ever had before.

"This federal funding allocation for courthouses should be a green light . . . to begin construction of the Buffalo courthouse," said Sen. Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y.

The bill still has to pass both houses of Congress, and under its language, the General Services Administration which oversees federal construction will decide how the money is spent.

The agency typically has followed the judiciary's priority list, and both Skretny and Rep. Brian Higgins, D-Buffalo, said they spoke with agency officials Tuesday and picked up positive signs about the agency's funding the Buffalo project.

"I am very confident that the bill will include that $280 million for courthouse construction, and I am very confident that Buffalo will get its money," Higgins said.

The House Appropriations Committee, which is drawing up the spending bill, included the courthouse money in its first draft of the bill.

The legislation doesn't specifically target funding for Buffalo, in part because the new Democratic Congress vowed to include no such "earmarks" in the spending bill, which will fund the federal government through Sept. 30.

Noting, though, that last year's Republican House was on track to include no courthouse money in the bill, congressional aides said the $280 million was a sign of the new clout that congressional Democrats such as Schumer and Rep. Louise M. Slaughter, D-Fairport, have in the new Democratic Congress.

"It is imperative that GSA prioritize courthouse construction funds to build the city and the citizens of Buffalo a courthouse they deserve," Slaughter said.

Previously, courthouse construction nationwide had been delayed because of a dispute between the GSA and the judiciary over how much the courts should pay for rent. But that's not expected to be an obstacle this time, said Richard Carelli, spokesman for the Administrative Office of U.S. Courts.

"We know that our No. 1 priority for 2007 is Buffalo," he said. "We also know that Buffalo needs about $130 million. Whether Buffalo gets all of that money is up to the GSA."

Higgins said Anthony Costa, deputy commissioner of the GSA's Public Buildings Service, told him the agency may fund the Buffalo project over two years, meaning the building might not be completed until after the start of the 2008 federal fiscal year Oct. 1.

Agency officials did not respond to a request to comment. But just to make sure the GSA doesn't veer from the judiciary's priority list, Rep. Thomas M. Reynolds, R-Clarence, Thursday wrote a letter to the agency's administrator to press for the funding.

"This funding is of utmost importance," said the letter, which Higgins and Slaughter also signed. "We have a responsibility to provide the judiciary with adequate and secure facilities in which to conduct their work."

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20070131/1048546.asp

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 2:36 PM

Great news about the courthouse.

Rumor is that the Gates Circle condo tower design could be out in a week or so.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 3:20 PM

You beat me to the Court House info. That is GREAT NEWS! Lets cross our fingers

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Great news about the courthouse.

Rumor is that the Gates Circle condo tower design could be out in a week or so.
Anyone want to guesstimate the height of the tower? The Gates Circle condo website is quite vague saying it will be 15-20 stories with no mention of how many feet the building will be.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:05 AM

My guess is zero feet tall with the "historic structure" designation to the neighbors. I'm sure that the NIMBY's can kill this project faster than they killed the elmwood hotel.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue B View Post
Anyone want to guesstimate the height of the tower? The Gates Circle condo website is quite vague saying it will be 15-20 stories with no mention of how many feet the building will be.
I'm guessing they trot out a 20 story project- 250' tall; and have a Plan 'B' of 15-16 stories to appease the cranky old stiffs at 33 Gates. There's no way the City is going to turn it down. But the neighbors are sure to sue over the environmental review- count on it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:59 AM
Trendy.

I'll take 15 stories at the Circle, easily.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:30 AM
try being in the Buff

They have to top out higher than the other buildings if they are going to sell Million dollar units. There is also a proven market for units in the half mill range in this neighborhood. Those new townhouses nearby are averaging 400K with a waiting list for the developers next project. I think they will do more than 1 tower on the site.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:11 AM
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
Those new townhouses nearby are averaging 400K with a waiting list for the developers next project. I think they will do more than 1 tower on the site.
do you have any info on their next townhome project???? (like where)

For gates circle - could they fit more than one tower? It's not that big of a site.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 9:37 AM

A 250 ft. tower at Gates Circle? That might look a bit odd. Let's get a 250 ft. tower downtown.

I have been in the Harrisburg-Baltimore corridor too long. I make my triumphant return to Buffalo in 2008. One more year of purgatory. In some ways, be thankful you don't see crazy amounts of sprawl, or as I call it here, "fake growth".....aka the influx of Marylanders into Pennsylvania, due to housing prices (mostly). Maybe other parts of Pennsylvania are keen on urban planning, but this particular area isn't.

Sprawl here is awful. Now it's being infiltrated with suv/mini-van driving, latte' drinking, soccer mum bastages. I've had my fill of this place. There's nothing special about it. People in Buffalo need to realize not every other place in Amerika is some sort of shangri-la. Plus, you can never get a decent pizza here at all.

The people here are semi-friendly, but not really outgoing.....maybe something bad happened here a long time ago and they keep secrets.

Not that it is terrible, but I won't miss the place.....Harrisburg has plenty of problems, along with York and Baltimore seems to rack up a few murders per day.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:59 PM

Thumbs up

UB to expand near downtown Buffalo medical campus

Plans to grow to 35,000 students include substantial investments around complex

By SHARON LINSTEDT
News Business Reporter
2/1/2007

The University at Buffalo's master plan will mean a significant investment and presence in downtown Buffalo, officials say.
Robert Shibley, UB professor of architecture and urban planning, said the long-range program to increase the physical reach of the university and boost enrollment will include development surrounding the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus.

"This is not about moving pieces around on the game board. This will be new development," Shibley said.

UB's plans are expected to boost its economic impact in the entire region from a current $1.5 billion to more than $2.1 billion during the next 15 years, officials say.

"We are one of the bigger economic games in town," Shibley said, and it's a role that will increase.

Last June, UB opened its $200 million Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics & Life Sciences, joining Roswell Park Cancer Institute's Center for Genetics and Pharmacology and the Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute on the new medical campus.

While additional investment in educational facilities is likely, UB's enhanced downtown presence also will include ventures to support UB students, faculty and staff involved in the medical campus, Shibley said.

"We'll need to develop residential space, parking and services - for example, a mixed-use complex with parking and apartments for docs on the top floor. It won't just be labs or classrooms," Shibley said.

He said UB most likely will invest within a four- or five-block radius of the medical campus, roughly the area bounded by Michigan Avenue and Main, High and Goodell streets.

While no specific plans have been made public, Shibley said UB has "several potential acquisitions and leases in play."

Shibley presented an overview of UB's evolving master plan Wednesday to the Buffalo Place board of directors. The long-range planning effort aims to increase enrollment at UB to more than 35,000 over 15 years from from a current 25,000 in conjunction with physical expansion at its North Campus in Amherst and South Campus on Main Street, as well as the downtown site.

He noted that the university has earmarked $400 million for overall development in the next five years. The lion's share of specifics will become known in May 2008, when a final draft of expansion efforts is expected to be completed.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
do you have any info on their next townhome project???? (like where)

For gates circle - could they fit more than one tower? It's not that big of a site.
I heard that Johnson's next project described as 'condos.' Not sure if that means a copy of what he's finishing on Brantford though. I do know that it is very close to Elmwood.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:39 PM
Go Pens!

Meh...I'm really not too excited about that Gates condo thing. it fails to hold my attention, and i personally think i'd rather see it built downtown. I don't see it living up to some of the gothic/classic apartment towers around the Delaware area. Then again, there are some really funky looking apartment towers in that area also.

What they need to do is update the hospital across the circle. that thing is frlippin ugly.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:13 PM
seriously

The hospital on Gates circle may be shut down. If that happens the whole hospital site could be available for re-development.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 8:07 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
The hospital on Gates circle may be shut down. If that happens the whole hospital site could be available for re-development.
Well, maybe then the condo thing would blend better if something attractive was developed there. That'd be interesting...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 2:16 PM

The Mansion on Delaware ranked among top five hotels

By JONATHAN D. EPSTEIN
News Business Reporter
2/7/2007

One of Buffalo's smallest but most prominent hotels has been named among the top five hotels in America for 2007 by the internationally known Zagat survey for its service quality.

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue earned the guide's highest ranking for service. It shares that spot with only four other hotels - two Four Seasons resorts in Hawaii, Twin Farms in Woodstock, Vt., and the Inn at Little Washington in Washington, Va. According to the Zagat, the ranking equates to "perfection."

The 28-room urban hotel also tied for the second-highest ranking for room quality for top small hotels with less than 100 rooms, in both cases considered "extraordinary" by the guide.

The hotel boasts of a year-round occupancy rate of about 85 percent, with nearly 80 percent last month and over 90 percent in the summer. That means it's often filled when people call. "Our problem is that we don't have enough rooms," Principe said.

So Murphy and Principe are considering expanding the existing building or adding an annex nearby. They may also open locations in five other Northeast cities, again using old mansions in urban locations.

However, Principe said they don't want more than 50 rooms in any location, so staff can keep up the level of service the hotel is known for. "You can't get too big in a concept like this because you can't service them," Principe explained. "We don't ever want to lose that."

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 10:05 PM

Is there any news on gates? I am very excited to see what they have planned.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 12:54 AM

Someone asked about Gates tower design. I've heard it is done and Uniland is going to unveil it when all of the members of the Montante family are in town and available. I haven't heard anything about size or design.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 5:29 PM
welcome to the madness

Courthouse Update (sort of):

Just read in the biz journal that while we were getting snowed on for Valentine's day, Brian Higgins was arguing our case for the new courthouse before Congress, which in it's own way is a nice Valentine for the city. Sounds like everything is ready to go except the money which will probably be in this year's budget.

Also there was a good piece in the Snooze from Bob D. in the sports section about Bass Pro...who was it here that suggested Cabela's as a replacement? Well he likes that idea too.

It'd be great if we could get some actual development news, but at least we're still talking about these important project in the winter doldrums. Hopefully we'll get some more steel and concrete when we get "may flowers."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations