HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

$129M plan for the ByWard Market isn't worth the spending
The fact that the Market is not planned is part of what makes it attractive. It’s a bit funky in a city that could use a lot more of it.

Randall Denley
Publishing date: Dec 08, 2020 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

Here we go again. Ottawa Council is set to approve a $129.1-million plan to transform the ByWard Market into something much more attractive to city planners and those who detest automobiles.

The plan does not lack for ambition. Virtually every street will be redesigned to connect with the city’s “vision” of the Market. Much parking will be eliminated, including the city parking garage at 70 Clarence St., which will be replaced by a “destination building” of undetermined purpose. There will be space for smallish public festivals, more trees, fancy streetlights, better “wayfinding” and in a true innovation, public washrooms. One will enter this new “public realm” by way of a special gateway at Rideau Street and Sussex Drive, to be the subject of a national design competition.

A lot of effort has gone into this latest attempt to fix the ByWard Market, but the city report falls a little short in describing what, exactly, is wrong with the Market now. The staff report calls the Market “a remarkable place” that is “complex, historic and well-used.” The report includes an estimate that the Market receives an average of 50,000 visitors a weekend. Not exactly a total flop.

Nevertheless, apparently people are going to the Market for the wrong reasons. Mayor Jim Watson, the master thinker of city hall, says the Market “just can’t be a place for restaurants and bars and shops. It has to go back to its roots.” By its roots, he means selling local fresh food.

That would be a super idea if it were 1850 or even 1950. It’s true that the ByWard Market used to be the predominant produce market in the city, but those days are long gone and they aren’t coming back. Ottawa is awash in farmers’ markets. There are 16 others in the city, enabling shoppers who want to buy local to get the produce they need from real farmers close to home. When it comes to the Market, the market has spoken.

That’s not to say the Market couldn’t be improved. Any part of the city could be improved. It’s just that the odds of the city planning bureaucracy improving it are not too spectacular. For proof, one need do no more than stroll up to Sparks Street.

Maybe a pedestrian mall was a good new idea back in the 1960s, but it hasn’t been successful for decades. No matter, the city is spending up to $83 million on its latest pretty-up of the street, hoping that might somehow do something. When government imposes its own plan for a neighbourhood, it will stick with that plan doggedly, no matter how many decades of failure accumulate.

What would make the Market better? I don’t know. Neither do you. Jim Watson certainly doesn’t. Judging by their latest grandiose scheme, the planning experts at city hall don’t either.

That’s not a criticism, it’s just a reality, a concept in short supply when it comes to urban planning. The city’s Market plan, like most such plans, relies on two fallacious assumptions. The first is that the Market must be something incredibly special and the second is that consultants, planners and politicians can figure out what that is and make it happen.

The ByWard Market neighbourhood was developed organically over time and it continues to adapt to people’s changing needs and preferences, something that can’t be determined by city hall planners. The fact that the Market is not planned is part of what makes it attractive. It’s a neighbourhood that’s a bit funky in a city that could use a lot more of it.

The Market is a pleasant place to visit, especially if you live close enough to walk to it. The city’s plan would make it modestly more attractive to some but reducing parking will make it less accessible for others. That’s not good enough to justify spending $129.1 million.

Randall Denley is an Ottawa political commentator and author. Contact him at randalldenley1@gmail.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/de...h-the-spending

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:04 PM

^ Ah, another article from Mr. Randall "COVID is no big deal; let's be more like Florida" Denley. *eyeroll*

Not worth the time with this one.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:19 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Randall Denley

What would make the Market better? I don’t know.
Thanks for the input Randall, very constructive.

Quote:

That’s not a criticism, it’s just a reality, a concept in short supply when it comes to urban planning. The city’s Market plan, like most such plans, relies on two fallacious assumptions. The first is that the Market must be something incredibly special and the second is that consultants, planners and politicians can figure out what that is and make it happen.

The ByWard Market neighbourhood was developed organically over time and it continues to adapt to people’s changing needs and preferences, something that can’t be determined by city hall planners. The fact that the Market is not planned is part of what makes it attractive. It’s a neighbourhood that’s a bit funky in a city that could use a lot more of it.
so much to unpack here. Everything that already exists developed organicaly, city-enforced parking minimums and other car-oriented policy have not had an effect on the built form apparently. Planners are incapable of improving anything, the mayor likewise. They had zero role in the building of the market, and its historical transformation, for example the transition from market stalls to parking stalls.

Does the market NEED to be something incredibly special in order for the community to deserve better urban planning?

Quote:

The Market is a pleasant place to visit, especially if you live close enough to walk to it. The city’s plan would make it modestly more attractive to some but reducing parking will make it less accessible for others. That’s not good enough to justify spending $129.1 million.

Parking =! accessibility. The market is one of the most accessible places in the city by transit. I'm not sure how losing a few parking stalls will make a difference when its already very difficult to drive around the market.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 6:38 PM

Wow. So much to unpack.

First and foremost, tourism is Ottawa's what, third largest industry? A safe, attractive, inviting ByWard Market is essential to the health of Ottawa's economy. A few of the speakers for the tourism industry spoke last week to highlight how visitors often leave with a bad taste in their mouths. We need to do something about that.

On the parking issue, I think the planners came-up with a good balance in providing pedestrians more space, more space for festivals and major events, while still maintaining a generous amount of parking. Yes the parking garage will be demolished, but the City has a plan to maintain those spots by partnering with a private developer nearby.

Yes, the Market is a popular spot, but it's a bit of a tourist trap. Everyone wants to go, but often find crappy made-in-China Canadian branded merchandise, lots of social problems, countless bars and restaurants, but not much of a Market. Tourists might get wise to this eventually and we have to improve the Market before that happens.

As Denley points out himself, produce Markets are popping up everywhere, and that's because they are gaining in popularity. With the current climate crisis, more and more of us are looking local for food and merchandise. Yes we have a few smaller Markets all over, but it's important that the ByWard remains the principal destination. Not to mention the thousands who live within walking distance who may not want to make one huge grocery per week, but instead by local/fresh every day for their daily consumption.

We're not trying to replace all the bars and restaurants for food vendors, but return some of its former glory within City owned properties at the area's core.

Anyone who walks in the Market should be able to enjoy the area yet still see it needs a lot of work. Good bones, but needs some TLC. More importantly, we can't forget the more important issues, those that can't be fixed with new lighting and pavers, and those are the social issues.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 11:35 PM

I would like to provide my point of view on this matter as a member of one of the oldest Byward Market farmer's family. The market has always been something close to my heart.

Sure, the Byward needs some TLC, but this isn't the cause of its slow death. Walking in the market this summer, I notice there's only 2 families left selling vegetables and this breaks my heart. But we have to be realistic, we live in another time.

One used to be able to buy edge cedars, sod, perennials, live animals and many more. There even was a animal scale. Do you really think someone would come buy a pig in the market in our time? It is delusional to think we can get back the market that used to be.

According to me, the slow death was mostly caused by two factors. 1-changes in consumer habits, 2-bad management.

For my first point, yes we don't buy livestock as urban citizens anynore, but also we don't make big flower and vegetable gardens as we used to. Lots of people like to buy instant flower arrangements such as patio pots. No one will carry a 50lbs flower arrangement on the bus. This is where lack of parking in proximity is an issue in the market. Big heavy purchases like hanging baskets or 50lbs of potatoes are more car accessible at a big box store. Also, as a consumer, I would rather buy my vegetables in a grocery store where the products where kept at optimal temperature instead of standing in the sun all day.

My second point is bad management. Most people don't know how much trouble it is to go to the market as a farmer. The parking spaces (stall spaces) are expensive to rent. You have to add insurance (so the city or farmer doesn't get sued if a customer injure themselves. On top of that theres all the guidelines to respect. There's the lack of space for the farmer to park their truck/car without removing space for their customers. (No, a farmer won't take public transit). The byward market management never should have allowed for resellers to have spots that compete with local producers, and they should have greatly decreased the fees. Its only recently that they reduced the rent (in panick, once it was too late). My family left a few years ago.

It might sound like I'm complaining, but it isnt the case. I'm just listing the things I saw from selling in the byward market. It was a difficult decision when we decided to leave, but we concentrated our efforts on our small store. We greatly increased our sales, and customers can buy directly from production on our property. Doing this helped us save time as we don't have to ship a truck load everyday downtown. (It used to be more than 1 load per day, and 4 vendors instead of 1) We adapted with our time, not waiting for our business to die like the market is doing.

I don't know how to fix the byward. I truly believe that a big interior market like the St-Lawrence market, or the marché Jean-Talon could succeed, but it would need to be a location where someone couldn't find its products elsewhere. Artisan jams, cured meats, bakery products, artisan sauces and dressings... but products you can't find at Parkdale, Lansdowne, or the grocery stores. The rents would need to be extremely affordable. I think this could make the market the place to be for ottawa's citizen and tourists.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:48 AM

Perhaps the new “destination building” can host a proper market.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:34 AM

Maybe they should look at a reduced schedule. St Jacobs only operates twice a week, which means actual farmers and artisans have an incentive to go to the market to sell, few can commit to operating a stall 7 days a week, which encourages the resellers.

In a lot of European cities, he the market theme changes. It might be produce one day, flowers, the next, antiques the next, etc.

Last edited by acottawa; Dec 9, 2020 at 5:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
I would like to provide my point of view on this matter as a member of one of the oldest Byward Market farmer's family. The market has always been something close to my heart.

Sure, the Byward needs some TLC, but this isn't the cause of its slow death. Walking in the market this summer, I notice there's only 2 families left selling vegetables and this breaks my heart. But we have to be realistic, we live in another time.

One used to be able to buy edge cedars, sod, perennials, live animals and many more. There even was a animal scale. Do you really think someone would come buy a pig in the market in our time? It is delusional to think we can get back the market that used to be.

According to me, the slow death was mostly caused by two factors. 1-changes in consumer habits, 2-bad management.

For my first point, yes we don't buy livestock as urban citizens anynore, but also we don't make big flower and vegetable gardens as we used to. Lots of people like to buy instant flower arrangements such as patio pots. No one will carry a 50lbs flower arrangement on the bus. This is where lack of parking in proximity is an issue in the market. Big heavy purchases like hanging baskets or 50lbs of potatoes are more car accessible at a big box store. Also, as a consumer, I would rather buy my vegetables in a grocery store where the products where kept at optimal temperature instead of standing in the sun all day.

My second point is bad management. Most people don't know how much trouble it is to go to the market as a farmer. The parking spaces (stall spaces) are expensive to rent. You have to add insurance (so the city or farmer doesn't get sued if a customer injure themselves. On top of that theres all the guidelines to respect. There's the lack of space for the farmer to park their truck/car without removing space for their customers. (No, a farmer won't take public transit). The byward market management never should have allowed for resellers to have spots that compete with local producers, and they should have greatly decreased the fees. Its only recently that they reduced the rent (in panick, once it was too late). My family left a few years ago.

It might sound like I'm complaining, but it isnt the case. I'm just listing the things I saw from selling in the byward market. It was a difficult decision when we decided to leave, but we concentrated our efforts on our small store. We greatly increased our sales, and customers can buy directly from production on our property. Doing this helped us save time as we don't have to ship a truck load everyday downtown. (It used to be more than 1 load per day, and 4 vendors instead of 1) We adapted with our time, not waiting for our business to die like the market is doing.

I don't know how to fix the byward. I truly believe that a big interior market like the St-Lawrence market, or the marché Jean-Talon could succeed, but it would need to be a location where someone couldn't find its products elsewhere. Artisan jams, cured meats, bakery products, artisan sauces and dressings... but products you can't find at Parkdale, Lansdowne, or the grocery stores. The rents would need to be extremely affordable. I think this could make the market the place to be for ottawa's citizen and tourists.
Thanks from your perspective. It's not often we get the point of view from a (former) vendor. The City and consultants always seem to think they know best, but do they even bother consulting the farmers?

I agree the Market can never return to its "roots" as far back as the days of trading livestock or running it as a nursery. We would need to focus on the more basic produce, meat, dairy, canned goods and local crafts. Maybe a few other things.

We can't expect a commuter on transit to stop at the Market and buy pounds of anything. Maybe a small bag full of fruits and veggies at best. Not even sure we can get those commuting by car to buy much, except maybe on weekends if they go out of the way for a trip to the Market. It might be better to focus on locals who live within a kilometer, tourists and suburban weekend warriors.

I agree resellers should be banned. Made-in-China junk should be banned. The Market aspect should be exclusively for local farmers and artisans.

As mentioned, the new "destination building" should include a large Market floor to make the area more viable rain or shine, summer or winter. Outdoor stalls can continue to be provided during late spring, summer and fall. And yes, if the City needs to either lower their rental costs and/or cover the insurance, I'm all for it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Dreessen: ByWard Market plan needs a bolder vision of excellence

Toon Dreessen, OBJ
December 8, 2020

On Wednesday, Ottawa council will consider a $129-million plan to revamp the ByWard Market with new pedestrian plazas and a “destination building” that would replace the Clarence Street parking garage among other recommendations.

The ByWard Market Public Realm Plan is the culmination of years of consultation and work to engage the public in ongoing efforts to reimagine the historic civic space.

But even if approved, the plan will still face challenges – as well as opportunities for one of Ottawa’s most well-known destinations to continue to evolve and become a world-class destination befitting the nation’s capital.

Design

The design vision presented is modest. Its focus continues the tradition of prioritizing cars. The renderings of the proposed development reflect consistency with the “tabletop parking” and flex space used in the recent reconstruction of Elgin Street. The design relies on bollards to separate pedestrians from cars, making the spaces less accessible in winter. This is consistent with the snow-clearing challenges on MacKenzie Avenue, inhibiting accessibility and year-round use of public space.

The new plan makes most streets 3.5 metres wide in an effort to slow vehicle traffic down. Promoting slow speeds means narrowing the lanes, introducing raised pedestrian crossings and making pedestrians the priority. This is successful if the streets are designed as woonerfs, a Dutch style of street where driving is restricted to walking speed.

Funding

The report has likely cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. It joins reports done in 2004 and 2015, 2016 and 2017 on which no appreciable action has been taken. The 2020 approval contains no funding mechanism and an implementation plan of $129 million.

The city is hoping design and construction dollars will come from the feds or the province, and the report also recommends a public-private partnership as a funding mechanism. But we only have to look at other failed P3 models to see that P3 will privatize a public asset, cost more and lead to mediocre results.

Public consultation

Feedback from a pro-bono report done by my firm, Architects DCA, clearly shows that people want a pedestrianized public space.

The city’s own “as we heard it” report includes 857 responses to the question “how do we achieve your vision?” Half wanted the creation of pedestrian-only zones, removal of parking from the core of the Market and better cycling facilities.

The final report notes that it ensures “pedestrian and cycling modes were considered and prioritized, but in balance with transit and vehicular travel” and that the design “has attempted to strike a balance between all street users” but continues to make cars and parking a priority. The study area includes three kilometres of streets, of which 200 metres (two blocks, separated by a street) are reserved exclusively for pedestrians. That doesn’t suggest that a balance between cars and pedestrians was achieved.

So what can we do differently?

Design:

The report calls for a design competition for the intersection of Rideau Street and Sussex Drive. Design competitions should become the norm. They can be used to spur a broad public conversation and be the key to successful public spaces. For example, the success of the new Halifax Public Library was directly related to the design process, which started with a competition.

A design competition for destination buildings will be essential to success and public engagement.

Consider Toronto’s historic Distillery District ​– a pedestrian-oriented public space surrounded by heritage buildings that is regarded as one of Canada’s premier arts, culture and entertainment districts. People throng to the area year-round, and it is a successful place for businesses.

Modern residential development provides a critical mass of regular foot traffic and all the parking is off-site or underground. The place feels safe and is inviting. Should we want any less for the ByWard Market?

Funding:

The city can explore funding tools within its own mandate: vacant building fees, expropriation of derelict property and progressive increases in taxation of surface parking lots combined with incentives, such as the deferral or waiver of development charges, that promote development.

Select areas could be the subject of design competitions to be sold to developers, similar to the Edmonton Missing Middle competition. Rejecting the privatization of public assets is essential if we want to learn from our mistakes and ensure we have a positive, lasting, legacy for future generations.

Public engagement:

A progressive, bolder, design for the public realm is necessary. We should link the implementation of the Public Realm Plan to other city policy objectives, including our new Official Plan. Vision Zero, 15-minute neighbourhoods, better urban design and use of sustainable transportation are all possible in a #BetterByWard.

Located next to the Rideau LRT, and within walking distance of most of downtown, the Market could be an incubator for testing how to support small businesses in a post-COVID economy, creating the walkable, sustainable community we all aspire to.

The ByWard Market holds a special place in Ottawa’s heart. Let’s set a bold vision for excellence and open the door to innovative and creative designs that focus on people.

Toon Dreessen is president of Ottawa-based Architects DCA and past-president of the Ontario Association of Architects.
https://obj.ca/article/local/dreesse...ion-excellence

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Maybe they should look at a reduced schedule. St Jacobs only operates twice a week, which means actual farmers and artisans have an incentive to go to the market to sell, few can commit to operating a stall 7 days a week, which encourages the resellers.

In a lot of European cities, he the market theme changes. It might be produce one day, flowers, the next, antiques the next, etc.
This is why Byward (if it's to have a "market") needs to be an urban market, with a farmers' component, rather than a farmer's market. Whatever is happening there needs to be happening at least six days a week. How to do that without forcing the remaining food stores out of business will be a challenge. I do like the idea of "rotation" - a weekly flea market would be a cool addition. Perhaps farmers once or twice a week in street kiosks (or, off their trucks).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 3:22 PM

The "reference building" I keep thinking of for what this Destination Building might be like is the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market:

Ideally with a microbrew located close by too:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Pandemic has created a moment to make a big move to revamp the ByWard Market, advocates say
City council on Jan. 27 will vote on a new public realm plan for the ByWard Market.

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jan 18, 2021 • 53 minutes ago • 4 minute read

The ByWard Market is Ottawa’s downtown and it deserves the attention of governments when the time comes to doling out stimulus money in a post-pandemic national capital.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury and restaurateur John Borsten made that argument during a walkabout of the tourist district, which had the eerie feeling of an abandoned town on a grey winter day as eateries, retailers and other businesses stayed dark during the provincial economic shutdown to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Still, Fleury and Borsten saw light ahead when it came to the future of the historic market district, thanks to a new city plan to upgrade the design and quality of infrastructure in most of the municipally owned space.

Yes, it’s another plan for the ByWard Market.

A lot of time and money have been spent thinking about the market area by both the municipal government and the National Capital Commission, but Fleury is confident that all the studies have led to today’s potential for action.

City council on Jan. 27 will vote on a new public realm plan for the ByWard Market after the finance and economic development committee last month threw its full support behind the $129-million blueprint.

The money is an issue, though.

The city needs the other levels of government to help make the plan a reality, raising the risk of the ByWard Market falling to the side in favour of other municipal priorities, the largest being public transit.

However, Fleury likes the market’s chances if the governments launch stimulus programs to boost infrastructure and the economy after the pandemic.

In fact, COVID-19 might work in the market’s favour in the long run. Fleury said the pandemic has highlighted the importance of creating better outdoor spaces in busy mixed-use communities.

So far, the city has sorted one of the governance questions by establishing the arm’s-length Ottawa Markets to oversee city assets, like the central ByWard Market building, and develop programming in the district.

There have already been upgrades to the market’s public realm, such as the George Street plaza outside of the central market building and the William Street pedestrian walkway between George Street and Rideau Street. Those two projects helped set the vision for a grand pedestrian entranceway to the ByWard Market from Rideau Station and the Rideau Centre.

Now, the city has a blueprint for the entire district, even down to the design of the light poles.

It might be dismissed by some locals as a tourist trap, or unfairly slagged as a dangerous place to be after dark, but there’s no mistaking that the ByWard Market is one of the city’s top draws and, with tourism being the most important private-sector industry in the city, an important contributor to the economy.

The district needs a physical makeover and it starts with the assets that the city can control.

“We’re getting to the point where, if you don’t do this, we’re going to watch it crumble into the sea,” Borsten said.

Fleury and Borsten stopped at York Street and ByWard Market Square, and reflected on the awkwardness of the current design, with an island of car parking in the middle of a super-wide publicly owned concrete corridor. The public realm plan prioritizes a transformation in the space to create a “flex plaza” between ByWard Market Square and Sussex Drive to accommodate different uses, such as festivals and outdoor dining. There would even be more trees.

Another major project proposed in the plan is the demolition of the parking garage and retail building at 70 Clarence St. to build something new with a private-sector redevelopment partner. The new building would face a civic square.

The walkabout happened just days after Borsten acquired the old Fish Market building to add at least two new restaurants to his ByWard Market portfolio, which includes the The Grand, Zak’s Diner and Metropolitain Brasserie.

Borsten, a member of the ByWard Market BIA, said the city’s public-realm plan has a virtually universal buy-in from businesses in the district.

“I’ve never seen less opposition to anything that’s happening in the ByWard Market in my life. Everybody is on side, 100 per cent,” he said.

City infrastructure like roads, sidewalks and old hydro poles need to be upgraded anyway, so it makes sense to improve the aesthetics of the market district now if millions of dollars will be required for that lifecycle work, Fleury said.

While debate often rages about how much of the city-owned space in the market should be for motorists versus pedestrians, Fleury said there needs to be deep consideration of logistics if more streets are closed. One issue he raised is ground-floor retailers relying on deliveries.

Borsten said he has watched infrastructure projects in other parts of the city while the ByWard Market chugs along with a tired public realm and rundown infrastructure.

No longer should the market’s future be shoved to the city’s backburner, Borsten said.

“It’s the market’s turn.”

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-advocates-say

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:09 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

ByWard businesses say it's their turn for a revamp
City's $129M plan to reconfigure historic market district heads to council Wednesday

Kate Porter · CBC News
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: January 22

A $129-million plan to rejuvenate the historic ByWard Market heads to Ottawa city council for approval next week, and business owners say it's about time the downtown area saw some civic love by way of upgrades.

As it nears its 200th anniversary, Ottawa's original commercial district is still at the top of sightseeing lists, but many people who live and work there say it's looking run down.

Even city staff referred to the market as a "district in distress" before presenting revitalization plans to Ottawa's finance committee last month.

The idea is to make better use of the city's 10 hectares of the market, mostly its streets. The city plans to "reclaim" 3.2 hectares of that space for pedestrians by widening sidewalks for patios and benches, and reconfiguring roadways so whole streets can be closed for events and festivals.

The aging municipal garage at the market's core would be replaced by a new "destination" building with much-needed public washrooms. William Street would be the only street permanently closed to traffic.

At the "gateway" to the area, the ramp over the sombre pedestrian underpass at Sussex Drive and Rideau Street could be demolished to make the area brighter and improve cycling connections.

"It's the biggest thing to happen down here since I've been around," said John Borsten, owner of the Metropolitain Brasserie, The Grand Pizzeria and for 35 years, Zak's Diner.

The way Borsten sees it, if the city needs to redo sidewalks and install new lampposts anyway, it might as well do the job right and create wide, flexible public spaces that can be used for events such as Canada Day.

"I think the future of the ByWard Market depends on it happening," he said.

Borsten and partners have just bought the old building that housed the Fish Market restaurant at the prominent corner of York and William streets, a building that has borne witness to countless changes over its nearly 150 years. Someday, when the pandemic is over, the streetscape outside its doors might host a concert for 7,500 people.

York Street, with its wide roadway and strip of parking spaces down the middle, is the city's top priority for the revamp.

"It's a giant boulevard. It's just wasted. It's just surface parking," said Borsten.

Mandy Gosewich looks out on York Street from her boutique, STUNNING! Fashion + Accessories. As a girl, she would see live chickens for sale on the street when she visited her shopkeeper grandparents in the ByWard Market.

She's the fourth generation in her family to operate a business in the market and says times are changing yet again, with younger generations less dependant on cars and keener on open public spaces, especially since the pandemic.

This past summer, Gosewich watched as families spent whole days in the ByWard Market when the city closed off streets for patios.

"It was really wonderful to see the amount of people who were down here hanging out," she said. "It really brought back the vibe of the market that had gone away."

Like Borsten, she thinks it's the market's turn for some municipal attention.

"Lansdowne has been a huge focus for the city, and I think their cup has runneth over, and I think it's time to give love back to the ByWard Market," said Gosewich.

While city council is expected to approve the plan on Jan. 27, it doesn't yet have the money for a dozen projects pegged at $129 million.

Coun. Mathieu Fleury says the cost is comparable to a couple of road renewals, and believes the city can make the case for funding. The revamp creates coveted public outdoor space, and helps local businesses and farmers recover from the pandemic. Plus the National Capital Commission already has a major stake, he points out.

"It just checks so many of those boxes when you think of a federal or provincial [funding] application," said Fleury.

Others with a stake in the ByWard Market have seen enough ideas come and go that they're not counting on the full plan to happen, or at least happen quickly.

This time, however, the area's blend of retailers, restaurants, bars and homes appear more unified and supportive than they have in the past. That said, the perennial disagreement over parking versus pedestrian space continues.

Some shops maintain that losing parking will harm sales because their customer bases extend beyond the neighbourhood, and most shoppers simply won't walk far with heavy bags.

"We have been assured by the politicians that most of the parking that will be removed will be replaced, so I'm optimistic about that," said John Diener of longstanding Saslove's Meat Market.

Diener, who also lives in the ByWard Market, hopes this will be the plan to finally lift up an area that looks more "tired" as each year goes by.

"We're hoping that the great majority of these things actually do take place, because I think it would be great for the city and certainly great for the area."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...oval-1.5881858

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:16 PM

I know ottawa "market" is pretty small compared to other big cities in the world but a timeout market would attract people in the byward. In lisboa, the first one they open, its a destination by itself. Would put ottawa on an international scale in some sort of way, with a bit of exageration lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital613 View Post
I know ottawa "market" is pretty small compared to other big cities in the world but a timeout market would attract people in the byward. In lisboa, the first one they open, its a destination by itself. Would put ottawa on an international scale in some sort of way, with a bit of exageration lol
Could be a possible tenant for the new "destination" building.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Jim Watson
@JimWatsonOttawa

I believe we have a similar opportunity in 2027. That’s why I am announcing the creation of an Organizing Committee that I will chair to plan the celebrations of the 200th anniversary of the ByWard Market – just six years from now.

10:55 AM · Jan 27, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...57997217587205

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Jim Watson
@JimWatsonOttawa

I’m impressed with the @OttawaMarkets new Farmers First policy. Although many new markets have sprung up across the city in recent years, we need to once again attract farmers & local producers to the ByWard Market – where it all started.

This Farmers First approach will help us do just that by offering free stalls to new farmers and giving incentives for local producers – and I’m pleased that the City will help support these efforts.

10:57 AM · Jan 27, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...58629668265985

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:58 PM

ByWard Market Public Realm plan unanimously approved by Council.

https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...72294693937159

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:41 PM

What does this mean in terms of shovels in the ground? Are we a couple of years away from seeing anything concrete being approved and funded?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital613 View Post
Timeout Markets are definitely destinations (or at least they were pre-Covid). I've only been to the ones in Montreal and Boston. The Montreal one is right downtown, so it draws lots of office workers and shoppers, but the Boston one is out of the core and still had big crowds. When I was there they had live music and some sort of yoga event outside, and it was absolutely packed. No question the same idea would work well in the Market here, especially given that it is surrounded by more and more residential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues