HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 4:32 AM

At some point, someone will do some historical research, find a couple diaries from Brutalist artists and designers from the 60s, and we'll learn that they were all trying to put one over on us, with their "art".

"Dear Diary: Today, I 'sculpted' a horrid, ugly wall and was paid $5,000 to do so. I cannot tell you how hilarious this is. One day, they will learn the truth when they read these words: I paid a local construction worker to pour the concrete while I drank beer at a pub up the street"

"Dear Diary: so, I completed the design for the local university's 'Center for Arts'... As a infinite joke, I've designed it to look like a massive industrial factory. "

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 1:01 AM

Got on the roof of Cambridge Suites today and took some pictures.

Also ground level

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 12:52 PM

That ugly glass box on the corner of SGR and Queen really impairs the view.

Seriously, it's a shame the wires and poles were not undergrounded around this block. They really are ugly and detract from the look.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:03 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I think where there is any new development of this magnitude, there should be a requirement to have services go underground! When this area is finished it will all be newly rebuilt, it should not have any overhead wiring.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:22 PM
hi

I'm surprised that the 6-storey library is taller than the 9-storey Mary Ann; I had just assumed it would be the other way around...

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:27 PM

This is the first time I noticed the huge "RENT" banner stuck to the side of Fenwick.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This is the first time I noticed the huge "RENT" banner stuck to the side of Fenwick.
I've noticed it before when in the area and have to say it's a bit of an eyesore. Plus Fenwick is in desperate need of a pressure wash.

Of course all that will be a "wash" if the redevelopment ever occurs...

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Desperate times require desperate measures.
More landlords are now requiring the tenant to pay for utilities. Across from me an apartment in an older home is vacant for the first time in many years - 5 minutes to the bridge terminal and 10 to the ferry.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Desperate times require desperate measures.
More landlords are now requiring the tenant to pay for utilities. Across from me an apartment in an older home is vacant for the first time in many years - 5 minutes to the bridge terminal and 10 to the ferry.
My building is full. No vacancies. No desperation.

Anecdotes prove...

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Tacky as hell. Really dislike.

Aren't they supposed to be fixing up Fenwick?

Or are they still litigating with STV over the 1 inch impingement on viewplanes?

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 1:56 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I think where there is any new development of this magnitude, there should be a requirement to have services go underground! When this area is finished it will all be newly rebuilt, it should not have any overhead wiring.
I thought some of the lines were going to be buried. Maybe it will happen later on once construction is wrapped up? Or maybe it just won't be done along Clyde Street.

This used to be just a small neighbourhood but it is one of the most densely built-up parts of the city now, or it will be once the final parking lots are developed.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I thought some of the lines were going to be buried. Maybe it will happen later on once construction is wrapped up? Or maybe it just won't be done along Clyde Street.
I'm almost certain the lines are to be buried on Queen. Not so sure about Clyde. I suspect it'll be done at the same time they do sidewalk reinstatement.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:21 AM

In town for a visit. Taken yesterday:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 9:20 PM

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 PM

How soon is this one going to be finished, sleep country said they were going to move into this spot but I can't see it being finished in time. I also hate the brick on this one and found it to be unexpected as there wasn't any indication it would be used in any of the renderings

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 11:00 PM

Sleep Country seems to be moving into the new building on SGR a block away from this one.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2015, 11:40 PM

I am preparing to be disappointed by this. Like others I am surprised to see red brick and it still has those gawdaful porthole windows. One has to question how such a pedestrian structure can end up being built on such a heavily-planned site.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Sleep Country seems to be moving into the new building on SGR a block away from this one.
That's excellent. They must have been doing well at their last location, as this would have been a handy excuse to retreat back to big box locations.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:02 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
I am preparing to be disappointed by this. Like others I am surprised to see red brick and it still has those gawdaful porthole windows. One has to question how such a pedestrian structure can end up being built on such a heavily-planned site.
I like the size, I like the mass, I like the podium, I could have forgiven the brick but not with the port holes, those round windows are are the worst. The renderings I have seen of the next one are much better. I actually told the planner and architect "I'm okay with the first one, but I think I can love the second one."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 5:55 AM
Dartmouth Girl

The building is okay starting from groundlevel going up- even forgiving the brick..and terrible round windows.. It loses me at the overhang around the roof. Is that some sort of addition, like the (silly) idea that stripes on a car make it go faster? .. Wing-ed looking overhang on the top of a building makes it...more.. aerodynamic? lol It would look so much better without that, in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth