HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 5:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

The top floor will feature 4 luxury apartments, 3 of them lofts and 1 an accessible apartment. The middle floor is being prepared for an operational centre of an as-of-yet unknown company and the main floor will house a cafe. The main floor and basement will also house a multi-purpose experience centre where people can taste wine, make cocktails or learn to cook.
Excellent addition to St George Street, and an excellent example of repurposing of an architecturally significant building. Definite win-win!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 6:54 PM

Anybody know what's happening here on Steadman St.? Construction fence, etc has been there for a while.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I don't think it's a construction fence. I think it is just an extra level of defence (an additional barricade) against vagrants getting into the house and taking up residence. The property is vacant and the lower level windows are boarded up. The house is for sale I believe.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:19 AM

That property and the one next to it both sold on November 16th. 325k and 535k respectively.

Also, on the opposite side of Steadman( behind comic hunter) and opposite it on Rabbi Lippa Medjuck Street;
These sold on Aug 28th. 652k and 312k respectively.

Interesting consolidation of properties perhaps?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting indeed. It would be very nice to have these two buildings demolished and to have a substantial apartment building constructed. A large building here would be highly visible to eastbound traffic on Queen Street, and would complement FiveFive Queen nearby..........

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:24 AM

Combined $860,000. That seems pretty steep price for property to knock them down isn’t it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Interesting indeed. It would be very nice to have these two buildings demolished and to have a substantial apartment building constructed. A large building here would be highly visible to eastbound traffic on Queen Street, and would complement FiveFive Queen nearby..........

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Combined $860,000. That seems pretty steep price for property to knock them down isn’t it?
It seems like they've made the purchase to obtain the land. Those buildings wouldn't be worth that price. I would say that we'll eventually see them demolished and something built on the property. And I think it would have to be something pretty substantial so it would generate enough rental income to justify the hefty cost that they've paid.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
That property and the one next to it both sold on November 16th. 325k and 535k respectively.

Also, on the opposite side of Steadman( behind comic hunter) and opposite it on Rabbi Lippa Medjuck Street;
These sold on Aug 28th. 652k and 312k respectively.

Interesting consolidation of properties perhaps?
The ones one Rabbi Lippa Medjuck Street were part of the big restructuring that Heritage did in the summer. They wanted to separate their land holdings from their building properties so they moved the land holdings from one part of the company to the other. It was most parking, but there was some undeveloped parcels.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:54 PM

gussing from the orientation of these pictures the yellow one is being fully gutted and renovated into 10 units.

https://www.facebook.com/bseenterpis...16615358572361

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
gussing from the orientation of these pictures the yellow one is being fully gutted and renovated into 10 units.

https://www.facebook.com/bseenterpis...16615358572361
Great sleuthing!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Hipster View Post
Great sleuthing!
Indeed!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The ones one Rabbi Lippa Medjuck Street were part of the big restructuring that Heritage did in the summer. They wanted to separate their land holdings from their building properties so they moved the land holdings from one part of the company to the other. It was most parking, but there was some undeveloped parcels.

Ah yes I remember this now. Thank you

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

51 Highfield is showing up on the CCD Canada website.

An Ashford project. When a project shows up on CCD, this indicates serious intent. I expect ground to break on this later this fall, or next spring.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 12:27 PM

I'm not sure when this happened but I noticed today that the Tim Hortons location on Albert has been demolished. Not exactly surprising, they rely on office workers and aren't in a very great spot of town along with issues Tim's have been having over the past 10 years losing customers.

That lot might become abit more attractive in the next few years if the rumored project at the old Co-Op location happens.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm not sure when this happened but I noticed today that the Tim Hortons location on Albert has been demolished. Not exactly surprising, they rely on office workers and aren't in a very great spot of town along with issues Tim's have been having over the past 10 years losing customers.

That lot might become abit more attractive in the next few years if the rumored project at the old Co-Op location happens.
I think it was torn down in December.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:54 PM

I noticed driving through Main st this morning looking for a good place to buy coffee, and noticed "Sidewalk Closed" signs from Lutz st to the Times & Transcript. With double blockades in front of the boarded up subway block building. And of course, a homeless person sleeping in one of the doorways.

So, question is, is there something on this building falling off due to recent high winds or is the city giving the homeless privacy? I'm not being insensitive to the homeless here, it just looked that way when driving by, because of the recent talks in the past concerning pedestrian safety.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I will give the city the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't cordon off a major downtown sidewalk for the protection of a homeless persons privacy.

More likely they've discovered a structural deficiency in the facade of the Subway Block. Yet another indication that the city can't dwaddle any further on this situation. The Subway Block needs to be stablized or demolished!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
I noticed driving through Main st this morning looking for a good place to buy coffee, and noticed "Sidewalk Closed" signs from Lutz st to the Times & Transcript. With double blockades in front of the boarded up subway block building. And of course, a homeless person sleeping in one of the doorways.

So, question is, is there something on this building falling off due to recent high winds or is the city giving the homeless privacy? I'm not being insensitive to the homeless here, it just looked that way when driving by, because of the recent talks in the past concerning pedestrian safety.
The homeless person was asked to leave on several occasions (ive seen RCMP there more than once) and either eventually comes back or its an entirely different person. Issuing a ticket to a homeless person that can't pay for it is a waste of time (they tried this in BC and paid more in court fees getting the tickets paid than the tickets themselves). So at this point unless they are going to arrest the person (just wastes more public resources and eventually puts the person back in the same situation in a few months) they should just block the sheltered area off. Or like MonctonRad said, have the building demolished if nothing will be built or renovated there.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 4:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If this is the case, then this is appalling.

It makes no sense to block off an entire sidewalk, inconveniencing hundreds of pedestrians per day just so that a homeless person can squat undisturbed.

One can argue that this is a public safety issue in that pedestrians have to cross the street (Main Street twice, and Foundry Street once) to get from one end of downtown to the other because of this unnecessary detour. Every time you cross the street, there is a risk of a car/pedestrian MVA (especially on Foundry).

As I have said, this cannot be allowed to stand. This person is a squatter and a trespasser. He is a public nuisance. He should be removed and transported to a homeless shelter. This is for his own protection and security. If he returns to the Subway Block then he should be arrested and jailed, again for his own protection and security.

This approach might seem aggressive to some, but it is for the good of the many rather than the convenience of the one. Do I expect the city to do this during a municipal election? Not on your life...…………

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post

As long as the wet shelter is across the street, that lot will not be attractive to a developer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces