HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:31 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
On to my point...All-in-all it's not a bad design. I too wish it were taller. But, it is not a bad design. It will look great in SA's skyline.

Maybe this is a Frost thing - have naming rights on towers in which many people's opinion would look better as stretched versions of themselves. Also, did anyone else notice that Frost in Austin and now in SA look like versions of nose-hair clippers? Hee, hee...

One thing I will caution people on is the belief that (1) this tower, if built, will spur more development. And (2) that this tower will push the envelope in tower design in SA. Both of those beliefs may be unfounded.

One tower will not "spur" more development (or design)...the market conditions will.

Second, when in a third-tier or lower city (in which SA - and Austin - are), one tower's design will not force other developments to match or succeed a specific design standard. For example, look at Austin, what other "iconic" tower, from an architectural standpoint, has been built since Frost was delivered by Cousins Properties in 2004? None. Even as this tower will fall to between the 5th tallest and 10th tallest tower in Austin by 2020, none of the under construction or currently proposed towers which might supplant Frost in height are "iconic" (now, I will say that The Independent could be considered "iconic" to some).

Again, to those who continue to believe that the construction of Frost-Austin spurred further development and better design of skyscrapers in downtown Austin...I'd temper your expectations.

The market dictates everything. If a building is built, its location, its size, its design, etc. is all up to market conditions (most importantly: demand). And in cities other than Tier 1 or Tier 2, design takes a big back seat. Architecturally, there is not enough need or competition to create really cool, unique, or one-of-a-kind tower in this level of city.

Reality is what it is...however, there is no harm in hoping (...or is there)?
My comment about this building possibly helping to spur more development downtown extends only so far as to suggest that it will be a test to see how attractive downtown is as an office market in San Antonio. The downtown market has had no new supply (in a modern space) in almost three decades. Frost Bank will take their space in the building and lease the rest (around 150,000 square feet) to other companies. How fast that space goes and the interest that is shown in it could possibly spur more office development.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 3:48 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
One thing I will caution people on is the belief that (1) this tower, if built, will spur more development. And (2) that this tower will push the envelope in tower design in SA. Both of those beliefs may be unfounded.
I think these two beliefs have much more to do with overcoming obstacles which are not wholly economic in nature.

#1 means maintaining a positive image for downtown . Sure, market demand is the most important thing. But where does that demand come from, anyways? When a business chooses to move or expand in greater San Antonio what is that convinces them to choose downtown possibly at a cost premium?

#2 would be about convincing local leaders who can and do sometimes impede developments that there is room for more innovative architecture in the city. Even if market forces very rarely result in a landmark being proposed, giving it a chance to rise out of the ground slightly increases the odds of it happening.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfromtexas View Post
my comment about this building possibly helping to spur more development downtown extends only so far as to suggest that it will be a test to see how attractive downtown is as an office market in san antonio. The downtown market has had no new supply (in a modern space) in almost three decades. Frost bank will take their space in the building and lease the rest (around 150,000 square feet) to other companies. How fast that space goes and the interest that is shown in it could possibly spur more office development.
upvote.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 10:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

This has been posted, but it's worth posting again. It's a pretty informative article about the building.

http://therivardreport.com/frost-ban...y-san-antonio/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 11:26 PM
Paradise

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 1:05 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
Do you mind posting the images so we can see them? Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 3:59 AM
Paradise

^ You can't see them through the link when you click on the pdf?

Here they are if you can't.

Street level looks really good.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 5:07 AM

A nice aerial showing the Frost site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...qZF8bIwz7RM%3A
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Didn't this turnout to be a bunch of BS.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 7:10 PM
Meh

I actually think it still will. I was actually in San Antonio yesterday and went up into the Tower of the Americas, and I noticed this will be the only real blue glass building in downtown. Right now the bluest glass building you guys have is One Riverwalk Place, and it's really more black than blue.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 8:23 PM

A Beautifully Designed Building

I LOVE the new Frost Bank Tower design.
I understand a lot of the forum writers on this website are pretty upset about the height of the building. I am not. It is a beautifully designed building by the architect firm, Pelli Clarke Pelli. This world class firm designs the world's most recognizable buildings. And this Frost Tower is one of them. An iconic building does NOT have to be a city's tallest building. It will be beautifully lit up at night, as well, and will be seen as another outstanding landmark of the city of San Antonio!
The next step is this Wednesday, July 20th, when the building design goes up for approval from the Historical Commission.
We must not mess this one up!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I love the design and the height is realistic. While it would be nice to think that banks would just loan a developer a ton of money to build 600-800 foot skyscrapers...they also want you to prove that there is a need for that much space. Any new commercial development downtown is a plus and this one sets the bar for any new projects that come along after it.

This is off topic, but the devon tower in OKC looks absolutely goofy in relation to the rest of their skyline.
You hit it right on the money, Tornado!
The Devon Tower in OKC does look ridiculous next to their skyline.
You get it!
It takes lots of planning to insert a new glass tower into a skyline, and make it look good and right!!
This is exactly what the Pelli firm did, and I might add, did it extremely well!!
A job well done!!!
The new Frost Tower is going to look awesome during the day and spectacular at night!!!!
And I will be waiting to see this beautifully designed tower go up from my residential building!!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 1:45 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I [continue to] dig it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 12:23 AM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, UrbanTerrace.

Poor Travis Street. It gets the loading bays and garage exit. They seemed to get in about as much ground level retail in as they could, so that makes me happy. Who owns the land across Houston Street between N. Flores and Camaron? If ground level retail goes in there it will suddenly be a great block.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Thanks, UrbanTerrace.

Poor Travis Street. It gets the loading bays and garage exit. They seemed to get in about as much ground level retail in as they could, so that makes me happy. Who owns the land across Houston Street between N. Flores and Camaron? If ground level retail goes in there it will suddenly be a great block.
"Poor Travis Street. It gets the loading bays and garage exit."

Yup, ole William Barret, still playing second fiddle to Sam Houston after all these years.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:47 AM

That's what you get for building a downtown with only one alley.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 1:28 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Thanks, UrbanTerrace.

Weston Urban ended up with it at the end of the land swap. I believe it used to belong to Frost.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 7:48 PM
James

Today is the day we see if it's approved! Anyone going or know of anyone going to the meeting?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:41 PM
James

New Frost Tower building clears first regulatory hurdle

Quote:
The San Antonio Historic and Design Review Commission unanimously approved the 23-story tower, designed by renowned international architecture firm Pelli Clarke Pelli, on a vote of 8-0. Local developer Weston Urban, which is building the tower with Dallas firm KDC, will return for final approval in the fall.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/real-est...ry-8399276.php

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 9:43 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Today is the day we see if it's approved! Anyone going or know of anyone going to the meeting?
The meetings are at 3pm on Wednesdays, they certainly don't make it easy for people working 8-5 to attend...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio